ADVERTISEMENT

Gate City

AntGZee

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2015
Gate City drops a game 90-31 to a 6-6 team from Bristol?????? Is this score a misprint?

No, not a misprint ant. The surprising thing about this score is that Gate City had played Tennessee High twice before this year and beat them both times. Must have had a really bad night and a huge letdown from the big ot win the night before against Union. Strange but crap happens.

Reactions: AntGZee
I I understand that things happen but to drop a game by almost 60 points. That's mind boggling. Still alot of basketball to be played. I just hope my Bulldawgs don't hv a game like that.

How does a team play another 3 X in the regular season.

Twice were regular season the other was in a tournament over the holidays. If you remember the Dogs played GW 3 times ladt year under the same circumstances.

Yeah I gotcha now. I 4got about Christmas tournaments.

I went to this game. GC was very cold shooting the ball.... Couldn't have thrown a beach ball into the ocean. And on top of that THS was hitting just about every 3 pt shot they put up...I think they made 13 or 14 of them, several times coming in spurts of 3 or 4 made in a row. The effort was there in the first period but once they got down by about 12 pts in the 2nd period Vermillion started pulling his starters and subbing in deep bench players that rarely see the court. Didn't agree with doing that... Wanted to see them play against some adversity and see how they faired. The score was something like 11-5 THS at the end of the first if that tells you anything. GC had been averaging like 24-26 pts in the first period.

One of the most athletically gifted teams I've seen GC have in a long time. The problem I see them having is when they face a team with a true big man in the post. Their offense is electric.....but their defense has alot to be desired at times. Two of their best players are a freshman and a sophomore.

Last edited:
Well there still a lot of basketball to be played.

Agree with you 100%. Curious as to how they rebound from that game. They haven't had a game since then and the next one isn't til this weekend....a 2 week break. Could be good or could spell disaster.

Would really like to see how good Martinsville is. Have heard alot about them but haven't had the chance to watch much ball due to work schedule.

Martinsville is facing a long lay off too. This snow sux. I'm partial towards Martinsville, which I'm sure u already know this. The Dawgs are a very good team I think they shoot too many 3s but that's part of their game. If they continue to play as a team, they will be extremely tough to beat. In my opinion, they are one of the better teams in the state, no matter the classification. The lone loss was to Radford. Radford was unconscious behind the arc and still only won by 3 @ their gym. I will say this, " Vonnte Holland is a one man wrecking crew". When the others around him are playing equally as well, then watch out.

They looked very athletic in the video on Hudl I just watched against Patrick County. Couldnt really tell how talented Patrick County was though. What number is the Holland kid? And does Martinsville play much zone defense?

Union is another team that's very athletic and tough to beat. GC blew an early lead and barely squeaked it out against them at their place. I'm partial to GC as I graduated from there....but I'm still fair in my assessments and try not to be too much of a homer.

Patrick Co is not the best of teams to judge Martinsville. When they play GW of Danville, then check that video out. GW is a top tier 4A school this year. Dawgs were supposed to play them this past Friday and then STAB Saturday. The snow smashed that. STAB has a Duke committee. Holland is our big man 6'7. His number is 15. It's hard to miss him. He's tall light skin, with a huge afro.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Actually I just now realized it and it says the video I watched was from the 2013-2014 season. But im guessing the big man playing then was the same big man that plays now.... same number and looked just like how you described him.

In all the videos I just watched they played a zone D at some point. Wish GC would at least consider implementing the zone.

Is there any teams that stand out in NOVA or far eastern VA this year? Haven't really had the chance to look into it.

Martinsville plays at 2-3 which is good at times. They should play man 2 man at times. George Mason from Fairfax is the only team north that good that I know of along with RE Lee of Staunton. Most of the rest are spread from Charlottesville on down.

I like man to man....but there's a time and place for a change up on defense.

I've seen alot posted about RE Lee but I haven't checked them out. Also heard a few people talking about Dan River too. Should get real interesting here in a few weeks. Heck Im honestly not even sure how the post season is set up anymore.

I'm sure u know, we beat Dan River for the chip last year. DR is good again this year.

I think i remember hearing it last year... but honestly i had forgot who yall beat to win it all til you mentioned it.

DR is good. Devin Stone, Rodney Womble, Zemar Anderson and JoJo Reynolds are to DR as Holland, Cam Bradley, Hairston and Jay are to Mville, they make the team go. If Womble and big man Anderson plays in the State game last year it would've been closer tho I think the Dawgs would have still won cause they were just that good. This year I think Mville is still the favorite with Greensville, DR, Lee, Mason and Madison following in that order. DR isn't going to get tested like Mville will. To call GW Danville good is an understatement as this is the best team I've seen them have since the 06 and 07 teams that was nationally ranked. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dawgs pull one of the three big games between GW and Northside out.

I think GC or Union could slip in and stir the pot up a bit with some of these teams.....however not sure they could handle the likes of Martinsville. I haven't really got to watch any of these teams so its really hard for me to have any knowledge or input on where GC or Union stands in comparison to them.

I think GC or Union could slip in and stir the pot up a bit with some of these teams.....however not sure they could handle the likes of Martinsville. I haven't really got to watch any of these teams so its really hard for me to have any knowledge or input on where GC or Union stands in comparison to them.
I've seen Union on the Bristol Herald Courier and they look pretty impressive but Martinsville historically doesn't have much trouble with too many teams from SWVA. Union is pretty big and athletic but my question is can their guards handle the constant press from Zanthus Hairston, Cam Bradley, Ty Carter and company? That's my question for any team in 2a.

Yea Union is a solid team but somewhat of a one man wrecking crew with others that play good through and by his success. GC has alot of size and athleticism as well but the offensive production is a little more spread out.

And I agree with you....Union may crumble if they was to deal with that sort of pressure...hard to tell. Honestly I would prefer someone to press against GC. When teams go into a zone and slow GCs offensive pace down....thats when they start to sputter. Consistency is off with them too even in their better games. They may go up by 15-25 points....then have a cold spell for 4-6 minutes and let a team cut a lead back to 5-10 pts. I think alot of it has to do with their 2 best players being so young and lack alot of experience.

Those games against GW and Northside will be great. I'm picking my boys to win 2 of the 3 games in that match up. I did mention that GW was a top tier team.

Those games against GW and Northside will be great. I'm picking my boys to win 2 of the 3 games in that match up. I did mention that GW was a top tier team.
Yes sir you did. I just wanted to emphasize how good they are lol..Martinsville is a top tier team also. It's going to be a heck of a game. Thing that I give Martinsville the edge on GW is big man. GW may run a box in one on Holland cause they don't have an actual "big man". Curtis Brooks (6'3 245) and Amardius Jones (6'4 165) plays big man by committee for GW and I think it may take more to stop Holland. If you want to see guard play this is the game to see. Martinsville is loaded at the guard position and so is GW, which is about 5 guards deep.

Madison County is going to be a tough night for just about anybody they play. They are an uptempo team and like to run. However, they have shown the ability to adapt and play the half court game. They understand that defense is important and really get after teams. A short bench may be the Achilles heel on down the road. They only go 8 deep.

Yeah, they were down 19 in the third quarter, cut it to one, took a brief one point lead, lost when Central (Woodstock) made FTs. Not a bad loss, Central has some talent. But a loss is a loss. I think MC is 16-2 now.

Lets hear it! I'm interested in hearing who everyone is sleeping on myself.

GC played a little better tonight.....still played sloppy in the first half but heated up at the end of the 2nd period. Then by 5 mins into the 3 period it was pretty much over. GC also played some deep bench players early in the game tonight.

If any of you guys have some scores from tonight post em'

Last edited:
Still....that's a pretty impressive win. Seems like they have a solid defense. That's what GC is lacking. They dont have the defense that the 07 and 08 teams had.

The PG for Wise Central had close to half of their points tonight. Solid player but should have been able to hold him to 15 pts.

Saw that Dan River put a whipping on a good but sluggish Appomattox team tonight. I'm friends with just about all of the referees in the area and I've had multiple say that if Appo hadn't played into December in football that they'd be a top basketball team. Had DR on the ropes all night but DR is very deep and ran away in the fourth quarter. DR is much improved from last year. Zemar Anderson and Rod Womble are difference makers.

When u say top, do u mean top in the district, conference or state?

Yea, the article said that Appomattox was only down 3 with 4 minutes to play, but Appo ran out of gas and Dan River finished strong.

When u say top, do u mean top in the district, conference or state?
I was told at least top 8 in the state! My pops went to the last night and said they were pretty good but he could tell they still haven't gotten their basketball legs. Guess we won't know until conference time if this team is forreal. Should be no excuses by then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT