ADVERTISEMENT

GIRLS FINAL: Monacan (60) King's Fork (59) - FINAL

It is in the rules (NFHS rule 5-2-5) that you can't catch and shoot with 0.3 seconds or less on the clock. Sometimes you can get the shot off before the buzzer because of the reaction time of the timekeeper, but that's why the rule is there in the first place.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Here's a link to the article that had the video. I saw it last night at home but I can't open the video link this morning on my work-computer....probably a filter block or something. Hopefully you can open it. To me it looked like as soon as the girl caught/touched the ball she immediately pushed/shot it to the hoop.
http://pilotonline.com/sports/high-...cle_63dc4813-bd12-5d2a-a9e1-a66108863591.html

I couldn't get it to open correctly, either. I guess we need to subscribe to the Virginia Pilot. If I could get my hands on Bleeding Navy's credit card number, I would covertly get us all subscriptions just so we could watch a :30 video. That would deserve him right.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntGZee
Technically you cannot get off that sort of shot with only .3 seconds. It has to be a tip only. The clock operator started it late which is what always happens. The real controversy is whether or not more time should have been put on the clock and whether or not a foul should have been called.

You know the ref doesn't want to make that call. If it would have been more time on the clock Monacan would have played a different defense so who knows.

KF could have won that game. They were peaking at the right time and they were on fire. Monacan peeked earlier in the season over the x-mas break. We were almost crying for a loss. It would have been good for us to lose one game somewhere this season. We were 59-1 in the last 2 years. It had been probably 6 weeks since I saw them play really good ball like they are capable of playing. The pressure was mounting. We stopped hitting from the outside with proficiency. I hope that this game doesn't hurt our legacy bc of how close it was. Overall I think the best team won the game. We beat them 3x the last 2 years.

Also, a lot of attention was made about the amount of free throws Megan Walker had. She missed 9 or 10 free throws so it actually may have been an advantage for KF. The ticky tack foul calls hurt Monacan more than it helped them. Any "press team" is hurt by that. If they would have not been calling ticky tack Meg might have scored even more. Did Mon get the benefit of the doubt on some calls? Yes they did. But it is not a conspiracy, it is earned based off the past 4 years of superlative basketball.

KF has several elite ball players in their own right. They played incredible. Made every free throw. Had to at least shoot 50% from 3 etc. They had the game in hand. You can say what you want but they did squander an 11-12 point lead in the forth quarter. They had it. It just wasn't meant to be. I saw the presser after the game and KF and their coaches were all class after a super close debatable ending. What an amazing group of ladies and their coach. They pointed out some things they thought hurt them and didn't bounce their way but were still all class. For them to have that sort of restraint after such heartbreak is amazing. KF as an athletic program and community has won me over and I will pull for them when I can moving forward.

Took the loss with grace and class? Sounds a lot like a football team that took a heartbreaking loss a couple of years ago! What goes around, comes around. Sometimes for good things, too.

And no, the close win does not taint the accomplishments of those girls one bit.

By rule you can't catch and shoot .3 or less. 5-2-5 . . . When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths (. 3) of a second or less remains on the clock, a player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal. In this situation only a tap could score.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
By rule you can't catch and shoot .3 or less. 5-2-5 . . . When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths (. 3) of a second or less remains on the clock, a player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal. In this situation only a tap could score.
Welcome aboard Hoops 87. Glad to have you join us.

I couldn't get it to open correctly, either. I guess we need to subscribe to the Virginia Pilot. If I could get my hands on Bleeding Navy's credit card number, I would covertly get us all subscriptions just so we could watch a :30 video. That would deserve him right.
I just went to that site on my cell phone and I was able to play the video

Mbonape1, that was a great post. Truth indeed. The glaring fact that you mentioned was all the ticky tac foul calls. All those calls took Jaiden Morris out of the game early. She can put up 20+ with no problem. Monacan not having her on the court, took away from the game. IMO she is a top 5 player in the state. KF was a great team, they're easily a top 5 team in the state, not 4A but the state. KF is a top tier program. Great coach, great team. They did have the game in hand very late in the 4th Q. Then Hurricane Megan happened. One of the best games that I've seen in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT