ADVERTISEMENT

Floyd vs Ridgeview girls...

RVDChamps90

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 26, 2002
so glad of the format that allows the top 4 of each half of state go to state qtrs.
Floyd: 3 Ls to VHSL teams: 4A quarterfinalists Carroll Co & Wm. Fleming (who they also beat once); and 3A quarterfinalist Hidden Valley
They lost 2 games to GA teams in a Myrtle Beach, SC holiday tournament...one was a 5A GA school.

Ridgeview: loses 2 to Central-Wise but knocks off the state champs when it counted

This will be a war. Likely part 1 with a sequel in Richmond.

Final - Ridgeview 64 Floyd County 53
I was just saying earlier today that I thought this game would be very entertaining as Floyd was the favorite in the tournament to me, but Ridgeview knocked off Central and was playing good hoops. Would have liked to have seen this one.

Ridgeview lost to Central one time (2nd game by 1), 2nd loss was to Gate City.

Actually they lost twice to Central and beat them once...both times they lost was by 1 point. GC never did beat them.

Congrats to Ridgeview though....very impressive win.

Ridgeview lost to Central one time (2nd game by 1), 2nd loss was to Gate City.

No, we lost to Wise Central twice. That's our only two losses. Once in Uva-Wise Christmas tournament, and once in the conference season. We also beat them twice, once in the conference season and once in the conference tournament. We swept Gate City both games.

Side note, Saturday will mark the FIFTH time we have played Union this season. We have won the first four. (UVa-Wise Christmas tournament, two conference regular season games, finals of conference tournament)

To those in the NRV and Roanoake area who thought Floyd was going to wipe the floor with us.... do we have your attention now? :)

Also, hearing rumblings that Floyd and Chatham will play their third place game elsewhere. Can't say I blame them for that. Is it possible Martinsville and Dan River will play elsewhere too on Saturday if they wind up playing?

I knew Ridgeview would be tough. They won the 1A title in Clintwood's final year plus you add in the players from Haysi. That's a tough basketball squad. One question, did they hire the former Clintwood coach?

I still remember the players chanting for that after last year's state championship game. What a moment that was! Several DR basketball players were talking about how impressed they were with the Clintwood team.

Yeah, I get it and I understand that there is a huge difference in competition between the 1A and 2A level. But I have known since the beginning of the season that if we could just get through the grind of the conference season, we would be contenders. The Clinch Mountain has four excellent girls teams.

Ridgeview -- Split with Wise Central, Swept Gate City and Union
Gate City -- Swept by Ridgeview, Swept Wise Central, Split with Union
Union -- Swept by Ridgeview, Swept Wise Central, Split with Gate City
Wise Central -- Split with Ridgeview, Swept by Gate City and Union

I'm just surprised that it seems as if nobody outside of Conferences 39 & 40 seemed to think we could compete with Floyd.

Yeah, I get it and I understand that there is a huge difference in competition between the 1A and 2A level. But I have known since the beginning of the season that if we could just get through the grind of the conference season, we would be contenders. The Clinch Mountain has four excellent girls teams.

Ridgeview -- Split with Wise Central, Swept Gate City and Union
Gate City -- Swept by Ridgeview, Swept Wise Central, Split with Union
Union -- Swept by Ridgeview, Swept Wise Central, Split with Gate City
Wise Central -- Split with Ridgeview, Swept by Gate City and Union

I'm just surprised that it seems as if nobody outside of Conferences 39 & 40 seemed to think we could compete with Floyd.
I scour Twitter and the message boards and I just haven't seen much coverage for Ridgeview. I'm sure we will see plenty going forward. Congrats on the success thus far.

Personally, I think the 2A girls coverage got kind of 'swallowed up' by the 2A boys on this board.

I liked it better when they had separate boards - one for 2A boys - one for 2A girls.

And half the time you don't know if it's a boys or girls topic unless you actually click on the thread title.

Add all of this to a real lack of postings concerning 2A girls = no awareness of teams throughout the state.

Reactions: VAHoops1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT