ADVERTISEMENT

Gilliam Ratings

Brewski66

Gold Member
Feb 27, 2014
I know that you put a lot of hard work into your computer simulations and I know that you are always striving to get the best predictions. What I do not understand is Pulaski County's ratings? In the over all ratings Pulaski is rated 90 but Patrick Henry(3-3) is 84 and Northside (4-2) is 71. Pulaski beat both Northside and Patrick Henry.

How does a team that is undefeated rank below two teams that they beat?? Does margin of victory have a big impact? I know that they were heavy favorites for two of the teams but the coach pulled the starter early in both of those games and did not run up the score.

It is also strange Lord Botetourt(94) losses to Northside (83) and goes from 94 to 74 a jump of 20 places. Pulaski(104) beats PH(66) and only goes up 13 spots???

I am not trying to complain just trying to understand the logic behind the numbers??

The computer looks at everyone's entire body of work. It is impossible for any system to rank every team over every team they beat. Simply because of A beat B, B beat C, C beat A scenarios. My computer gives team's bonuses for beating teams, but more or less, if you play a team ranked well ahead of you then you need to beat them soundly to convince the computer it was most likely because you were the better team and not because of statistical noise (you got the breaks in that game and weren't really the better team).

So here is how Pulaski County got to where they are now:

Pulaski County started the season with a 58.09 rating. They played Northside who was rated 80.06. Pulaski County pulled off an upset 22-20. This kind of victory (2 points) is not the kind of victory that convinces the computer that the better team clearly won this game (2 point victories usually only go to the better team something like 54% of the time). Nevertheless it did convince the computer to move Pulaski County up to 66.13 and Northside down to 72.02, figuring if they played again Northside would only be a 6 point favorite. While this might distress some people, it's fine with me. If Pulaski is really better than Northside, I would say, the ratings would sort that out soon enough.

Pulaski(66.13) then faced Franklin (34.01). The computer expected a 32 point win out of Pulaski, but Pulaski only won by 23. This told the computer that maybe it overshot with Pulaski the week before. Time to adjust...Pulaski down to 63.49.

Next up on the schedule for PCHS (63.49) was Bassett who came in at 24.64. This was an obvious running clock blowout if the computer was right. PCHS by 39 points. Pulaski only took this on by 33. Not a bad win, by any means, but not enough against such a hapless foe to keep Pulaski's rating in tact. A slight drop to 61.94 was more in order.

Next up was Cave Spring (45.18). PCHS would be nearly a 17 point favorite in this one. Bingo! They win by 18, it's week 4 the computer starts settling in on ratings that work. It was a defensive battle, the computer gives a little bonus for that and treats this win more like a 21 point win. This means Pulaski moves up a little bit. They move back to 63.09.

Finally, they faced the dreaded PH. PH had a 74.20 rating. That meant PH was an 11 point favorite. Pulaski pulls off the nice upset for the second time this year by 7 points (the defensive bonus means it gets treated more like an 8 point win). Once again, it wasn't a convincing enough win for the computer to decide all previous data on the two teams was overwhelmed so it didn't throw Pulaski past PH, but it did move Pulaski up to 67.80 and pull PH down to 69.88. So it has decided the teams are about even.

As for Northside, they have played pretty consistently where the computer has predicted them since that first game so their rating hasn't moved much from the 72.02. If you watch the ratings closely, once we get to week five or so team's ratings tend not to move too much. It's just hard to do what it takes to move them. However, you can play with the ratings calculator and see what you'd have to do to get to a certain level.

Next up for Pulaski, for instance, is Christiansburg. Christiansburg has a 50.96 rating. Pulaski has 67.80. To make a long story short, Pulaski is favored by 17 and needs to win by at least that much to keep their rating.

If Pulaski would like to get that rating to 70 they would need to win by 27 points (a little less if it were a low scoring game). To get to 80 the work gets kind of crazy, the Cougars would need an 82 point win (you don't usually move up as much by winning one game big as you do by consistently "beating the spread").

Of course pounding a team ranked considerably higher than you is the fastest way to shoot up in the ratings. It's harder to move up against a bad team because the expectation for your team is so high. L.C. Bird can't move up against George Wythe in their next game unless the Skyhawks win by more than 104 points.

So, does a coach refusing to run up the score end up hurting his rating? Yes, a little bit, but if a team finds themselves underrated, the next time they play they should make that up because the bar will be set too low for them.

The short answer to your question is this....The computer is saying that if Pulaski were to play Northside or PH again it still thinks Pulaski is more likely to lose either game than win. However, the margins in either case are very small and the computer would not make those calls with a high degree of confidence at all.

Please be aware that the algorithm I use is designed to make predictions about future games, not to reward teams for past games. Margin of victory and strength of opponents are very important. I have algorithms that I would use to determine who deserves better seeds in the playoffs and things like that and in those algorithms I'm sure Pulaski is far ahead of either Northside or PH.

I hope you'll keep an eye on the ratings to see if things end up about where you think they should be (they're never going to satisfy everyone). Just bear in mind this fairly simple rule. Outperform the spread and you'll move up, underperform and you'll move down (There are some tiny exceptions to this--defensive battles end up adding a bit to the margin of victory before making the adjustments, and if you're favored by more than 40, then the computer will let you hold your ranking if you win by enough, so that a team like Bird doesn't have to win by 102 to keep the computer satisfied -- just by 71).

So what you get from the computer is a compromise. Pulaski tends to play better against good teams and worse against bad teams (against the spread anyway), so when the computer is trying to average out how Pulaski does overall when it assigned the team one number, that number probably under represents how they play against the powers and over represents how they play agains the poor teams. It'll be interesting to watch them the rest of the year and see if this is real pattern or just a bit of an early season statistical quirk.

P.S. I hope you win them all and that my computer has them way under ranked right now. It probably seems weird to most people, but the season is a lot more fun when the computer is wrong, and I don't really have any pride about being right or wrong on a particular game. I pretty much know what percent I'll get right in each week and what my standard amount I'll miss a prediction by will be. Some years there's just a team or two that always seems to make me look bad. Right now Pulaski County is one of those schools.

By the way, a rule of thumb I use is that if you upset a team you should not expect to pass them in the rankings unless you beat them by more than they were favored to beat you. This changes slightly as the year progresses, but it is a good rule of thumb.

Gilliam,

Thank you for that great explanation. I knew that there had to be a logical explanation. I really can not fault you logic except it starts out of last years results. It seems like it is hard to move from where you start unless consistently win by large margins. I would agree with you that Pulaski has somewhat played to the level of the competition and not blown out teams that they could of. Of course the computer only goes by the numbers and does not watch the games to see who is the better team.

Keep up the good work!!

I start out with last year's ratings simply because I have always found that gave me more accurate results overall. A team that's real good will quickly advance away from the previous year's numbers.

True, that numbers don't always tell the whole story but, over time they always prove why Vegas still exists. they are based on two simple philosophy's. You only have to win most of the time to make money and there's a sucker born every minute.

Also, the more data you get, the more accurate you are on predicting future performance. If Gilliam would care to share, how good are your predictions at the end of the season compared to the start? I would guess you're better than 50 - 60% at the beginning of the season and up over 80 at the end.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT