ADVERTISEMENT

First Four Shenandoah District Teams in Action Thursday Night

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Finally it was confirmed that all four of this week's first-round playoff games involving Shenandoah District teams will in fact be moved ahead to tonight (Thursday) instead of Friday. On paper it looks like we have one case where our team should be expected to advance, one game that most people say will be a toss-up, and two where it would certainly appear that our local boys will start preparing for basketball season after tonight. But as we all know, these are playoffs so things might not be that clear-cut after all. Here is the line-up...........

REGION 1-B: Number 6 seed William Campbell at Number 3 seed Buffalo Gap: Based on seeding and home field advantage, one would logically assume the Bison will win this one and advance to next week's regional final and travel to unbeaten Lunenburg. There was a time when WC would have been expected to roll over the Gap but those days are gone. Of course very few people will remember the night the Bison stunned WC on a late two-point conversion to knock them out of the playoff field, so I doubt if there will be any left over motivation over that one. So this one should come down to a basic talent differential.

REGION 2-B: Number 5 seed Stuarts Draft at Number 4 Seed Clarke County: Because of seeding, this one looks like it should be the tighter match of these four. In this case, however, there might indeed be a revenge factor after the Cougars took down Clarke last year. So if anyone here in the Valley wants to pick an NFHS game to stick with instead of surfing, this might be the one.

REGION 3-C: Number 6 seed Wilson at Number 3 seed Brookville: The Bees don't get much publicity up here but it seems like they have been a top-notch program ever since the days of Logan Thomas and maybe even before that. I am sure Wilson will put up a fight and probably score a few times but I will be shocked if they can pull off a win in this one.

REGION 3-C: Number 7 seed Staunton at Number 2 seed Heritage: We all know who coaches at Heritage and the intensity that he brings to the game, so if there is an absolute guaranteed runaway game in which no mercy will be shown, this might be the one. Hate to wish that on The Storm because they did have a great season under first year Coach Bell, but unless there is a major surprise, Staunton will be out of its league in this one.

So to summarize, my expectation is that Buffalo Gap and Riverheads (bye this week) will comprise half of next week's Region B final four and Stuarts Draft may still be alive in 2-B.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT