ADVERTISEMENT

Goochland at East Rockingham

obguthr

VaPreps Honorable Mention
May 29, 2003
Staunton, VA
Any word on date/time and venue? VHSL still has it TBD. I hope it doesn't conflict with the Riverheads game. I would very much like to see both.

Lord Botetourt vs.Heritage-Lynchburg in 3A is another one I'm anxious to see.

Northside must have played lights out to beat Heritage the way they did. Heritage is a solid team and Northside just went crazy that game. What does that say about Lord Botty? I'm not sure, but that should be a great game.

The game is at 1:00 PM on Saturday.

When you get to this semi-final stage, I think the VHSL insists that everybody play on "Saturday afternoon." So there might be some 1:00-2:00 variations here and there but for the most part, all you can do is pick one game to go to and try to keep up with the rest of them through tweets, radio, etc.

Northside must have played lights out to beat Heritage the way they did. Heritage is a solid team and Northside just went crazy that game. What does that say about Lord Botty? I'm not sure, but that should be a great game.
I believe it was the first game Heebee Jeebees for Heritage the way NS them out.. LB has been pretty dang solid lately so they should give Heritage all they can handle..... Maybe not

I believe it was the first game Heebee Jeebees for Heritage the way NS them out.. LB has been pretty dang solid lately so they should give Heritage all they can handle..... Maybe not

I think its a game as to whether Heritage can give Botty all they can handle. LB has been playing at a wickedly high level and I think they beat Heritage by 10 pts. Their run game is so solid and they limit possessions of the other team. I also think L. Botty wins the state championship.

Reactions: HolyFrog
I think its a game as to whether Heritage can give Botty all they can handle. LB has been playing at a wickedly high level and I think they beat Heritage by 10 pts. Their run game is so solid and they limit possessions of the other team. I also think L. Botty wins the state championship.
As well as LB has played over the years, I don't think they've ever won it all. I hope this is their year.

Reactions: HolyFrog
Goodness gracious, for 2 undefeated teams, this game isnt getting much talk at all. There has been more messages about LB and Heritage in the Goochland/ER thread than about the Bulldogs or Eagles

Reactions: G-DOG2
I had these two teams advancing to play each other in my bracket.

I think ER has a little too much offense for Goochland.

Reactions: obguthr
I had these two teams advancing to play each other in my bracket.

I think ER has a little too much offense for Goochland.

I thought that Essex had way too much offense for Goochland as well back in the 2012 state championship.

Boy, was I wrong on that outcome...lol.

While that game was 6 years ago (there might be some similarities there but have not followed 2A closely).

Much respect to Goochland. Very, very smooth transition from the coaching standpoint. Well done.

Go Dogs.

Reactions: G-DOG2
For eastrock to beat Riverheads 28-0 and my opinion is this is one of Riverheads better all around teams we’ve had says to me they are pretty stout

Haven't seen either play, but I've seen both Goochland state title teams from the past 12-13 yrs. Each year, a similar type vibe to this year with them. They run the ball, are very athletic and play defense, and that creates problems for anyone they face. I know Goochland has always had very good athletes and they don't quite get as much prowess with their athleticism because they run it so much, but the approximate 4 times I've seen them in the last 15 yrs, they were very athletic. I don't know who wins with Goochland and East Rock because I haven't seen them this year, but I've seen to many times over the years where Goochland wins a game like this when they were seemingly an underdog.

It seems obvious that East Rock has some skill players with speed (they beat Riverheads with that it sounds like to me which is why I thought Northumberland had one of the only teams with a small shot to defeat Riverheads in 1A. (NHS had the great passing and some athletes to maybe beat them, maybe.)

For this game East Rock v Goochland

(lets give East Rock the better skill players and speed)

1) Which team has the best coaching?
2) Which team has a history of winning?
3) Which team has the best defense?
4) Which team has the best discipline?
5) Which team will benefit from the rain? ( I can't believe so many people think rain impacts both teams equally, cool with me)

5) Which team will benefit from the rain? ( I can't believe so many people think rain impacts both teams equally, cool with me)

1. Going with Goochland strictly off of history
2. Goochland, but East Rock is a new school. The amount of state titles they’ve won or competed in in their brief history is amazing
3. East Rock
4. Probably Goochland
5. It has literally rained the entire season it feels like so I think that’s a wash

Rain helps the weaker of the two teams in most cases brings the two teams closer together if teams are equal then its a wash unless a team solely relays on a passing game then they are at disadvantage but a good defense travels in all weather

Rain helps the weaker of the two teams in most cases brings the two teams closer together if teams are equal then its a wash unless a team solely relays on a passing game then they are at disadvantage but a good defense travels in all weather

100% true.

Just looking at what you guys have been saying all year about east rock , I might would have to say they may be a nightmare for anyone left , my pick to win it all .

I would love to think we are the nightmare for anyone left. We can certainly win our game tomorrow, but in all honesty after seeing them in person last Saturday, the nightmare is the team from the far west. Having seen Glenvar, Appo, and Gretna, Graham is a good 2 touchdowns better then all 3 of them. Other then Bluefield, WV, Radford will be by far the best D Graham has played. For Radford, the Graham offense is by far the best offense we will have faced. My concern is.....I was equally impressed with Graham's defense

Last edited:
I like to see eastrock win this game haven’t seen Goochland play the insight I have is Amelia came to the jamboree at Riverheads and that scrimmage wasn’t close so how much trouble did Goochland have with Amelia? I know scrimmages aren’t the best barometer as all teams get better and everyone doesn’t show everything.

I like to see eastrock win this game haven’t seen Goochland play the insight I have is Amelia came to the jamboree at Riverheads and that scrimmage wasn’t close so how much trouble did Goochland have with Amelia? I know scrimmages aren’t the best barometer as all teams get better and everyone doesn’t show everything.

17-12 Goochland

Not to say that its swings it in ER favor, but isnt the coach at Goochland new this year? I could be wrong
He's new as far as being the head coach, but was an assistant there before.

Not sure how much of the staff is the same but I spoke to some of them in 2016 when they were at the Riverheads/Draft game. Great group, genuine and personable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT