ADVERTISEMENT

Former Dinwiddie General earning accolades.

Congrats to Mr. Kearney! He must be quite the player; I'm sorry I never saw him play in high school.

Not to shift focus away from Kearney, but the article brought up a question: why the heck is CNU a member of the New Jersey Athletic Conference? Even if their membership is for football only. Same holds true for Southern Virginia University in Buena Vista. SVU is a brand-new official member of NCAA Div. III, but as good as CNU's program is overall, it seems like the ODAC missed out on the Captains. Both schools are in the Capital Athletic Conference for all other sports.

Congrats to Mr. Kearney! He must be quite the player; I'm sorry I never saw him play in high school.

Not to shift focus away from Kearney, but the article brought up a question: why the heck is CNU a member of the New Jersey Athletic Conference? Even if their membership is for football only. Same holds true for Southern Virginia University in Buena Vista. SVU is a brand-new official member of NCAA Div. III, but as good as CNU's program is overall, it seems like the ODAC missed out on the Captains. Both schools are in the Capital Athletic Conference for all other sports.
I liked it when the Big 10 actually had 12 football members (14 now) and the Big 12 had 10 football members (still do, just different members)

How about Big East member schools from IN, IL, WI, & NE?

WAC member schools from MO, IL?

ACC members Louisville and in basketball Notre Dame?

Conference Realignment speculation was so crazy a few years back and some of the results are just beyond imagination. It was musical chairs for every conference and schools were desperate to have a seat when the music stopped. It was pretty exciting though!

The ODAC members are all private colleges. CNU is state supported and based on the lower tuition rates and easier admission standards they would have a perceived unfair advantage regarding recruitment. CNU tuition is about $20,000.00. All ODAC schools are pushing $40,000.00. CNU used to be a member of the USA South (Ferrum and Averett), but the conference expanded all the way to Georgia and CNU could not justify the travel cost. Easier to go to Maryland for the other sports. I believe Mary Washington is also a member of their current non-football conference. Hope this helps.

Just looked up Kearney's stats. CNU is 3-0. He has rushed for 124 yards with 3 td's. Passing, he is 68-102 (67%) for 926 yards, 6 td's and 0 int. Not bad for Mr. Kearney. Strange fact: His nickname in high school was "Captain Kearney". He now attends CNU. School nickname is the Captains, so he is still "Captain Kearney". Its been a long day already.

One of his top receivers is Sherando grad Taylor Loudoun. He is a super athlete.
Loudon looks to be Mr. Kearney's favorite target. He has 25 receptions for 374 yards with 2 td's. Mr. Loudon also appears to be a fine punt returner as well.

Reactions: hamspear
The ODAC members are all private colleges. CNU is state supported and based on the lower tuition rates and easier admission standards they would have a perceived unfair advantage regarding recruitment. CNU tuition is about $20,000.00. All ODAC schools are pushing $40,000.00. CNU used to be a member of the USA South (Ferrum and Averett), but the conference expanded all the way to Georgia and CNU could not justify the travel cost. Easier to go to Maryland for the other sports. I believe Mary Washington is also a member of their current non-football conference. Hope this helps.

Yes, very helpful. I knew CNU used to be in the USA South. If I'd used the ol' noggin, I might have realized that all the ODAC schools are private. Must be that nagging old chess injury acting up again.

Is that pronounced "Ker-ney" or "Car-ney"?

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Yes, very helpful. I knew CNU used to be in the USA South. If I'd used the ol' noggin, I might have realized that all the ODAC schools are private. Must be that nagging old chess injury acting up again.

Is that pronounced "Ker-ney" or "Car-ney"?
Ker-ney. I asked a CNU coach about this when they were contemplating the move and he said they inquired with the ODAC, but were denied. Not sure if it was a formal request or not.

Incidentally, Kerney is known as KJ, instead of Ronald. I never learned where that nickname came from.

Incidentally, Kerney is known as KJ, instead of Ronald. I never learned where that nickname came from.
"KJ" = Kerney, Jr. ding dong! You have been officially impeached from the fan club. I realize you are intellectually challenged, but Jeez! People on this forum are going to think everyone in Dinwiddie is just plain dumb!

Reactions: hamspear
"KJ" = Kerney, Jr. ding dong! You have been officially impeached from the fan club. I realize you are intellectually challenged, but Jeez! People on this forum are going to think everyone in Dinwiddie is just plain dumb!

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt. He may also be struggling with lingering side effects of old chess injuries.

Lol. I have tried hard to be patient with him. He suffers from "old timers" and has spent too many a long night with his brother in law "first down". Unfortunately Spartan the poor man could not spell "chess" much less play it. Checkers (he still can't spell it) is right up his alley. Through reliable sources I have identified the problem. Based on DP's lack of detailed knowledge regarding the football program we have determined he is really not Dinwiddie's #1 fan. More like our #1 politician. I guess everyone needs a promotions department.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Lol. I have tried hard to be patient with him. He suffers from "old timers" and has spent too many a long night with his brother in law "first down". Unfortunately Spartan the poor man could not spell "chess" much less play it. Checkers (he still can't spell it) is right up his alley. Through reliable sources I have identified the problem. Based on DP's lack of detailed knowledge regarding the football program we have determined he is really not Dinwiddie's #1 fan. More like our #1 politician. I guess everyone needs a promotions department.

Believe it or not, I have never played checkers in my fifty-some years. I know it involves jumping and crowning, but that's about it. I did play some Chinese checkers long ago as a youth.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Spartan, you are a very respectable gentleman. Do not lower yourself to the level of Navy by engaging him.

I have tried to avoid outing him, but Navy is an alumnus of Central State Mental Hospital located on the outskirts of Petersburg. And I'm not making this up, just ask him.

(It could have been a result of his football playing days. But that couldn't be correct, unless he fell backwards off the bench and hit his head. Or tripped running with the clipboard!)

In all seriousness, Navy and I are best friends. He is the kind of guy that you know would do anything to help someone in need. He also would be the first to kick you in the butt for being stupid or lazy, at the same time giving you the shirt off of your back. I hope life gives him a chance to get back to coaching youth sports. He is the kind of person we need providing positive leadership and influence to our kids.

But, I'm still going to continue to get even with the scoundrel.

Reactions: mike salem
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT