ADVERTISEMENT

GW-7 Sussex-8 Final!!!

Harner man they were ready to go crazy if giventhe chance. It was like the one part of the stands exploded with anger when the game was over. He was called every name in the book and a few new ones.

Blaster I have had a few conversations with you on here and although you are blinded by the love of your team not only have you been right most of the time you have also admitted when you were wrong. I can respect that. I hate that the fans were that upset with the coach but let me ask you when a staff is given a tremendous amount of credit not saying it isnt deserved and they have an article that was quite braggadocios dont you think they are asking for the heat?

Blaster I have had a few conversations with you on here and although you are blinded by the love of your team not only have you been right most of the time you have also admitted when you were wrong. I can respect that. I hate that the fans were that upset with the coach but let me ask you when a staff is given a tremendous amount of credit not saying it isnt deserved and they have an article that was quite braggadocios dont you think they are asking for the heat?
Omg where u at master blaster what I tell u hard head make a soft ass Sussex D is the best like I said how many points did GW put up..... oh oh ok but I thought it was going to be 88-0 now do you see size don't mean a damn thing they wanted

Oh yeah no doubt the staff at GW was asking for backlash. I was kinda pissed when I read that article he made it seem like it was him and the other coaches. The old saying is "its not the xs and os it's the Johnnys and Joes". So I'm a firm believer that the talent is the most important part. Yes a coach can add to a team but they can also take a lot away. I've not been a fan of his since day 1 so today I just sat back a watched. It seemed like every fan who came out of that one side was cussing him with there souls. It was hatred no other word will do. And I can be blinded sometimes but as you said that's just love and passion.

Were they mad about him not kicking it...bc that did confuse me...why didnt he kick it...at least try. You guys have a kicker.

Were they mad about him not kicking it...bc that did confuse me...why didnt he kick it...at least try. You guys have a kicker.
It wouldve been close to a 50 yarder going into the wind. They were moving the ball good on the last drive. That's the thing with coaching if your call works your Great/genius..if it doesnt the coach is the worst and he can't coach. Sad honestly..GW finished in the final four and 11-2 I think...heck of an accomplishment

Oh yeah no doubt the staff at GW was asking for backlash. I was kinda pissed when I read that article he made it seem like it was him and the other coaches. The old saying is "its not the xs and os it's the Johnnys and Joes". So I'm a firm believer that the talent is the most important part. Yes a coach can add to a team but they can also take a lot away. I've not been a fan of his since day 1 so today I just sat back a watched. It seemed like every fan who came out of that one side was cussing him with there souls. It was hatred no other word will do. And I can be blinded sometimes but as you said that's just love and passion.
What article y'all talking about?

If it's true that parents were leaving the stands cussing a Coach and said they wanted to fight him, that's embarrassing. If it's true that GW was on the 32 yard line with the wind in their face, the GW kicker isn't hitting that. Sorry to say, 90% of college kickers are having trouble making a 49 yarder with the wind in their face. I think when I was in high school the state record for Single A was for sure under 50 yards and I think the Jornell (Spelling is wrong) kid from Giles broke it a year or two after I graduated and his was a little over 50. He's a D1 kicker with a huge leg. Now add in the wind in the kid's face, that's a tall task for a 16-18 year old kid, especially in the State Semi-Finals. I think 99% of Coaches would have gone for it.

Nah no blues here fellas we got beat by a better team no excuses. And I was simply saying what the GW fans and parents coming out of the stands were saying. Alot of the parents went off on him after the game. Some saying they would fight him if they caught him. That's no joke guys they wanted to hurt that man today. And yes believe or not I would've let Russell kick that ball. But that is here nor there Sussex won congrats to them. Oh and one more thing i didnt say 88-0 that was Dtayl6. But I'll eat my crow with a side of humble pie as I said I would all year.
It was sad to see players and parents acting the way acted after the game. Humility will serve them well in the future. #4 was throwing his pads and equipment across the field like a baby.

Sussex basically went into a prevent mode, GW had little time to work. They picked up a few first downs passing on the final drive, and had it got to be a 4th and long, maybe 12-14 yds I think. Had they got about 6-8 yds on 3rd down and got inside the 30, I thought they would try and kick, but even then they would have to rush on the field because they had no timeouts. From a coaching standpoint, and I can be very critical of coaches, there was absolutely nothing he did wrong. GW did not execute well the whole day and the last drive was no different. Droppd passes and passes off the mark and tipped passes and int's. Some of it was forced by Sussex, some wasn't.

From listening to the game the announcers were puzzled by the 2nd down play call that was a running play and went nowhere and made GW burn there last timeout. Thought might be what had fans agitated.

Was that the same play they busted against radford last year in the playoffs late in the game for a td to win it?

Don't know ? Thought announcers said that maybe play was brought in wrong- they were speculating though.

I remembering watching the highlight from last year and it looked like they hit the inside trap for td. If so you could understand why they were apt to try it again.

I've haven't said anything but I've known for a long time that 99% of the kids at GW hate Harner. People can say what they want but I know these kids personally. I talk to them on a weekly basis and I can tell you they don't want to play for Harner. They do not like him at all and alot of the parents don't either. I think he might of coached his last game at GW. And if he didn't he won't have a team to coach

Reactions: Roons Fan
I've haven't said anything but I've known for a long time that 99% of the kids at GW hate Harner. People can say what they want but I know these kids personally. I talk to them on a weekly basis and I can tell you they don't want to play for Harner. They do not like him at all and alot of the parents don't either. I think he might of coached his last game at GW. And if he didn't he won't have a team to coach
If he's anything like Hale that coached FC for 1 year. I can understand why. Notice I didn't call him coach. I don't know harner so I'm speculating. If the players don't believe in their coach, it's time for him to move on. That's 50% of the battle.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
Like I said man people can believe what they want. But the kids I've talked to and that's majority of the team. Can not stand him and have told me directly that they will not play for him. And I couldn't agree more if the kids don't buy into a coach it's over before it starts.

From listening to the game the announcers were puzzled by the 2nd down play call that was a running play and went nowhere and made GW burn there last timeout. Thought might be what had fans agitated.
Again, that was not really a bad call. At that point I think it was like 2nd 6, and certainly had Sussex been in a true NFl prevent, it would have probably picked up big yardage. But Sussex stuffed it

Here is the deal, The coach did not lose the game. Whether his players like him or not. They did not execute, mainly because Sussex defense was just better. The kids got frustrated with the lack of success, you could tell they were use to having their way. The game really could have gone either way

Reactions: oldballcoach13
I admit I was not even close in this projection. I despise the behavior being described after the game. I seriously doubt, if GW had gone on to win a title, that anyone would question the coach at this moment. Kids are going to play football no matter what, so there will certainly be a team there to coach. If you get rid of an 11-2 coach over one play call then, you all deserve the down years that lie ahead. Coaching carousels are a terrible idea. TERRIBLE!

Reactions: hokie0015
Coaches decisions SHOULD be questioned, but not kicking a 49 yard FG into the wind isn't one of them. I've noticed that when teams lose that people perceive has the best talent, then people always assume it was the coaching staff that lost it. While I agree with that SOME, I don't think that's the case here. Sussex had a great defensive plan and just shut down the size of GW with their speed.

You've got to be kidding me right? Two state semi final appearances and they will fire him? If he moves on on his own accord, then thats him. But if they force him out - -- unbelievable. Play the damn game for whoever the hell is coaching you - - suck it up and get over it. He has been highly successful. Parents are 90% of the problem. We have such a cradled and coddled generation. Hell - - a little of playing for someone they don't much care for could teach them a heck of a life lesson or two. These small schools think and often do succeed at pulling the right strings to get their way. When these kids go on and move on and they leave their small town bubble, they suck at life because they were raised in a bubble where they always got their way.

It's a wonder anyone coaches high school sports anymore. The way these coaches are treated by parents and players is just downright absurd. Tom Harding at Honaker, winning-est baseball coach in VHSL history, is OUT. Didn't get to go out on his own terms, likely because people in the community wanted to move on. Coaches sacrifice so much - - and continually get drug through the mud anytime something goes wrong.

You've got to be kidding me right? Two state semi final appearances and they will fire him? If he moves on on his own accord, then thats him. But if they force him out - -- unbelievable. Play the damn game for whoever the hell is coaching you - - suck it up and get over it. He has been highly successful. Parents are 90% of the problem. We have such a cradled and coddled generation. Hell - - a little of playing for someone they don't much care for could teach them a heck of a life lesson or two. These small schools think and often do succeed at pulling the right strings to get their way. When these kids go on and move on and they leave their small town bubble, they suck at life because they were raised in a bubble where they always got their way.

It's a wonder anyone coaches high school sports anymore. The way these coaches are treated by parents and players is just downright absurd. Tom Harding at Honaker, winning-est baseball coach in VHSL history, is OUT. Didn't get to go out on his own terms, likely because people in the community wanted to move on. Coaches sacrifice so much - - and continually get drug through the mud anytime something goes wrong.

Could not have said it better. Keep letting the kids get their way teaches them nothing and does nothing for them for when they get into the real world. You will not always like your boss so what are you going to do demand he or she gets fired Newsflash that wont happen you will be the one let go. Sounds like the kids and parents need to grow up and move on. 11-2 is nothing to be ashamed of. GW was one of the final four standing and lost to a better team.

I do agree man you gotta play for your coach. Do I personally like him no but it doesn't matter if I do or not. And I'm just telling what I know to be truth. And that is that the parents and kids loathe Harner. Yes his record is good and yes he has had success. But anyone who knows GW football also knows it can be extremely hostile. The point I'm trying to make is as a coach you have to make a connection with your kids. And he hasn't hell not even close the terms I've heard are... D bag, Ahole, SOB, POS and they only get worse. I've spoke with key players and they've told me that he acts like he is better than them. Now I do agree kids now are WAY WAY to sensitive and kept in a bubble from the real world. But that is sadly the world we live in idk man my guess would be he might be out. And like I said if he isn't then alot of the kids and parents have said they either won't play for him or will move. Maybe it can be fixed but right now it isn't looking good.

Wow, I can't believe that this is even on the boards. The man just coached in a semi final game against a very good Sussex team and he needs to go? Not that there is a direct correlation but the Pittsburgh model is what most teams should use. The coach is the leader regardless and for the community and his own team to undermine his authority only emboldens the next group of kids to stray further from HIS path. He steers the ship, period. If he is so bad how do they win fairly consistently? Every coach at the HS level is facing declining numbers and noisy parents. Why would you want to do that job? And it takes two to make a connection. If the only thing a kid hears from parents and boosters is how bad the guy is, how hard would that be to make a connection? Is the guy being recruited to replace Fox at Tech? No but he is at least above average or your program would be in shambles. Give the guy some support instead of jumping his ass for not delivering a ring that the community has been boasting and promising.
I will go further and say there were some jackasses at the state championship last year that were furious that Casto went for two. It doesn't matter what they thought, cause for 13 other games he made the decisions for Riverheads and because we won, nobody questioned. If the opportunity comes up again, regardless of what he chooses I will support him.
I have seen this story play at at another school where "the kids won't play for him", talk goes on. It is usually by boosters with overinflated opinions of their place in the division. I respect the fact you always back up your opinion with facts but as the saying goes, " ball don't lie". GW is a very good program and one most schools would love to have but I doubt many coaches will want to come there if they will get smeared by the communtiy for 23/24 wins and 4/5 loses over a two year span.

Nothing but respect for you blaster but this kinda stuff is ridiculous.

Why is everyone blaming the coach for the lost I don't get it it's not like he's playing only thing he can do is coach everyone needs to face the fact that Sussex was just good simple he ran plays and his players did not exacute them simple

I want to make it very clear these kids are very respectful and do as told. But when they say he acts like he is better than them what chance is there? And they win because of the tremendous amount of talent the town produces. Anyone could've got the last 2 teams to 10 wins no problem. It's a simple fact now that he is not liked by many at all. Facebook is a blaze with people going after him and calling for his head. I only see this playing out 2 ways. 1 He isn't the coach at GW next year. 2 He is and we win 0 games cause parents won't let their kids play for him. And kids don't want to play for him. I heard 10+ parents talking about how they were going to transfer the kids if he was.

Why is everyone blaming the coach for the lost I don't get it it's not like he's playing only thing he can do is coach everyone needs to face the fact that Sussex was just good simple he ran plays and his players did not exacute them simple
This talk is about alot more than that game. It's about the way the kids tell there parents he treats them. It's about how poorly he manages games. Yes this game may have been the pivot of all of this but this has been building for 3 years now. Since day 1 kids have not liked him and parents have quickly came to that same conclusion.

He should've kick the ball think about this I'm not saying the kicker isn't that good but 45-50 yard field goal and all that pressure imagine what have been going through that boy head "if I miss this kick it's all on me" just think if he would've kicked it and miss it I wanna know what everyone would've said "oh they should've never kick it let Beamer throw a cannon In the end zone or sum like either way sum would've Been made up

Like I said if GW would've won nun of this coach is bad stuff would've been going on and that's a fact if they would've won against Sussex then went to Salem and won it all what would people say that's all I'm saying

Me personally I would've let him kick it he has that range. But it's over now Sussex won and was the better team. This is all going to come down to what the next group of kids and parents want. And word is its not Harner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT