ADVERTISEMENT

GW-Danville @ Dinwiddie CCD

Here is how I see it.

When the rules were adopted concerning situations where forfeitures may be necessary, it was probably thought that less than a half dozen games a year may may be affected. That is six out of approximately 4000 games a year. In nobodies wildest dreams did anyone contemplate what has occurred. We have averaged around 20 games a week that have been postponed, rescheduled, or cancelled. Instead of six games, now your are looking at more than 200 this year.

I personally believe that the forfeiture rules were put into place as a form of punishment for not making a good faith effort to play a game.

Does it seem fair to punish a school by making them take a forfeiture loss because of COVID?

Doesn’t it make a lot more sense to allow two schools to simply reach an agreement to call a game a no contest? No harm, no foul.

Most, if not all of these schools that declared a COVID pause, were doing exactly as they had been instructed. Test, trace, and promptly react to COVID or even possible COVID. Is it fair to punish the kids even further, after they have already lost the opportunity to play one or more games by hanging a loss on them?

Are some schools manipulating the “flexibility” the League is permitting to their advantage. Sure they are. But to me, this is a small price to pay so that hundreds of kids are not punished because of no fault of their own.

Is the latitude the VHSL has extended a perfect answer? Of course not. But remember this as you pass judgement. We, all of us, are living in unprecedented times. All of the answers are not cut and dry. Nobody is so clairvoyant that they could anticipate what problems would occur and have the answers. Therefore, we are all learning on the fly. Certainly stumbling occasionally. The VHSL is no different. In spite of what is often said, the people at the VHSL office put the students first and foremost in their decision making. And this situation is an example of just that.
I understand where both schools are coming from. The rule was put in so teams can't effect the ratings after they come out. Blacksburg high school just forfeited the Salem game for next Tuesday. This game also had been moved do to Covid. Why do they forfeit then? The only difference is Blacksburg has no chance to make the playoffs. Just so happens GW/Dinwiddie can't afford a loss due to their current ratings. I'm sure they would love to play the game but circumstances didn't allow it.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I really believe, I know, GW was looking forward to the challenge of Dinwiddie. The game would have been a good barometer for playoff performance for both teams. The fact that it is now a no contest is somewhat coincidental.

I think the bigger question is how the GW game w Tunstall will be handled. Still no official word on the street that I’m aware. Tentatively scheduled for next Wednesday so time is short.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I really believe, I know, GW was looking forward to the challenge of Dinwiddie. The game would have been a good barometer for playoff performance for both teams. The fact that it is now a no contest is somewhat coincidental.

I think the bigger question is how the GW game w Tunstall will be handled. Still no official word on the street that I’m aware. Tentatively scheduled for next Wednesday so time is short.
GW will be better off trying to find another team to play. Tunstall has no intentions on playing GW. Schools are 7 miles apart, you either playing or you’re not. It is what it is with Dinwiddie. Game was moved 3 times and I never thought they were going to play. It’s like a Jack leg mechanic. Said it would be about $80 on the quote, he’s taking 5 days to do a 2 day job and tells you it’s gonna be $250, a week and a half goes by, he still hasn’t started on it and now said it’s gonna be $700. That’s what this “game“ was.

GW will be better off trying to find another team to play. Tunstall has no intentions on playing GW. Schools are 7 miles apart, you either playing or you’re not. It is what it is with Dinwiddie. Game was moved 3 times and I never thought they were going to play. It’s like a Jack leg mechanic. Said it would be about $80 on the quote, he’s taking 5 days to do a 2 day job and tells you it’s gonna be $250, a week and a half goes by, he still hasn’t started on it and now said it’s gonna be $700. That’s what this “game“ was.
Tunstall will go the route as Blacksburg. The Blacksburg Forfeit only lowered Salem's ratings from 28.1428 to 27.6250

Last edited:
Tunstall will go the route as Blacksburg. The Blacksburg Forfeit only lowered Salem's ratings from 28.1428 to 27.6250
It’s only right and fair. Hate that things are resorting to teams just throwing in the towel and forfeiting. Just teaching our kids to give up and not even try/compete.

Here is how I see it.

When the rules were adopted concerning situations where forfeitures may be necessary, it was probably thought that less than a half dozen games a year may may be affected. That is six out of approximately 4000 games a year. In nobodies wildest dreams did anyone contemplate what has occurred. We have averaged around 20 games a week that have been postponed, rescheduled, or cancelled. Instead of six games, now your are looking at more than 200 this year.

I personally believe that the forfeiture rules were put into place as a form of punishment for not making a good faith effort to play a game.

Does it seem fair to punish a school by making them take a forfeiture loss because of COVID?

Doesn’t it make a lot more sense to allow two schools to simply reach an agreement to call a game a no contest? No harm, no foul.

Most, if not all of these schools that declared a COVID pause, were doing exactly as they had been instructed. Test, trace, and promptly react to COVID or even possible COVID. Is it fair to punish the kids even further, after they have already lost the opportunity to play one or more games by hanging a loss on them?

Are some schools manipulating the “flexibility” the League is permitting to their advantage. Sure they are. But to me, this is a small price to pay so that hundreds of kids are not punished because of no fault of their own.

Is the latitude the VHSL has extended a perfect answer? Of course not. But remember this as you pass judgement. We, all of us, are living in unprecedented times. All of the answers are not cut and dry. Nobody is so clairvoyant that they could anticipate what problems would occur and have the answers. Therefore, we are all learning on the fly. Certainly stumbling occasionally. The VHSL is no different. In spite of what is often said, the people at the VHSL office put the students first and foremost in their decision making. And this situation is an example of just that.
Why is Dinwiddie and GW not playing on Monday? Covid?

There is a post, literally in this Class 4 forum, of 8 games in the RVA area being played tonight (Thursday). Not sure about Saturday, other classes, or other areas.

So did someone just suggest that GW & Dinwiddie play each other on the Tuesday before the first round on Friday? That would be great for whoever they play in first round as they would have 2 days to prepare. Surely you weren't serious.

So did someone just suggest that GW & Dinwiddie play each other on the Tuesday before the first round on Friday? That would be great for whoever they play in first round as they would have 2 days to prepare. Surely you weren't serious.
Yep very serious. Most first round games are won by 35 pts for state contenders

Wasn't that long ago you played the games no matter the weather. Only lightning stopped the game.
I’ve played in the snow and rain. Let’s blame it on the field and drainage. Dinwiddie has two fields.

Reactions: SFUWO
I don't think GW avoids playing games but this one should have already been played. Lots of rumors about how bad Covid wasn't at THS when "they" decided to not play on GW's homecoming.

Pretty sure most on here realize everyone has a Tunstall or two in their district. I also agree with you about injuries but if a no contest doesn't hurt you, and you can avoid the risk of injury to key guys, why play? This is especially true if you have to come off a physical game two days before. Playing next Wednesday was going to follow Dinwiddie on Monday. Now it could possibly follow Magna Vista if that game gets pushed back due to weather. Just saying. Now, if the VHSL and/or the region says it must be played, it will be played. Ain't nobody at GW scared to play THS.

Finally, Tunstall might should be the one worried about the injuries. GW won't be happy.
My understanding of the Tunstall situation that week was they had enough to play except on the offensive line. They were missing multiple starters and backups due to covid. Most college conferences last year had a rule about needing a certain number of scholarship players at each position in order to play a game. Tunstall would've fallen below that number. They would've had to put people on the offensive line who had never played there before. It's a dangerous situation if the people protecting the QB/RB have no idea what they're doing. And those were the kids that would've had to block GW's stud DT.

It’s dangerous in major college football. Not so much in HS football where almost every kid studies and plays multiple positions. It’s a learning environment. Total # of players is all I think matters. The level of minutiae needed to justify the circumstance is kinda lame.

Tunstall could easily call some JV linemen up. It’s not like it’s going to make a difference in the outcome. Tunstall has always made lame excuses and complained about playing bigger schools. Hopefully DaMarcus Morrison can change that culture out there. I expect that from Tunstall, Dinwiddie is a huge disappointment. Hopefully Varina and KG sends them packing.

Reactions: WP02alum
For those that have concerns about the cancellation of the GW at Dinwiddie game, I encourage you to email the Dinwiddie AD, Brad Adkins, or Head Coach Billy Mills and ask your questions and express your concerns. Their email addresses are readily available on the Dinwiddie County High School web site. Also, the AD at GW is a very respected and honest person, so I suggest that you reach out to him for additional information concerning the mutual decision to cancel the game.

For those that have concerns about the cancellation of the GW at Dinwiddie game, I encourage you to email the Dinwiddie AD, Brad Adkins, or Head Coach Billy Mills and ask your questions and express your concerns. Their email addresses are readily available on the Dinwiddie County High School web site. Also, the AD at GW is a very respected and honest person, so I suggest that you reach out to him for additional information concerning the mutual decision to cancel the game.
I'm fine with a no contest as long as other teams can do the same thing. Ex) Salem vs Blacksburg. Possibly GW vs Tunstall. My only concern is missing a good game. Isn't the AD new for GW?

I'm fine with a no contest as long as other teams can do the same thing. Ex) Salem vs Blacksburg. Possibly GW vs Tunstall. My only concern is missing a good game. Isn't the AD new for GW?
Not sure. If so, I had met the previous one and I was impressed.

I call it like I see it. Dinwiddie ducked. They played last night& their posters can post all the excuses and contact information they want. PH, Varina, King George all better teams and will send them home.

GW had a lackluster game last night. Have to tighten up a lot of things. They’re going home with Dinwiddie early too if they don’t get it together.

• Haha
Reactions: 1Gensfan
I call it like I see it. Dinwiddie ducked. They played last night& their posters can post all the excuses and contact information they want. PH, Varina, King George all better teams and will send them home.

GW had a lackluster game last night. Have to tighten up a lot of things. They’re going home with Dinwiddie early too if they don’t get it together.
Hard disagree, Bo. Dinwiddie is an honorable program that doesn't "duck" anyone.

If all goes well, maybe we get to play in December. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT