ADVERTISEMENT

Graham vs Goochland

Gunz41

VaPreps All Region
Sep 22, 2007
Stuarts Draft VA
Congratulations to both teams, as well as others who have made it deep this year.

I want everybody to think about something. At different times and different areas this year, we have seen a lot of teams talked about as being virtually unbeatable. Just the ones off the top of my head: Poquoson, East Rockingham, Central, Appomattox, Glenvar, Radford, now Graham. I can remember how many people at these times took offense to this, yet it kept happening, and now there are 2 left. So before going and saying Graham or Goochland are going to blow the other out, think about your thoughts when it was someone else being talked about in the same way, and you being upset about it. Notice the one team who hasn't been at ANY point in the season talked about as the favorite, unbeatable, etc. Yes, Goochland, the only team unbeaten in 2a.

I'm sure some of the teams who have gone out didn't play their best game, but going back and forth about "we wouldn't have lost to so and so, not gotten blown out, embarrassing to lose to them, etc" isnt giving credit to those who are important, the KIDS who worked hard to get where they were, and ALL these KIDS, whether 14-0 or 0-14 deserve to not be degraded because adults want to make their team sound better. Sure this is a message board for discussion, and anyone is free to have their own, but none of the ones on here are out on that field, so to criticize others makes it sound like sour grapes. Let's all show these kids and teams the respect they deserve please. God Bless

Who ya'll got?

Gotta go with Goochland. I coached some of these kids while I was coaching at the youth level when I used to live in Goochland. Nobody thought they'd win last week or this week and they've proved everyone wrong both times, and I'm sure nobody will pick them next week either.

After watching the G-men today. It’s hard to pick against them. I have seen Goochland in the title game several yrs ago. They were very physical that yr. I’m assuming that this team is similar to that one. Should be a great game.

Gotta go with Goochland. I coached some of these kids while I was coaching at the youth level when I used to live in Goochland. Nobody thought they'd win last week or this week and they've proved everyone wrong both times, and I'm sure nobody will pick them next week either.

Excuse me. I'm the ONLY one to pick Graham in the bracket challenge. cough, cough.

I'm talking about just through all of the posts, I didnt look at who picked who in the bracket challenge

I'm talking about just through all of the posts, I didnt look at who picked who in the bracket challenge

I think most folks have dismissed Region D entirely for most of the season on here. Graham has been playing great lately and getting some attention. Should be a good game. Goochland and Graham both deserve some respect at this point, yet I still see a lot of posters talking about how they could have done this and should have done that. Cream usually rises to the top and this year it's Graham and Goochland, good luck to both teams!!

I know zip about Goochland except everyone said East Rock was a lock for state champion and Bulldogs wouldn't win. With that said, congratulations to them and Graham. A team doesn't make it to the finals riding on a wing and a prayer. My wish is a good, fair, injury free game for both teams. Go G-Men!

Reactions: G-DOG2
I'm taking my JRD counterpart. Got family on that team and wish them the best.

Not to be a history buff but Goochland wins in 06, Goochland wins in 12, Goochland in 18? As much as I despise Goochland for the years of close calls with my knights wouldn’t it be fitting if their 3 titles were all 6 years apart? . Just a little humor and because I have nothing to do with my time but remember Virginia High school football results

Goochland is an elite program. Graham has been a historical program that seems to be back. I think the Goochland and Graham game is going to overtime. Flip a coin to decide the winner. It will be that close. If going by the wins playoffs, Goochland is equally as red hot as Graham having beat Poquoson and East Rock. I am not so sure Goochland isn't the favorite.

After watching the G-men today. It’s hard to pick against them. I have seen Goochland in the title game several yrs ago. They were very physical that yr. I’m assuming that this team is similar to that one. Should be a great game.

What has made Graham much better on offense is Cam Allen knowing when to stay in the pocket. Last season and even earlier this season he would roll out on most throws or look to run but he’s really hanging in there now. Of course we all know he can outrun anyone on the defense but his throws from the pocket lately have been on the money.

Goochland is an elite program. Graham has been a historical program that seems to be back. I think the Goochland and Graham game is going to overtime. Flip a coin to decide the winner. It will be that close. If going by the wins playoffs, Goochland is equally as red hot as Graham having beat Poquoson and East Rock. I am not so sure Goochland isn't the favorite.

With their recent history of success. I would say Goochland is the favorite. They are undefeated. Graham is a 3 seed and surely the under dog.

I agree Goochland is probably the favorite but I'm hoping Graham can score early and set pace of the game. They play in the finals like they did against Radford, it should be a close game and fans from both sides will be in for a treat seeing the two best in 2A battle it out.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Anybody know how Meadows is for Graham? Looked like he got his ankle rolled near the end of the game. We're going to need him. He has made a big difference on the O-Line since starting after week 3 or 4.

I agree Goochland is probably the favorite but I'm hoping Graham can score early and set pace of the game. They play in the finals like they did against Radford, it should be a close game and fans from both sides will be in for a treat seeing the two best in 2A battle it out.

If they play like they did against Radford, I like their chances to win. Goochland will try to dictate the pace of the game as well. Should be interesting to see how it goes. I think it will be a dog-fight if it's a slower paced game.

Anybody know how Meadows is for Graham? Looked like he got his ankle rolled near the end of the game. We're going to need him. He has made a big difference on the O-Line since starting after week 3 or 4.

He'll be good to go I believe.

If it's in the 30s, I favor Graham. Any lower, and Goochland likely wins.

Does Goochland have anyone fast enough to stay in front of Allen or Lester?
If Graham can hit their big plays and force a faster game, they're TOUGH to beat. But this year Graham is different because they can beat you if you try and grind it out and eat up clock. Union, who this year isn't nearly as good as last season, tried to chew clock and limit possessions.
But Graham is fast and physical on defense and can match a team physically and still rely on their exceptional skill and athleticism.
If you can't pressure Allen and get him off his spot, you're beat before the game starts. If you can force him into pressing, maybe he reverts to 2017 Allen and abandons the pocket too soon and tries to do it on his speed alone. I don't know if Goochland can do that, but as an undefeated team who beat the supposed favorite by two TDs, they must be considered favorites.

If it's in the 30s, I favor Graham. Any lower, and Goochland likely wins.

Does Goochland have anyone fast enough to stay in front of Allen or Lester?
If Graham can hit their big plays and force a faster game, they're TOUGH to beat. But this year Graham is different because they can beat you if you try and grind it out and eat up clock. Union, who this year isn't nearly as good as last season, tried to chew clock and limit possessions.
But Graham is fast and physical on defense and can match a team physically and still rely on their exceptional skill and athleticism.
If you can't pressure Allen and get him off his spot, you're beat before the game starts. If you can force him into pressing, maybe he reverts to 2017 Allen and abandons the pocket too soon and tries to do it on his speed alone. I don't know if Goochland can do that, but as an undefeated team who beat the supposed favorite by two TDs, they must be considered favorites.

Haven't seen Graham so cant answer if Goochland has anyone fast enough for that, but I am pretty sure without seeing Graham that ER has at least close to same amount of speed in some of those guys and they did a pretty good job at containing them.

Haven't seen Graham so cant answer if Goochland has anyone fast enough for that, but I am pretty sure without seeing Graham that ER has at least close to same amount of speed in some of those guys and they did a pretty good job at containing them.

If you haven't watched Graham, I wouldn't be so sure.
not saying Graham for sure wins or the game is even close, but just bc one team didn't have success doesn't mean another team can't.
Graham has great talent and skill but this year they've shown great play up front on defense with attacking LBs bc they know their secondary can cover anyone. Cam Allen is gonna be covering Rondale Moore in practice every day next year, it allows their defense to be very aggressive because the secondary is so tight.

If you haven't watched Graham, I wouldn't be so sure.
not saying Graham for sure wins or the game is even close, but just bc one team didn't have success doesn't mean another team can't.
Graham has great talent and skill but this year they've shown great play up front on defense with attacking LBs bc they know their secondary can cover anyone. Cam Allen is gonna be covering Rondale Moore in practice every day next year, it allows their defense to be very aggressive because the secondary is so tight.

I'm not saying that they cant win. I'm just saying Goochland dealt with ER speed and athleticism pretty well, I thought the question is if they could

I'm not saying that they cant win. I'm just saying Goochland dealt with ER speed and athleticism pretty well, I thought the question is if they could

Goochland looks pretty fast on defense, at least on film. Not sure anybody will have the speed of Cam Allen on the field, but as far as team speed, they have good team speed. Looks like the 2 teams match up very well. Should be a good one.

Its calling for a whole lot of snow this coming weekend like over a foot. So both these teams may get 2 weeks rest unless yall know something I don't. They gonna have a snow bowl and clear the field or move indoors somewhere ???

Ahhh...... The odds of VA seeing a foot of snow ever is rare and for it to be in early Dec would almost be a record.
I think it's Appomattox in 3 feet of snow by 2 touchdowns. LOL Dont we miss Appo 3/4/6

Reactions: moto138
I think Graham has better balance on offense than Goochland. If Goochland tries to milk clock, I hope they go 3 and out every possession. When teams try to milk clock in first quarter, I call that chicken------ football.

Goochland looks pretty fast on defense, at least on film. Not sure anybody will have the speed of Cam Allen on the field, but as far as team speed, they have good team speed. Looks like the 2 teams match up very well. Should be a good one.

According to a Graham assistant I went to UVA Wise with and still a good friend, the fastest kid on Grahams team is the WR Lester. Allen is a beast and I'm confident the 2A player of the year, but Goochland has to worry about much more than Allen. The RBs, WRs, O Line are all very good.

Graham has to worry about Goochlands well coached team that has been there an done that. Goochland is disciplined and they show up when they need to. Going to be a very close game. I'm interested in Goochlands O vs Grahams D. Goochlands O seems to have stepped it up after being held to 175 total yds against Poquoson. But, that's what Goochland does late in the playoffs, and they rise to the occasion. I watched them do it both times in 2006 and 2012. Both 1A and 2A games are going to be awesome to watch.

Goochland has several fast players, but not Cam Allen fast. East Rock's Evans is even faster than Allen though and the Gooch D kept him in check. I like Gooch's chances. After watching the video above, I'm shocked at the number of missed tackles by Radford. Some of that was just Allen breaking ankles, but not all of it.

Congrats to both of these teams. Both were underdogs on Saturday. Goochland knocked off a very good ER team that was predicted by many to take it all. Graham dominated a very good Radford team that I feel was the favorite after knocking off Goliath.

Graham’s performance was the best I’ve seen from any team this season and I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to watch a lot of football this year. I don’t know much about Goochland this season, but after watching them beat down my Spartans in the second half in 06, and upset a very good Essex team in 2012, they know how to rise to the occasion and they are very well coached.

Good luck to both schools. I’m hoping I get to watch a better game this weekend at Salem than last weekend. Gotta go with the G-Men by 7-10.

For first time in over 20 years, I haven't seen a playoff game this season, but I think I will go to this one.

Congrats to both of these teams. Both were underdogs on Saturday. Goochland knocked off a very good ER team that was predicted by many to take it all. Graham dominated a very good Radford team that I feel was the favorite after knocking off Goliath.

Graham’s performance was the best I’ve seen from any team this season and I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to watch a lot of football this year. I don’t know much about Goochland this season, but after watching them beat down my Spartans in the second half in 06, and upset a very good Essex team in 2012, they know how to rise to the occasion and they are very well coached.

Good luck to both schools. I’m hoping I get to watch a better game this weekend at Salem than last weekend. Gotta go with the G-Men by 7-10.
I will say Graham was not the underdog just because Radford knocked off "Goliath" Appo hasn't been Goliath since the 15 and 16 season. Yes they won it all last year but they had a few left from the 16 team like Javon Scruggs (BEAST) behind center and floating the field at Safety (D1 Now). This year Appo had none of the 15 varsity roster.... Appo is YOUNG now and I am very impressed them boys went 11-2 with a freshman QB etc...

Moving on, from what I seen on film, Graham looks STRONG, gotta go with G-Men. Dont know what Goochland has to offer but not gonna totally count them out because everywhere I read people had ER over Goochland...#WhoWantsItMore

APPO WILL BE BACK #PO1 #STRONGER

Last edited:
Reactions: moto138
I will say Graham was not the underdog just because Radford knocked off "Goliath" Appo hasn't been Goliath since the 15 and 16 season. Yes they won it all last year but they had a few left from the 16 team like Javon Scruggs (BEAST) behind center and floating the field at Safety (D1 Now). This year Appo had none of the 15 varsity roster.... Appo is YOUNG now and I am very impressed them boys went 11-2 with a freshman QB etc...

Moving on, from what I seen on film, Graham looks STRONG, gotta go with G-Men. Dont know what Goochland has to offer but not gonna totally count them out because everywhere I read people had ER over Goochland...#WhoWantsItMore

APPO WILL BE BACK #PO1 #STRONGER

Being the defending state champs three years in a row and not losing to a 2A school since 2014 made them Goliath. Even with having a young squad they were still the team to beat in 2A since no one had done it in over 1,000 days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT