ADVERTISEMENT

George Wythe Maroons?

Scagmowers

VaPreps Varsity
Aug 10, 2014
What are the maroons going to do this year? Not much being said. Let's here it to have some football talk.

Let’s just say this year it seems the maroons are struggling. Lack of players have led to no jv team. Gonna be tough for the program to progress in the future without this. So from the way things are looking GW is gonna likely be the little brother of wythe county for the first time in over 20 years. The root runs pretty deep as far as what has led to this all coming about.

Let’s just say this year it seems the maroons are struggling. Lack of players have led to no jv team. Gonna be tough for the program to progress in the future without this. So from the way things are looking GW is gonna likely be the little brother of wythe county for the first time in over 20 years. The root runs pretty deep as far as what has led to this all coming about.
I can only imagine

Harner is 34-14 and on the hot seat....SMH

He walked into a gold mine. The true sign of a coach is maintaining a program once he gets his players from the freshman class on. I look for GW to fall off. I have seen GW play and I have nothing bad to say about Coach Harner just trying to state the facts. Not sure if Nick Saben would make the Maroon fans happy.

You nailed it...not gonna be happy no matter what. It’s been an entitlement mentality in wytheville for years. It’s never good enough. Like you said...just facts! Shame to see the shape they’re in but it’s not all Harner. Normally you don’t hear this kind of a situation when the record is reflecting success. Hope it gets better in Wythe County as a whole. 2 our of the3 schools have new coaches. I just hope it’s not a sign for things to come in this area!!!

We will either have the 1st losing season in 25+ years. Or the team will shock the hell out of us. I really can't see and in between I hope I'm wrong but that seems like what it's come to. GW has always had a JV and a damn good on at that. It's really sad to see how far it has fallen off. As said above Harney was given a gold mine and he couldn't produce gold with it. And now he and GW are gonna pay for that. I have literally been saying this for years now I was told by many parents that they would take the kids elsewhere. And they did without a second thought. Yes his record is damn good he lead the team to several deep runs ect, ect, ect. But what he didn't do was make a connection with his players. It's been proven time and time again a Coach who connects with his kids can beat a team with 10× the talent because the kids want to play for him. But one who thinks they are above the kids will never succeed. It's sad but that is the case at GW this year the well definitely has run dry it's still completely full like always. But the kids would rather go to a rival or walk the halls instead of playing for him.

Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
There is no doubt that the jv program has been strong throughout the years. The jv program has been the key to grooming these successful varsity teams for a long time. Crazy really to think that all of hard work that was put in by so many falls to the wayside!

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Wytheville has a bad habit of thinking their kids are better than what they actually are. Yes, they’ve had talent the last couple of years, but not state championship talent. No way they beat Riverheads the past two years. Wytheville is full of people who think their crap doesn’t stink and their kids are D1 athletes. Reality is, those same players are suiting up for powerhouse Emory & Henry.

Wytheville has a bad habit of thinking their kids are better than what they actually are. Yes, they’ve had talent the last couple of years, but not state championship talent. No way they beat Riverheads the past two years. Wytheville is full of people who think their crap doesn’t stink and their kids are D1 athletes. Reality is, those same players are suiting up for powerhouse Emory & Henry.
Beating up on the likes of Holston and Northwood over the years must have inflated some egos. The Hogo was never a good fit for GW.

Blaster, as a former player for Coach Harner please stop telling so many lies like you actually know what is going on inside the program!!! We all know who you are and literally laughed about what you were saying during the course of the year!!! Coach Harner always told us not to respond but I have graduated now!!! Relationships are what Coach Harner does first above anything else. He has offered his home to players that need shelter. He has brought them cleats, clothes and help in any way throughout my four years at George Wythe. Stop, before we all start calling you out on everything!!!! Also, all the so-called coaching your did at the REC???? Literally you held a BAG!!!!! Thank you for helping but you do not deserve the credit for any of the SUCCESS we have had the last four years!!!!! 39-13 All that needs to be said!!!

I read on here he was leaving but that proved to be false. I guess just because it is on a website doesn't make it so. I personally think he has done a good job. Numbers for football as a whole, across the nation, are down. I think it has a lot to do with our soft society. They don't like commitment.

Reactions: pred43
Blaster, as a former player for Coach Harner please stop telling so many lies like you actually know what is going on inside the program!!! We all know who you are and literally laughed about what you were saying during the course of the year!!! Coach Harner always told us not to respond but I have graduated now!!! Relationships are what Coach Harner does first above anything else. He has offered his home to players that need shelter. He has brought them cleats, clothes and help in any way throughout my four years at George Wythe. Stop, before we all start calling you out on everything!!!! Also, all the so-called coaching your did at the REC???? Literally you held a BAG!!!!! Thank you for helping but you do not deserve the credit for any of the SUCCESS we have had the last four years!!!!! 39-13 All that needs to be said!!!
Wow...shots fired...this post proves that the kids read what is on here.

Eh, not exactly. Could be a coach or fan or student friend who doesn’t play.

Eh, not exactly. Could be a coach or fan or student friend who doesn’t play.
So when I say I played and this is the way it really is, it's a conspiracy but someone else with an alias gets on here and spouts lies and hearsay it's the truth?

Never once have I said I deserved credit for any success at GW over the past few years. My playing and coaching days are over l. And thank you for all the work and effort you put in over the last 4 years. But I know what I've been told and by who. Your teammates have told me more than I'll ever put on this site or any other site. And I've said it time and time again Harner is a great guy outside the game. But if you really did play at GW over the last few years than you should know better than myself or any other poster here the amount of talent WASTED! I'm not the only one saying these things I'm just more vocal about my opinion. I have no problem with you or anyone else knowing who I am ask Fort89 he'll tell exactly who I am. But please don't expect me to back down on what I know to be truth because he doesn't like it. And as far as my rec league coaching goes yep I held a bag sure did but I also designed every single play that was called on those teams. Ask the other coach he may have called them on the field but I created them and called them from the sidelines.

Best of luck to you in the future.

So when I say I played and this is the way it really is, it's a conspiracy but someone else with an alias gets on here and spouts lies and hearsay it's the truth?
Man they take my word cause it's been proven time and time again. Am I an Ahole yep but I speak the truth. If you say it's all lies then you don't know what you teammates are saying to other people. They may tell you one thing and tell me something completely different. I don't say this stuff to blow anyone up or piss anyone off. I say it cause it's what I've been told.

Reactions: Daddy_rabbit
Again, That is fine I know this is your place where you feel important and maybe even respected by some. But I just wanted to finally get a chance to say that is not how the majority of kids/players feel towards Coach Harner. This will let other posters know that there is another side to the story and not all is doom and gloom at George Wythe. We all know what Coach Harner has done for us and would continue to do for us throughout our lives! Also, if you believe we should have won the State Championship those two years that's your opinion, not the gospel. We did not play well enough to beat Riverheads or Sussex in the state semis those two years and the better team that day won. It's life you win and you lose. You can't go around blaming everyone else for your failures in life. You own them, learn from them, and grow as a man. A lesson from Coach Harner. Also if George Wythe is as good as you make us out to be all the time, why has the school only won two state championships since the 1950's? With that theory, any coach that has been at George Wythe is a failure. Which is ridiculous.

Again, That is fine I know this is your place where you feel important and maybe even respected by some. But I just wanted to finally get a chance to say that is not how the majority of kids/players feel towards Coach Harner. This will let other posters know that there is another side to the story and not all is doom and gloom at George Wythe. We all know what Coach Harner has done for us and would continue to do for us throughout our lives! Also, if you believe we should have won the State Championship those two years that's your opinion, not the gospel. We did not play well enough to beat Riverheads or Sussex in the state semis those two years and the better team that day won. It's life you win and you lose. You can't go around blaming everyone else for your failures in life. You own them, learn from them, and grow as a man. A lesson from Coach Harner. Also if George Wythe is as good as you make us out to be all the time, why has the school only won two state championships since the 1950's? With that theory, any coach that has been at George Wythe is a failure. Which is ridiculous.
That's fair and that's all I ask. And yes every coin has 2 sides and you're a smart young man based off what you just said. And dude I've said it before Harner is a great guy he just isn't the coach GW has needed. And yes you're correct only 2 titles in our history. But you're about to get into the age old conversation of "I walked up hill both ways" the teams of old at GW would have walked over, through, around or anything else they wanted against the level of competition you guys played. 1993 GW would have beat every single team by 40+ and that include RH and Sussex. And they are just the 1st one that comes to mind. Don't get me started on the 1983 team. But to get back to the point he is a good guy but not a good coach. He has a killer record because of the talent he was given a 5 year old could've made it to the semis with those 2 teams. And you kinda made the point for me you lost to those teams because they were better coached not more talented. You lose because your coaching staff failed you by not making sure you're ready for a team who doesn't fear you simply because you're GW. I know you know it and everyone who reads this knows it. GW has always had an arrogance about it that's why teams want to beat us. We show up knowing we will win because we are GW and buddy that has bit us more times than I can count. The teams I played for were just as guilty as any other. Like I said talent has a lot to do with winning but coaching is the most important aspect of football. A good coach will make a great team look bad if they aren't coached on his level. Mark Dixon and Galax proved that many times.

That's fair and that's all I ask. And yes every coin has 2 sides and you're a smart young man based off what you just said. And dude I've said it before Harner is a great guy he just isn't the coach GW has needed. And yes you're correct only 2 titles in our history. But you're about to get into the age old conversation of "I walked up hill both ways" the teams of old at GW would have walked over, through, around or anything else they wanted against the level of competition you guys played. 1993 GW would have beat every single team by 40+ and that include RH and Sussex. And they are just the 1st one that comes to mind. Don't get me started on the 1983 team. But to get back to the point he is a good guy but not a good coach. He has a killer record because of the talent he was given a 5 year old could've made it to the semis with those 2 teams. And you kinda made the point for me you lost to those teams because they were better coached not more talented. You lose because your coaching staff failed you by not making sure you're ready for a team who doesn't fear you simply because you're GW. I know you know it and everyone who reads this knows it. GW has always had an arrogance about it that's why teams want to beat us. We show up knowing we will win because we are GW and buddy that has bit us more times than I can count. The teams I played for were just as guilty as any other. Like I said talent has a lot to do with winning but coaching is the most important aspect of football. A good coach will make a great team look bad if they aren't coached on his level. Mark Dixon and Galax proved that many times.
Mark Dixon has lost how many games? How many state-semis games? He even lost a state championship game. Does that mean he doesn't know what he is doing? Does that mean he didn't prepare his teams? Or does that mean simply the players did not execute as well as they should have to win? If Galax fans had your standards it would be an unbearable place to play or coach. Coach Dixon is a great coach and just to get to that point in a season should be something celebrated not picked apart.

Going even further Casto from Riverheads has he ever lost any games? State-semis? State Championships? Does that make him a bad coach? Absolutely not. Be a fan, not a FANATIC.

Blaster I have to agree with you here. You do sometimes come across as an a_hole, but that’s ok. I believe your intentions are good. You are definitely a G dub fan thru and thru. We all get a little emotional and excited from time to time. That’s just part of being a fan.
One or the things I’ve grown to know is that you stay real to your team no matter what. Your kinda known around here for bragging them boys up when they do well and your also one of the first to admit when they come out flat. It’s just who you are! Furthermore I’d be willing to bet if a Pick Em was going on this week and wytheville was playing Salem you’d still say and quote... “gonna have to go with my ROONS”!
Good luck this year and let’s just see who sits back and gets the last laugh.

I dont know who is right or who has more inside info. Blaster is a reputable poster when you have no idea what is going on there. Maybe some from that area have differing opinions, but I cant recall him ever getting out of line. He seems to tell it how it is IN HIS EYES. I like him.

In saying that Blaster, I will have to disagree with one statement you made here. GW may have that aura about them where they show up and know they are going to win, but I can almost guarantee others do to, such as Riverheads, Essex, Sussex, Salem, etc. Its not a disc on the opponents, as I am sure they respect them.

But if that is the attitude that they have always had, then that cannot be attributed to current or former coaches.

They may have had the most talent, but that doesnt always equate, and sometimes that has nothing to do with the coaches. And those other teams had talent as well.

Well....

This has certainly been an interesting read from two polar opposite ends of the spectrum.

I dont know who is right or who has more inside info. Blaster is a reputable poster when you have no idea what is going on there. Maybe some from that area have differing opinions, but I cant recall him ever getting out of line. He seems to tell it how it is IN HIS EYES. I like him.

In saying that Blaster, I will have to disagree with one statement you made here. GW may have that aura about them where they show up and know they are going to win, but I can almost guarantee others do to, such as Riverheads, Essex, Sussex, Salem, etc. Its not a disc on the opponents, as I am sure they respect them.

But if that is the attitude that they have always had, then that cannot be attributed to current or former coaches.

They may have had the most talent, but that doesnt always equate, and sometimes that has nothing to do with the coaches. And those other teams had talent as well.
Couldn't agree more man most talent doesn't always win. But GW usually does have that cocky arrogance. That's honestly why so many don't like us. And if I made it seem like that is a atmosphere that the coaches create I'm here to say it isn't. Imo Coach Pruitt was the best to ever coach at GW. Yes I'm very bias towards him because I played under him. And I can tell you he would get our ass for that attitude on a regular basis. It comes from so many years of success at some level be it a title or just another district title. So when a new group comes up they have that same attitude. Is it right no probably not but it's what happens.

I do want to say this if Harner really is making the connection that is being talked about then I don't care if he ever wins. That means more than any title ever will.

But I promise you I'm being told a whole other story guys by starters and backups alike.

You sound like That HRBOOM guy! Both of you are idiots and Want to bash people who work hard! Get a life and quit living in a dream world! Talk about football and how to make it grow not about you and what you and your kid is doing! Suck AZZ!

You sound like That HRBOOM guy! Both of you are idiots and Want to bash people who work hard! Get a life and quit living in a dream world! Talk about football and how to make it grow not about you and what you and your kid is doing! Suck AZZ!

I can see how one person could be viewed as that. I don't agree he is an idiot, and I am pretty sure he wouldn't have a kid that age (I could be wrong). And while I disagree on how the young man handled his assessment, I dont think he talked bad about anyone but Blaster, and I cant say without knowing them or the program who is right. I choose to see it as both are right and just have differing opinions and perspectives on it.

So who besides Blaster and the coach and 17 and Blaster is talking bad about anyone?

I can see how one person could be viewed as that. I don't agree he is an idiot, and I am pretty sure he wouldn't have a kid that age (I could be wrong). And while I disagree on how the young man handled his assessment, I dont think he talked bad about anyone but Blaster, and I cant say without knowing them or the program who is right. I choose to see it as both are right and just have differing opinions and perspectives on it.

So who besides Blaster and the coach and 17 and Blaster is talking bad about anyone?

keyword: perspectives

I don't have any kids yet and I literally don't talk about myself unless asked or attacked. Meaning if someone comes at me saying I've done this or said that then I'll state clearly what it is that I've actually said or done.

Either way we can all feel how we want and we are all welcome to have our own opinion.

The keyword that keeps coming up with is "talent". Blaster views talent one way, others view it a different way.

I remember hearing how good GW was, would go and watch their games and was really only impressed with a couple players. I would watch them take the field against Radford, very comparable talent. It's easy to be the most talented team week in and out playing in the Hogo. The Hogo schedule gave GW a false sense of identity in where they really sit in the scheme of talent. Remember, those boys out East can play......and I mean really play!

A typical GW season...."We have the most talented team, so if we play to our potential then we should beat everyone by 5-6 TDs."

GW this season...."We had the most talent but our coach stinks and none of the players like them. So most of our talent went to other schools and decided not to play."

It's sad that people actually state this out loud and then they start believing it.....

Reactions: FootballArmy
All y'all fighting over board hype baby.
The kids are who we back baby. Believe in the kids and stop fighting like little girls all the time

Might be a tough year baby. But ain't no quit in GW baby.

Believe that .

Reactions: pred43
As far as game tonight, Radford is very improved but GW didn’t help themselves any tonight. Kept shooting themselves in the foot, Radford’s first 3 TD’s were set up by a blocked punt, a botched/bad snap on punt and shanked punt. Can’t give a team short fields

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT