ADVERTISEMENT

Galax vs Riverheads

Yeah right like he wasn’t in his longtime assistant’s ear and vice-versa.

Classless on Casto’s part. Completely destroys the argument that people made on here that Wheeler resigned due to personal/family health reasons. I respect the football product, but don’t respect the way he meddled after resigning and how he orchestrated the ouster of his replacement.
Wheeler resigned because all of the assistants resigned because he wanted to change everything and they werent on board with it. Nothing to do with Casto.

Don’t buy it. Why’d Casto come back? It’s plain to see what happened. What i didn’t expect to happen was Casto badmouth Wheeler publicly. Wow.

Reactions: sixcat
As I start my usual recap of what was a helluva game, I see that the dialogue has shifted over into a discussion about Casto's return and what he did or didn't say about it. I will choose to stay out of that discussion because I don't have any inside connections or information on what happened behind the scenes. But I do agree that we quite likely do not win today without him, and you could make that argument for all 7 of our state titles. So on to the game........

First of all the weather cooperated as much as could be expected. Miserable commute at times but it did not rain during the game itself and although it was windy, the way to look at that is to say that each team got two quarters to use it as they saw fit.

Earlier in the week, Coach Dixon was quoted as saying that RHS' Zac Smiley was a "freak" of an athlete. He of course meant that as a compliment. But the junior (yep we get him for one more year!) proved it on the field with two incredible plays, one on offense and one on defense. So don't believe those newspaper stories tomorrow when they try to tell you that Cole Burton scored the "winning" touchdown with 4:02 left in the game. Was his 60-yard run important??? Of course it was but if you had to pick one guy in red as the star today, it was most definitely Smiley.

Smiley actually started the game off with a bang as he broke loose on the first play from scrimmage and rambled for about 45-50 yards. It momentarily looked like he could go all the way. But the early advantage went to Galax as they stopped the Big Red on that drive to prevent RHS from scoring on its first possession, which I believe would have been for the 14th time in 15 games if they had managed to do it.

That early Galax stop led to a couple more exchanges in possession without results, until the final minute of the quarter when the Tide got Brown going. Set up by a short punt, the visitors (as defined by that side of the field) moved into scoring position and the senior did something no one else had been able to accomplish all season.......he put Riverheads behind on the scoreboard with about a 25 yard gallop straight up the middle.

Shortly after that, Smiley made the first of his two highlight-reel plays and it was a doozy. He took a pitchout and started to his left. Galax absolutely SWARMED him under and it appeared that any one of about three guys was about to nail him for a five yard loss, one that would have definitely been a huge boost for Galax.

But someway somehow he wiggled out of it and broke up field. He tight-roped the sidelines and just about the time he crossed midfield, he hesitated briefly and then cut back across the grain, which gained some extra yardage. I would estimate the run was about 65 yards and it put Big Mo squarely on the side of the red team for the rest of the first half. Smiley had made a similar play in the Stuarts Draft regular season game that he actually scored on, but this one today showed 10 times the determination, athleticism, and just pure hustle, even if he didn't make it all the way.

Two or three plays into the second quarter, he did put the Big Red on the scoreboard from about 13 yards out and Peyton Skillman tied the score at 7 with 10:44 left in the half. Midway through the quarter the Gladiators got the ball back and started a steady drive that took the clock down close to the two minute mark. When the offense was stymied at the two yard line, RHS opted for a field goal, deciding that going into the locker room with a three point lead instead of tied would be a better psychological move.

Skillman drilled the glorified extra point to make it 10-7 but any fan who headed for an early bathroom or concession break missed two minutes of wild action that featured three interceptions and another RHS touchdown. First of all, the Gladiators picked off Pickett around their own 40. (Sorry I cannot remember who snagged that one.) But Riverheads immediately returned the favor on the very next play as an Elijah Dunlap pass was picked off around the Galax 40. That set up SMILEY HIGHLIGHT REEL NUMBER TWO.

Galax set up a screen pass that I believe was intended for Brown. Screen passes being what they are, as a general rule they are caught by the intended receiver and usually for a decent gain. But in this case, Smiley read the play beautifully, timed his move perfectly, and simply stepped over the receiver's shoulder, grabbed the pass and was off to the races for a 45 yard score that put RHS ahead 17-7 at the break.

In many Riverheads games this year, they have made great halftime adjustments, come out strong in the third quarter, and erased any doubt about the outcome. So talk on the home stands was likely focused on how much we would win by. But the Maroon Tide did not get that particular memo because they controlled the better part of the second half and if not for a few pretty bad breaks, they could have easily won the game.

On their first possession of the third quarter, Brown ran like a man possessed, hurdling defenders and scoring before most of the crowd had settled back into their seats. That made the score 17-14 and got the Galax crowd all fired up again.

But it took Riverheads only two plays to regain its two score lead. After returning the kickoff only out to the 20, Braeson Fulton (a senior who had sat out football for three seasons before coming back for his final year and making the absolute most of it) started things off with about a 35 yard run off left tackle. On the very next play, Smiley was off again, sweeping right this time and rambling 45 yards untouched to make it 24-14.

Still in the third, Galax roared down the field again behind a gorgeous 40 yard pass play, and although Riverheads stiffened momentarily, the Tide scored again on a short pass that was scooped up right at the goal line. That made the score 24-21 and set up what would turn out to be a wacky fourth quarter.

After stopping Riverheads, Galax got the ball back and started on a very long march that at times looked like it was going to put them back into the lead and possibly hoist the trophy. They made it all the way down to a first and goal from the one yard line as the clock ticked down under six minutes.

I had moved over to the Galax side of the stadium for the second half because I liked to compare crowd noises and I can assure you that just about every Galax fan over there will go to their grave convinced that Pickett scored on that first down play. But the guys on the field who decide these things said otherwise. On second down, the Big Red defense actually pushed them back half a yard.

Then on third and goal came what I would personally term as THE most important play of a game that had plenty of them. Pickett went into shotgun formation, probably not a bad move so as to get some momentum moving forward. But the snap sailed over his right shoulder and he was tackled back around the 15, bringing the biggest roar of the day from the Riverheads fans. The Tide had no choice but to kick a tying field goal which glanced off the left upright and sneaked its way through.

Little did they know that they had just given RHS the worst thing they could have possibly given them....... a football field, three timeouts, about five minutes left on the clock, and a strong determination to fourpeat and take yet another trophy back to Greenville.

RHS returned the kickoff out close to the 30 and Galax momentarily stopped them, but on third and long, the Gladiators completed what I believe was their only successful pass of the day, a first down out to about the 40, hauled in by sophomore Cole Burton. If that name sounds new to you, it is because he had not factored into the game very much thus far.

But that is a Casto trademark.........hit 'em with the unexpected if you think they will be keying elsewhere..........so after gaining that first down at the 40, Burton burst up the middle and took it to the house for that aforementioned touchdown that some folks will label as the "game winner." It appeared as if Galax might catch up to him and they did have an ankle tackle chance inside the 10 but he evaded it and scored to put the Big Red back on top.

But everyone in the stadium knew that Galax certainly had the weapons to come back for the equalizer. They did make it into Riverheads territory, down to around the 40 but a critical holding call moved them back across to their own side of the field, facing a third and 23 with less than two minutes remaining.

Then came a defensive gem that one Gladiator was destined to make and will tell his grandchildren about one of these days. His name is Jameson Shover and for his entire Riverheads career, the senior has been one of the more exuberant mainstays of the Big Red defense. So on that 3rd and long, he swooped in and sacked Pickett for about an 8 yard loss and made a celebratory leap afterwards that could land him on Dancing With The Stars if he wants to audition. Galax's last-ditch play, a pass down to about the RHS 30, was tipped just enough to keep the receiver from making a circus catch, and the Gladiators took a couple of knees to end it.

So definitely a classic between two great teams. In fact in a day or two I might post a brand new thread asking just HOW great these two were, but let's let the dust settle on this one first. Congratulations to the Gladiators for their fourpeat and for their first-ever 15-0 season. Reminds me of how excited everybody got that year the Dolphins went 17-0!

As some folks are already predicting, you can almost take it to the bank that one, if not both of these teams, will be right back in Salem again next year. But as for me, I am ready for some basketball and Big Red fans, there will be no rest for the weary as we will host Bath County this coming Thursday. Come on out and check out Coach Coffey's team, which should have its own chance at a state title this year if a few things "bounce" the right way!

Last edited:
Mr master blaster, how you hide all that bull crap behind those maroon glasses? After galax beat y’all like a drum did you really believe they didn’t belong? You also said PH didn’t belong in the semi game. In reality they put up 16 on galax in a little over 2 quarters. Took g dud 7 quarters to accomplish that.
I know they spanked us but I also said before the season started they would. And I knew if by some chance we made it to Salem that RH would've been napping on the bus by halftime. And I honestly didn't think Galax was in the same class as RH this year. I saw way to many weaknesses on their D but I also should've took into account that Galax and RH match up so well cause they do the same things so well. Great line play, discipline football, next man up ect ect but I honestly thought RH was better at all of those except line play. So to me i saw RH running away with this one and to be fair thats what I saw against anyone they could've played this year. And yes PH was a good team this year and yes they played Galax better this year than we did. But I can't buy into them being a legitimate contender until I'm proven wrong. I don't think anyone can argue that they would've been in the game today had they beat Galax. RH could have picked their score against PH I just believe that to be true. Its not me trying discredit PH this season they did an absolutely amazing job this year and should be proud of what they did. But I really don't see them as a legitimate contender but Galax was and I was wrong so I could be wrong about PH.

This game came down to who made fewer mistakes which was Riverheads. I certainly didn't agree some of the calls the refs made but heck I never do...ha. I'll have to go back and watch the film to see if the calls were correct or not. Regardless Riverheads done what they had to do get the win so congratulations to them on their 4th in a row(incredible accomplishment). I do believe if Galax wraps up and holds on in a couple of plays in the first half and we dont make couple of crucial mistakes we get the win but credit Riverheads players for not giving up on those plays and making us pay for those mistakes. And to everyone that said Galax didn't belong and would get blown out...well I'll just leave that alone...lol

Reactions: Bama1985
Then on third and goal came what I would personally term as THE most important play of a game that had plenty of them. Pickett went into shotgun formation, probably not a bad move so as to get some momentum moving forward. But the snap sailed over his right shoulder and he was tackled back around the 15......this play was one of biggest of the game but should've never happened because Dixon called timeout before the snap and it certainly appeared that Pickett had already got the ball into the endzone before that.

After some rest and reflection on this game I have a few thoughts. First off I have never seen so many cutbacks but they appeared to be designed as Casto didn’t lose his mind when it happened over and over-credit Galax for getting the edge sealed. Second point is that there were a lot of jerseys stretched out and a bunch of blocks in the back that were not called. The stripes stayed out of the way for the most part-understandably the Maroon Tide feel they got hosed in a few called but I can point out a few as well so to me it’s actually a wash. Third, I am not sure why Galax didn’t commit to the run earlier. If they had played the first half the way they played the second, I am not so sure we would have been within 10 points. Lastly, the goal one stand was just that and the only one that was even close was the very first first down. The others he was laying sideways on the ground and actually got a really good spot on the second down attempt. Not sure why they didn’t use their sledgehammer there because by then he was picking up chunk yards. And while that would have given Galax the lead, the Gladiators did break the long run TD that sealed it after all that drama.

All that said, I can safely say that was the best team that Riverheads has faced in a number of years and that includes the ER and SD teams that defeated them in recent seasons. I was impressed with the overall strength and agility of that huge line on Defense. The offense was quite interesting but basically came down to handing it to Brown in between the tackles and running down hill. I will throw a caveat in and say that I am not so sure that we may have had a different looking game had the wind not made passing questionable at times. Not saying one team would have had an advantage but I don’t think either passed as much as they may have wanted on a perfect day.

Congrats to Coach Dixon and the Maroon Tide (and their fans)on a great season. I won’t unequivocally say these two teams are back again but I am not so sure I would take the field against it either.

Reactions: Bama1985
what a great game, 2 top notched single a programs in the state, a play here and a play there and the outcome could have been different, both teams had great years and will be back next year, rhs loses 12 srs, not sure about galax, but rhs has lots and lots of young talent, so a 5 peat could be won next year, so congrats on the 4 peat, and tying a state record with that, tying a augusta county 26 game winning streak, and smiley getting the single season rushing record and td record, and will need 11 next year to break the school all time td record, and 15 and 0 which is a school record, what a great season, I heard Dixon talking after the game and said nobody gave them a chance and would get blown out, he must have been reading these posts here on va preps, I knew it would be a good game with 2 great teams, and 2 great coaching staffs, so maybe a rematch next year, GO BIG RED 7 time champs in 19 years woooooooooooooo

If Galax ran the ball the whole game they win. No 1A team is stopping #1. He was a beast!!! I apologize for the “JACKASS” in our stands that was hollaring at #9,#5,and #1 telling them they werent any good. Totally classless!! Thats not who we are as fans!!! If anybody on here from Galax happens to see any of those players please give them my sincerest apologies. By the way all 3 were great players among a lot of others from Galax. I stayed for the 2nd game and I can tell you for a certainty that either Galax or Riverheads could of beaten Appo. Not saying they would but that they could. Lastly , 1st and goal from the 1? Browns getting it 4 times.

Best championship game I've seen in person since these two teams met in 2015 and just a great high school game overall. While both teams gave up some plays to the other, great effort by both sides. I do agree that #1 for Galax was a beast to bring down and would have given him the ball every time down on the 6 inch line. Had Galax scored TD there, still plenty of time for RH to score like they did. Probably a 31 -28 game instead of 31-24. Wouldn't be shocked to see a rematch next year. Congrats to both teams.

If Galax ran the ball the whole game they win. No 1A team is stopping #1. He was a beast!!! I apologize for the “JACKASS” in our stands that was hollaring at #9,#5,and #1 telling them they werent any good. Totally classless!! Thats not who we are as fans!!! If anybody on here from Galax happens to see any of those players please give them my sincerest apologies. By the way all 3 were great players among a lot of others from Galax. I stayed for the 2nd game and I can tell you for a certainty that either Galax or Riverheads could of beaten Appo. Not saying they would but that they could. Lastly , 1st and goal from the 1? Browns getting it 4 times.
he prob would have needed only 2 touches, no way would have stopped him 4 times, and I think if they scored at the end Dixon would have went for 2, #5, #8, and #1 were really good, and both teams would have given appo a good game, that qb for appo is a game changer and only a sophmore

As a former player, coach and now a fan I don't know if it's not easier to lose like we did in 2016 rather than like yesterday. In 16 you knew that RH was just a better team and for me it is easier to lose knowing that the other team was just better and it is what it is. But when you lose like that yesterday knowing that you was the same caliber team and RH played a mistake free game and a couple of plays was the difference it just hurts as a player.

Those type games when both play like they did, classy, clean and lights out, it is a shame that anyone has to lose.

RH is certainly a machine as they are called. Mad respect.

Was there missed calls? YES. 3 huge ones that affected the game. Pickett crossed the line on the first try, RH stopped him on second, he dropped he snap on the third and mishandled the fourth. You can see it on the NHFS film.

The blocked punt call that ended up being roughing the kicker was horrendous, the ball was clearly redirected by the players hand. Galax would have had the ball at midfield.

The punt that hit a RH player and then a Galax player and Galax recovered but was rewarded to RH was hug as well.

Those are huge plays but, if Galax would of not made other critical mistakes those plays would have been overcome.

Again not taking away from RH I just hate seeing those type of issues in a game of that importance. I am NOT saying even if those plays went the other way that Riverheads would not still come out on top. I do agree that without Casto different outcome without a doubt. The cutback runs as Redpride said was huge for RH. WE ARE LUCKY as fans of both programs that our kids get to play for coaching staffs like RH and Galax. RH posters have been very classy all year and thank you for the conversations and congratulations on a 4 peat. That's a huge feat.

As a former player, coach and now a fan I don't know if it's not easier to lose like we did in 2016 rather than like yesterday. In 16 you knew that RH was just a better team and for me it is easier to lose knowing that the other team was just better and it is what it is. But when you lose like that yesterday knowing that you was the same caliber team and RH played a mistake free game and a couple of plays was the difference it just hurts as a player.

Those type games when both play like they did, classy, clean and lights out, it is a shame that anyone has to lose.

RH is certainly a machine as they are called. Mad respect.

Was there missed calls? YES. 3 huge ones that affected the game. Pickett crossed the line on the first try, RH stopped him on second, he dropped he snap on the third and mishandled the fourth. You can see it on the NHFS film.

The blocked punt call that ended up being roughing the kicker was horrendous, the ball was clearly redirected by the players hand. Galax would have had the ball at midfield.

The punt that hit a RH player and then a Galax player and Galax recovered but was rewarded to RH was hug as well.

Those are huge plays but, if Galax would of not made other critical mistakes those plays would have been overcome.

Again not taking away from RH I just hate seeing those type of issues in a game of that importance. I am NOT saying even if those plays went the other way that Riverheads would not still come out on top. I do agree that without Casto different outcome without a doubt. The cutback runs as Redpride said was huge for RH. WE ARE LUCKY as fans of both programs that our kids get to play for coaching staffs like RH and Galax. RH posters have been very classy all year and thank you for the conversations and congratulations on a 4 peat. That's a huge feat.
As a parent of kids that lost both ways I can tell you its easier to get beaten badly. Losing badly you know you had no chance. We lost on a failed 2 pt conversion and got blown out by WC like 63-6. We still talk about woulda, coulda, shoulda in the 1 pt game but rarely mention the WC game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT