ADVERTISEMENT

Gate City boys beat Union, treat fans to another show

swva_havok_fan

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 23, 2016
Gate City boys beat Union, treat fans to another show
GATE CITY, Va. – Just call it the Southwest Virginia version of the House of Pain.

Feeding off the ear-splitting noise and intensity of the rabid fans at Gate City Middle School, the Gate City Blue Devils downed the Union Bears 82-47 Friday in a Mountain 7 District showdown.

A standing-room-only crowd formed in the gym at 5:30 p.m. for the 8:07 boys game while fans and media members were lined nearly 20 across behind the baskets and outside the gym doors. Over 50 more fans watched the action on a large video projection in the cafeteria.

The star of the thrill-packed show for GC was Bradley Dean, a 6-foot-2 sophomore guard who canned seven 3-pointers en route to a 23-point night.

Dean did most his damage from the top of the key, with several of his bombs coming from the 30-foot range.

“I just have the confidence to shoot and I kind of showed out tonight,” Dean said. “That top of the key is definitely my favorite spot. Defenders are too close to me in the corner. And most of the time, teams are too worried about Mac [McClung] penetrating and is takes too long for them to get to me.”

As for the sticky defense of the Blue Devils, Dean said Gate City is improving with each game.

“We’re working hard in practice, especially on defense,” Dean said. “The closer we can get to being a familiar, the better our defense is going to be.”

Union (10-6, 5-2) frustrated Gate City with a zone defense in the earlier game at the University of Virginia’s College at Wise, but the Blue Devils took advantage of that strategy Friday by hitting 14 3-pointers.

Gate City head Scott Vermillion was unable to coach due to VHSL rules after drawing two technicals in his last game, so assistant Keith Warner served the role as boss of the Blue Devils. Warner also filled in as head coach last year when Vermilion experienced a heart problem.

“This isn’t the way anybody wants to step into the head coaching role, but Coach Vermillion has groomed me and he trusts me,” Warner said. “I’ve been blessed to work with a coach like Scott.”

Warner knew what to expect from the Bears, and GC responded by hitting six treys in the first half.

“They’ve got long athletes and they extended our offense out,” Warner said. “We settled for outside shots early. We would have liked to attack more, but we’ve got some shooters. We’re getting better on offense, and we really played well on defense in the third quarter.”

The 30-year-old Warner, who scored over 1,000 points and led Twin Springs to the state tournament as a point guard, was recently named as the head coach of the Twin Springs football team.

McClung led GC with 30 points and 10 rebounds despite suffering what appeared to be a knee or leg injury in the fourth quarter.

“I think everybody stopped breathing there for a minute, but Mac just said he got a Charley Horse on the side of his thigh,” Warner said

Gate City opened a 15-6 lead behind the 3-point shooting of 6-foot-5 junior Zac Ervin (18 points) and Dean. McClung was able to split the defense for innovative drives.

While fans squeezed for more room in the humid gym, GC built a 22-10 margin in the opening seconds of second quarter on another deep 3-pointer from Dean followed by a step-back jumper from McClung.

The first half ended in style as the 6-2 McClung converted a lob pass from Dean to give the Blue Devils a 39-22 advantage. The Bears were hurt by 10 turnovers in the first two quarters.

Union star James Mitchell (18 points) was active for the Bears, snatching up offensive rebounds and elevating over defenders for baseline drives and hooks while running the offense. But Gate City (15-1, 9-0) quickly applied double pressure when Mitchell posted up in the paint.

Dean dropped a pair 3-pointers from the top of the key to put GC up 51-26 midway through the third quarter. The rest of the night was all fun for the Blue Devils.

Instead of making GC fans celebrate with exotic dunks, McClung did his damage with a quick first step and body control on athletic drives.

After GC built a 60-30 margin through three quarters, a few fans worked their way out of the gym. Those fans missed a two-handed McClung jam set up by a teammate who bounced the ball off the top of the backboard.

“Gate City can score in bunches. You try to limit that, but they went on some pretty big runs tonight and we just couldn’t stop the bleeding,” said Union coach Zack Moore. “Those deep 3s, and just the 3s in general, hurt. We’re not going to play too many teams that can hit 14 3-pointers, but we will give [Dean] those type of shots again.

“You can’t get into a scoring contest with Gate City. We played the zone to force Gate City to shoot and we hoped that they missed enough. But tonight they made most of their shots.”

Five-foot-seven freshman Austin Rasnick added 13 points for Union, which was outscored 22-8 in the third quarter.

I think Mac's contagious confidence is a great thing for this team - it seems that his play encourages others like Dean and Ervin to 'go for it' in games.

This is definitely their year to go all the way.

This kind of talent at the high school level does not come around very often to public schools - and when it does, teams seem to win state titles in 2's and 3's (Brunwick, Lee, Martinsville, Altavista for example kind to mind).

I'll be shocked if they don't win it all (I'm sure Radford fans will have something to say about that, though).

And this all coming from a R E Lee - Staunton fan, who just loves and appreciates good high school basketball.

I look forward to seeing Gate City next Saturday. Do you have the full schedule for the Adam Ward event?

Adam Ward Basketball Classic Returns February 3

Salem High School, the Western Virginia Basketball Officials Association and the City of Salem are once again joining forces to honor the memory of Adam Ward this February. The Basketball Classic, created in his honor, will take place on Saturday, February 3, at Salem High School. Proceeds generated that day will benefit the Adam Ward Scholarship Fund that is part of the Salem Educational Foundation and Alumni Association.

Fourteen of the top boys and girls teams in the region will play in the Salem High School gymnasium, and fans can pick-up an all-day pass for just $10. Tickets can be purchased in advance at Salem High School from 7 a.m. - 2 p.m. each school day, starting January 22. They also will be available at the door the day of the event.

Three of the valley’s longtime basketball supporters, Jerry Spangler, Grant Smythers and Hank Luton, are once again in charge of the tournament. Smythers, who is a teacher and former coach at Salem High, has been instrumental in fundraising for the Ward Scholarship since it was established in 2015 following Adam’s passing.

"Adam personified the true meaning of a student-athlete and he was a huge sports fan who loved high school basketball,” says Smythers. “This 2018 Adam Ward Basketball Classic will highlight some of the best basketball teams from Rockingham County to Scott County, and the money generated from this event will provide scholarship opportunities for students who are deemed ‘Adam-Like’ during their high school careers.”

To learn more about the scholarship and sponsorship opportunities or for more information, please contact Hank Luton at (540) 521-6169 or hluton@salemva.gov.

10:00 a.m. Parry McCluer vs. Broadway (Girls)

11:45 a.m. Salem vs. Glenvar (Girls)

1:30 p.m. Salem vs. Glenvar

3:15 p.m. Pulaski Co. vs. Gate City

5:00 p.m. Lord Botetourt vs. Floyd Co. (Girls)

6:45 p.m. William Fleming vs. Radford

8:30 p.m. Northside vs. Patrick Henry

I think Mac's contagious confidence is a great thing for this team - it seems that his play encourages others like Dean and Ervin to 'go for it' in games.

This is definitely their year to go all the way.

This kind of talent at the high school level does not come around very often to public schools - and when it does, teams seem to win state titles in 2's and 3's (Brunwick, Lee, Martinsville, Altavista for example kind to mind).

I'll be shocked if they don't win it all (I'm sure Radford fans will have something to say about that, though).

And this all coming from a R E Lee - Staunton fan, who just loves and appreciates good high school basketball.

Who did Gate City lose to last year in the playoffs? With Dean and Ervin both being underclassmen, I tend to agree with your sentiment that they could go back to back if the chips fall the right way. They've got to be the favorite the way they've dismantled the competition so far this year. GC-Radford seems inevitable. Who else can contend? Martinsville, Dan River, RE Lee are the three that come to mind as potential regional/state tourney matchups.

You hear about McClung who is Div 1 of course, and Ervin, the junior who is also Div 1, but GC has another one in sophomore Dean. He shoots the eyes out of the ball. He's the best shooter on the team, has incredible ball handling skills, and he's ALSO Div 1, Div 1 now? Of course not, but his senior year, he will put up about 30 per game and he will play Mid Major Div 1 basketball. He's very, very, very skilled. One final thing in reading this thread and these discussions, I see talk of Radford, Lee, and Martinsville, and again......no talk of Graham. Graham is better than Radford, and easily handled Martinsville with 2 starters out according to what I read, and has lost 1 game this year. The last poster wrote about GC, Martinsville, and Radford, all within a good 3 hours drive of each other (maybe further from Mahavi to GC) and then asked the question as to who else? That answer is Graham. Graham is the second best team of the 4, and Graham's best night can beat Gate City's bad night. If they play 10 times, GC is winning 8, but again, if GC brings a C- or D game, and Graham brings a B+ or A game, they can actually beat Gate City.

The best 5 teams in the state are
Gate City
Lee
Graham
Radford
Dan River, M-Ville will be there by seasons end, but not right now

Who did Gate City lose to last year in the playoffs? With Dean and Ervin both being underclassmen, I tend to agree with your sentiment that they could go back to back if the chips fall the right way. They've got to be the favorite the way they've dismantled the competition so far this year. GC-Radford seems inevitable. Who else can contend? Martinsville, Dan River, RE Lee are the three that come to mind as potential regional/state tourney matchups.

Gate City lost to Lee in the much anticipated state quarterfinals last year - game went to OT, with Lee coming out on top 81-74.

That half of the draw had Gate City, Lee and Dan River in it last season.

Lee faced Dan River in the semis, and had to come from way behind to win yet another OT thriller 75-72 over DR.

Lee then pretty much coasted (compared to the previous two games) to the state title over Amelia County 84-71

Last year's state tournament was pretty much a coming out party for Lee's Jarvis Vaughan - who ended up being 1st team all state, along with teammate Darius George, who was 2A player of the year.

In comparion, Gate City was so young - McClung (jr) Ervin (soph) and Dean (fr) - a very bright future.

26992238_1534738583313961_2438905783381221366_n.jpg

That side of the bracket was STACKED. I believe the three best teams were all on one side in Lee, GC and Dan River.

And I'm not sure I agree about Graham. They're very good but not sure better than Radford, Lee or Dan River. Sure they beat Martinsville but also lost to 1A Eastside IIRC.

That side of the bracket was STACKED. I believe the three best teams were all on one side in Lee, GC and Dan River.

And I'm not sure I agree about Graham. They're very good but not sure better than Radford, Lee or Dan River. Sure they beat Martinsville but also lost to 1A Eastside IIRC.

Graham-Eastside was a benefit game. Graham was missing 2 starters and the Backups/JV only played after half time.

Graham has only lost 1 game so far, to cross town rival Bluefield, WV, in which they had a 12 point lead in the 4th quarter before Mookie Collier led Bluefield to a comeback win. That game was while Cam Allen was still out for Graham. The Graham-Bluefield rematch is tonight at 7:00 at the brushfork Armory with Graham at full strength.

Graham-Eastside was a benefit game. Graham was missing 2 starters and the Backups/JV only played after half time.

Graham has only lost 1 game so far, to cross town rival Bluefield, WV, in which they had a 12 point lead in the 4th quarter before Mookie Collier led Bluefield to a comeback win. That game was while Cam Allen was still out for Graham. The Graham-Bluefield rematch is tonight at 7:00 at the brushfork Armory with Graham at full strength.

I'm still not sure they're the second best team in 2A, but theres no doubt they have the talent to make a run.

I'm still not sure they're the second best team in 2A, but theres no doubt they have the talent to make a run.

No, they’re not. Tonight is the first time I’ve watched them this season in person. They’re scrappy and fundamental and have a great scorer in Martin but no shooters. I was wrong about them being full strength too, Allen isn’t playing

No, they’re not. Tonight is the first time I’ve watched them this season in person. They’re scrappy and fundamental and have a great scorer in Martin but no shooters. I was wrong about them being full strength too, Allen isn’t playing

I thought he came back a few games ago?

And I had heard Graham was good but not GC good from some Union folk. I know the GMen smacked Union around but the Bears shot terribly in that game and the score was worse than it seemed apparently.

Graham still prob second best in Region D but likely not a final four team.

And on top of that it's Region C vs Region D in the state tournament first round....

Lester is also out with a separated shoulder. So definitely not at full strength.

Both players were out in the first Bluefield matchup. Somebody said they lost to Eastside... That was a scrimmage and half half of the team did not participate due to football and a lot of players not having enough practices. Scrimmages dont count towards win and loss record.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT