4-3
4-3 under
4-3 over
6-1
6-2
5-3
5-2
3-4

Basically every defense known to man at the end of the day the kids have to line down know who to block the qb has to make the proper read and the chips will fall where they may.

One big difference in Salem and Bird. Salem does not get penalties like Bird does. Refs have told me they play some of the cleanest football you'll ever see.

I really haven't seen or heard anyone say anything negative about Lake Taylor. Most people were stunned the game was that close. If they had a low opinion of Lake Taylor they wouldn't have been stunned.

Ok.. I'm just making it up..No one has made one negative post about LT.

When I was in high school (1970's) we got a letter before a playoff game with Southampton. The letter was a drawing of a hand flipping the bird, and said Southampton 50, Matoaca 0. My father was a coach. He told me years later, the Matoaca j.v. coaches sent it; mailed it from down there when they went scouting.

Anything you can do to get the kids motivated, and the "nobody believes you're any good," angle is as good as any other.

My Jr. year we played Thomas Dale at Dale in the "Dark Zone" the year after Rudi Johnson graduated....We had some dead roses sent to our school that said "Lights Out When You Enter The Dark Zone" We won at Dale for the first time in forever, but I swear Coach Parker sent them.

Re: Only one weakness

Funny, but you know what, there's a little bit to that. Last year Bird rarely tried extra points in the second half (if they had a big lead they just took a knee so as not to be running it up), and missed their first two extra point kicks against Briar Woods in the state final. Had that game gone just slightly differently they could have lost because of those kicks. I actually think a team that is winning big should never go for it on fourth down or whatever, just to make sure kids get kicks in. The less you do it in the game, the more you'd better do it in practice, because you might not have to punt in the first 14 games, but sometimes that team in game #15 is a little different than the other 14.

Re: I'm with you a bit Navy

Linemen have to be very smart and they have to figure it out in a hurry when they come to the line. I hate the "dumb lineman" stereotype.

Yeah, I've heard whispers and anecdotes about coaches doing stuff like this all my life. I never did, but I wouldn't have been above it, if I had thought of something smart enough

I recall Gretna having a big lead once just before halftime. Gretna sent FG kicker out for a 50 yard FG. Other team accused us of running up score.

I don't think kicking is running up score, kickers need the work.

Originally posted by DEVILSLB99:
Ok.. I'm just making it up..No one has made one negative post about LT.
You have absolutely no capability of having a discussion without pulling out a strawman. You just can't do it.

Understand that a handful of people saying LT sucks or LT should have lost or blah blah doesn't make that the popular opinion of the board or the consensus of the general public. You're just conditioned to go on the offensive the second anyone thinks less of LT than you think they should and you have these weird delusions of grandeur that the whole of the board and the state is bearing down upon you and your players. Right now you're calling yourself the villain of the boards because your mind has flipped reality on you and that's what you think is happening. Nobody else calls you that, nobody here is throwing your name out in threads as the bad guy. Just be a normal person cheering for their program like the rest of us, nobody has these grand designs to tarnish LT's rep and slander your name.

LT is the overwhelming favorite. Salem is the clear underdog. End of discussion.

This post was edited on 12/8 10:23 PM by 1MoreHokie

talked to fans and students... they are scared and not coming to game

LAKE TAYLOR BETTER BUCKLE THOSE CHIN STRAPS.... THE EIGHT IN THE BOX WILL KILL THEM. SALEM IS A MACHINE, PASS, RUN, SPEVIAL TEAMS, D-I KICKER........ DON'T BET AGAINST SALEM........ SALEM 31- 14

I quit worrying a long time ago about who is running up what. You coach your team, I'll coach mine, so to speak. You don't know what's going on over on the other sideline.

You kick a field goal, you're running it up. You go for it you're running it up. You take a knee on an extra point, you're humiliating the other team.

I don't know how I would be since I don't intend to ever coach again, but if I'm ever lucky enough to find myself winning in a blowout in any sport, I'm just going to do what is best for my team, and if anyone wants to accuse me of running it up, I'll take the heat. I'm an old man. Who cares?

Re: If you go to the 5A/6A championships....

Originally posted by GilliamRatings:
...you might not see 20 passes on the day.
I think you might be surprised.

Re: talked to fans and students... they are scared and not coming to game

Originally posted by 3puttcharlie:
LAKE TAYLOR BETTER BUCKLE THOSE CHIN STRAPS.... THE EIGHT IN THE BOX WILL KILL THEM. SALEM IS A MACHINE, PASS, RUN, SPEVIAL TEAMS, D-I KICKER........ DON'T BET AGAINST SALEM........ SALEM 31- 14
Stop it.

Originally posted by BleedingNavy:
Did you play at Phoebus? If you did a few years ago then you were able to play them hat on hat with studs you guys had. Whole different game sir. I'm not saying I am right. Oneman had some great points. I started thinking about how to better defend them after their first play against us this season. It went for a TD.
I didn't play at Phoebus. I will say this: If you don't take their scheme, their coaches, and their players seriously you're in for a REALLY long day.

I'll second that............

31 - 28 Salem wins!

Gilliam, I'm all for a team doing what the coach of a winning team feels is respectful to the losing team. Two things always come to mind. First, "what goes around, comes around". Anybody that has been around sports, especially high school sports, knows how quickly this can come true.

And secondly, a twist on one of my favorite sayings, which is, "if you like things the way they are, they will never change". Applied to sports, "if you don't like getting your butt kicked, then do something about it"!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT