ADVERTISEMENT

Giles Spartans.

This appears to be a fishing expedition to see if anybody knows anything about the recruitment of a certain player at Giles.

If it’s the one I’m thinking of he may very well end up at a rival TRD school from what I’ve been told

And if it's what my buddies tell me at work, he may end up playing for the 2018 state champions in AA. I don't know for sure, but there may be a reason 19GHS87 asked about how Giles will be looking this year. He may have very well been fishing. No better place to fish than the New River

And if it's what my buddies tell me at work, he may end up playing for the 2018 state champions in AA. I don't know for sure, but there may be a reason 19GHS87 asked about how Giles will be looking this year. He may have very well been fishing. No better place to fish than the New River

Interesting. Heard he might suit up for the team the AA champs beat in the state semis

Interesting. Heard he might suit up for the team the AA champs beat in the state semis

If that panned out, the Bobcats will be likely have one of the top lines in the state. We likely already do with what returns, but getting a transfer like that would definitely put us in the mix of one of the better lineplay teams in AA this coming season.

Reactions: eastspartan
Looks like I got a couple of bites !!

I do believe that there is a good chance that he will leave the Spartans, he is being recruited, but I believe that some of the interested D-1 schools have not offered yet because they want to see him in a more traditional offense. It's really hard to tell where he will end up. Wherever it may be, let's hope it is best for him personally. He may end up staying right where he is at, if a good offer comes along.

You guys are good, man. Can't get anything past you.

If so,
Graham will be preseason number one in the state. They were likely going to be anyway, but that will seal the deal. Graham will have 3 legitimate D1 recruits and I would suspect at least 1 of their 2 all state linebackers getting a D1 offer before the season is over. It's more than possible, buy it will be difficult for any AA team to beat a team with 3, possibly 4 D1 guys. The problem for Graham is that their counterparts in the same town, but on the other side of the state line in Bluefield WV will also have 3, maybe 4 D1 guys. One other thing about Graham, they will have the son of former NFL rb Ahmad Bradshaw playing WR who I think will be a sophomore.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolNation85
If indeed he goes to Graham, there will be a lot of D 1 scouts watching him. Lester and Meadows have already gotten D- 1 offers. Edwards and Kastner are getting D-1 looks. (Not sure if either of those 2 have offers yet. The first game against Bluefield will have D-1 recruiters in attendance for sure, as Bluefield has 2 or 3 D-1 prospects on their roster as well. Graham runs out of multiple sets and scouts will be able to evaluate him well in that type of offense. As for Bradshaw's son, he is very athletic and quick. Still lacks size and needs to gain some strength in the weight-room, but should be a good change of pace back. Graham's RB's will be simply be bruising with a 210 lb Booker and 250 lb Reed running the ball. If they have a good line, they will be able to run over teams with those 2 and around teams with Lester and Turner.

If indeed he goes to Graham, there will be a lot of D 1 scouts watching him. Lester and Meadows have already gotten D- 1 offers. Edwards and Kastner are getting D-1 looks. (Not sure if either of those 2 have offers yet. The first game against Bluefield will have D-1 recruiters in attendance for sure, as Bluefield has 2 or 3 D-1 prospects on their roster as well. Graham runs out of multiple sets and scouts will be able to evaluate him well in that type of offense. As for Bradshaw's son, he is very athletic and quick. Still lacks size and needs to gain some strength in the weight-room, but should be a good change of pace back. Graham's RB's will be simply be bruising with a 210 lb Booker and 250 lb Reed running the ball. If they have a good line, they will be able to run over teams with those 2 and around teams with Lester and Turner.

Sounds like in Region D the only teams that have a chance to come within three scores of Graham this year are Ridgeview and Richlands. Both LBs from Graham will be on the all state team and compete for defensive player of the year.

I dont know about Region D and the other teams, but Union is always solid. Being a favorite (Graham) doesnt mean you cant take an L. Graham can certainly be beat, and so can any other team in AA.

I dont know about Region D and the other teams, but Union is always solid. Being a favorite (Graham) doesnt mean you cant take an L. Graham can certainly be beat, and so can any other team in AA.
Union should be solid again this year, but a little young.

Don't want to crown Graham before practice even starts, but they will be the favorites in Reg D.

Me and you might be the only ones holding Union in high regards. Every time I’ve brought them up people keep telling me they are going to be down this year.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
Me and you might be the only ones holding Union in high regards. Every time I’ve brought them up people keep telling me they are going to be down this year.
Keep in mind, since their 1st year of consolidation in 2011, a down year has been 1 playoff victory.

The word "down" I suppose is relative. They will be competitive, but I don't see a state run. However, they have surprised me before.

Looks like I got a couple of bites !!

I do believe that there is a good chance that he will leave the Spartans, he is being recruited, but I believe that some of the interested D-1 schools have not offered yet because they want to see him in a more traditional offense. It's really hard to tell where he will end up. Wherever it may be, let's hope it is best for him personally. He may end up staying right where he is at, if a good offer comes along.

You guys are good, man. Can't get anything past you.

College coaches don't care what system you play in - that will not affect a player's recruiting.

Reactions: bulldog1150
I respectfully disagree. An offensive lineman needs to show that they can pass protect.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
The system does not matter. Not one bit. If the kids checks the boxes he can play there . If not, he cant. Plain and simple.

But how can you know if he checks the boxes? Let’s say you’re a coach at Texas Tech and you throw the ball 60 - 70 times per game. You watch Kip Green’s film at Giles of him run blocking for the single wing the entire game, how are you going to know if he checks your boxes of a lineman who will have to pass protect 60-70 times per game?

But game film matters, and coaches love to see a kid getting a lot of reps in their style of offense.

I think that is how it should be, but I don't know if that is always the case. I recently read on the 4a board about a kid who has NEVER PLAYED A DOWN of football and he is being recruited for the top schools in the country. I don't remember if he had gotten offers or what.

That is of course a rare thing if true, but it's all about measurables. I think the kid is playing this year.

One that comes to mind in this classification, and I am certainly not saying the kid isnt deserving, but the RB from Ridgeview. I think I remember reading as a Freshman getting offers to D-1 schools. That certainly would have less to do with film. Then there is the flip side with kids we have all seen, the GREAT HS players who can barely get a lower level offer because of their measurables or not going to camps.

And colleges run one days all summer long where athletes can show their skills.[/Q

Skills that arent developed in a single wing offense. Not saying that Im right or that you are wrong. It may be a combination of both. I guess it depends on who is doing the recruiting too.

Last edited:
If a college coach is looking at an offensive linemen, he’s looking for size and body type. What’s the players athletic ability and what’s his growth potential? How strong is? Is he coachable and what kind of student is he? Is he a competitor? These are the things they are looking for. As far as Texas Tech and what system the kid played in, Texas Tech pays their offensive line coach 1/4 million dollars a year to make sure the kid knows how to pass protect, zone block, etc. Whether the kid played in the single wing or the run n shoot in high school really doesn’t matter. You’d be surprised but a college coach will ask about a players parents more than they will about the offensive system

A D1 offensive line coach wants the following in a recruit:

1. Size(an absolute)
2. great feet
3. a nasty attitude
4. a love of football

They don't give a darn what system they play in. If a kid has those four things then there isn't a OL coach alive who doesn't think they can coach 'em up and turn them into a contributor.

Reactions: Knish2019
A D1 offensive line coach wants the following in a recruit:

1. Size(an absolute)
2. great feet
3. a nasty attitude
4. a love of football

They don't give a darn what system they play in. If a kid has those four things then there isn't a OL coach alive who doesn't think they can coach 'em up and turn them into a contributor.

And sometimes its ONLY #1 and possibly #2. I'll guarantee everyone has seen that kid who wasn't the best in an area that gets a scholarship, while the better player gets a smaller offer or none at all.

And as for someone bringing up Wing blocking, I can think of a recent perfect example. An OL went to Riverheads, so very little passing, and not many plays. That young man then got a scholarship to Pittsburgh. And was recently picked up as a UDFA by the Saints I believe.

And as an example as being about measurables. The Edmunds boys from Dan River. SD played them both in the 1st round a few years ago in the playoffs. They were 3 seed to SD 14. SD beat them by A LOT. I could see talent, but they weren't the best players I seen that year or recently. Then both get taken in 1st round.

Some of the better HS players I have seen haven't been big recruits, while lesser players have been. Why? It certainly wasn't because of Game Film

Reactions: Knish2019
I respect the dissenting opinions - but as already stated - college coaches don't care what system a kid plays in and they don't care about watching film to see see a kid in "their system". Colleges hold one days to evaluate size, strength, athleticism, etc. to evaluate the tangibles. Film more than anything allows college to evaluate intangibles - is the kid nasty/finishing blocks, does he have a motor or does he take plays off when he gets tired, etc.

Just because a kid does a lot of pass pro in high school doesn't mean a thing - college is a whole new ball game - especially at the D1 level - that requires a whole new set of skills and time to learn.

I respect the dissenting opinions - but as already stated - college coaches don't care what system a kid plays in and they don't care about watching film to see see a kid in "their system". Colleges hold one days to evaluate size, strength, athleticism, etc. to evaluate the tangibles. Film more than anything allows college to evaluate intangibles - is the kid nasty/finishing blocks, does he have a motor or does he take plays off when he gets tired, etc.

Just because a kid does a lot of pass pro in high school doesn't mean a thing - college is a whole new ball game - especially at the D1 level - that requires a whole new set of skills and time to learn.

But if a kid is borderline,a coach is gonna look elsewhere if the kid has never had to pass block and would have to be completely taught from scratch.

Reactions: 19GHS87
But if a kid is borderline,a coach is gonna look elsewhere if the kid has never had to pass block and would have to be completely taught from scratch.

Teaching from scratch is sometimes easier if you have a coach able athlete, you don't have bad habits to break.
I would say that if you have a coach able athlete that has the size, feet, and demeanor; that a coach feels they can teach the rest.

College coaches don't care what system you play in - that will not affect a player's recruiting.
I think that is a debatable. I don't think a college will not recruit a kid because of the system that he's in but a kid may be playing out of position for his high school team which can hurt his recruitment. Not saying this is the case with this particular player but it's possible.

Reactions: 19GHS87
I think that is a debatable. I don't think a college will not recruit a kid because of the system that he's in but a kid may be playing out of position for his high school team which can hurt his recruitment. Not saying this is the case with this particular player but it's possible.

Yep, and more to the point, the player in discussion will likely be a defensive tackle recruit when it's all said and done. The discussion here has been offense of which he is also solid on the OL, but he has a very strong chance of being a defensive player at the next level. Also, the single wing offense is only run by about 10 teams in the United States as of a 2017 ESPN The Magazine article, so this is different. No question, measurables, commitment, size, and the rest are overwhelmingly powerful influences in a college offering a kid a scholly, but in this scenario, things are different. In a single wing offense, there is virtually 0 pass blocking. The passes occurring are deceptive and misdirection more than a straight drop back passing attempt, so colleges truly do have 0 film to go on in assessing a kids pass blocking skills with a single wing. When it's all said and done, the kid will be playing college football at the Div 1 level. The offers will be numerous and I think some may occur on the defensive side of the ball.

Stone bridge has had plenty of D1 recruits (lineman included) over the years running the single wing - even had a QB recruited by many of the best programs in the country and he went on to start at Stanford. None of the top programs seem to mind recruiting guys out of Stone bridge. The top wr in the ESPN class of 2020 Julian Fleming plays on a team that runs the wing-t. College coaches haven't needed to see him play in an air raid offense catching 12 balls a game to know he can play. The list goes on and on.

What will help in recruiting is the level of competition you are playing against - not style of offense. A kid transferring from one 2A school to another 2A isn't going to help him in recruiting - because even in a new style of offense it will be way different than what we will do in college. Going into pass pro 40 times a game against 5'10 185 lb defensive end (not knocking these - I love 'em) isn't going to convince a college coach to offer a kid because he knows that does nothing to translate to the next level. I would love to hear one example of a college coach saying, "Guy A is more talented than Guy B, but Guy B plays in a spread offense and goes into pro more often therefore he will help us more in the future than Guy A."

False statement.

Nope, not in the least. Ask any coach, and I've spoke to several! Just bc you're ignorant about it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

If it comes to two kids who are essentially identical with the same potential, the kid who has played in a system most similar to the college coach's system will get the nod

Reactions: Gunz41
Nope, not in the least. Ask any coach, and I've spoke to several! Just bc you're ignorant about it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

If it comes to two kids who are essentially identical with the same potential, the kid who has played in a system most similar to the college coach's system will get the nod

I'm not sure I'm the one who is ignorant on the topic but I don't mean any Ill will. Not trying to start an argument - just offering up some information. Through my experiences the issue of system has never once come up because the college game is so much different than high school. If kids do have the "same potential" as you stated (there are so many tangibles that colleges measure that I never seen two kids have the "same potential"), college coaches will use grades, behavior/attendance, etc. to evaluate kids and not the system they play in. I never once had a college coach tell me they evaluated a player to have the "same potential" as one of my guys but they were going with the other guy because my guy played in a gap scheme in high school and the other kid played in a zone blocking scheme and therefore could zone block better which fit their system better. I never once had a coach tell me that since my defensive tackle played a 3 tech in high school that they were not interested because they run an odd front. It just hasn't happened in my experience. I guess your experiences have been different.

Last edited:
Yep, and more to the point, the player in discussion will likely be a defensive tackle recruit when it's all said and done. The discussion here has been offense of which he is also solid on the OL, but he has a very strong chance of being a defensive player at the next level. Also, the single wing offense is only run by about 10 teams in the United States as of a 2017 ESPN The Magazine article, so this is different. No question, measurables, commitment, size, and the rest are overwhelmingly powerful influences in a college offering a kid a scholly, but in this scenario, things are different. In a single wing offense, there is virtually 0 pass blocking. The passes occurring are deceptive and misdirection more than a straight drop back passing attempt, so colleges truly do have 0 film to go on in assessing a kids pass blocking skills with a single wing. When it's all said and done, the kid will be playing college football at the Div 1 level. The offers will be numerous and I think some may occur on the defensive side of the ball.
Pardon my ignorance but I’m not as familiar with 2A football as I am with 4A. Who is the athlete that is being referenced?

I'm not sure I'm the one who is ignorant on the topic but I don't mean any Ill will. Not trying to start an argument - just offering up some information. Through my experiences the issue of system has never once come up because the college game is so much different than high school. If kids do have the "same potential" as you stated (there are so many tangibles that colleges measure that I never seen two kids have the "same potential"), college coaches will use grades, behavior/attendance, etc. to evaluate kids and not the system they play in. I never once had a college coach tell me they evaluated a player to have the "same potential" as one of my guys but they were going with the other guy because my guy played in a gap scheme in high school and the other kid played in a zone blocking scheme and therefore could zone block better which fit their system better. I never once had a coach tell me that since my defensive tackle played a 3 tech in high school that they were not interested because they run an odd front. It just hasn't happened in my experience. I guess your experiences have been different.

I think you may be taking what he is trying to say wrong. There probably aren't 2 identical players, but it's no huge secret that all schools have different guys that they recruit at different positions. And they have a set number for each.

They could very well have to prospects graded the same, in which they will use any number of different things to determine which one, which COULD include that

Reactions: BigWinners
I think you may be taking what he is trying to say wrong. There probably aren't 2 identical players, but it's no huge secret that all schools have different guys that they recruit at different positions. And they have a set number for each.

They could very well have to prospects graded the same, in which they will use any number of different things to determine which one, which COULD include that

I'm not trying to be combative - just throwing my 2 cents out there. I have never personally seen where a scheme a kid played in affected his recruiting. Coaches are very thorough in evaluating players before making an offer and take many factors into consideration. I just hate to think a kid would transfer schools because he thinks playing in a certain system is going to help his recruiting.

A kid going to a larger school to play against better competition or going to a school that has produced college talent over the years are definitely factors that impact recruiting. But kids playing in a certain scheme - don't believe that to be true because during my 26 years as a coach - I never one time saw it as any sort of determining factor in a college coach deciding whether or not to offer a kid. But I guess because I didn't experience it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Thanks, you explained it better than I did

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT