ADVERTISEMENT

GW-54 chil-15 FINAL!!!

Both just picks but it was from the 20 and the 25 or 30 and as we were going in to score. And we stuffed one drive and the took the top off on the other.

Does the GW 2nd or 3rd string get to play or do they go right from the starters to jv players? Just curious bud

Oh okay. Stinks for the 2nd and 3rd string I guess. Lol. Very impressive win nonetheless. I thought Chilhowie might keep it close for awhile but I was wrong. Not the first time and surely not the last. Lol

Yeah I'm not just saying cause in a GW fan but our 2s and 3s are just as big and fast as our varsity so it's alot of the same

Blaster, congrats to GW on their win. GW is as good or better than advertised. They
Had Chilhowie's number from the opening whistle. Chilhowie layed that egg that
I said they do at least once every year.....They did not show up to play!
GW has a great team with tremendous skill and speed, and good coaching. They
Will be hard to beat in the post season. Best of luck.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Blaster, first off congrats on the win but I am just curious how the JV is able to play a quarter or two in about all of the Varsity games and still have sanctioned time available to play JV? I am purely speaking from ignorance but I thought you only have so many available during a season.

I am wondering the same thing. Players are only allowed 40 qtrs. So how does GW suit up their JV and play in almost every varsity game, then play a JV schedule?

Thanks for the congrats fellas they are finally playing as a team. And from what I know and this could be completely wrong but I've always been told as long as they don't start they can play. But again but that could be way off I really don't know.

Like I said we have a few 2s and 3s that are moved up to varsity who play garbage time. But it's alot of jv and we have probably 8 or 9 Fr and So that only play varsity.

Thanks for the congrats fellas they are finally playing as a team. And from what I know and this could be completely wrong but I've always been told as long as they don't start they can play. But again but that could be way off I really don't know.

A player has 40 quarters total in regular season, so sorry bud but someone did tell you wrong

A player has 40 quarters total in regular season, so sorry bud but someone did tell you wrong

I certainly am not questioning to stir the pot. I was under the impression that like 2x4 stated, there is a set number of quarters that can be played. I know most good programs make sure to develop the next group of starters by making sure they get PT early on. The stretch run is on so its almost the second season which most everyone is looking forward to.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Thank you for the correction like I said I didn't really know about that. Idk we might have to check the playing time. Our JV has seen a good bit of time this season. It's a mix of jv and 2s and 3s but like I said mostly jv.

I certainly am not questioning to stir the pot. I was under the impression that like 2x4 stated, there is a set number of quarters that can be played. I know most good programs make sure to develop the next group of starters by making sure they get PT early on. The stretch run is on so its almost the second season which most everyone is looking forward to.
You're good cause now that I know that it's 40Qs I'm curious to. And they should see play time at least 2 more times in the regular season. So it will be interesting.

A lot of our JV is our 2nd and 3rd string. It's 1A ball.

Leave our starters in, and we get accused of running up the score.

Get a big lead, and we get accused of playing underclassmen who play on Thursday too much.

It's a catch 22. I don't have the numbers on the quarters our young bunch as been on the field. I'm just a fan...I don't chart a thing. But I'm not sure what folks want, either. It's been a question raised more than once on this board and others: "Why was (insert player name here) still in the game with a comfy lead in the third quarter?" And now this?

What do you WANT us to do? Leave our Varsity in when it's 51-8 at the half?

I don't have a dog in this race, but I must say, IF GW left their starters in for the 2nd
Half they would have scored over 100 points on Chilhowie. Are they that much better
Than Chilhowie? The answer is YES, they were Saturday night.

I see no weaknesses in the GW team. They have the complete package for A1 football.
I personally don't see anyone beating them in the A1 West, WHEN they play like they
Did Saturday, and that includes Everybody in SWVA, all A1Teams, no exceptions.
How Galax beat them, well I have no clue, but it must have been one hell of a team,
That night to beat them.

Is GW beatable, NO, not by anyone in SWVA, WHEN they play like they did Saturday!
End of discussion!

Rules are rules. Play ineligible players and someone investigates you risk forfeiting games. It would not likely be an issue until late in the season and the jv season is over. It might also help if people didn't blast it all over the internet

I don't have a dog in this race, but I must say, IF GW left their starters in for the 2nd
Half they would have scored over 100 points on Chilhowie. Are they that much better
Than Chilhowie? The answer is YES, they were Saturday night.

I see no weaknesses in the GW team. They have the complete package for A1 football.
I personally don't see anyone beating them in the A1 West, WHEN they play like they
Did Saturday, and that includes Everybody in SWVA, all A1Teams, no exceptions.
How Galax beat them, well I have no clue, but it must have been one hell of a team,
That night to beat them.

Is GW beatable, NO, not by anyone in SWVA, WHEN they play like they did Saturday!
End of discussion!
That's one of hell of a statement to say they're unbeatable by anyone in SWVA especially when a team from SWVA already went to their place and man handled them. They're a dang good football team but they're beatable just like everyone else.

Last edited:
Rules are rules. Play ineligible players and someone investigates you risk forfeiting games. It would not likely be an issue until late in the season and the jv season is over. It might also help if people didn't blast it all over the internet

I understand that those are the rules....That has been one for years. And trust me, I COMPLETELY understand the point of your post...I actually agree with what you're saying.

My point is just that with all the "GW leaves their starters in, and runs up the score" chatter we've heard over the years, I'm just kinda surprised this is even brought up. A few weeks ago, Beamer gets dinged up late in the third quarter, and a poster here mentioned, "Why was he even in the game at that point with a lead?" The 40 quarter rule is a big part of that. Like I said, I don't chart that, and I have no idea if we have any kids in jeopardy of going over the limit. I seriously doubt anyone who posts here does either. I trust the staff is doing that.

But again, people complain when we leave upperclassmen in, and now people are complaining that we might be playing the underclassmen too much. I don't get that lol

I don't think anyone is saying that playing younger players is wrong. It's against the rules to have them play Wed/Thurs against other 8/9/10 graders then play again for a half on Friday. I am sure GW doesn't have a problem getting 45-55 Varsity players come out to play. I am a not insinuating that whatever is taking place at GW is wrong but to state that the JV is playing implies it is the same kids that just played earlier in the same week. If for no other reason that is a stretch to do consistently if you are at all concerned with the safety of these young men. What we see in this area is that the players that are brought in are the 2's and 3's.... and until the final game of the season no JV players are in uniform on Friday. As for running it up with second or third string, coaches still call plays and can control the game. I am on the fence about that too because if the kid is in he should be going full out and deserves to get whatever outcome he can. i suppose it may just be semantics when someone refers to a younger player as a JV player. Either way it doesn't affect me so I was just curious as to how a kid played a complete JV season and still was eligible to play basically a half of the Varsity season.

Reactions: MT FAN 91
Like I said guys it's a mix our varsity usually always plays half of the 3rd. But didn't last night because it was getting extremely chippy. Helmets getting ripped off late hits ect. Beamer was in at QB all of the 3rd with a jv line. The rest was 3s then in the 4th it was all JV. I'm not the biggest Harner fan but he is finally coaching the kids very well and wouldn't risk the season to let kids play. I'm very positive that everything GW is doing is on the up and up. If we did leave varsity in we would've won by more than 100 in 5 of our 6 wins. When that team is on they are deadly and can hang massive amounts of points. When they are off and fumble the ball inside there own 25 twice and 2 more time after that. They get beat 45-20 not taking the win away from Galax the abused us. But as I've said we helped a whole lot. I'll say it here and now if that game happens again GW will roll if they are on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT