ADVERTISEMENT

Graham vs Goochland

[QUOTE="SWVAgridiron, post: 337423, member: 16981"
Graham’s performance was the best I’ve seen from any team this season and I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to watch a lot of football this year.
I hinted that on this board before we played em as I got to see Graham against Richlands the week before. I didn't want to say we didn't have a chance, but I knew we really didn't have a chance unless Graham turned it over frequently and we played perfect. There was a post about E. Rock being the beast that nobody wanted to face, and I kind of kept quite because Radford had not played Graham yet, but I hinted the beast was one in the far west of which few in central VA and in the Valley knew little about. People see the Graham regular season record of 9-1 and don't understand the caliber of team that loss came to in Bluefield, WV. Goochland can beat Graham, but if Graham doesn't turn it over more than 2 times, it's going to be a tall task. Graham is huge up front, explosive running or passing and their defense is absolutely nasty. They are the complete package, but then again, so is Goochland .

[QUOTE="SWVAgridiron, post: 337423, member: 16981"
Graham’s performance was the best I’ve seen from any team this season and I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to watch a lot of football this year.

Truly, the current Graham team is leaps and bounds better than the one that lost to Bluefield in week 1. Their improvement especially since about mid-season has been total turnaround. I've been to every game, and the defense has made improvement like I've never seen. I think a lot of things factored into and I hope they come out Saturday ready to stand their ground against probably the best team they've faced besides Bluefield.

Not that it is wrong, but this turnaround midseason seems to have happened with the 2 transfers (I think it was 2). With the original team, what is you guys opinion on whether Graham would be playing Saturday?

Not that it is wrong, but this turnaround midseason seems to have happened with the 2 transfers (I think it was 2). With the original team, what is you guys opinion on whether Graham would be playing Saturday?

One transfer. Edward's kid from Princeton transferred mid season. Mason Raley was cleared to play around the same time. He had off season shoulder surgery. To me the biggest difference between Graham at the beginning of the season and the Graham team now is discipline. Different attitudes and much better focus. Rex Bradshaw and D. Palmer constantly made changes to the defense personnel to get it where it's at now. Some coaches refuse to make changes to personnel. Give credit where credit is due they adjusted until they got it right.

DsDrXTrX4AErbeq.jpg

Tickets for the state title @GHSFootball game will be on sale all this week at GHS.
You can also purchase them online line at https://gofan.co/app/school/VHSL
Gametime is 4:30 pm.

One transfer. Edward's kid from Princeton transferred mid season. Mason Raley was cleared to play around the same time. He had off season shoulder surgery. To me the biggest difference between Graham at the beginning of the season and the Graham team now is discipline. Different attitudes and much better focus. Rex Bradshaw and D. Palmer constantly made changes to the defense personnel to get it where it's at now. Some coaches refuse to make changes to personnel. Give credit where credit is due they adjusted until they got it right.

Thanks for the info. It sounded like one of those 2 (maybe both) had really improved the team, so didn't know if they had made it championship game better or not. I do know early in season 19ghs87 said he was about done with the team, or something like that

Reactions: obguthr
Thanks for the info. It sounded like one of those 2 (maybe both) had really improved the team, so didn't know if they had made it championship game better or not. I do know early in season 19ghs87 said he was about done with the team, or something like that
Both of them have helped tremendously. Raley plays on D line and Edward's plays linebacker. Raley is a handful to block and he gives 100% every play. Edwards has definitely made his presence felt. He and Kastner at the LB position are a tough duo.
I guess to answer your question directly. Yes, they are a big part of why Graham has improved. The addition of Edwards allowed them to put a kid that was at LB down on the D line. Not saying he wasn't a good LB he's just better down.

Cam learning to stay in the pocket a second longer has helped as well. Overall they have just improved from week to week. Good job to the kids and coaching staff for those improvements.

Both of them have helped tremendously. Raley plays on D line and Edward's plays linebacker. Raley is a handful to block and he gives 100% every play. Edwards has definitely made his presence felt. He and Kastner at the LB position are a tough duo.
I guess to answer your question directly. Yes, they are a big part of why Graham has improved. The addition of Edwards allowed them to put a kid that was at LB down on the D line. Not saying he wasn't a good LB he's just better down.

Cam learning to stay in the pocket a second longer has helped as well. Overall they have just improved from week to week. Good job to the kids and coaching staff for those improvements.

Hopefully for fans of both of these teams it's a great game, with whomever you go for coming out on top.

Reactions: VaTech98

I was frustrated with the mouthing off by some of the players, the personal fouls, the unsportsmanlike penalties, the show-boating, missed assignments on defense. It was frustrating to watch. I couldn't watch it, as a life long Graham fan, it was disappointing. Tazewell ran up and down the field on Graham in week 2. Graham couldn't stop Giles from moving up and down the field in week 3. They could not contain the edge at all, missed tackles all over the place. I was ready to give up and go watch Bluefield play each week. I gave them another chance and there was a dramatic change when I watched them play in the 2nd half against Princeton. The following week Edwards and Raley were playing and I could see marked improvement, coaches were moving people around on D seemingly every game. In the first Richlands game, I think they showed their potential and they played a nearly flawless game (that same team showed up against Radford, too). I have to credit the coaches for doing an amazing job with these kids and putting kids in spots where they can be successful and for getting them focused on achieving their goals. I was really about to quit watching this year, not sure if I could have went through with it or not, but I was frustrated for sure. Proud of the way this team has turned it around.
Good luck on saturday G-men!! You all have worked extremely hard this year for this. Go get it!!

As for the transfer, Edwards. He has impressed me very much from the moment he joined the team. He didn't play against Princeton, he had just moved to Bluefield, VA. He came out with the team carrying the Graham flag and was encouraging his team-mates from the sideline from the get go. He is very vocal in a positive way and his attitude is infectious. He's one heck of a football player, too. Raley is just an ideal player to have on your team. He works hard, is a little under-sized for a lineman, but is as strong as an ox. His presence immediately improved the D-line and having those 2 allowed the coaches to make some good defensive changes. Let's face it, schools this size don't have a lot of depth and 1 or 2 players can make a huge difference.

Last edited:

#this

Tony Palmer even commented in the interview with Brady Hess of SWVA Sports Podcast that Rex Bradshaw & Dennis Palmer have worked hard on defense together. Brady even commented D. Palmer was a mastermind at defense and bringing him on made a big difference. Richlands loss was certainly Graham's gain. It's like a perfect storm, several things coming together at the right time, coaches, kids stepping up, much improved discipline as season progressed, addition of Raley & Edwards, Cam staying in pocket more not trying to force plays, making adjustments, working as a unit not individuals...Tony is a great leader and it shows in his coaches and players.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaTech98
Listen to Graham head coach Tony Palmer talk to the SWVA Sports Podcast about the 2018 season and the upcoming state championship game vs. Goochland

Palmers interview starts at the 40:07 mark

http://coalfieldsports.com/2018/12/...grahams-tony-palmer-chilhowies-jeff-robinson/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/swva-sports-podcast/id1413644315?mt=2#episodeGuid=http://coalfieldsports.tk/podcast/?name=2018-12-06_episode_45.mp3

I didn't care the Ryan's and Coach Duble's pick of Goochland over Graham. Great interview with Coach Tony Palmer.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Wondering if this game will come down to special teams. Just got finished rewatching the Richlands vs Appo title in 2016. Richlands special teams killed them. Richlands first punt is blocked leaving Appo possession at Richlands 30 to 35 yd line and they punch it in. Richlands scores with about 2 minutes to go in half making it 14-7 Appo. Appo returns kickoff for touchdown that was fumbled around for a couple seconds. Richlands goes 3 and out with 26 seconds left. Bad snap to the left and punter is tackled at 2 yd line then Appo punches it in making it 28-7 at half. Those were huge plays that accounted for 3 tds. That game may have been much closer if not for the play of special teams from both teams. Outcome probably wouldnt have changed cuz Appo was just better that year. Just goes to show u how important every special teams play is. Hoping to come up and watch both games tomorrow.

Is Riverheads or Chilhowie home in the D1 game.? Graham is bringing a lot of fans. If Chilhowie and Graham are on the same side. The away side will be packed.

Ill be at heritage game then run to salem for the goochland game. Reckon i will have to buy 3 tickets each time lol

Good Luck G-Men. "Finish"!!

It's Coach Carlock's birthday today in Heaven, added incentive.

Last edited:
Reactions: moto138
Good Luck G-Men. "Finish"!!

It's Coach Carlock's birthday today in Heaven, added incentive.

Wow! Didn't know that GHS87, a great coach and a great man. Coach Carlock was responsible for me having some tough losses to the G-Men while I was a Bobcat. Coach Lineburg always spoke highly of Coach Carlock. I wish Graham all the best here in a few minutes. GMen, win another for the West!

Graham up 17-3 at the half. Could be more but missed two FG
Kind of a sloppy game. Goochland has put the ball on the ground 3 times, bobbled it a couple of other times. Allen threw a pick. Numerous penalties. Physical game. A few injuries.

Yea tough spot for a freshman QB for Goochland.

But all credit to Graham - they're the better team today.

Congrats on a great year in Goochland for football
Good Luck next year in Region 3B !!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT