ADVERTISEMENT

GW players making some big visits

Any of them the QB? I had film of him last year - our common opponent first round game. He was long and very athletic. He really jumped out on film athletically. Not sure his year, etc. He was very impressive athletically on film.

Any of them the QB? I had film of him last year - our common opponent first round game. He was long and very athletic. He really jumped out on film athletically. Not sure his year, etc. He was very impressive athletically on film.

The Qb's name is Carlos Poole. He is a senior and Signed with ODU as a PWO.

The one that visited UNC-Charlotte in the post will be the QB this season. He played WR and wore #1.

gw should be better than last year. They really put a egg up and looked bad when i seen them in the playoffs. should have beat pulaski handedly with the guys they had. The defense and line play looked real good but the qb poole that sports head was high on just could not do it. I see that Graves, the edmunds kid, the Watlington brothers and the new qb Hairston are all back and are good athletes. they play Dinwiddie County, Forest and Glass so we will know how good they are.

Reactions: VolNation85
Congratulations on these guys getting visits. GW gets hyped up almost every year. Last year after having a record-breaking offensive year the year prior, they underwhelmed. Defense improved, while the offense regressed. I hope they bring it this year.

i am a dan river supporter and i can tell you they are not hyped up at all, all sorts of talent is in that program. they just lose focus in the big games. hopefully their hoops championship teaches them how to play in the big game. heard some of our guys are thinking about goin to play for the eagles since coach edmunds left. I hope it isnt true.

Reactions: lyhsports
With all the talent, I'd love to see them play in the Seminole. That way they have to bring it week in and week out. They would be playoff ready.
That’s a great idea! The Seminole definitely prepares teams for the playoff. Look at the run that Liberty-Bedford, Heritage, and Glass made last year.

Yes I would agree that they can be "messy" and no doubt under achieve. That was evident. Saw and broke down their game against a very, very BAD Halifax team. Very bad. GW struggled whole game and barely won the game. IMO not utilizing their talent and they should easily be winning all of their games against teams down there. Halifax had no business being in that game with them.

They had no business losing to franklin and forest either. My take is the poole kid at qb hurt them a lot last year. they had 3 nice runnings backs in the other poole, graves and edmunds and they let poole chuck 20-25 passes a game which his accuracy left a lot to be desired. not downing the kid but it is what it is. hopefully odu uses him right cause gw did not. i got danville going 9-1. i think dinwiddie county will give them a early l.

They had no business losing to franklin and forest either. My take is the poole kid at qb hurt them a lot last year. they had 3 nice runnings backs in the other poole, graves and edmunds and they let poole chuck 20-25 passes a game which his accuracy left a lot to be desired. not downing the kid but it is what it is. hopefully odu uses him right cause gw did not. i got danville going 9-1. i think dinwiddie county will give them a early l.

I got them going 8-2. Losses to Dinwiddie and Glass.

I got them going 8-2. Losses to Dinwiddie and Glass.
i got danville beating glass. After seeing glass and blacksburg, i don't put a lot of stock in glass, not that you can with danville either. danville returns a lot on defense and i think it'll be enough to beat the toppers.

i got danville beating glass. After seeing glass and blacksburg, i don't put a lot of stock in glass, not that you can with danville either. danville returns a lot on defense and i think it'll be enough to beat the toppers.
New year, new team for both. Plus, Glass had 6 starters out against Blacksburg so I wouldn't necessarily make a prediction for this year based off of last year. One thing for sure, it should be an entertaining game.

New year, new team for both. Plus, Glass had 6 starters out against Blacksburg so I wouldn't necessarily make a prediction for this year based off of last year. One thing for sure, it should be an entertaining game.
i def respect dat vols. i'm no danville fan like sports head to defend them but i know the eagles return a lot too. it will be a great game. glass and gw both underwhelmed with what they had last year. all that speed and size, i had one or the other representing in the finals.

I think that is selling blacksburg short. Blacksburg was legit and very well could have been the 2nd best team in 4a. Gw and glass had 3 common opponents last year (jf, fc, and halifax), gw lost 2 of those games and glass had a running clock against all 3 teams and blew them all out. With that said I am sure gw will be improved, every year they are built up in the offseason as a state contender. I know they are a quality program and will be up for the challenge. Glass is loaded next year especially along the olines and dlines plus return the dynamic duo of kendrick and foster. If gw beats glass then they will win states.

When was the last time GW won a playoff game? When was the last time they won a region? Just out of curiosity.

i am not sports head, does not matter a hill or bean to me. i see a lot of hype with glass. i am not seeling them short, blacksburg wiped them off the field. glass had talent but they were not ready for that stage. contain kendrick, you beat them. glass is not even the favorite for their district more or less the 4a so how gw beating them makes them state champs, idk. gw laid the wood on heritage the district champs the past two years, gw has barely won a playoff game.
I didn't see any vegas lines so I am not sure who the favorites happen to be. Blacksburg beat Glass and were the better team that night but who beat blacksburg? I am just stating that Glass will be a better team next year than they were this year. GW did not lay the wood on heritage they didn't play each other. (scrimmage means nothing) Glass could lose next year but make no mistake about it they are one of the favorites to win states.
Glass records under woody
1-9
6-4
8-4
11-2
I don't know seems like the program is headed in the right direction.

I didn't see any vegas lines so I am not sure who the favorites happen to be. Blacksburg beat Glass and were the better team that night but who beat blacksburg? I am just stating that Glass will be a better team next year than they were this year. GW did not lay the wood on heritage they didn't play each other. (scrimmage means nothing) Glass could lose next year but make no mistake about it they are one of the favorites to win states.
Glass records under woody
1-9
6-4
8-4
11-2
I don't know seems like the program is headed in the right direction.
35-14? bb blowout city. i can tell you, bb brings back some solid boys, pulaski is on the up and up, salem will be back stronger than most expect, and danville lost only 3 real contributors in the pooles and the elam kid. thats 4 damn good teams that could very well take the region before you crown glass.

35-14? bb blowout city. i can tell you, bb brings back some solid boys, pulaski is on the up and up, salem will be back stronger than most expect, and danville lost only 3 real contributors in the pooles and the elam kid. thats 4 damn good teams that could very well take the region before you crown glass.

I don't see that anyone anointed Glass as the winner of 4D.

i am not sports head, does not matter a hill or bean to me. i see a lot of hype with glass. i am not seeling them short, blacksburg wiped them off the field. glass had talent but they were not ready for that stage. contain kendrick, you beat them. glass is not even the favorite for their district more or less the 4a so how gw beating them makes them state champs, idk. gw laid the wood on heritage the district champs the past two years, gw has barely won a playoff game.

Never said that Glass was state champs by beating GW either. Heritage lost 20+ seniors from 2017 to last year. They had plenty to figure out in that scrimmage last year. Gw wouldn't beat Heritage in an actual game.

Reactions: MaroonandGold29
I think that is selling blacksburg short. Blacksburg was legit and very well could have been the 2nd best team in 4a. Gw and glass had 3 common opponents last year (jf, fc, and halifax), gw lost 2 of those games and glass had a running clock against all 3 teams and blew them all out. With that said I am sure gw will be improved, every year they are built up in the offseason as a state contender. I know they are a quality program and will be up for the challenge. Glass is loaded next year especially along the olines and dlines plus return the dynamic duo of kendrick and foster. If gw beats glass then they will win states.
@lyhsports there you go smart guy. like i said, glass hasn't done squat to be respected like that. I'm not sold on gw either and i'm certainly not sold on glass. next up

When was the last time GW won a playoff game? When was the last time they won a region? Just out of curiosity.

GW last won a regional football title in 1996. After 1996, the Eagles own a 8-17 playoff record, which includes one win later flipped to a loss by forfeit. Since dropping to 4A/Class 4 in 2013, GW’s playoff record is 5-6. Since 1996, the only year they’ve won more than one playoff game was 2014, when they won two.

Hopefully, this link will take you right to GW’s playoff record page on fourseasonsfootball:
http://fourseasonsfootball.com/va.html

EDIT: That link just takes you to the Virginia schools page. From there, click on the “GW Danville” link, then click on the “playoffs” tab at the bottom of GW’s page.

Reactions: MrSir#5
No disrespect but in 4a region d has been absolutely dominated by Salem and befor that Amherst. Salem is still the standard. Glass had a great season last year only losing to two teams. Heritage beat them by 3 and went on to win the state championship, Blacksburg beat them by 21 but if you were at the game you would have seen glass had the ball inside the 10 twice and Blacksburg made big stops. That kind of dictated the rest of the game. Not to say Glass would have won but the game should have been closer, plus Glass got hit hard by the injury bug and did not have the depth to overcome. Glass returns nearly every starter and added a big time transfer in 6’3 300 pound lineman from Amherst. They have a proven winner in hc Jeff Woody, so if u don’t think they are one of the favorites then you don’t know football. Nobody has anointed them state champions but if a team beats them then they are going to be very, very good.

You guys must know something about Dinwiddie that the General faithful do not. GW Danville should give us all we can handle and more if they have the studs you guys are speaking of. We lost our qb, best two running backs, 2 o lineman and top receiver on offense. On defense we once again are replacing our entire linebacking group. In all honesty our interior line play on both sides of the ball should be good. If we get sound qb play the Generals should compete for a top 4 spot in region b. Our first three games are brutal. GW Danville (5), North Stafford (5) and Massapponax (6). Cant afford to lose 2 or 3 with a tough district schedule facing us this year. Thomas Dale, Hopewell, and Petersburg are all going to be very good. Petersburg's Meziah Scott is one of the best qb's in the Richmond area and class 3.

Hopefully, we will scrimmage EC Glass again this year. It really helped our young defense and Kendrick is a sound test for any defense.

I would agree that Carlos Pooles passing accuracy hurt them a ton. Personally, I thought GW should have ran the ball more. They had and still have talent in the backfield.

I look for EC Glass to win D this year, but I do believe they get a challenge from Blacksburg and Salem. The Spartans should have more experience, but if they don't find receivers who can stretch the field, defending them, although always tough, will be a bit easier. Consistent quarterback play will also be important for the Spartans.

Blacksburg lost long time studs in Johnson and Terry. Still a ton on the farm to be competative. JF may be my sleeper if they can play some defense.

Last edited:
i saw on sports head page that gw's big 6'8 left tackle has an offer from william and mary and elon to make the thread back to gw players getting looks and offers. navy your assessment on the poole kid is right. kid didnt have it to lead them to the second round. over threw panicked and looked like a deer in head light. i know and like sports head but he was way high on that kid and put tooo much on his shoulders. dontt let that "hype" fool you, danville will give your boys all they can handle. i am looking forward to watching some good football this year.

i saw on sports head page that gw's big 6'8 left tackle has an offer from william and mary and elon to make the thread back to gw players getting looks and offers. navy your assessment on the poole kid is right. kid didnt have it to lead them to the second round. over threw panicked and looked like a deer in head light. i know and like sports head but he was way high on that kid and put tooo much on his shoulders. dontt let that "hype" fool you, danville will give your boys all they can handle. i am looking forward to watching some good football this year.
I’m looking forward to this year as well. I was shocked when Sportshead told me at a basketball game that that kid wasn’t playing football. Glad he’s going to now. Hasn’t even taken the field and he’s getting offers!

I’m looking forward to this year as well. I was shocked when Sportshead told me at a basketball game that that kid wasn’t playing football. Glad he’s going to now. Hasn’t even taken the field and he’s getting offers!
It is really hard for a player to contribute if he has never played football. I hope it works out well for the kid but very few players contribute their first year playing football, especially if they are ol and dl.

Reactions: falcettik
say what you want hilltoppers. kid is 6'8 over 300 pounds. can't teach size.
That is correct, high risk high reward. I have seen a lot kids with size get off the bus first and go to the sidelines and watch the games. Hope that is not the case, I hope the kid is a monster on the field.

True, can't teach size. That's why he is in intriguing prospect. I really hope Football works out for him. His size is giving him free college.
*Potentially giving him free college. These early offers that guys get prior to the start of senior year are only verbal offers. Colleges can and have the right to withdrawn an offer if something doesn't pan out prior to the student-athlete signing their National Letter of Intent. That includes academics, discipline issues, or just lack of production on the field.

Last edited:
*Potentially giving him free college. These early offers that guys get prior to the start of senior year are only verbal offers. Colleges can and have the right to withdrawn an offer if something doesn't pan out prior to the student-athlete signing their National Letter of Intent. That includes academics, discipline issues, or just lack of production on the field.
so that answers your question vols

No disrespect but in 4a region d has been absolutely dominated by Salem and befor that Amherst. Salem is still the standard. Glass had a great season last year only losing to two teams. Heritage beat them by 3 and went on to win the state championship, Blacksburg beat them by 21 but if you were at the game you would have seen glass had the ball inside the 10 twice and Blacksburg made big stops. That kind of dictated the rest of the game. Not to say Glass would have won but the game should have been closer, plus Glass got hit hard by the injury bug and did not have the depth to overcome. Glass returns nearly every starter and added a big time transfer in 6’3 300 pound lineman from Amherst. They have a proven winner in hc Jeff Woody, so if u don’t think they are one of the favorites then you don’t know football. Nobody has anointed them state champions but if a team beats them then they are going to be very, very good.

Glass will compete and be the team to beat in 4D and in at the state level. Too much experience and they have the X factor- Coach Woody. I think they will still have to play well but they certainly have the team to beat IMO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT