ADVERTISEMENT

Gretna just got cheated.

open-chair-smile.gif

Someone make this make sense to me. Did the refs ride the bus with Glenvar to Gretna?
They were the Salem reffing crew. First time we ever had that crew at Gretna. Got in end zone twice at the end both called short. Biggest one was 3 and 2 from 5 and rb ran it to the one. Line judge blew whistle and was spotting on the one. Glenvar picked him up and carried him back to five and refs spotted it there and called it 4 and 2. Took onside kick away from Gretna in first half. The refs at kicker raised his hand lowered it nodded to the kicker and stepped behind them. They onside kick it and after recovering white hat all way back in end zone throws flag and says he hadn't given them the ok to kick the ball. Both times on last two plays reached ball across end zone and was called short. Anyone that thinks Salem teams don't bring their own refs has short memory of what they did to Amherst in Amherst for Salem just few years ago. Salem caught pass three yards out of bounds and ref called it a TD and they won. Then 13 showed all week how he was three yards out of bounds. On second down play at end our RB was flipped on his head five yards out of bounds and ref threw his flag. Once again same white hat came from other side of field to over rule him. After what I just witnessed I'm done with high school football. Been a good ride but not interested in adults decided who wins.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Great game by both teams. The Gretna QB is fantastic! Too bad one had to lose.

Some of these Gretna folks saw a different game than I did if they are complaining about the refs. Can't wait to see the video to confirm but I didn't see a touchdown on that last play.

Reactions: TS69 and lyhsports
They were the Salem reffing crew. First time we ever had that crew at Gretna. Got in end zone twice at the end both called short. Biggest one was 3 and 2 from 5 and rb ran it to the one. Line judge blew whistle and was spotting on the one. Glenvar picked him up and carried him back to five and refs spotted it there and called it 4 and 2. Took onside kick away from Gretna in first half. The refs at kicker raised his hand lowered it nodded to the kicker and stepped behind them. They onside kick it and after recovering white hat all way back in end zone throws flag and says he hadn't given them the ok to kick the ball. Both times on last two plays reached ball across end zone and was called short. Anyone that thinks Salem teams don't bring their own refs has short memory of what they did to Amherst in Amherst for Salem just few years ago. Salem caught pass three yards out of bounds and ref called it a TD and they won. Then 13 showed all week how he was three yards out of bounds. On second down play at end our RB was flipped on his head five yards out of bounds and ref threw his flag. Once again same white hat came from other side of field to over rule him. After what I just witnessed I'm done with high school football. Been a good ride but not interested in adults decided who wins.
I didnt see any reaching with the ball on the goal line ..ill have to go back and watch

What do refs have to gain by cheating? Sure they miss calls, sure you won’t agree with everything they do. Seriously though, most are there because they love the game and add money to their bank account.

First of all, after watching the onside kick, no ref gave the signal for play. They just rushed outta the huddle to try to sneak one in. The ref that spotted the ball didnt even get time to turn around to see wat even happened.
. definitely didnt see any reaching with the ball after watching multiple times. Looks like he was stopped short. First one after the measurement he lowered his shoulder. Obviously short, no reach. Last one was the tush push. Which looks like he was down initially and whistle should've been blown but he bounced it out and was tackled short with obviously no reach with the ball. Even gretnas players reactions show he was short. Bottom line, they just came up short

Agreed...Watched the replay of both plays multiple times including the body language of the players on the field.

First play was clearly not a TD but got it close.

Last bull rush money play, the player went straight forward and dove down toward the goal line. Somehow defied the law of physics (almost certain he had to be down to at least a knee) but somehow came back out to make a run around to the outside where he was spun around and forced down facing the other direction. There was no reach of the ball on either play that I could see. IMO neither play was a TD or even questionable.

Also not a single Gretna player on the field signaled TD or celebrated, while the Glenvar players celebrated immediately which also tells you the refs got it right.

Last edited:
Have things changed since I retired. It was always my understanding officials were from official conferences used by the schools, regions, or districts. Do officials really gain anything from influencing the outcome of games. Don’t think we’ve gotten to the point placing bets on games or coaches slipping officials bribes in brown paper bags. At least the coaches aren’t being criticized with their play calling, not throwing the ball 80-90% of the time, running the wrong run plays, or wrong players on the field. Regardless of the outcome, did the sunrise this morning.

It’s not going to end. There’s an ole saying, “Don’t point fingers because because there are fingers pointing back at you (the person pointing). As long as gripping about officials and officiating, the coaches, AD’s, and others aren’t being blamed.

Not at all. Lynchburg officials are bad as well but those Roanoke/Salem crews are very bad.

Of course. Just wanted clarification that you weren't saying Salem has a set of refs in its pockets, we get enough of that from the crazies. Bad reffing hits Salem, too. Santa Claus is a fan favorite.

Of course. Just wanted clarification that you weren't saying Salem has a set of refs in its pockets, we get enough of that from the crazies. Bad reffing hits Salem, too. Santa Claus is a fan favorite.
Have you ever been to a Danville or Martinsville area basketball game? Some of the worst refs you’ll ever see. Whoever’s the area’s hottest team is, is who gets the calls. That 2014 GW/Salem game will always taint my perception of Salem/Roanoke refs. The 2013 PH/GW basketball game in Roanoke was pretty wild too. I’ll post it below if I find it. Two great games, wasn’t decided by officiating but definitely some bias/home cooking along the way 😂

He worked the Radford game last night and was terrible!!!! I almost called him santa clause in a previous thread but didn't think that was fair to ol saint nick.

But honestly, its nice to hear he is bad from another set of fans. This kind of proves that these guys don't have favorites....they are just that bad and sometimes your team in on the wrong end of their incompetence.

My question is why did the local association not call the game to start with or we just assuming the refs were from Roanoke?

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
He worked the Radford game last night and was terrible!!!! I almost called him santa clause in a previous thread but didn't think that was fair to ol saint nick.

But honestly, its nice to hear he is bad from another set of fans. This kind of proves that these guys don't have favorites....they are just that bad and sometimes your team in on the wrong end of their incompetence.

The funny part is people think he just hates their team but once you talk to enough people you realize he doesn't hate anyone's team, that's just the way he calls games. No bias, he just loves to call holding four to six times a game on his own.

FWIW, spoke with an administration person in the Roanoke area in that reffing association or whatever it's called. This is his 50th year calling games (impressive) and he is retiring at the end of the year (also, he hates the name Santa Claus lol).

Not sure whether Gretna got cheated or not as i was not at game.That said there is no way officials from the same area should have been officiating a game of this importance.Even if the calls were not bias,you leave yourself open for complaints from the other side who is on the losing side.If you are following this idiot pattern,then you would think the home team not the road team would have had officials from their region Common sense is a rairity this day and time when it comes to athletics..........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT