ADVERTISEMENT

Graham goes to 4-0...

May 29, 2001
Mantraville
The Gs used a big fourth quarter run, 23-6, to send Fort Chiswell to their first loss of the season 62-46 on Tuesday and followed that up with a 72-26 win over Bland Co. last night.

Next up: @ Bluefield, 12/28

The Gmen are gonna be tough to handle come post season. Wouldn't be a bit suprised to see them beat Richlands in both their matchups in the regular season.

Last edited:
Reactions: AntGZee
The game vs. Bluefield will show where they are at this point in the season. Bluefield is 5-0 so far this season and this is their best team in several years. The transfer of Cody Fuller from Richlands to Bluefield has been a big bonus for Bluefield. It might just be that little extra that puts them back in Charleston in March.

The Gmen are gonna be tough to handle come post season. Wouldn't be a bit suprised to see them beat Richlands in both their matchups in the regular season.

I wasn't too impressed with Richlands when I was able to catch one of their games. Graham better hope they beat them, if not, Graham doesn't have much imo.

Who did you get to see Richlands play? I've not seen them play yet this year.....I was just thinking they would be a solid team based off of what they had back and how far they made it last year.

I scouted them play Sullivan South (TN). They didn't have Lowe or Howie, due to playing in the VHSCA all star football game. I later found out that Lowe and Howie quit once they returned from the all star game, so the team I watched play Sullivan South is their complete team now.

With that being said, Richlands is going to live and die by the three point shot. Phillips (coach's son) led the way with about 29 points that night. The Ball kid is an athlete, and was their only force down low. They're not a very fast team, speed wise. They take their time and select smart shots (usually from deep but open). Once they meet a team who will put some pressure on them with a hand in their face they will struggle. They were able to create a lot of turnovers in the Virginia High tournament, but the teams they played are very sub-par teams. The nights their 3's aren't falling is the nights they lose. Which is why I say good teams like Gate City, Graham, and Martinsville could defeat Richlands by double digits. Though Graham hasn't played much of anybody themselves but at least they are murdering opponents they should and not letting them back into games in the 3rd qtr.

Last edited:
That's essentially what Richlands did last year at GC. They hit a bunch of shots and it was a game the first half. One player, can't remember if it was Ball or Phillips, had success on the dribble drive against GC but that was pretty much it. When their 3 pt shots quit falling GC started to stretch out a lead.

Not having Lowe is a big hit to Richlands. He's very tough in the paint and rebounds the ball well. Not sure about Howie's basketball skills, but he's very athletic so I'm sure not having him will hurt the team as well. Will definitely be interesting to see how it plays out.

I definitely think Graham hands them one loss, if not two, in the regular season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT