ADVERTISEMENT

Final: Western Albemarle 38 Louisa 30

Hey this may the best thing for Louisa except for losing top seed to Dinwiddie and home field through the playoffs! Winning is good but being undefeated can swell your head and sometime this happens! Rather lose now and have 1 loss than have 1 loss in the playoffs and go home! Lions will be ok and remember I was the one that warned the JD about Louisa a couple years ago when most on here saying they had no claws! The scary thing is they are young and may be even better next year! I believe this loss will make them more focused and more determined! Good luck Lions !

Louisa defense has to improve/get healthy. They stopped much better running games all year, then Western comes out and slices them up with the run. That's my concern.

Keep in mind Louisa did a good job against decent passing offenses in Sherando and Albemarle. Yes Sherando has always been a run-first team, but their QB is the best Louisa has faced so far, and their running game wasn't as good as I'm positive it is today. The Lions were more focused on stopping the pass against those teams. Every other team had more threatening running games, which is one reason why Louisa has gotten beat by the pass a few times. The other reason, as I have stated for weeks now, is the secondary is small in size. That's their main weakness. Then most of them were playing sick against WA. Strep, fever, vomiting, etc. I didn't want to say it as it comes off as more excuses, but it's true. Louisa will have to give more safety help these next three games like against Sherando. Monticello, Orange, and Cville all have good passing QBs. Orange can beat us by 50 if we don't get it together!

Sherando QB was 16-21 187 yards 2 Td's against Louisa in his first varsity football game ever, I wish we would have passed more.

I agree, I'm glad you didn't, but he was also sacked a bunch and the majority of the stats were on two drives with some good playcalling.

Finally got to see the film of the game. Louisa gave Western the ball inside there 20 twice in the 1st quarter simply because the punter was 15 yards deep to receive the snap on both turnovers. If he had been 12 or 13 yards as all punters should in HS then both snaps would have been fielded easily as they both went 12 yards before hitting the ground. I hope the coaches catch this and correct it. As a result of this mis-allignment they go for it on 4th and 4 from their own 25 the next series and don't get it. Westerns average starting field position for the 1st half was the Louisa 44 and they had 7 possessions. I said it earlier and It came true, poor special teams play cost them a game. I will say it again, Louisa can play with anyone in the state but if they don't get better on special teams they will lose a game in the Play offs that they should win. Just as they did Friday.

Here is our explanation on the punting and kicking, and I'll give my opinions on them. Our long snapper is able to snap the ball 20 yards easily. He didn't start long snapping until the second game. Sometimes our punter lines up 10 yards deep, sometimes 15. Sometimes the staff wants him to have more space, I assume because our punting protection is atrocious. My opinion is if you line the punter up 15 yards deep, it just makes him have to punt it farther. So on any given punt, that will help us in a huge way, or hurt. Against WA, the long snapper wore gloves for the first two punts, and apparently he never wears them snapping in practice on 15 yarders. He was told to take them off for the third punt, and the snap and kick were perfect. Whether our punter was told to line up 15 yards deep on those particular punts, I don't know for sure, but when we have punted near midfield, he has lined up 10 yards deep. I think we just need to pick a spot and be consistent with it, but we have come so close so many times to getting them blocked, I don't know.

I know it's hard for many to believe, with the talent we have, but we just don't have a good kicker who can kick it deep on kickoffs. We can barely make PATs or field goals. Our kickers on average can kick them to around the 17 yard line, which means on average the other team will return them to around their 35. We tried one deep kick to Albemarle, the returner brought it to Louisa's 35. If we had a kicker who can kick it in the endzone, we'd do it. Back in 2006, we had the best kicker we ever had, Eric Church, and he always pooch kicked it super high. It resulted in 21 kickoff turnovers on the season, should've been 22. So we'd rather kick it that way or onside kick it instead of risking a good return that statistics say would be returned to around the other team's 35 on a good day anyway. Personally I'd rather kick it in the endzone every time, IF WE HAD THE ABILITY TO. I'd rather just play defense and make the other team start at their 20. I'm not that risky. Last season we had two soccer players as kickers, but neither were all that good and the better one was kicked off the team due to behavior. And our soccer teams are never exactly good. But I definitely understand both sides of the argument. I hope we get it figured out, because I agree @og charger and I might vomit if special teams gets us beat in the playoffs. But we gotta get healthy and tighten up quickly or this won't be the only loss before the playoffs. Heck anyone can see in the above video that Bell and Whalen were slow due to minor injuries.

By the way, how are you seeing Louisa's film?

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedingNavy
Here is our explanation on the punting and kicking, and I'll give my opinions on them. Our long snapper is able to snap the ball 20 yards easily. He didn't start long snapping until the second game. Sometimes our punter lines up 10 yards deep, sometimes 15. Sometimes the staff wants him to have more space, I assume because our punting protection is atrocious. My opinion is if you line the punter up 15 yards deep, it just makes him have to punt it farther. So on any given punt, that will help us in a huge way, or hurt. Against WA, the long snapper wore gloves for the first two punts, and apparently he never wears them snapping in practice on 15 yarders. He was told to take them off for the third punt, and the snap and kick were perfect. Whether our punter was told to line up 15 yards deep on those particular punts, I don't know for sure, but when we have punted near midfield, he has lined up 10 yards deep. I think we just need to pick a spot and be consistent with it, but we have come so close so many times to getting them blocked, I don't know.

I know it's hard for many to believe, with the talent we have, but we just don't have a good kicker who can kick it deep on kickoffs. We can barely make PATs or field goals. Our kickers on average can kick them to around the 17 yard line, which means on average the other team will return them to around their 35. We tried one deep kick to Albemarle, the returner brought it to Louisa's 35. If we had a kicker who can kick it in the endzone, we'd do it. Back in 2006, we had the best kicker we ever had, Eric Church, and he always pooch kicked it super high. It resulted in 21 kickoff turnovers on the season, should've been 22. So we'd rather kick it that way or onside kick it instead of risking a good return that statistics say would be returned to around the other team's 35 on a good day anyway. Personally I'd rather kick it in the endzone every time, IF WE HAD THE ABILITY TO. I'd rather just play defense and make the other team start at their 20. I'm not that risky. Last season we had two soccer players as kickers, but neither were all that good and the better one was kicked off the team due to behavior. And our soccer teams are never exactly good. But I definitely understand both sides of the argument. I hope we get it figured out, because I agree @og charger and I might vomit if special teams gets us beat in the playoffs. But we gotta get healthy and tighten up quickly or this won't be the only loss before the playoffs. Heck anyone can see in the above video that Bell and Whalen were slow due to minor injuries.

By the way, how are you seeing Louisa's film?

Probably the same way most people are watching film. Not trying to sound like a smart you know what, but its not that hard to watch film on huddle. I saw the game and I thought as you did Hoos about being out coached and hustled by the W.A. Your problem is not your skill as I have mentioned it is upfront. If I am an opposing team I do what W.A. did and just bring it and put 10 guys in the box and take my chances. Louisa has never adjusted to teams doing this in the past and never understood why more teams don't do this. Powhatan did this last week and they are the only team I have seen do this consistently to Louisa.

I was just wondering if he's a parent or knows someone with Louisa Hudl access. I know he said before that he "used" to coach.

WA got out of stacking the box when Louisa went back to the Pistol, then Louisa beat themselves. Stacking the box didn't work out too well for Powhatan, but WA played everyone closer to the LOS.

Probably the same way most people are watching film. Not trying to sound like a smart you know what, but its not that hard to watch film on huddle. I saw the game and I thought as you did Hoos about being out coached and hustled by the W.A. Your problem is not your skill as I have mentioned it is upfront. If I am an opposing team I do what W.A. did and just bring it and put 10 guys in the box and take my chances. Louisa has never adjusted to teams doing this in the past and never understood why more teams don't do this. Powhatan did this last week and they are the only team I have seen do this consistently to Louisa.
This is how I see it also , I actually think Louisa would be even better if they take the bruising QB and put him back there with the other two beasts in the backfield. If Louisa had a QB that could accurately throw over the top and force defenses to be honest , then they would really have something there. Imagine trying to stop that running game with 4 linemen and three LB's and have to respect the 35 yard post because the QB can sling it. That's a state caliber team then. No offense Hoos.

Trust me, I have thought about it so much, as I'm sure many around Louisa have. That's why I hope we can miraculously get DeQuece Carter back from Woodberry to be our QB. Check out his Hudl. Woodberry's coach is stepping down after this season, and Lindell Stone graduates. Carter is just a sophomore and has been killing it at receiver, can play QB and has D1 written all over him. Would've been a 4-year starter for us. I would love to see a junior Carter with seniors Bell, Jones and Whalen for a year. Heck, I've imagined scenarios of them running Scott Abell's Amherst triple option out of the I together, then switching to the pistol looks we run today and slinging that ball everywhere. Deadly. We'd be competing for state titles most years if we could just keep all our talent in Louisa. I doubt Carter returns, but the changes at Woodberry make it a more realistic possibility. Plus he and our sophomore MLB Brandon Smith (he just visited UMD Saturday) are good friends, would love to see them playing in the green and gold together.

So, obviously, no offense taken to that. :D

Last edited:
If Carter has D1 written all over him, and I agree that he does, there would not be much benefit to going back to Louisa and playing lesser competition and getting fewer looks from big time college programs.

The competition thing is overblown. If you're good, have a good support system that takes you on visits to colleges and camps, and good coach who helps expose you, you'll get looks no matter where you play. Look at Chancellor, Courtland, Salem and Sherando as examples. Or Heath Miller from Honaker, or the Barber brothers from Cave Spring. Or Kerry Wynn at Louisa, he didn't play football until his senior year, then played at UR, now he's in the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: gwb16
The competition thing is overblown. If you're good, have a good support system that takes you on visits to colleges and camps, and good coach who helps expose you, you'll get looks no matter where you play. Look at Chancellor, Courtland, Salem and Sherando as examples. Or Heath Miller from Honaker, or the Barber brothers from Cave Spring. Or Kerry Wynn at Louisa, he didn't play football until his senior year, then played at UR, now he's in the NFL.
True....if you fit the mold (size/speed) you will get plenty of looks. You don't really have to be very good....just gotta hit certain numbers

Hoos....I'm interested in the Louisa/Orange game next week. Can't get a handle on Orange. Saw them play EV (at Orange). I must say that the coach there has them looking like a real football team again. They played with some guts in the 1st half but EV just had too much for too long.....pushed them all over the field in the 2nd half. If Orange scores early they may give your boys some problems. I would assume Louisa can take over in the 2nd half.

Hoos....I'm interested in the Louisa/Orange game next week. Can't get a handle on Orange. Saw them play EV (at Orange). I must say that the coach there has them looking like a real football team again. They played with some guts in the 1st half but EV just had too much for too long.....pushed them all over the field in the 2nd half. If Orange scores early they may give your boys some problems. I would assume Louisa can take over in the 2nd half.
I watched the EV game as well, also Orange/WA. Definitely a big difference between the two games, but WA's best defensive lineman didn't play for much of that game. Orange is starting to play up to their talent level, so if we play like we did against WA, it'll get ugly in a hurry. You have to wonder how they only scored 13 points against Powhatan.

I watched the EV game as well, also Orange/WA. Definitely a big difference between the two games, but WA's best defensive lineman didn't play for much of that game. Orange is starting to play up to their talent level, so if we play like we did against WA, it'll get ugly in a hurry. You have to wonder how they only scored 13 points against Powhatan.
That big RB for Orange should dominate consistently...he can check out of games though if it's not going his way.

The Indians defense is no slouch is how Orange was contained. In reality the Lions scored 2 of their touchdowns off miscues (one fumble and one interception) by the Indians backup QB. The D has been playing well all season but offense needs a spark. Hopefully when Oglesby returns behind center they will have it.

Reactions: Snookasuperstar
In real reality, Louisa's offense ran up and down the field and the defense brought the pressure to force that fumble. And let's not act like Powhatan's starting QB never turns it over, or didn't play against an Orange team they scored 15 points against.

Last edited:
Just the facts no acts:

Their first touchdown at 9:22 of the second quarter came on a 1-yard run by Job Whalen, which was set up by an interception by Malik Minor.

Their second came on a 66-yard run by RaQuan Jones 2:29 before halftime on the first play after a fumble recovery by Devin Jackson-McGhee.

As it frequently occurs, 2 fans have completely different views. Objectivity is lost. But this is 95% of the board. Eventually you find who's opinion actually means something credible.

Patience.

As it frequently occurs, 2 fans have completely different views. Objectivity is lost. But this is 95% of the board. Eventually you find who's opinion actually means something credible.

Patience.
Facts are facts. Opinions are like a holes everybody has one. Since when did you become Mr. Objectivity Shuntclair?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT