ADVERTISEMENT

Gate City

High Fidelity: Dream Team? I know you are not speaking of Richlands...or maybe Graham?

Yes MC is ranked in Top 10 but that does not matter. They are 17-2 with games v. William Monroe and top 10 George Mason to finish the regular season.

The Blue Tornado will be strong next season, they're still learning how to win right now. And since you mentioned Graham, yeh, they are having a pretty good season, too. They did beat Richlands at Graham by 10 and their two losses are to Honaker by 1 and to cross-town rival and perennial WV State Tourney contender, Bluefield by 14 (Graham won the first game between the two by 13). I wouldn't discount either team. Richlands proved they could play with Union last night at Union even though they came up one point short.

So is Richlands the "Dream Team" you mentioned?
This Richlands team is basically entirely juniors with a few others sprinkled in. The core group of them played AAU together and someone gave them the moniker "dream team" because they won pretty much everywhere they went.

We've got a new coach this year and a new system. Richlands has 8 players that can legitimately light it up from 3. Their biggest issue is depth at the 5 spot. But they are going to full court press every team they play and force them to beat them.

This team will be damn scary next year when they are all seniors.

I would like to see them play Madison Co. MC presses and plays fast as well. They are young. Couple of Freshmen start, great leadership in their junior class, and a solid sophomore off the bench. A couple of the kids on the JV team started the year on the Varsity but moved down. They should be ready to contribute next season. Maybe we will meet somewhere on down the road. It would be nice to play the "Dream Team".

We have a freshman who had to come up from JV to fill a spot when we had a player suspended and now the player is back and the freshman is still on varsity and he has started some games since.

This isn't the year for them. This is a year to get the experience needed to beat some of these teams and see what happens when you get out of the SEC tournament. Next year is the year of expectation.

I would like to see them play Madison Co. MC presses and plays fast as well. They are young. Couple of Freshmen start, great leadership in their junior class, and a solid sophomore off the bench. A couple of the kids on the JV team started the year on the Varsity but moved down. They should be ready to contribute next season. Maybe we will meet somewhere on down the road. It would be nice to play the "Dream Team".
Madison County is always GOOD! They beat probably the most talented team we've had in the Danville area in the past 8 years in Dan River back in the 2009 state playoffs. That team had Darren White who currently plays in the NBDL and Charles Warren who had a very solid career at Ferrum College & is currently the head coach at Chatham. Dan River was absolutely stacked.

In '09, Madison beat the Darren White lead DR team in the regional finals. However, the undefeated Mountaineers lost to DR in the state semi-finals to finish that year 28-1. If I remember correctly, DR overcame an 8 point deficit in the last 2 minutes to edge the Mounties. Madison ran the table in '10 going 26-0 (couple of snow outs) to win the state. This years team has some similarities with that '08-'10 group.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT