ADVERTISEMENT

GW at Dinwiddie

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Dinwiddie is excited to start their season off by hosting GW. (I hope we feel as excited after the game, but this is why we let the kids settle it!)

I just wanted to share a little information with the fans from Danville making the trip.

First, you will see that there are two different routes you can take. One is to follow 58 until you pick up I85 in South Hill. This is a slightly faster route. If you take this route, when you get off of 85 at Dinwiddie, there is a nice place to eat soon after you take the exit. The Dinwiddie Diner is operated by members of the family that operates the legendary Giuseppe's Italian Resturant, a favorite of football fans from everywhere.

The other route, (which is my preference), is to pick up 360 in South Boston, and then take 460. There are two distinct advantages to going this way. One is, you only have to make one turn. You just need to take a right off of 460 onto Courthouse Road and your next turn is into the parking lot at the field.

But, by far, the best reason to go this way is so you can stop at Richlands Creamery.

http://www.richlandscreamery.com/the-creamery/

If anyone says there is better ice cream anywhere in the world, they are wrong. Richlands Dairy, a family farm, opened this creamery to help assure that their family can continue to operate as a dairy farm for generations to come. And oh my goodness, did the ever get it right. You can't get ice cream any fresher. You can stand at the window while you eat your ice cream, and watch the cows graze that helped produce your treat.

So leave a few minutes early for the game, stop and enjoy a wonderful experience, and help support a local farm family.

When you get to Dinwiddie High School, be aware that the football stadium is behind the Middle School. The Middle School is the old high school. There is plenty of parking behind the Middle School, and the High School which is directly across Courthouse Road, is used for overflow parking.

Dinwiddie has very nice, modern restrooms, and an excellent concession facility. The visitors bleachers are "adaquate". We wish they sat up higher to provide a better view..., but maybe one day.

There is an easily accessible viewing area on the Dinwiddie side for use by those that are in a wheelchair. The restrooms are handicap accessible. The visitors side does not have an elevated area that is handicap accessible. We apologize for this, and hopefully the entire visitors side will be upgraded in the not too distant future.

Feel free to reach out to me here on Virginia Preps if I can be of assistance. And after you arrive at the stadium, if I can be of help, I'm always in or around the press booth.

Safe Travels!!!

Dinwiddie is excited to start their season off by hosting GW. (I hope we feel as excited after the game, but this is why we let the kids settle it!)

I just wanted to share a little information with the fans from Danville making the trip.

First, you will see that there are two different routes you can take. One is to follow 58 until you pick up I85 in South Hill. This is a slightly faster route. If you take this route, when you get off of 85 at Dinwiddie, there is a nice place to eat soon after you take the exit. The Dinwiddie Diner is operated by members of the family that operates the legendary Giuseppe's Italian Resturant, a favorite of football fans from everywhere.

The other route, (which is my preference), is to pick up 360 in South Boston, and then take 460. There are two distinct advantages to going this way. One is, you only have to make one turn. You just need to take a right off of 460 onto Courthouse Road and your next turn is into the parking lot at the field.

But, by far, the best reason to go this way is so you can stop at Richlands Creamery.

http://www.richlandscreamery.com/the-creamery/

If anyone says there is better ice cream anywhere in the world, they are wrong. Richlands Dairy, a family farm, opened this creamery to help assure that their family can continue to operate as a dairy farm for generations to come. And oh my goodness, did the ever get it right. You can't get ice cream any fresher. You can stand at the window while you eat your ice cream, and watch the cows graze that helped produce your treat.

So leave a few minutes early for the game, stop and enjoy a wonderful experience, and help support a local farm family.

When you get to Dinwiddie High School, be aware that the football stadium is behind the Middle School. The Middle School is the old high school. There is plenty of parking behind the Middle School, and the High School which is directly across Courthouse Road, is used for overflow parking.

Dinwiddie has very nice, modern restrooms, and an excellent concession facility. The visitors bleachers are "adaquate". We wish they sat up higher to provide a better view..., but maybe one day.

There is an easily accessible viewing area on the Dinwiddie side for use by those that are in a wheelchair. The restrooms are handicap accessible. The visitors side does not have an elevated area that is handicap accessible. We apologize for this, and hopefully the entire visitors side will be upgraded in the not too distant future.

Feel free to reach out to me here on Virginia Preps if I can be of assistance. And after you arrive at the stadium, if I can be of help, I'm always in or around the press booth.

Safe Travels!!!
I need directions from Midlothian

And...not a bad seat in the house...and even more perplexing - winning or losing - some of the nicest people you will ever meet in the state of Virginia call Dinwiddie home.

Safe travels everyone and more importantly, I hope that the kids come out injury free.

Please be sure to stop by the press booth Tommy. Navy and I are always close by and would love to meet you.

Thank you, GWB. Mighty nice of you to say that. Hopefully we can cross paths somewhere during the season.

Please be sure to stop by the press booth Tommy. Navy and I are always close by and would love to meet you.

Thank you, GWB. Mighty nice of you to say that. Hopefully we can cross paths somewhere during the season.

Given the train wreck situation that we are about to endure Season 2....I may be needing a new home town team. Don't be surprised to see me...I do like the color Navy. LOL!

You are always welcome at our house.

Here's hoping that they got the train back on the tracks, and the steam pressure is coming up.

Reactions: moto138
This is a very intriguing match up. I asked GW fans how they felt about the season and I got no response. How do you feel about the game? Dinwiddie Proud and Bleeding Navy?

This is a very intriguing match up. I asked GW fans how they felt about the season and I got no response. How do you feel about the game? Dinwiddie Proud and Bleeding Navy?
I don't think anyone knows what to expect with it being the 1st game. GW returns a lot of talent from a team that went 8-3 last year. Dinwiddie is a little younger this year than last, if I understand correctly, and they were 11-2 last year. The game is at Dinwiddie, which is a tough place to get a win for visiting teams. Not knowing much other than that I would say Dinwiddie is a slight favorite imo.

Reactions: ForTheKidz
I have always had a ton of respect for the GW Danville program and I still do. Mills always has our guys ready to play; however, based on our inexperience in key places and reports of GW's mad talent I am not too optimistic.

On a good note, we don't lose often at our field. Since 2013 we have one home playoff loss (Louisa 2017) and 4 regular season losses. They include: Thomas Dale (2014), Monacan (2014), Hanover (2015), and Hopewell (2018). Not sure stats mean anything, but Navy Nation can be a factor.

Our first three games (GW, North Stafford, and Massaponnax) will be a hard row to hoe. Hopefully our super tough scrimmages: EC Glass & Fleming and LC Bird & Henrico will prepare us for GW Danvilles big line and running back depth.

Sorry @ForTheKidz if you were looking for smack talk it's not coming.

Edit: Sorry Mike. I must have been typing when you posted your comment.

Reactions: mike salem
I have always had a ton of respect for the GW Danville program and I still do. Mills always has our guys ready to play; however, based on our inexperience in key places and reports of GW's mad talent I am not too optimistic.

On a good note, we don't lose often at our field. Since 2013 we have one home playoff loss (Louisa 2017) and 4 regular season losses. They include: Thomas Dale (2014), Monacan (2014), Hanover (2015), and Hopewell (2018). Not sure stats mean anything, but Navy Nation can be a factor.

Our first three games (GW, North Stafford, and Massaponnax) will be a hard row to hoe. Hopefully our super tough scrimmages: EC Glass & Fleming and LC Bird & Henrico will prepare us for GW Danvilles big line and running back depth.

Sorry @ForTheKidz if you were looking for smack talk it's not coming.

Edit: Sorry Mike. I must have been typing when you posted your comment.
No one was trying to start any trash talk. Wanted some feedback on GW's season outlook from their fans and how they/Dinwiddie felt about the match-up. Not a politically correct and sarcastic response. If I had to pick I'd give Dinwiddie the edge. GW has a lot of talent but they just does not perform in the big games.

Reactions: NDRam
I don't think anyone knows what to expect with it being the 1st game. GW returns a lot of talent from a team that went 8-3 last year. Dinwiddie is a little younger this year than last, if I understand correctly, and they were 11-2 last year. The game is at Dinwiddie, which is a tough place to get a win for visiting teams. Not knowing much other than that I would say Dinwiddie is a slight favorite imo.
After seeing GW's performance the last couple of times against good programs in Salem, Pulaski, Charlotte Vance, and EC Glass, they are 0-6 in the past 4 years. Hard not to pick Dinwiddie.

Reactions: mike salem
No one was trying to start any trash talk. Wanted some feedback on GW's season outlook from their fans and how they/Dinwiddie felt about the match-up. Not a politically correct and sarcastic response. If I had to pick I'd give Dinwiddie the edge. GW has a lot of talent but they just does not perform in the big games.
Knowing @BleedingNavy I know he wasn't trying to stir anything up. He gave the same basic answer as I did with a little more detail. I think like all of us, he doesn't really know what the outcome of the game will be. GW has great talent and Dinwiddie is a little bit younger this year. GW hasn't won recently in big games and Dinwiddie is tough to beat at home. I don't think he was being politically correct, just really don't know how to read this game 1 matchup.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
The Eagles will certainly be bigger this year. Lots of experience on the O-line. Physically this will be the biggest flock of Eagles we've had since our 1994 state runner-up year.

The Eagles return their top two rushers and top receiver, but will be breaking in a new QB. I've never been there, but I suspect Dinwiddie is NOT the ideal place and team to start your first high school game.

On defense, the secondary looks stout, the front line is mostly set, but the linebackers will be 100% new. That's an issue.

And yes, ForTheKidz makes a fair point in that our record in recent years against elite teams has been poor. This is a barrier we MUST overcome if we are to take the next step.

That having been said, I am VERY excited for this game. When paired with Glass, Amherst and JF, I'm not sure how GW's non-district slate could be any better. We have to go strong out of district because the Piedmont is not going to help us get ready for the playoffs.

Dinwiddle has been one of the consistent powerhouses of Division four and I've heard nothing but great things about their coach and fans. Plus, all of the Dinwiddie posters on this board have been some of the finest people.

Bleeding Navy said he would feed us in the Press Box. That alone is reason enough for optimism. :)

Knowing @BleedingNavy I know he wasn't trying to stir anything up. He gave the same basic answer as I did with a little more detail. I think like all of us, he doesn't really know what the outcome of the game will be. GW has great talent and Dinwiddie is a little bit younger this year. GW hasn't won recently in big games and Dinwiddie is tough to beat at home. I don't think he was being politically correct, just really don't know how to read this game 1 matchup.
"If you're looking for trash talk it's not coming."was an unnecessary statement. I know very little about Dinwiddie other than they are normally stout, but I am very familiar with the GW program, as I live outside the city of Danville and teach and coach in North Carolina. I am also fan of football and just wanted a good football conversation without the unnecessary drama like in the past. DSH used to keep the board up to date with GW football and was always optimistic about the team. Thank you @Chuck Vipperman (GW) for the response.

"If you're looking for trash talk it's not coming."was an unnecessary statement. I know very little about Dinwiddie other than they are normally stout, but I am very familiar with the GW program, as I live outside the city of Danville and teach and coach in North Carolina. I am also fan of football and just wanted a good football conversation without the unnecessary drama like in the past. DSH used to keep the board up to date with GW football and was always optimistic about the team. Thank you @Chuck Vipperman (GW) for the response.
GW fans have been chastised for cheering on their teams in the past because of their recent playoff blonders. I’d think their fans are just laying low until the season actually starts. From what I’ve seen from Dinwiddie is they are smaller than normal but they will have a lot speed and power. Talent and experience wise, GW looks like a 2-3 score favorite.. However, GW’s recent abysmal play against quality opponents, I can see why Dinwiddie would be favored in a close one.

Ok let's just agree poor choice of words. There has been drama in the past. Let's all try to avoid that and move forward.

As far as the game goes, I think everyone close to the situation would just say this is probably a toss up. There is no history between these two teams and it's only game 1.

Personally, I would give a slight edge to Dinwiddie only because they are home.

Thank you for teaching and coaching children. It's a lot of work, not enough pay, and oftentimes goes unappreciated.

On thing is a fact, it will be a hell of a game. Two teams that are well coached, focused and disciplined, and well prepared. Plenty of talent on both teams. It really will boil down to execution and mistakes.
It will be about as exciting of a season opening game as you will find this year.

Hey Vipperman, we will certainly have something to eat. But unfortunately, this early in the season we keep it simple. Later on when it gets cooler, we really break out the good stuff. LOL, Navy beans, or Brunswick Stew is not real popular when it's stupid hot and humid.

Incidently, I just saw the 7 day forecast, and next Friday was somewhat cooler. Hopefully it's the start of a trend and by the following Friday it's more like real football weather.

I'm headed out to Lynchburg in the morning for our scrimmage against EC Glass and Fleming. If any of you GW fans decide to ride up, please seek me out and say hi.

Sorry about the delay in my response. I have been preparing ffg or my daughters wedding tomorrow.

@ForTheKidz, my statement was not intended to offend anyone. I just meant that as a Dinwiddie fan I would not talk smack. Maybe I just misinterpreted your intent. You stated GW fans didnt respond to you, so I thought you were fishing for some talk when you asked us to respond.

As far as being politically correct I am surely not that person. Never have and never will be. Best of luck to both teams and safe travels to all. @NDRam, I will not be surprised if GW wins this one, but I will be shocked if it's by 2-3 scores. Last time that occurred was in 2014 (LT).

I saw GW on film last year. Their talent was "solid" but not overwhelming. I saw them BARELY get a win against a very, very poor Halifax team. I have seen Dinwiddie and I honestly think Dinwiddie wins by multiple touchdowns. They play tougher competition and have over the years. They are faster imo and are much more physical. I think GW will struggle with them and I doubt they are within 2 Tds.

I saw GW on film last year. Their talent was "solid" but not overwhelming. I saw them BARELY get a win against a very, very poor Halifax team. I have seen Dinwiddie and I honestly think Dinwiddie wins by multiple touchdowns. They play tougher competition and have over the years. They are faster imo and are much more physical. I think GW will struggle with them and I doubt they are within 2 Tds.
:rolleyes:

Yeah, the “talent & experience shows GW as a 2-3 score favorite” comment had me laughing. Maybe GW is different now, but I can’t see them beating Dinwiddie at all, definitely not by 2-3 scores.

Yeah, the “talent & experience shows GW as a 2-3 score favorite” comment had me laughing. Maybe GW is different now, but I can’t see them beating Dinwiddie at all, definitely not by 2-3 scores.
Dinwiddie has 1 D1 kid on the team with only 10 starters returning and GW has 5 D1/D2 guys with 18 returning starters. Don’t know what’s funny about that statement.

Reactions: WP02alum
I will also say congrats to the father of the bride, but more importantly to his daughter and new husband.

Now to be funny, since Navy is the father of the bride, is DP the grandfather of the bride or the brother of the bride haha
Well whenever they aren't talking about football they're always talking about their experiences during the Great War (WWI) & living during the Great Depression. So I guess that means they're both pretty old! :D

Actually, I'm the employer of the bride's husband. Poor kid doesn't have much wiggle room. If he screws up at work, I'm all over him. If he screws away from work, Navy has it covered.

The good news is that he is a good kid and will be an outstanding husband. And Navy's daughter is equally as special of a person. They have a bright future.

I'm glad Navy only has the one daughter. I'm not sure if the ole boy's heart could stand marrying off a second one.

Hey, I see one of my favorites is back. I was wondering how you have been doing 1Gensfan. I hope all has been good with you and the family? I'm looking forward to seeing you at the first game. I hope you can make it Thursday for the scrimmage. I'm a little concerned about the weather for that evening. 60% chance of storms.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Actually, I'm the employer of the bride's husband. Poor kid doesn't have much wiggle room. If he screws up at work, I'm all over him. If he screws away from work, Navy has it covered.

The good news is that he is a good kid and will be an outstanding husband. And Navy's daughter is equally as special of a person. They have a bright future.

I'm glad Navy only has the one daughter. I'm not sure if the ole boy's heart could stand marrying off a second one.
And his wallet.

Hey, I see one of my favorites is back. I was wondering how you have been doing 1Gensfan. I hope all has been good with you and the family? I'm looking forward to seeing you at the first game. I hope you can make it Thursday for the scrimmage. I'm a little concerned about the weather for that evening. 60% chance of storms.
I am mostly here for football. I come and go throughout the off season but I stay quiet. Huge Congratulations for @BleedingNavy and his family. Hope to be there thursday if work will allow it but I know I will be there to see the GW game. I think it will be a good one. Look forward to meeting some of the good people of Danville as well.

I didnt even ask how you've been this off season @DinwiddieProud. Hope to see you soon

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
You guys are too funny. Just a piece of advice for other fathers who have daughters. Let them elope! The pain I endured Saturday was unreal. I thought it would take a severe butt whipping or pepper spray in my eyes to get me to ball, but I went through three tissues in ten seconds and that was just carrying her wedding dress to the car before the service. I told my friends before I got to the car I passed my trash bin. I almost threw the dress in one of the cans on my way by.

Oh well, its time for football. Hope we play a sound game against GW Danville. I would like to be there when a team I am affiliated with gets a win over GW. We (Patrick Henry-Roanoke) never beat GW while I was in high school. Its not going to be an easy task, but I am encouraged by some of the feedback I received on the scrimmage.

Sounds like EC Glass is a very talented team. I expected as much. There skill players (qb, rb and wr's) are reportedly sound and the defensive obviously has some ballers. Good luck to the Hilltoppers this season.

@NDRam, as long as I can remember (1972) GW has always put top talent on the field. Honestly, I don't think you need to even attempt to justify anything. Most of the posters on here would love to have the talent coming out of Danville. Has it always resulted in success? No, but GW has achieved success in the past and will do so again. Who knows why they have faltered recently in the playoffs, but since realignment (2013) their overall record is fantastic(57-14 .802). Sure GW's small contingent of fans on this forum may get a little excited or bias at times, but so do the rest of us.

I used to hold Salem fans (Mike, Freeatlast, Southbottom, SpartanofYore and Threeputt) in disdain for appearing to obnoxiously talk about their team even to the point of discussing what color underwear Coach Mags wore on a given night (lol), but I have learned to respect the passion they have for their beloved Spartans. The cool thing is we are all able to have fun discussing football and thanks to VAPreps its free.

Be proud @NDRam talk the talk and get hyped its going down real soon! Win or lose its going to be a fun one.

Last edited:
You guys are too funny. Just a piece of advice for other fathers who have daughters. Let them elope! The pain I endured Saturday was unreal. I thought it would take a severe butt whipping or pepper spray in my eyes to get me to ball, but I went through three tissues in ten seconds and that was just carrying her weeding dress to the car before the service. I told my friends before I got to the car I passed my trash bin. I almost threw the dress in one of the cans on my way by.

Oh well, its time for football. Hope we play a sound game against GW Danville. I would like to be there when a team I am affiliated with gets a win over GW. We (Patrick Henry-Roanoke) never beat GW while I was in high school. Its not going to be an easy task, but I am encouraged by some of the feedback I received on the scrimmage.

Sounds like EC Glass is a very talented team. I expected as much. There skill players (qb, rb and wr's) are reportedly sound and the defensive obviously has some ballers. Good luck to the Hilltoppers this season.

@NDRam, as long as I can remember (1972) GW has always put top talent on the field. Honestly, I don't think you need to even attempt to justify anything. Most of the posters on here would love to have the talent coming out of Danville. Has it always resulted in success? No, but GW has achieved success in the past and will do so again. Who knows why they have faltered recently in the playoffs, but since realignment (2013) their overall record is fantastic(57-14 .802). Sure GW's small contingent of fans on this forum may get a little excited or bias at times, but so do the rest of us.

I used to hold Salem fans (Mike, Freeatlast, Southbottom, SpartanofYore and Threeputt) in disdain for appearing to obnoxiously talk about their team even to the point of discussing what color underwear Coach Mags wore on a given night (lol), but I have learned to respect the passion they have for their beloved Spartans. The cool thing is we are all able to have fun discussing football and thanks to VAPreps its free.

Be proud @NDRam talk the talk and get hyped its going down real soon! Win or lose its going to be a fun one.
I saw Coach Mags on Wed at the JV scrimmage. I asked him how he was doing and he said he was doing pretty good, but it was weird for him seeing the team from the stands. I guess with all of his coaching (position, asst, and head coach) at Glenvar, Hidden Valley, and Salem, he's invested 23 yrs on the sideline. (Not to mention his playing time)

I told him I was glad to see him retire, not because he couldn't do an amazing job, but because he has invested so much of himself for so many years. I told him I was surprised he hadn't stepped away earlier with all of the demands that coaching puts on a person and their families.

We both graduated the same year, so he has invested over half his life to coaching. I thank him and all of the coaches, teachers, and administrative staff, who dedicate themselves to children's education and upbringing. They play a major role in shaping our communities.

I didn't think to ask him about his choice of underwear, maybe in our next conversation, haha.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT