ADVERTISEMENT

Glass band

wikki

VaPreps All State
Oct 21, 2001
There band played almost the entire game, especially when Amherst was on offense. Very annoying and disrespectful. I’ve never seen a band play that much, could hardly hear anything at times

Reactions: OCBoy
There band played almost the entire game, especially when Amherst was on offense. Very annoying and disrespectful. I’ve never seen a band play that much, could hardly hear anything at times
Nothing disrespectful about that. Go to the deep south, it happens all the time. It's the culture of High School football.

Part of the game! Let the kids play and make as much noise as possible. Imagine if VT's band stop playing when the opponent had the ball.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
Part of the game! Let the kids play and make as much noise as possible. Imagine if VT's band stop playing when the opponent had the ball.

VT’s band stops playing when both VT and the opponent are about to snap the ball out of courtesy.

Noise reducing hearing protection is available at Northern Tools. One advantage to home field is the crowd noise. Which I think includes the bands.
Don’t need it smarty, just stating that most high school bands around here aren’t playing the entire game

VT’s band stops playing when both VT and the opponent are about to snap the ball out of courtesy.

No they don't! They don't play when we have the ball. They are part of the noise. They may not play a tune. They beat on the drums. That is one of the main reasons that the admin at VT put the opposing band at the top of the stadium.

Well you won’t have to worry about the band next week. GWs band is traveling to MetLife Stadium for a competition.
I love bands and Amherst took their band to Glass last night but they stopped as soon as game play started. Glass played continually more than any band I’ve ever seen. Heritage didn’t last week.

Um Louisa, Orange and spotsy do the same..

Not sure where you've seen Spotsylvania do this. I've seen them play three times this year and they may play four or five times during the entire game and I don't remember them playing anything during the third quarter.

In my opinion, bands in these areas don't nearly play as much anymore as they used to.

It's not out of courtesy, it's actually a NCAA rule that bands have to stop playing at the snap of the ball

That is incorrect. NCAA Rule 9-2-1-b-5 covers this, and it only says the band cannot create noise that prevents a team from hearing its signals. Unless the team complains, this rule isn’t enforced. So, a band could play continually if they wished to do so.

No they don't! They don't play when we have the ball. They are part of the noise. They may not play a tune. They beat on the drums. That is one of the main reasons that the admin at VT put the opposing band at the top of the stadium.

Not true. They play every time VT gets a first down. They play when both teams have the ball and stop before the snap. I’ve been to every home game for a number of years and sit near the band. I would know.

Last edited:
Salem's band plays when they are on offense. They can be having a huge third-and-one play where hearing the count is very important and the band is just blaring without a clue. It also doesn't help that those are often the same plays where fans stand up and decide to make noise. I have never been able to understand this.

Reactions: schoolboard
Salem's band plays when they are on offense. They can be having a huge third-and-one play where hearing the count is very important and the band is just blaring without a clue. It also doesn't help that those are often the same plays where fans stand up and decide to make noise. I have never been able to understand this.
I know fans do this is as well. One of our players in the JF game this year started waving his hands for the fans to be quiet so they could hear. Amherst fans usually start cheering when we are on defense for 3rd down but the players encourage it

Used to be a rule in HS, stopped being one a decade or more ago. Some teams do it, others don't. It's all, in the case of all but a couple bands, just poorly played noise anyway.

Never understood this either. The offense doesn't want to hear cheering ever.

I can't swear that it happens like this, but at Dinwiddie I think the band will not play during the opponent's offensive snap, unless the opponent's band does the same to us first. I honestly do know if this is a conscious, purposeful, reaction, or it just appears this way.

Shoot, Clarke's band doesn't even show up for the playoffs. Their band director says their season is over, so why should they be at the football playoffs? I wish they'd get rid of him.
Wow that is a bad attitude for a leader of a group of kids. Amherst takes their band to some of the away games and the fans love it

I'm pretty sure our band has been traveling to all games in recent years. We hit a lull in band participation a few years back. Mainly due to the type of poor leadership Clarkefan was talking about. And they had no desire to travel much back then.

Our band is certainly nothing compared to the big, "show bands" like Salem, but they do a nice job now.

The best thing is that the trend is for the band to be growing in size, and improving in quality.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
I find this post interesting, I know Appo band director and he got a warning in first home game from ref about when the band played.

In some of the competitive districts the bands travel to almost every game. I’m talking 200 member bands.

Did you hear this happen yourself or did someone else tell you it happened? If it's true, the referee was overstepping his authority. This authority solely lies with the site administrator.
Good because it is a rule. City Stadium being bigger might not be a big of an issue as a small stadium like Appomattox. I can see where that would definitely be a problem with the stands being almost of top of the field. Glass band should be warned because it was horrible. One time they never stopped at least through 3 snaps for Amherst

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT