ADVERTISEMENT

GW-56 Rad-0 FINAL!!!

GW-30 Rad-0 6:32 2nd Q Walker Nowers 10 yards out. This is impressive we are moving at will on the ground we held the ball for about 5 mins then scored.

I coach a lot of these young men in sandlot I've known for a while what this group was. I've said it since last season this team would be better than 2015. And they really are a step above they look like they are 3 games in already. We had a constant stream of subs Radford had no clue how to cover even half of what we had to show. And on the ground it was ugly GW ran the ball at will through any hole that line is SPECIAL.

GW was on another level. They're as good as advertised. For Radford it may be a long long season

We have a very, very good team this year.

But we aren't quite ready for the likes of Essex, Riverheads, and maybe even Galax....Yet.

Make no mistake, we CAN do some special things here. I'm certainly not trying to downplay that. We look better than our 2012 championship team did out of the gate. This is a good group I've been circling to have a legit chance to play in Salem for some time now...I'm circling next years group to be able to do the same.

But are we there yet? Ehhh...we're damn close. I love a lot about this team, but there are still some things to shore up. Radford isn't the Radford of last year. To be honest, I've been watching (and spent some of these years playing) high school football since 1983, and this is hands down the worst Radford team I've seen. Hey, that's not our fault, and MAYBE we had a huge part in that.

But I love our kids' attitude.

I'm not saying we can't do special things....I'm just saying let's get round 1 and see what happens. I do like where this is going, tho.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Fair assessment loyal some things do need tweaking. But I think everyone in Wytheville who watches high school football knows what we might be looking at. And the ones of us who are almost religious about it have known what this team could be. Essex and RH are always going to be spoken about in whispers as the type of teams you don't want to play. But by the end of the season I honestly think this GW is going to be on that very short list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chilwar25
Anyone who plays GW this season is going to hate our line. Massive with depth, speed, experience, mean! ect. And I really think we shocked the kids of Radford with how many skills players we kept subbing in it was a constant flow of size and speed. Plus it didn't hurt that the D was on point all night or was swarm and kill D from go. I think raddy only had 2 1st downs all night.

Last edited:
I think this is a special group of kids. They are more humble than the 2012 group. Just all work with one goal in mind. I loved the 2012 crew too, these boys just don't follow the same path in attitude. Both ways can win, so watch out. A good match with Galax is coming down the pipeline and may even happen twice this season!

Very true they come out to finish a job. At Tazewell they came out and it was only kill shots from the beginning. Same thing in radford it was foot on throat football. The O was clicking on almost all cylinders and that is a scary thing we didn't even have to use our pass O. And that D was outrageous in how good it was they swarmed everything that was dressed in black and had a football lol. The D line was more than dominant and our LBs were on point at every level it really was no mercy D. I really only see 2 teams being able to stay on the field with us during the regular season Galax and PH I think we will roll over everyone else by 5 or more TDs.

Blaster, congrats on the win over Radford. From what you have said, and others too,
GW is in mid season form ! Sounds like a perfect 10-0 regular season. If you can get
By Galax and PH, the only other team that may give you a game would be Marion.
Yes the Canes destroyed Chilhowie Friday, in quick fashion.

I thought the two school would play a close game, but Marion was up 28 -0 at half.
Chilhowie looks like they are In for another losing year, when a lot of people thought
They would field a descent squad this year. Not sure what the problem is at CHS..

Marion has a quality team. Better not sleep on them. They run their offense very well,
And their Defense is physical. They have size, and good numbers, about 50 players.
Maybe it was just because their competition was weak, but Marion is legit, and they
Are going to win several games this year.

Best of luck Blaster!

Chilwar if the same team we all saw last Friday comes out the rest of the season we will go 10-0. And from what I've seen on marion they might keep up for a little bit. But this is a different beast then we've had for a long time. In my honest opinion they are 2 TDs better than our 2012 team. As you said this team is in mid season form right now this is a special group in Wytheville. All 59 kids we dressed come out as a unit. And the starters are an already consolidated group of pack hunters. As I said above they are extremely focused on ending the game before the other team can score. And I never thought I would say this but coach Harner has the same attitude as the kids kill shots and nothing else. I mean I know I sound like an arrogant ass but it's just I've honestly only seen a handful of teams at GW that even look close to this one. This team literally has everything they need to compete at the highest level of 1A. We subbed constantly against Tazewell and Radford at the skills and on the D line. I'd say GW played 7 players at the skills on O. To sum up my way! to long post this team is impressive.

Reactions: Chilwar25
I agree Blaster, this is one of the best George Wythe teams I have seen. Its like Coach Harner said on Friday football extra these kids don't want to feel the way they felt last year losing in the Quarters, That is a Statement that this team WILL WIN STATE and I believe that this team has the talent to do it. They will have a lot of depth by playoff time as well I expect the JV will play the second half against Marion, Honaker, Northwood, and PH. They may see 3 quarters of action against teams like Fort Chiswell, Rural Retreat, Holston, and Chilhowie. The only challenge I foresee is Galax.

This team has as much if not more potential than any other team GW has ever fielded. We just have so many weapons on both sides of the ball. 2007 was the last time the D looked this dominant. I might be a bit biased cause I was on that team but these kids are special.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT