ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Anniversary to Mineral (sort of happy)

5 years ago today, you shook up the East Coast!!!:D
I remember that day. I was still in the Burg at the time. I had experienced earthquakes before in California. The people there were accustomed to it but I didn't like it at all and they happen all the time. It's the primary reason I didn't move to San Francisco (one of my favorite cities in the world).

But this was nothing like a San Francisco earthquake where you simply feel vibration. This one came through like a wave of thunder. Louder and louder. Ever increasing. Like being in the middle of an ordinance range at Quantico. And of course the shaking. It lasted less than a minute but DAMN. It is times like these or being in the Ocean during a storm that you realize we are nothing more than ants under a boot. Faced with your own insignificance can be cathartic.

In addition, the Louisa HS could not be occupied. The weight room could not be used. The field could not be played on. The entire area was devastated in one way or another.

But football is huge in Louisa. They were able to use the field for their first home game and the Lions came out like Lions. Probably no team in 4A could have beaten them that night and they kicked the butt of the #3 rated 4A team. Unfortunately, they were my Cougars, who simply met an unstoppable force. The Lions just ran behind Dennis Johns and Andre Mealy all night. The defense came like that earthquake wave.

Louisa couldn't keep that momentum for the season and my boys won the Regional Championship but these are the memories that earthquake churns up for me.

Last edited:
Louisadad, you traveling to Sherando Friday?
No disrespect but of course he is. He's not a fan. He's a Coach. He's also a very good man. Much as you may like to meet him, please respect his responsibilities on this night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT