ADVERTISEMENT

Freedom Woodbridge only playing 6 games this fall

Yeah boy, all that is really setting a great example for young people by the adults. Let’s all walk out on a school, take our coaching staff and all of the best players and don’t worry about the mess we left for the program at Freedom. To hell with those kids that we didn’t want at Hayfield anyway.

And hey, the adults at Freedom are not exactly innocent. They let Overton skirt the rules and build a super team. All was good when they were enjoying the prestige of winning championships.

The whole damn thing stinks.

Hey @BoKnowsSports will Varina be able to find a replacement?
Will be hard finding someone this time of year. The Varina coaching staff wanted Hayfield on their schedule instead of Freedom when the news broke that Overton had been hired there. It was honorable for Varina for not trying to break the contract with Freedom especially with Varina’s former principal being the current principal at Hayfield (it could’ve easily been done as both sides wanted to play). I wouldn’t be surprised if Varina finds an out of state opponent.

Reactions: mike salem
Will be hard finding someone this time of year.
Granville Central NC, near Mecklenburg, called off their season last week.
Might try Southern Durham for a 10/25 game if Atlee will move to 10/4.
Their opponents with common open dates aren't ranked nearly as high by Massey.
A30 Cedar Ridge & Nov. 1
S6 @ Bunn & S13
S13 @ Wake Christian & N1
S20 J.F. Webb & O11
O4 @ Vance County & O18
O11 Carrboro & O4
O18 @ Southern Durham & O25
O25 Louisburg & S13
N1 @ South Granville & S20

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Will be hard finding someone this time of year. The Varina coaching staff wanted Hayfield on their schedule instead of Freedom when the news broke that Overton had been hired there. It was honorable for Varina for not trying to break the contract with Freedom especially with Varina’s former principal being the current principal at Hayfield (it could’ve easily been done as both sides wanted to play). I wouldn’t be surprised if Varina finds an out of state opponent.
I think Riverdale Baptist in Maryland is still open on 10/4 which is Varina's current bye week. Would be a decent matchup. Hayfield is playing them a few weeks later.

Yeah boy, all that is really setting a great example for young people by the adults. Let’s all walk out on a school, take our coaching staff and all of the best players and don’t worry about the mess we left for the program at Freedom. To hell with those kids that we didn’t want at Hayfield anyway.

And hey, the adults at Freedom are not exactly innocent. They let Overton skirt the rules and build a super team. All was good when they were enjoying the prestige of winning championships.

The whole damn thing stinks.
I am glad you have gotten your bowels worked up. I have been telling you this for two years. Not sure how the VHSL and member schools can sleep at night knowing full well how Freedom and Hayfield are being operated. Oh I forgot they need someone to report it even though it's smacking them dead in the face. The travesty isn't just these two programs.

@DinwiddieProud - not surprised this was the finding. It is obvious, if you are not willing to build a super team you will not be able to win class 5 or 6 championships. Class 4 is next, if we are not already there, it won't be long.

With 62 players, I feel like they could play a full schedule.
Most of them are freshman and sophomores and predominantly freshman. Only 4 seniors. He’s a new coach and he’s not trying to get those kids hurt. I think it’s a good decision. They are not going to be competitive at all.

Most of them are freshman and sophomores and predominantly freshman. Only 4 seniors. He’s a new coach and he’s not trying to get those kids hurt. I think it’s a good decision. They are not going to be competitive at all.
then just play a JV schedule this year

I am glad you have gotten your bowels worked up. I have been telling you this for two years. Not sure how the VHSL and member schools can sleep at night knowing full well how Freedom and Hayfield are being operated. Oh I forgot they need someone to report it even though it's smacking them dead in the face. The travesty isn't just these two programs.
someone like the other principals in the region. VHSL is not Big Brother with the Big Hammer. They serve at the pleasure of the regions so your religious indignation is misplaced.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
someone like the other principals in the region. VHSL is not Big Brother with the Big Hammer. They serve at the pleasure of the regions so your religious indignation is misplaced.
So right EP. Blaming the VHSL for this, and problems like this is like hiring a bank guard and not give him permission to do anything but stand there. And then blame him when the bank gets robbed.

“Virginia HS Football Fan”, please do yourself a favor and research the charter of the VHSL. The membership, all 315 +- schools make the rules. No one else. The people in the League office are employed by those member schools. The membership, and most directly the Executive Committee of the VHSL, tell the people in the league office what they can and can’t do.

Dr. Haun and his staff are not blind or indifferent to what is going on. But until the League membership empowers them to investigate and punish offenses, they are powerless. Yes, if the violation is brought to the League office following the protocol that the MEMBERSHIP has mandated, then and only then, can the League proceed with determining the facts and enforcing whatever punishment that the MEMBERSHIP has established for the offense. (The problem is that member schools are hesitant, no RELUCTANT is a better term, to come forward and present evidence against other schools for a lot of reasons.)

If you want to criticize someone, then criticize the right someone. THE MEMBERSHIP, and the EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE by extension.

So right EP. Blaming the VHSL for this, and problems like this is like hiring a bank guard and not give him permission to do anything but stand there. And then blame him when the bank gets robbed.

“Virginia HS Football Fan”, please do yourself a favor and research the charter of the VHSL. The membership, all 315 +- schools make the rules. No one else. The people in the League office are employed by those member schools. The membership, and most directly the Executive Committee of the VHSL, tell the people in the league office what they can and can’t do.

Dr. Haun and his staff are not blind or indifferent to what is going on. But until the League membership empowers them to investigate and punish offenses, they are powerless. Yes, if the violation is brought to the League office following the protocol that the MEMBERSHIP has mandated, then and only then, can the League proceed with determining the facts and enforcing whatever punishment that the MEMBERSHIP has established for the offense. (The problem is that member schools are hesitant, no RELUCTANT is a better term, to come forward and present evidence against other schools for a lot of reasons.)

If you want to criticize someone, then criticize the right someone. THE MEMBERSHIP, and the EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE by extension.
The VHSL is Virginia's version of the NCAA. They operate as cover and validation for the member institutions and more specifically the largest and most powerful school districts in the state. When people look behind, or more accurately, beneath the curtain they will find the organization and protocols designed to consolidate power within the few chosen. The Freedom and Hayfield situations, complaints and "investigations" amount to little more than a whitewash of what everybody knows is happening and the reticence of the actual powers, individual school administrations and school boards, to rock the boat. It is not coincidental that Virginia's place in terms of the quality of scholastic sports has declined relative to other states in recent times. It is the situation discussed in this thread coupled with economic and demographic changes that has weakened Virginia substantially.

It is not coincidental that Virginia's place in terms of the quality of scholastic sports has declined relative to other states in recent times. It is the situation discussed in this thread coupled with economic and demographic changes that has weakened Virginia substantially.

What metrics are you using to come to this conclusion? I’m curious to hear your perspective.

What metrics are you using to come to this conclusion? I’m curious to hear your perspective.
Mostly football and basketball recruiting metrics and rankings. Virginia used to be a solid second tier state, with the state ranked in the 8-10 range and now they appear more in the mid-teen(13-15) range in state rankings. While I haven't run the numbers in a while I believe the decline is further backed with the number of prospects moving on to the NFL and NBA.

The shift likely has some attribution to kids leaving the state for profactory private schools as well as some economic shifts creating population shifts and people/families leaving the state. That is my perception from following high school sports in the Commonwealth for 60 years and with some very limited numerical work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT