ADVERTISEMENT

First Round of Playoffs gives us nothing.

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
Not one team seeded in the bottom half of their bracket in the playoffs (had an away game in first round) is still playing. Geesh. I should point out that is for all six classes, not just 4A.

Makes the point that it is as expected a useless game and time to eliminate. 14 games enough to make the final.

Not one team seeded in the bottom half of their bracket in the playoffs (had an away game in first round) is still playing. Geesh. I should point out that is for all six classes, not just 4A.

Not true. Luray as a 9 seed beat 8 seed Northumberland in 1A, Grassfield in 6A as 7 seed beat 2 seed Frank Cox, 10 seed North Stafford in 5A beat 7 seed Patrick Henry, 5 seed Grafton beat 4 seed Smithfield in 4A, 5 seed Monacan beat 4 seed Louisa in 4A, 10 seed Heritage beat 7 seed George Washington in 4A, 7 seed Tabb beat 2 seed Park View in 3A, 5 seed Petersburg beat 4 seed William Monroe in 3A, 14 seed Northside beat 3 seed Abingdon in 3A, 10 seed Blacksburg beat 7 seed Lord Botetourt in 3A, 11 seed Charles City beat 6 seed Franklin in 1A all in the 1st Round.

As for scores I have seen tonight, at least 10 seed Blacksburg beat 2 seed Brookville tonight

Not true. Luray as a 9 seed beat 8 seed Northumberland in 1A, Grassfield in 6A as 7 seed beat 2 seed Frank Cox, 10 seed North Stafford in 5A beat 7 seed Patrick Henry, 5 seed Grafton beat 4 seed Smithfield in 4A, 5 seed Monacan beat 4 seed Louisa in 4A, 10 seed Heritage beat 7 seed George Washington in 4A, 7 seed Tabb beat 2 seed Park View in 3A, 5 seed Petersburg beat 4 seed William Monroe in 3A, 14 seed Northside beat 3 seed Abingdon in 3A, 10 seed Blacksburg beat 7 seed Lord Botetourt in 3A, 11 seed Charles City beat 6 seed Franklin in 1A all in the 1st Round.

I knew a few lower seeds (but no 12's or higher) won in the first round. I was pointing out they hadn't advanced to the second round. I hadn't seen the Blacksburg score when I posted this. Bottom line is we played 40 games and only one of the lower seeds is still playing.

As for scores I have seen tonight, at least 10 seed Blacksburg beat 2 seed Brookville tonight

Isn't football season short enough eliminate 1st rd an that 1 less week of football
If you want, just don't pretend that the teams seeded 9 or higher have a snowball's chance in hell of winning a state title. It's just a week where contenders can pad their stats against 4-6 also rans.

Your statement that no lower seed is still playing is inaccurate. I'm assuming that you trying to illustrate that 16 teams is to large a pool. Which I would debate. 3A Blacksburg is a perfect illustration. Finished the season a #10 seed (5-5) and have gotten hot at the right time and pulled back to back impressive upsets. Much like college basketball the top teams will be standing at the end but the dance always has a Cinderella story. There are some blowout scores along the way. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm a fan of the more the merrier. Let these kids play as much as they can because for most the football career ends in high school

Reactions: WEfootball

It's right in the quote that you quoted. you said no 12 or higher seed won in the first round. 14 seed Northside won in 1st round

If you want, just don't pretend that the teams seeded 9 or higher have a snowball's chance in hell of winning a state title. It's just a week where contenders can pad their stats against 4-6 also rans.
I understand where u coming from but the season goes by so fast. coulda been better if they'd went with a 5 or 4 A system.

I understand where u coming from but the season goes by so fast. coulda been better if they'd went with a 5 or 4 A system.

You hit the nail on the head. With a 4 or 5 class system you can still take 16 teams per region (8 next year with 4 regions) and teams will probably not get in unless they are 7-3 or better. I understand why VHSL went with 6 classifications, as they already HAD 6, plus the concerns about the disparity in enrollment figures if the reduced the number of classes. But they do need to reduce to 4 or 5 classes to make this a better product.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT