ADVERTISEMENT

Final: Sherando 16 Kettle Run 14

Great post. I think some may be saying things just to say something funny, other probably do believe this sissified thing. But I really don't think it has anything to do with rules or anything like that, I really think it's like the people "well back in my day, we had to walk to school barefoot in the snow" thing.

You're right, and perhaps I misread it (I hope that's the case) but it's an all too similar theme on this board and it's mystifyingly stupid to me. The kickoff is a dumb, archaic play from a time when players couldn't come close to hitting the EZ like they do now (of 1,036 kickoffs in the NFL last year, there was a whole 7 TDs and teams averaged a whole 2 returns a game) and as I said, it's by far the most dangerous play in the game, it's just 11 people building up a 30-40 yard head of steam and crashing into other people, no other play resembles it.

I think they should eliminate kicking all together. Go for on every 4th down, go for 2 after touchdowns, no field goals, start from the 20 or 25 after your opponent scores. Kickers aren't football players anyway, usually...and they end up being way too important to the outcome of games.

You're right, and perhaps I misread it (I hope that's the case) but it's an all too similar theme on this board and it's mystifyingly stupid to me. The kickoff is a dumb, archaic play from a time when players couldn't come close to hitting the EZ like they do now (of 1,036 kickoffs in the NFL last year, there was a whole 7 TDs and teams averaged a whole 2 returns a game) and as I said, it's by far the most dangerous play in the game, it's just 11 people building up a 30-40 yard head of steam and crashing into other people, no other play resembles it.

I could have been wrong, I just like to give people the benefit of doubt. I say at least one was trying to be funny because a lot of his posts are funny

I think they should eliminate kicking all together. Go for on every 4th down, go for 2 after touchdowns, no field goals, start from the 20 or 25 after your opponent scores. Kickers aren't football players anyway, usually...and they end up being way too important to the outcome of games.

You have a right to your opinion, but I think it is wrong and could be seen as disrespectful. Kicking is a big part of game. Just look no further than the Louisa EV game, punting played a huge part with field position. And in our area where we dont have the luxury of the size of teams in larger classes, I can say without question that some of the punters certainly are football players.

I am sure these kids work extremely hard, and kicking is a specialized gift, and in the cases of good ones it gets them free college, which is never a bad thing. Also long snappers.

This is a tremendously ignorant post. The kickoff is by leaps and bounds the most dangerous play in the game, the changes made are done with the hope of preventing serious injury up to and including things like CTE, a terrible byproduct of the modern sport. This is the single dumbest attitude, that because you lived a healthy life playing a sport and the sport for sure has never changed (it has) that you feel comfortable sitting in the stands and are okay with people getting injured in a game.

Newsflash You played a MUCH different game. You never played against OL that average 250+ in high school or 300+ in college, you never saw a 17 year old LB who weighed 240 lb and could run a 4.6, you played against a bunch of kids whose idea of lifting was probably 10 minutes a day doing curls.

Force = Mass x Acceleration. If something weighs a lot and has a lot of speed, it imparts more force upon impact, which is why an 8 year old can run at you as hard as they want and they'll bounce off but I guarantee you that you don't have the balls to go stand in front of Aaron Donald and ask him to hit you. CTE wasn't an issue when you grew up because everyone weighed damn near 50-100lb less across the board and they weren't remotely in the same physical condition.

Any honest man here should be capable of saying the game, even at the high school level, is a much different beast than when they were growing up. This "they're sissifying the game" attitude must change, unless you are just hellbent on seeing injury and death. There are HS kids now going into college with CTE, it's a deadly serious issue. The Wazzu QB that killed himself this year was found to have had CTE. It's such a tremendously dumb stance to take, what you have, instead of realizing that the game has changed and rules must change with it and that we as adults are responsible for ensuring the safety of these kids whenever possible. A lot of people had a similar stance as you when they finally forced people to wear leather helmets. You know who had to do it? Teddy Roosevelt. The reason? SEVEN KIDS DIED. Too many people died and the freaking president had to step in and make a change. People are dying and suffering right now because of CTE. I have no idea why the response to "let's make it a safer game" is "boo, safe game, boo", it's asinine.
Point taken. I like hard hitting football, but I don't like seeing kids carted off. Head injuries used to be from leading with your head in a tackle or block, which is dangerous and players are supposed to be coached not to do this. Yes, the players have gotten bigger, and faster, so when they make a safe hard hit, their brain can still rattle around in their skull and cause injuries. I get it. But I also think it's a risk you take/accept when you suit up, just like when you put on a pair of skis, hop on a motorcycle, or get behind the wheel. You never know what's gonna happen, so make your choices with an educated thought process. And enjoy life.

You have a right to your opinion, but I think it is wrong and could be seen as disrespectful. Kicking is a big part of game. Just look no further than the Louisa EV game, punting played a huge part with field position. And in our area where we dont have the luxury of the size of teams in larger classes, I can say without question that some of the punters certainly are football players.

I am sure these kids work extremely hard, and kicking is a specialized gift, and in the cases of good ones it gets them free college, which is never a bad thing. Also long snappers.
Yeah, I hear you, I was just trying to be a protagonist. I was a long snapper who received scholarship offers but chose the Marine Corps instead. The "not being football players" was more a shot at the upper levels of college and the NFL. The kids in high school that kick are definitely football players. If you stop and think about football without punts it could be pretty interesting, would certainly change offensive mentality. I for one would like to see it. For a while there I don't think Louisa ever punted. They would go for it deep in their own territory.

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
Yeah, I hear you, I was just trying to be a protagonist. I was a long snapper who received scholarship offers but chose the Marine Corps instead. The "not being football players" was more a shot at the upper levels of college and the NFL. The kids in high school that kick are definitely football players. If you stop and think about football without punts it could be pretty interesting, would certainly change offensive mentality. I for one would like to see it. For a while there I don't think Louisa ever punted. They would go for it deep in their own territory.
Thank God for you and the service you provided @FoxesPride!

Certainly would be interesting to see, but I dont think ones who really utilize a special special teams is wrong either. Most people absolutely hated that Alabama LSU game a few years ago that was 9-6, not enough offense. I loved it.

You coaching know just like I do as a coach how important being good at all 3 is a plus.

Point taken. I like hard hitting football, but I don't like seeing kids carted off. Head injuries used to be from leading with your head in a tackle or block, which is dangerous and players are supposed to be coached not to do this. Yes, the players have gotten bigger, and faster, so when they make a safe hard hit, their brain can still rattle around in their skull and cause injuries. I get it. But I also think it's a risk you take/accept when you suit up, just like when you put on a pair of skis, hop on a motorcycle, or get behind the wheel. You never know what's gonna happen, so make your choices with an educated thought process. And enjoy life.

Sorry for snapping, I just think it's of utmost importance to make the game as safe as we can so these players don't hit their 30s and can't remember what a toaster does. I agree that the risk is assumed but I equate it to anything else with assumed risk, like driving a car and just because it's there doesn't mean we shouldn't stop improving safety in cars. It's also very important for the long-term survival of the game. CTE has parents (rightfully) spooked, improving on that issue will keep kids in the sport.

Certainly would be interesting to see, but I dont think ones who really utilize a special special teams is wrong either. Most people absolutely hated that Alabama LSU game a few years ago that was 9-6, not enough offense. I loved it.

You coaching know just like I do as a coach how important being good at all 3 is a plus.
Absolutely...I love a 9-6 game. I hate watching the Big 12...no defense!

Reactions: ClarkeFan83
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT