ADVERTISEMENT

GW-9 PM-14 FINAL!!!

I'm not saying it's right but it happens all the time. This is a small county so everyone has either family or friends in each town. So it's not hard at all for a kid to go to whatever school they want.

Harner’s record last 4 years (39-13)—————Record prior 4years (40-11)
2017,——-, 6-5......................................................2013,——, 6-5
2016,——, 12-2 lost in semifinal 8-7....................2012,——, 14-1 State champs
2015, ——, 12-2 lost in semifinal 31-20...............2011——, 12-1
2014,———, 9-4,....................................................2010,——, 8-4

Playing devils advocate, how can you let him go with his record?
Now against PM, there was probably 175yds of dropped balls that would easily put the game away. Some bad play calls here and there, like a lot of coaches have. So again playing devils advocate-How can you let him go?

Last edited:
I thought I read last year that he was the first coach to take gw to state back to back years or something. Sounds like a lot of mess from a lot of sides down there right now. Too many politics. I wouldn't want to have to step into that if I were taking a new job.

Reactions: obguthr
Harner’s record last 4 years (39-13)—————Record prior 4years (40-11)
2017,——-, 6-5......................................................2013,——, 6-5
2016,——, 12-2 lost in semifinal 8-7....................2012,——, 14-1 State champs
2015, ——, 12-2 lost in semifinal 31-20...............2011——, 12-1
2014,———, 9-4,....................................................2010,——, 8-4

Playing devils advocate, how can you let him go with his record?
Now against PM, there was probably 175yds of dropped balls that would easily put the game away. Some bad play calls here and there, like a lot of coaches have. So again playing devils advocate-How can you let him go?
It's not about numbers GW always wins a decent amount of games. That's no matter who is at the helm this comes down to the way he is and they way he can't manage a game to save his life. Now yes GW dropped everything thrown at them this week and we laid for it. But in past years we lost simply due to his choices nothing more nothing less. His time is coming to an end one way or another he will either be let go or he won't have a team worth coaching. None of these kids want to play for him right or wrong they simply don't. And I know for a 100% fact if he is still around we will not have at least 4 key players next season. Kids who will be the difference.

It's not about numbers GW always wins a decent amount of games. That's no matter who is at the helm this comes down to the way he is and they way he can't manage a game to save his life. Now yes GW dropped everything thrown at them this week and we laid for it. But in past years we lost simply due to his choices nothing more nothing less. His time is coming to an end one way or another he will either be let go or he won't have a team worth coaching. None of these kids want to play for him right or wrong they simply don't. And I know for a 100% fact if he is still around we will not have at least 4 key players next season. Kids who will be the difference.
IMO. Players for any coach has to somewhat like the coach to gain good team chemistry.
example: coach Kenny Alderman was the most respected and liked person in the whole school when he coached back in the day. The complete student body connected with him. Now that was some Great Chemistry! He was a good coach by the way.

Reactions: G MASTER BLASTER W
IMO. Players for any coach has to somewhat like the coach to gain good team chemistry.
example: coach Kenny Alderman was the most respected and liked person in the whole school when he coached back in the day. The complete student body connected with him. Now that was some Great Chemistry! He was a good coach by the way.
He was a good coach, probably 2nd best coach at Galax behind Dixon in my time anyway.a

I gave opinion when he was hired but I guess what I am asking is how can you let him go if he has averaged nearly 10 wins a season?

I gave opinion when he was hired but I guess what I am asking is how can you let him go if he has averaged nearly 10 wins a season?
Imo anyone can win at GW the kids will always be there. Yes we will have down years like any other team. But give it 2 years and the talent usually rebuilds to at least a semifinals level team. So the wins aren't that important it was shown that GW has has 24 losing seasons since 1937 24 over that time. So losing isn't something that happens much here so what it boils down to is what you do with that talent and how does that talent respond to you and don they respect you. In this case he has wasted more talent than almost any other coach maybe Larry Russell wasted a little more imo. Those teams from 90-93 where killers and didn't win anything because they got out coached. And the same thing has happened year after year now. In 2012 Ingo won with the same level of talent or maybe a little less honestly. And he did it against stronger teams because he knew how to connect with the kids and he was very hard to out coach. Harner isn't he literally gets out coached anytime he is against even an average coach. And against teams with good or above average coaching we either get beat or beat them because they don't have the weapons to keep up. 2 years ago RR comes to town GW gets up 21-0 and has to win in OT come on yes some of that is on the kids but alot is coaching. Basically he isn't liked by kids or parents and literally hasn't developed since he came. This man holds timeouts like he gets paid more if he has them at the end of the game. Yes 10 wins a year are great but let's be honest the 2015 and 16 teams could've won 10 games without any coaching at all. And then we come to my main point for the last 4 years he is causing kids to leave because they can't stand him. We had 3 amazing kids leave or not play for 1 reason him. EJ Horton, Walker Nowers and Jason Jones 3 outstanding kids no longer on the team because of 1 man. And yes those 3 would've made us a 9 win team this year 3 kids would've bumped us that much hell 1 of em was an all state WR how does that not hurt your team. 1 went to Pulaski and started for them and was a big weapon. I just feel like his time has come he should've won a title in year 3 like the last 2 coaches he had as much talent as 1 of them and not much less than the other.

Imo anyone can win at GW the kids will always be there. Yes we will have down years like any other team. But give it 2 years and the talent usually rebuilds to at least a semifinals level team. So the wins aren't that important it was shown that GW has has 24 losing seasons since 1937 24 over that time. So losing isn't something that happens much here so what it boils down to is what you do with that talent and how does that talent respond to you and don they respect you. In this case he has wasted more talent than almost any other coach maybe Larry Russell wasted a little more imo. Those teams from 90-93 where killers and didn't win anything because they got out coached. And the same thing has happened year after year now. In 2012 Ingo won with the same level of talent or maybe a little less honestly. And he did it against stronger teams because he knew how to connect with the kids and he was very hard to out coach. Harner isn't he literally gets out coached anytime he is against even an average coach. And against teams with good or above average coaching we either get beat or beat them because they don't have the weapons to keep up. 2 years ago RR comes to town GW gets up 21-0 and has to win in OT come on yes some of that is on the kids but alot is coaching. Basically he isn't liked by kids or parents and literally hasn't developed since he came. This man holds timeouts like he gets paid more if he has them at the end of the game. Yes 10 wins a year are great but let's be honest the 2015 and 16 teams could've won 10 games without any coaching at all. And then we come to my main point for the last 4 years he is causing kids to leave because they can't stand him. We had 3 amazing kids leave or not play for 1 reason him. EJ Horton, Walker Nowers and Jason Jones 3 outstanding kids no longer on the team because of 1 man. And yes those 3 would've made us a 9 win team this year 3 kids would've bumped us that much hell 1 of em was an all state WR how does that not hurt your team. 1 went to Pulaski and started for them and was a big weapon. I just feel like his time has come he should've won a title in year 3 like the last 2 coaches he had as much talent as 1 of them and not much less than the other.

Go '9ers...

All the talent in the world still needs coaching, you make it sound as if they could go out and get 9 or 10 wins with out a coach at all.

All the talent in the world still needs coaching, you make it sound as if they could go out and get 9 or 10 wins with out a coach at all.

The GW fan base is notorious for this type of thought process. It's a lot easier to blame one guy for their inadequacies rather than the conglomerate of the team.

"We win because of our talent and we lose because of the coaching." ----Traditional GW thought process.

Blaster, I agree with u on some of the points ur trying to make. I can’t agree with everything said tho. It’s unfortunate that those kids chose not to participate. Sad really. Especially the case with Walker. U stated that these kids chose not to play because of “one man”. BS!!! It goes way deeper than one man! One man doesn’t define a program. Walker deserved a chance to showcase how good he really was. He didn’t get that chance. Why?cause this season was more about breaking records and accomplishing individual stats. I commend that young man for stepping back and letting this unfold the way it did. I think he proved his point. He was the true star out there! It showed all year long when the game got tough GW didn’t have a “go to” guy when they needed one. Maybe I’m watching a different game than the rest of the fans, but I never saw a true captain on this years team let alone real senior leadership. Sure some players were misused at times, specially the “tank” as we all call him. Not his fault by any means. When he was healthy he shined like a star but this year u weren’t gonna out shine the golden star!! This team lacked heart like I said all year so it’s no surprise that they finished their season a little earlier than some expected. It wasn’t about wins and loses this year, more about records and politics. Sad part is the receivers that caught all those passes get NOTHING other than to be told they have a poor attitude. Unfortunately the coach takes the blame for things when they go wrong, but you have to remember he has a boss as well!
As for the kids that are thinking about leaving next year I say “stick with it”. Enough people sacrificed this season for some eyes to hopefully open. We will have to just sit back and see how it all plays out I guess.
Best of luck next year and hopefully the team is more of a team than they were this year. Just saying...

Reactions: 2kings4
Blaster, I agree with u on some of the points ur trying to make. I can’t agree with everything said tho. It’s unfortunate that those kids chose not to participate. Sad really. Especially the case with Walker. U stated that these kids chose not to play because of “one man”. BS!!! It goes way deeper than one man! One man doesn’t define a program. Walker deserved a chance to showcase how good he really was. He didn’t get that chance. Why?cause this season was more about breaking records and accomplishing individual stats. I commend that young man for stepping back and letting this unfold the way it did. I think he proved his point. He was the true star out there! It showed all year long when the game got tough GW didn’t have a “go to” guy when they needed one. Maybe I’m watching a different game than the rest of the fans, but I never saw a true captain on this years team let alone real senior leadership. Sure some players were misused at times, specially the “tank” as we all call him. Not his fault by any means. When he was healthy he shined like a star but this year u weren’t gonna out shine the golden star!! This team lacked heart like I said all year so it’s no surprise that they finished their season a little earlier than some expected. It wasn’t about wins and loses this year, more about records and politics. Sad part is the receivers that caught all those passes get NOTHING other than to be told they have a poor attitude. Unfortunately the coach takes the blame for things when they go wrong, but you have to remember he has a boss as well!
As for the kids that are thinking about leaving next year I say “stick with it”. Enough people sacrificed this season for some eyes to hopefully open. We will have to just sit back and see how it all plays out I guess.
Best of luck next year and hopefully the team is more of a team than they were this year. Just saying...
If this is not the most accurate opinion of GW I have seen this year!

Since you get the situation Daddy_rabbit answer this for me, why did the man in control not realize the stats would be better if they make accommodations to keep their wide outs at GW?. It would not have taken much.

If my son was QB at GW and I had control I would have made sure he had his star receiver and his friendly sidekick EJ.

Horton finished 2nd or 3rd in all receiving categories for timesland football, which is all the teams around the Roanoke area and westward in all classifications.

Well Kings, that my friend is the million dollar question. I don’t have an answer really. It seems like a no brainer to me. Maybe they thought everything would come out in the wash? Who knows?
If it was me, I would be trying to figure out what is needed to come together as a team. Running backs don’t get yards with out the o-line. Qb’s don’t get completions without receivers that are willing to fight for the ball. Not telling u anything u don’t already know I’m sure.

You hit the nail right on the head. GW had no leadership, no heart and no work ethic. The team played like they wanted the season to hurry and be over from the second game forward (what a shame). They appeared to be not having any fun playing the game.

Well the star QB is a senior this year so I just wonder if they got what they wanted. I myself went to 4 or 5 games this year. And at,all of them I never felt like GW had the game in the bag from the start. Last year my buddies and I would stand on the hill and bet each other on how many plays it would take GW to get in the end zone. I watched this year and saw Beamer get record after record. But i also saw a lot of the faces of the kids when they come off the field after the beat downs that they took. This something that doesn't happen at GW . So I guess what Iam trying to say is Beamer got the records but what has it costed the program at GW. I think that the coach has done alright but I also think it time for him to move on.

Last edited:
Well the star QB is a senior this year so I just wonder if they got what they wanted. I myself went to 4 or 5 games this year. And at,all of them I never felt like GW had the game in the bag from the start. Last year my buddies and I would stand on the hill and bet each other on how many plays it would take GW to get in the end zone. I watched this year and saw Beamer get record after record. But i also saw a lot of the faces of the kids when they come off the field after the beat downs that they took. This something that doesn't happen at GW . So I guess what Iam trying to say is Beamer got the records but what has it costed the program at GW. I think that the coach has done alright but I also think it time for him to move on.
I think it will take 2-3 years to recover from this, I don't blame the coach.

Now we've resorted to calling out players (by name) believing there were/are ulterior motives behind play calling.....

I think the GW fan base has now overtaken PM's for most ridiculous fan base representation on this site.

Wow.....:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Be careful what you wish for. Things happen, teams go from being very successful to everyone's homecoming in a matter of seasons for various reasons. Not always because a coaching change but you may look back 4-5 years after you push this guy who is winning 10 games a season and realize it wasn't as bad as you thought it was.
Ask King and Queen, Northampton, Bath Co, Surry, and Franklin how a matter of 10 years could be all the difference. (just for comparison, don't get all ruffled up I know GW has more tradition and rich history than any of these schools.)
Basically, I'm trying to say to be careful with the "our kids could win with anyone coaching" stuff. Maybe they can, but there isn't a plethora of D1 athletes in Wytheville, I bet odds are they still need coaching.

I get what you're saying about D1 talent but we don't need it when we don't play against it. And GW will never step the schedule up we will play the district like we have to and only what we want outside of it. So imo most years at GW 8 wins+ are within reach no matter who is coaching. We usually have the talent edge over 99% of teams we play and that alone wins us alot! Of ball games.

Now we've resorted to calling out players (by name) believing there were/are ulterior motives behind play calling.....

I think the GW fan base has now overtaken PM's for most ridiculous fan base representation on this site.

Wow.....:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Not,calling anyone out. The Beamer kid is a heck of a ball player. I,think he can play at the next level. But things have happened behind the seance that you know nothing about. I would love to see him play at the next level. Iam just a fan of the GW Maroons that gave my opinion.

Reactions: gw_loyal
G roons u were at most of those games. U know what’s going on. U can tell when something just don’t smell right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT