ADVERTISEMENT

Good article on Robert Casto & Riverheads

Thanks for posting. I was looking for some good material on coach Casto. Riverhead has an amazing program so I as was betting they have a pretty good conductor at the front of the train.

Today's paper (Thursday) is going to have an article on Galax, which I am sure is designed to educate the Riverheads fans on them, since the teams have never played and know very little about one another. Their running back has some awesome statistics!

Today's paper (Thursday) is going to have an article on Galax, which I am sure is designed to educate the Riverheads fans on them, since the teams have never played and know very little about one another. Their running back has some awesome statistics!
Here's what I can tell you. Our head coach has only 5 or 6 seasons as a head coach of a football team. Before his arrival Galax had never seen a third round playoff game. His second year of coaching he led Galax to a 14-1 season losing only the state championship. Interesting enough in his first year coaching he led the team to a quarter final against east Montgomery. After leading at half Galax fell behind. East mont. went on the championship to be anhiliated by non other than Riverheads.
As for our running back/s. Galax has had 3 power backs that broke into the top 5 for vhsl single season rushing records. Steven peoples-now plays fb at tech also broke a single game record in HS with a single game rushing record of 500 something yards. Joseph Dixon re set the school record for rushing. with in one game of the single season rushing record when the season was ended by haysi in 2014. Now there is Charles Harris-Harris is on par to break the single season record in the championship game.
From, what i can tell Riverheads is smash mouth team that is fundamentally sound. In the end it is going to be all about being able to adjust on the fly.\

Last edited:
Their are two programs I've admired from afar for years. One being Casto and Riverheads and the other being Giles, first when Ragsdale was there and now with Williams. I'm a big fan of both the wing t and even more so the single wing. They are great systems and I've seen them help more than one team be competitive and have success where they may not have had it if they ran what everyone else does

Charles Harris of Galax is an outstanding runner. Essex for the most part held him in check. He finished with 137 yards on 27 carries with the bulk of that coming on a 54 yard run early in the 2nd. Peoples added 81 yards. The player who really impressed me was #44 Sperlin. On defense it seemed like he was in on every tackle. Also a great blocking fullback on offense and he has some receptions on the year as well although he didn't have any last week. Essex actually had about 80 more yards total offense but inopportune penalties and key plays by Galax were the difference. I expect a very physical game on Saturday between the 2 teams. Probably will be over in 2 hours or less with all the running. Lol. My prediction is 20-14 Riverheads.

Charles Harris of Galax is an outstanding runner. Essex for the most part held him in check. He finished with 137 yards on 27 carries with the bulk of that coming on a 54 yard run early in the 2nd. Peoples added 81 yards. The player who really impressed me was #44 Sperlin. On defense it seemed like he was in on every tackle. Also a great blocking fullback on offense and he has some receptions on the year as well although he didn't have any last week. Essex actually had about 80 more yards total offense but inopportune penalties and key plays by Galax were the difference. I expect a very physical game on Saturday between the 2 teams. Probably will be over in 2 hours or less with all the running. Lol. My prediction is 20-14 Riverheads.
Rumor has it Harris wasnt 100% at essex. I hope for Galax to come out on top but,I know riverheads on heck of a team. I think it will be about who watched their film and is ready for anything. If Galax wins it wont be by much but, Its in river-heads hands in my opinion. Riverheads will have to make some mistakes and Galax will need to capitalize if they are to have win.

I do know Harris hurt his ankle in the previous game against Burton. Don't know for sure if he was at full strength last week or not. He didn't show any signs last week but we all know ankle injuries can linger. I look for a chess match for sure this week between the two coaches. Whichever team limits turnovers and penalties will definitely be in good shape to pull out the victory

Harris set out a couple series against Essex. He needs over 200 yds to break the record, I don't see that happening against RH, but you never know. Should be a hell of dogfight with 2 power running teams. The winner will probably be the one who can execute a play that they don't run often and catch the other team off guard.

Rugby:

Thanks for your insight but I would have to disagree on one word choice you used. Riverheads certainly did not "annihilate" Eastern Montgomery in that championship game you mentioned. That was an intense game from start to finish and nobody knew until the final horn how it was going to turn out.

Rugby:

Thanks for your insight but I would have to disagree on one word choice you used. Riverheads certainly did not "annihilate" Eastern Montgomery in that championship game you mentioned. That was an intense game from start to finish and nobody knew until the final horn how it was going to turn out.

Sorry, I didn't know. I was going by just the final score of that game. I didn't remember much more than that. It was a high scoring game I do know that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT