ADVERTISEMENT

Gretna @ Appomattox predictions

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
JVs played last night, Gretna won 8-0. Boring game. Run up middle, run left, run right by both teams.

Appo is my choice (as it is with a lot of people) to go back and win their 2nd straight state championship and Gretna is not what they were, so Appo should win this game with out a lot of trouble.

Appomattox by 40. Gretna not what they are used to be. JV scores have very little relevance. Wet field shouldn't affect outcome either.

If Gretna can have some success throwing the ball, and play defense, they can be in game. If run ball 99% of time, I don't think so.

Funny how things change 2011 it rained 2 days Appo made us come in the rain 40 degrees oh well

If Gretna can have some success throwing the ball, and play defense, they can be in game. If run ball 99% of time, I don't think so.

Please answer this question for once HR6, just because I love the 100 posts every year about passing and spread, but how is it that a team like Riverheads (who you know I do not like) can win lots every year running ball 99% of the time? I know you don't like to watch it, and root against them and others because of it, but how do you explain that part? The answer is that they run what they run VERY good, and don't need to throw the ball to be successful. When the need arises, they can do it, but just dont very often. Same with lots of teams. You can't help if a team is better than you, but you can determine what you do and how you perform it. Some teams do well running ball all the time, some teams do well throwing the ball all the time, some teams do well being balanced. You try to install a spread at Riverheads, Buffalo Gap, Clarke County, Giles, etc and they wouldn't have the success they do

Please answer this question for once HR6, just because I love the 100 posts every year about passing and spread, but how is it that a team like Riverheads (who you know I do not like) can win lots every year running ball 99% of the time? I know you don't like to watch it, and root against them and others because of it, but how do you explain that part? The answer is that they run what they run VERY good, and don't need to throw the ball to be successful. When the need arises, they can do it, but just dont very often. Same with lots of teams. You can't help if a team is better than you, but you can determine what you do and how you perform it. Some teams do well running ball all the time, some teams do well throwing the ball all the time, some teams do well being balanced. You try to install a spread at Riverheads, Buffalo Gap, Clarke County, Giles, etc and they wouldn't have the success they do

Maybe he was being specific because Appo has the best front seven in 2A?

I know some teams run ball well.(Giles & Riverheads) Some throw it well. Some are balanced. In my opinion you have to be balanced to win state championships.................most years.

More games are lost because of refusal to pass the ball than any other reason, other than "bad defense".

Normally good teams can stop the run, thus the need to pass. If a team runs up middle "into a brick wall" play after play, it's evident it's time to go to the air. Get defense on their heels and softened up, then team can maybe have more success on the ground. When defense knows what you are going to do, it's easier to stop it.

Several times,in 2A, I have seen the best team in the state lose in playoffs,(usually in Semi-finals) because they would not throw the ball.

That's better than Monday, since Appomattox travels to Dan River next week. Hopefully someone will post scores on Virginiapreps. I not able to make it. Have to work Liberty University game.

I know some teams run ball well.(Giles & Riverheads) Some throw it well. Some are balanced. In my opinion you have to be balanced to win state championships.................most years.

More games are lost because of refusal to pass the ball than any other reason, other than "bad defense".

Normally good teams can stop the run, thus the need to pass. If a team runs up middle "into a brick wall" play after play, it's evident it's time to go to the air. Get defense on their heels and softened up, then team can maybe have more success on the ground. When defense knows what you are going to do, it's easier to stop it.

Several times,in 2A, I have seen the best team in the state lose in playoffs,(usually in Semi-finals) because they would not throw the ball.

Well thank you HR6. You finally said more than every team should run spread or throw ball all over place. Respect

the game is today at 7 PM

Its no secret, our JV is struggling, we had to pull up out QB to play a little D. They are 1-3, but every game has been close, losing withing 3-6 points.

Tonight I got out Varsity winning by at least 3 TDs.

I missed the whole game, I was in lynchburg with a flat tire, then Geico calls a tow truck from Bedford. he took 20 minutes to call me and say he was on the way, then he finally gets there after an hour. Took 40 minutes to hook car up and unhook at destination. Got him to drop me off at game, It was 7 minutes left in 4th. Reserves was in and a running clock. SMH, bad night for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT