ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Night, 8pm

Who takes 2a??

• Total voters
Pulling hard for Gate City because I have friends from there. They're a fellow M7 team and it makes the district look good when teams from the district bring back some hardware...

But, I think Lee takes it. Just have a feeling.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I go every year and it is nice when there are local teams to root for. So this year that will be Lee and Buffalo Gap. But as someone else said, I just want to see good games.

Reactions: AntGZee
It's funny....

Last year, everyone expected Gate City and Lee to meet in the finals....well they did meet, but it was in the QF instead, but they still play a classic

This year, Gate City was everyone's prohibitive favorite to make it back to Richmond - especially with the nucleus of McClung, Ervin and Dean returning - and they didn't disappoint, making it through a tough bracket.

Meanwhile, Lee returned Jarvis Vaughan, and the jury was still out on just how good the Leemen would be this season.
Despite losing All-State player Darius George, Lee had enough supporting cast to make out of the top half of the bracket.

So here we are.....

And here's a refresher for those of you who either missed it, forgot about it or just want to read about the game from last year....

28795802_1578887088899110_6516319689044062520_n.jpg

28685669_1578887428899076_3189394858953515473_n.jpg

28872257_1578887262232426_8287171930476794147_n.jpg

I feel like GC's defense has come on the past two games. They've really tuned that side of the ball around. The role players stepped up against Radford and the big 3 performed against Graham. They just got their revenge on the G-men and I'm sure they'd like to get revenge from last year too. If Mac can attack the rim and challenge Vaughan, maybe he can get him in foul trouble and get him off the floor. Based on some scores I've seen, Lee is a different team without him on the floor. I believe last year they done that pretty successfully and caused last big guy to foul out. If Zac gets 15-20 and Dean gets 10 and stays out of foul trouble I like GC's chances. I'll go with GC 73 Lee 65

I go every year and it is nice when there are local teams to root for. So this year that will be Lee and Buffalo Gap. But as someone else said, I just want to see good games.

I would absolutely love Buffalo Gap to beat the Lady Walmart Warriors, but they have no chance. I'm just doomed to put up with the Central faithful harrassing me on Twitter for yet another year. :(

Looking forward to a good game. Probably pick a pony in the 6p game and root like an alumnus. I got GC at 8, going with the Loaded Family.

One key thing at GC. There is no question, they have dramatically picked up the defensive intensity the last two games. This is evident by how fewer dunks and fast break points GC has got the last two games. Credit some of that to Radford and Grahams footspeed at getting back and slowing down a fast break, and no question, GC has still got some run outs, but much less than I've seen in the previous times I watched them in the season. This is because GC is playing and D and rebounding. At least, it's a huge factor in the equation.

Two things about the above..
1. So much of defense is habits. It's incredibly tough to play lazy or lackluster D and then simply turn it on and commit and buckle down defensively for a substantial period of time. Many teams will do it for a game or two or three at even the HS, College and Pro levels, but they often revert back to their old defensive habits. There are a few that do not revert back. Time will tell with GC.

2. GC has two legitimate Div 1 players. Div 1 players are special and have to have a special athletic ability and talent. Do you think this talent is just on the offensive side? It's not. Sure, McClung and Ervin have been offensive minded, but that Div 1 gift is also there on the defensive side of the ball compared to most other High School players. So, you can see what happens the last two games when two Div 1 players decide they want to commit to playing tough D. They CAN. Meaning......teams that don't play great D through a season who try to pick it up late in the year often revert back, BUT.....the learning curve isn't steep for GC because of that Div 1 talent. Time will tell if GC plays the defense tomorrow night like they have against Radford and Graham.

Only my opinions

Anybody know a radio station online that will carry the 2A Championship game? By the way, GO BLUE DEVILS! ;)

I'm sure that the radio station in Staunton will carry the game - there's a link in one of the other threads.

Also, the NHFS Network is showing all the finals online - it's $9.99 month - cancel after 1 month - totally worth it, considering how many games you get to see - plus other states as well, if you're interested in them.

One key thing at GC. There is no question, they have dramatically picked up the defensive intensity the last two games. This is evident by how fewer dunks and fast break points GC has got the last two games. Credit some of that to Radford and Grahams footspeed at getting back and slowing down a fast break, and no question, GC has still got some run outs, but much less than I've seen in the previous times I watched them in the season. This is because GC is playing and D and rebounding. At least, it's a huge factor in the equation.

Two things about the above..
1. So much of defense is habits. It's incredibly tough to play lazy or lackluster D and then simply turn it on and commit and buckle down defensively for a substantial period of time. Many teams will do it for a game or two or three at even the HS, College and Pro levels, but they often revert back to their old defensive habits. There are a few that do not revert back. Time will tell with GC.

2. GC has two legitimate Div 1 players. Div 1 players are special and have to have a special athletic ability and talent. Do you think this talent is just on the offensive side? It's not. Sure, McClung and Ervin have been offensive minded, but that Div 1 gift is also there on the defensive side of the ball compared to most other High School players. So, you can see what happens the last two games when two Div 1 players decide they want to commit to playing tough D. They CAN. Meaning......teams that don't play great D through a season who try to pick it up late in the year often revert back, BUT.....the learning curve isn't steep for GC because of that Div 1 talent. Time will tell if GC plays the defense tomorrow night like they have against Radford and Graham.

Only my opinions

It DOES make a difference having TWO Div 1 players on your team - Lee had that luxury last season - Darius George and Jarvis Vaughan - and it made a difference in the long run.

I truly believe that Lee will be a team that is not intimidated or bothered by McClung, Ervin, Dean and Gate City. I also believe that Lee has not seen a team this season on the level of Gate City. Lee thrives on their defense and converting turnovers into points. Vaughan is a major factor inside and out to mid range as well. The Leemen and Blue Devils are one of the more intriguing state finals I can remember in a long time. Both teams are explosive and capable of huge runs and that could decide a game like this.

My keys for what they're worth:

Lee:

1. Defense, Defense, Defense
2. Stay out of foul trouble
3. Crash the boards
4. Make McClung have to work for everything he gets
5. Make thier foul shots(this has got to happen for Lee to win)
6. Don't fall in a huge hole and have to comeback...won't work against Gate City

Gate City:

1. Rebound...they have been lackluster in this area at times.
2. McClung has to stay under control and do his thing...he will get his points.
3. Ervin AND Dean need to both be major factors...you won't be Lee with just two players.
4. Defense....which they have turned up lately.
5. Keep their big three out of foul trouble...depth is a factor for them
6. Foul Shooting...and they appear to be a good team from the stripe.

No matter what a very deserving team will earn a State title Friday night. I am of course ready to see the Leemen bring it back to Staunton again...as the tradition rolls on. If Gate City does win it won't be a great feeling but...not as horrible as it could be. I would feel good for the community, kids, and team they are. No shame in losing to a caliber team like they are.

Lastly lets mainly hope for a good game that sees both teams leave it all on that court and then in a way...we all win. Will it be a run and gun high scoring affair? Defensive? Who knows but as a Lee fan I will say the Leemen by 1. 70-69.

^^^^^This^^^^^
The only thing I disagree with is the score. I hope it's GC by at least 1. All your keys for both teams are spot on.

Reactions: Lvehoops
I see your Leemen have 5 guys 6’4 or taller. Do they all play?

They almost always play ten deep every game - and that depth has helped them out this season in some situations.

The only player which Lee CAN'T afford to get into foul trouble or not get valuable minutes is Vaughan - he really is the glue to Lee this year.

If he plays well, Lee can win the game.

I have a ton of respect for McClung and this Gate City team, and I’d love to see a SWVA team take home the trophy, he could’ve easily rubbed it in Graham’s face by dunking it at the end of the game but instead held the ball until time expired, classy guy (and team)... he’s become an icon for the kids, and always takes time for them after the game. I’ll be rooting from home

Give me GC by 9.

To me GC is about 2-3 possessions better than Lee, tack on a few FTs and the end of the game and we end up around 9.

With all the hype this is getting I hope it's a good one!

Reactions: Buc101
On my way now. Gotta be there early to root on the Eastside Spartans. Really enjoy watching those boys get after it. I think they win a close one and bring home the title.

As for GC and Lee, if the Leemen get into a run and gun battle with GC I think GC will pull away. I just dont see Lee trying that though. Also, if GC gets a decent lead, trying to full court press them is what they thrive on. Ive not seen them struggle with a full court press all year....Graham tried it in the last matchup and it just didn't work at all for them. I expect this game will come down to the last minute and be another barn burner. Vaughn will give GC problems no doubt. Its gonna be an interesting match up and one ive wanted to see all year.

Im interested to see what the crowd turnout is for this game.... i feel it should be electric! Everyone thats going to the games, safe travels people. See yall there!

Go GC!

Well my heart says Lee...but my gut says Gate City.

To me, this might be their last shot to win it - despite Ervin and Dean returning next season, Mac is the key to this team (as we already know)

I will be mildly surprised if Lee pulls it out........it was their turn last year.

This year, it's Gate City's.

Next year - probably Radford's turn.

Reactions: one man
Well my heart says Lee...but my gut says Gate City.

To me, this might be their last shot to win it - despite Ervin and Dean returning next season, Mac is the key to this team (as we already know)

I will be mildly surprised if Lee pulls it out........it was their turn last year.

This year, it's Gate City's.

Next year - probably Radford's turn.

See I'm the opposite lol. Head says Lee, heart stays in SWVA. GC has played incredibly well last two games but I'm worried may have blew their wad while Lee is really long and athletic and can keep Mac off the rim. If GCs shots don't fall early, could get too far behind.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Yea this girls game is very sloppy right now. Not the same caliber teams as the Floyd County girls i remember seeing up here for several years straight. Sure hope the GC and Lee game isnt this rough lol

Already got my money's worth with the Lancaster and Eastside game.....was a heck of a matchup.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT