ADVERTISEMENT

GW-7 Sussex-8 Final!!!

Like I said if GW would've won nun of this coach is bad stuff would've been going on and that's a fact if they would've won against Sussex then went to Salem and won it all what would people say that's all I'm saying
He definitely wouldn't be on the block but this talk has been around since day 1. And yes the talk probably would've died down. But he has never been liked, the kids just don't want to be around him and no matter if that right or wrong that's the deal.

Me personally I would've let him kick it he has that range. But it's over now Sussex won and was the better team. This is all going to come down to what the next group of kids and parents want. And word is its not Harner.

If this is true, and in fact the admin makes a move to cower to the voices, shame on them. You should be ashamed of yourself as a GW fan for encouraging this kind of attitude and talk in the community. Kids read this. Parents read this. The lack of support is surprising, but what's more surprising is the idea that this type of attitude is okay and encouraged. Hogwash. I've never met the man and couldn't tell you the first thing about him. But he is 33-8 and seems to be a halfway decent individual. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you you aren't passionate about your school, but to openly encourage this kind of talk - - I'm certainly not a fan of it.

The next thing -- any parent who transfers their kid because they "don't like the high school football coach" - - needs to take a parenting class. That is quite honestly the dumbest most irrational/irresponsible thing someone could do when trying to develop character in a young man.

Reactions: Arnsparger
When the discussion of "These kids won't like their boss and they just can't leave", sure they can because in today's age kids live with Mom and Dad until they are in their 20's. LOL. How sad. I get that you don't like certain coaches, but I honestly don't understand the logic if "I don't get my way, then I want the person in charge fired or I'm leaving." That fact that parents are joining in on this madness is frightening.

I'm not encouraging anything I'm simply saying what is being said. I didn't say a word to the guy when the game was over I gathered my stuff and came home. A fair amount of parents were ready to hurt him that is no joke. I myself heard many of them say they wanted to fight him and not just the fathers. That was probably just angry talk but it was said by alot of people. Again I'm simply giving an a count of what is being said. This isn't even in the slightest surprising to me this talk has been around for 3 years now. Hell a lot wanted him out after last year. Don't be surprised if he isn't at GW next year be it under his own power to leave or if the school parts ways with him. And like I've said if he is still coach 99% of the kids want nothing to do with him. That's not me encouraging anything that is the truth he is not liked. 33-8 or 41-0 he isn't what folks want. They aren't going to make the kids play for someone who they nor the kids like. Especially when it's being said he demeans and belittles the kids. It might be fixed and GW could have another great year but he will have to change his whole coaching style to have a chance. Out of all the kids who can come back next year that I've spoke to personally. 2 out of about 15 have said they would play for him next year. The other 13 who would be starters said if he is the coach they will not come out. And this was being said in like week 2 of the season. I have no control over what these kids do they want to play they will if they don't well then they wont.

No matter how good a coach is , one loosing season and the fans want him gone ! They forget any success in the past and the demons come pouring out . Will be no different at Riverheads . Casto has a year of below average talent and his name will be mud . In the pros its the $, In college its $ and pride and in high school its the parents living their life thru their children . The fact is this is high school football win or loose the sun will shine the next day . Just pray your kids don't get hurt and hope its fun for them . Sometimes the blame could be shared by all . Coaches , players , fans , and parents . jmo

I'm sure cooler heads will prevail once things move on. I've seen other schools where kids and parents said the child wouldn't play for a coach the following season yet they're back out there when the next season starts. I don't know the guy but even you bud said he was a lot better this year as a coach but now that they lose by one to a great team the parents want to fight him and want him gone? Personally I think it's pretty embarrassing for any parent to try and fight a coach no matter what. I just feel like if GW had of won Saturday this wouldn't be on the boards and if they'd have won it all it wouldn't be either. But now that theyre out the coach gets blasted. Obviously idk him at all but he was in a tough spot Saturday. If he had of kicked the 45 yard fg and missed he'd have been blasted too. If he had of tried it and the kid made it everyone would be praising him. Just my two cents

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
True man but with GW we haven't had a losing season in 20 years. So expectations are extremely high. One of his problems is he came in trying to figure out how to be a head coach. And the fans want someone who has been a HC for a while. Joey Russell or Bobby Bandrhymer (spelling?) Would be a perfect fit imo. Again is it right no but people don't care about right and wrong when it comes to there kids.

Personally I think kids and parents are too soft these days. Kids today couldn't play for some of the kids I played for growing up. The hard nosed in your face kinda coach. Half would pee their pants. Lol.

I'm sure cooler heads will prevail once things move on. I've seen other schools where kids and parents said the child wouldn't play for a coach the following season yet they're back out there when the next season starts. I don't know the guy but even you bud said he was a lot better this year as a coach but now that they lose by one to a great team the parents want to fight him and want him gone? Personally I think it's pretty embarrassing for any parent to try and fight a coach no matter what. I just feel like if GW had of won Saturday this wouldn't be on the boards and if they'd have won it all it wouldn't be either. But now that theyre out the coach gets blasted. Obviously idk him at all but he was in a tough spot Saturday. If he had of kicked the 45 yard fg and missed he'd have been blasted too. If he had of tried it and the kid made it everyone would be praising him. Just my two cents
He did do a better job and I stick by that but as I said my opinion doesn't matter here. I don't have a child playing I've coached 90% of them but none are mine. I know the family's very well and they dont want there children around him. And I do agree if they had won you wouldn't be hearing alot of this but this really has been the talk for a while now. And I don't know if blasted is the word he is being taken to the cleaners by some folks. I think things can work out by like I said for them to be fixed he will have to change everything. The way he acts around the kids, his coaching style ect. Idk tike will tell all we can do is set back and see what happens.

Personally I think kids and parents are too soft these days. Kids today couldn't play for some of the kids I played for growing up. The hard nosed in your face kinda coach. Half would pee their pants. Lol.
No doubt man most of us here played for extreme had ass coaches. I've talked about how things went when I played on here before. Like a kid breaking his arm into the shape of an s and being told to stop being a pussy and get up. I guess the best way for me to put this is look at H.S Ingo he won a state title and took the team to a semifinals. And was fired after never having a bad year why? Because a small handful of parents didn't like him. They though he was to hard on the kids and like I said that was literally like 5 or 10 parents. Harner is hated by the majority of people so...

If you watch the tape there were a lot of dropped balls from GW receivers in which some were wide open...he put them in great positions with his play calls but they didnt execute. Other times the Sussex defense was stingy. They actually had opportunities to score and didnt execute. That last drive didnt lose them the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 20Bronco06
I wonder if Galax fans are as upset as GW fans after there loss on S at. I don't think so ! The kids are healthy and coach Dixon will be back . Sometimes its good to step back and take a look what has happened . Point a finger any where you want but bottom line the kids play the game . Us bleacher coaches sometimes should keep our opinions to ourselves . Let cool heads prevail and visit Salem on Sat. and watch a couple good ball games . Good Luck to All Still Playing !

True GW left points on the field but didn't execute well at all. But it doesn't seem to matter what cause it he is the one getting the backlash over it.

Why precisely don't they like him? Is their beef with his character? The way he treats the kids? What is the alternative they are looking for?

A little of all of that the kids say he treats them like crap. A few quit this year from the way he talked to them. And I don't t mean a little ass chewing I mean completely downing a kid. The parents I've spoke with say he takes undo credit and alot felt that way with the article in the bristol paper the other day. And I guess they are looking for an experienced leader. Not someone trying to get there footing at the expense of talent. They want a proven winner and someone who knows the GW culture of winning. He came from a small amount of talent into a wealth of it. Again I don't agree with everything being said but it is being said regardless. Just to toss a name I've heard Joey Russell is wanted.

Sounds like they've had their man picked out since day 1 and doesn't matter what he would do - - he will never be good enough. I read the article, didn't see a thing in the world wrong with it. To me, it sounds like there is maybe a bit of pride and arrogance, and they are salty a coach with no hc experience started at a school like GW.

It very well could be that now don't mistake what I've said some do like him. But most do not I've heard Steve James, HS Ingo (yes I know), even Mark Dixon again I know you don't have to tell me. It seems to me that he was out before he began. But he might be at GW for 40 years who knows. Right now it seems like his time is short at least with the parents.

So now parents are giving advice on who to hire? This is a complete joke. What happened was, they got their hind ends whipped and are looking for someone to blame. I can bet there is some truth to the he treats them, but that isn't why they lost. It's hard to swallow that you aren't the best, especially after hearing it and believing it all year. Looking yourself in the mirror and having accountability on yourself is extremely hard, especially for 16-18 year olds, but that's to be expected. That's when the parent steps in and teaches a lesson, not threatened to fight and quit. What a bunch of losers.

Reactions: Arnsparger
Was in the real estate office today , a young family from Wytheville was looking for a home in Greenville . Sounds like the ship is sinking ? lol Get over it !!!!!!!!

Like I said that game was only the pivot point it's not why they are calling for his head. Alot of people have wanted him out since day 1. The kids are fine with being beat by a better team in Sussex that's fine. But they are not fine with his attitude and the parents finally got the spark they needed. Now it's on in Wytheville

The kids shook the loss off that night yes it hurt but they took the loss in stride. This was mainly brought on by parents all of which are great people. But they as any other loving parents are going to stand up for the children. They feel he wronged the kids so they are going after him.

He's been the same "mean" Coach for 3 years, now after GW loses they want him gone? Sounds like the parents are a little bit hurt that their children lost and they are doing anything to blame someone else, Coach Harner is just the guy in their way.

Reactions: Xcross
That very well could be the case but I have physical proof (that will not be put on here) that they've wanted him out since before the season started. Is hard to win people over when they have the perception that you think you're better than them and they children. That come directly from his attitude twords the kids. Either way no matter what the case may be they want him out. It might be better for him and the school just to move on to the next. In a mutually beneficial parting ways. If he stays I'll still be a GW fan no matter what 15-0 or 0-10. But he has to take into consideration now he is coaching kids from 9-12 that have an image of him that is much less than stellar. So in the best case scenario he is stuck coaching 3 more years of kids who hate him.

I don't know the GW community or the head coach but I wonder if it's like a lot of rural places where it's a good old boy network and if you aren't in with the certain group of people they don't like you no matter what you do. Seen it many times

Joey Russell???? He has never been a head football coach has he. Wasn't he "let go" as basketball coach?
He was the head coach of the JV from 1993-2008 with like a 121-11 record and something like 5-8 undefeated seasons in a row. And when Coach Pruitt left he was on tap but HS got the job. So when they let HS go he again was on tap but was passed over again. So he is very well liked in Wytheville as he should be and us more than capable of being a head coach at GW. He has been around the program for almost 25 years. Now he is at Chilhowie as an OC so idk I think he would be an amazing choice.

Yes so called "hazing" but it was because of a single parent not a group of them like is the case now. It was absolutely zero "hazing" the kid was made to run as punishment. It was literally 1 person who got him out. I know the story very well cause I know the family very well. It wasn't even a 10th as bad as reported it was simply 1 person got mad and HS was gone. Harner is facing alot of parents who are pissed. But the point is a man who was winning titles was gone over a pissed parent.

I wonder if Galax fans are as upset as GW fans after there loss on S at. I don't think so ! The kids are healthy and coach Dixon will be back . Sometimes its good to step back and take a look what has happened . Point a finger any where you want but bottom line the kids play the game . Us bleacher coaches sometimes should keep our opinions to ourselves . Let cool heads prevail and visit Salem on Sat. and watch a couple good ball games . Good Luck to All Still Playing !
Galax simply got beat by a better team and I don't think you will hear anyone from Galax calling for Dixon to be gone.

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that HS had charges against him as well for this. That was a whole different situation then Harner. If they force Harner out because of the parents, that's sad.

Reactions: CallMeCoach19
Same for GW a better team got us. I'm telling everyone that loss isn't the reason he is hated but it was the spark needed for the powder keg to explode.

I thought I read somewhere that HS had charges against him as well for this. That was a whole different situation then Harner. If they force Harner out because of the parents, that's sad.
She tried to get him charged for hazing but it was all dropped. I'm telling you it was reported as being 1000 times worse than it was. It was a severe over reaction of a pissed parent cause the kid didn't play. So in a way yes a different situation but kinda similar in the sense that parents aren't happy with the way the kids are being treated.

Galax simply got beat by a better team and I don't think you will anyone from Galax calling for Dixon to be gone.
The comments I have read since the game have been nothing but top notch ! Dixon is a great coach and he will have the MT back in it next year ! Riverheads was just a little better this year and the revenge factor may have been a big part of their win . Galax is a great little town with good people who love their football . Hope the MT comes to Greenville next year .

I do want to make it clear that Sussex was simply the better team. I do not want to take that away from them.

It very well could be that now don't mistake what I've said some do like him. But most do not I've heard Steve James, HS Ingo (yes I know), even Mark Dixon again I know you don't have to tell me. It seems to me that he was out before he began. But he might be at GW for 40 years who knows. Right now it seems like his time is short at least with the parents.

I'm pretty much biting my tongue on the whole subject, because it's silly. But I did want to chime in on this particular post here. I know it's not so much you, Blaster, it's more about what you've heard.

But if these people you are listening to list these three guys, then they are absolutely clueless. There's no way they come to (or back, in H.S.'s and to some degree Stephen's case) to GW.

Zero percent chance. That's just folks talking out of their asses, and nothing more.

I'm going to throw this out there as well...but Harner wasn't the first coach offered the job when we made the hire. Someone else who had applied accepted and then withdrew shortly thereafter. Harner was plan B.

I'm not going to mention who plan A was, but we got the better end of that deal in the long run. By a mile. Sure, I know a handful of parents that aren't happy. However, you'd better be very careful what you wish for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT