ADVERTISEMENT

GW-Danville @ Dinwiddie CCD

The max points I did for GW just took a big hit.

Word is Dinwiddie had to move Meadowbrook
To Saturday because of potentially bad weather
Friday

GW game is definite cancelled. Decided that it is simply a “no contest.”
Meadowbrook game is still Friday night at this time. The weather is being watched closely, though.

FClLd73WEAwf_JF

Correct MH. Heard from a source at MV that they let GW know yesterday that was their plan. It is Sr. night for them. That has to be part of the reason for GW and Dinwiddie game becoming a no contest.

From what I can tell, games that are declared no contest do not hurt a team's rating. If that is true GW should seek to declare the Tunstall game a no contest. They would gain little if anything by playing it and also risk someone getting hurt the week before the playoffs.

Correct MH. Heard from a source at MV that they let GW know yesterday that was their plan. It is Sr. night for them. That has to be part of the reason for GW and Dinwiddie game becoming a no contest.

From what I can tell, games that are declared no contest do not hurt a team's rating. If that is true GW should seek to declare the Tunstall game a no contest. They would gain little if anything by playing it and also risk someone getting hurt the week before the playoffs.
The problem with the Tunstall game is it is a district game. They should have to play it. Dinwiddie was a non-district game so it ca be declared a no contest. I don't think the Region will allow them to do a non contest. If anything one team will have to forfeit and that will effect the ratings way more than just playing the game.

In the case of Tunstall, who is bad, which way would favor GW the most. Playing it and winning or taking a forfeit?

In the case of Tunstall, who is bad, which way would favor GW the most. Playing it and winning or taking a forfeit?
There is no difference. A no contest would benefit them as they are looking to average around 31 power points on the season. Tunstall gives them 24, maybe 26, so it takes their average down. I believe this happened with Lafayette a few years back trying to determine homefield for a play-off game. There was a Class 2 team that wouldn't play the Class 4 teams in their district. Lafayette wanted it as a no contest to improve their points standing.
A no contest can hurt your rating if you were going to win against a team that gives you more points than you average without them.
If GW were going to beat Dinwiddie it would give them 40 points which would increase their average. A loss would have been worth 22 points and lowered their average.

That makes sense. Too bad a win after being forced to play a team like Tunstall could hurt their ranking.

So is it a definite that GW play that game?

That makes sense. Too bad a win after being forced to play a team like Tunstall could hurt their ranking.

You are not being forced to play the game. You play them every year. Why not play them? The goal is to play football games right. Get game reps in and then get your backups game reps. Your already down one game. Or one team can take a forfeit. I don't think they will get the no contest unless someone can't safely play due to Covid. Either way I would want my team to play as many games possible. Injuries happen in practice just about as much in games. That should not even be a part of the discussion.

All teams have one or 2 Tunstalls on their schedule. Mute point

Reactions: VHSL-helper
I don't think GW avoids playing games but this one should have already been played. Lots of rumors about how bad Covid wasn't at THS when "they" decided to not play on GW's homecoming.

Pretty sure most on here realize everyone has a Tunstall or two in their district. I also agree with you about injuries but if a no contest doesn't hurt you, and you can avoid the risk of injury to key guys, why play? This is especially true if you have to come off a physical game two days before. Playing next Wednesday was going to follow Dinwiddie on Monday. Now it could possibly follow Magna Vista if that game gets pushed back due to weather. Just saying. Now, if the VHSL and/or the region says it must be played, it will be played. Ain't nobody at GW scared to play THS.

Finally, Tunstall might should be the one worried about the injuries. GW won't be happy.

I don't think GW avoids playing games but this one should have already been played. Lots of rumors about how bad Covid wasn't at THS when "they" decided to not play on GW's homecoming.

Heard a similar rumor about another area team doing this, idk enough about Tunstall but I definitely think this other team did it to duck a beating.

Pretty sure most on here realize everyone has a Tunstall or two in their district. I also agree with you about injuries but if a no contest doesn't hurt you, and you can avoid the risk of injury to key guys, why play? This is especially true if you have to come off a physical game two days before. Playing next Wednesday was going to follow Dinwiddie on Monday. Now it could possibly follow Magna Vista if that game gets pushed back due to weather. Just saying. Now, if the VHSL and/or the region says it must be played, it will be played. Ain't nobody at GW scared to play THS.

Finally, Tunstall might should be the one worried about the injuries. GW won't be happy.
Plenty of teams are playing 3 games in a weeks span. Here is what I found in the VHSL handbook.

Schools who experience an opponent canceling a game have the options of
receiving a forfeit for that game, scheduling another opponent, or declaring a nine-game
schedule. After the official release of the initial power ratings, schools who experience an
opponent canceling a game will only have the options of receiving a forfeit for that game or
scheduling another opponent.
68-3-2 All make-up games must be concluded by Tuesday preceding the first regional
play-off date. Games not concluded by that day will be counted as a loss for both teams.
If two schools cannot agree on a make-up date, the VHSL Executive Director shall set the
date. A school may choose to forfeit only if approved by the VHSL Executive Director.

After reading this there should not be a no contest game in the first place. Also I remember several yrs back Carroll Co was supposed to play at Salem. The game never happened and both teams were looking at a forfeit if it was not played by the Tuesday before the first regional game. Carroll Co finally forfeited the game.

Heard a similar rumor about another area team doing this, idk enough about Tunstall but I definitely think this other team did it to duck a beating.
I doubt GW is ducking Tunstall. I think they need this game as a tune up for the playoffs. It will more than likely be a forfeit by Tunstall.

Defiantly don't think GW is scared to play Tunstall. By rule somebody should have forfeited the Dinwiddie/ GW game and any game not played should a forfeit.

Reactions: redzone4us
If I'm reading this right it means Dinwiddie/GW can not be a no contest.
Exactly! Unless they are trying to say the initial game date is what they are using. Only problem is that the game was rescheduled and cancelled after ratings came out. Good ol' VHSL

I doubt GW is ducking Tunstall. I think they need this game as a tune up for the playoffs. It will more than likely be a forfeit by Tunstall.

The other person was implying the opposite, that Tunstall tried to duck GW, and I added an anecdote about a similar situation.

Looks like it doesn't matter as long as Tunstall forfeits to GW.

from the VHSL handbook
68-4-6 (5) A forfeiture shall be counted as a game won by the team receiving the forfeit,
and as a game lost by the team forfeiting.

Since I was lost to begin with I'm not going to make many more comments on this subject after this post but if 9 games are necessary then Tunstall would be GW's 9th game.

I did some asking around and heard that Dinwiddie mutually agreed to the no contest. They really believe they may end up playing Saturday and thought coming right back on Monday wouldn't be good. Also, if GW and MV can't play Friday they had already decided to play Monday. Dinwiddie knows the district game would take precedent.

Not sure how the regional champions are seeded and there are a lot of hurdles for this to happen but maybe the 3rd time will be the charm and these two will meet for a state championship or a shot at it.

Reactions: SFUWO
GW lost a good homecoming gate when Tunstall canceled. The Bassett game would have been a big draw without homecoming.

Since I was lost to begin with I'm not going to make many more comments on this subject after this post but if 9 games are necessary then Tunstall would be GW's 9th game.

I did some asking around and heard that Dinwiddie mutually agreed to the no contest. They really believe they may end up playing Saturday and thought coming right back on Monday wouldn't be good. Also, if GW and MV can't play Friday they had already decided to play Monday. Dinwiddie knows the district game would take precedent.

Not sure how the regional champions are seeded and there are a lot of hurdles for this to happen but maybe the 3rd time will be the charm and these two will meet for a state championship or a shot at it.
I'm not sure if they can mutually agree to a no contest according to the handbook. In the end one of the teams may have to forfeit. I understand the situation but if one AD from either region is a squeaky wheel. VHSL might step in. This one game would have a huge effect in the ratings in both regions.

Here is how I see it.

When the rules were adopted concerning situations where forfeitures may be necessary, it was probably thought that less than a half dozen games a year may may be affected. That is six out of approximately 4000 games a year. In nobodies wildest dreams did anyone contemplate what has occurred. We have averaged around 20 games a week that have been postponed, rescheduled, or cancelled. Instead of six games, now your are looking at more than 200 this year.

I personally believe that the forfeiture rules were put into place as a form of punishment for not making a good faith effort to play a game.

Does it seem fair to punish a school by making them take a forfeiture loss because of COVID?

Doesn’t it make a lot more sense to allow two schools to simply reach an agreement to call a game a no contest? No harm, no foul.

Most, if not all of these schools that declared a COVID pause, were doing exactly as they had been instructed. Test, trace, and promptly react to COVID or even possible COVID. Is it fair to punish the kids even further, after they have already lost the opportunity to play one or more games by hanging a loss on them?

Are some schools manipulating the “flexibility” the League is permitting to their advantage. Sure they are. But to me, this is a small price to pay so that hundreds of kids are not punished because of no fault of their own.

Is the latitude the VHSL has extended a perfect answer? Of course not. But remember this as you pass judgement. We, all of us, are living in unprecedented times. All of the answers are not cut and dry. Nobody is so clairvoyant that they could anticipate what problems would occur and have the answers. Therefore, we are all learning on the fly. Certainly stumbling occasionally. The VHSL is no different. In spite of what is often said, the people at the VHSL office put the students first and foremost in their decision making. And this situation is an example of just that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT