ADVERTISEMENT

Central beats Clarke County 20-7

BullRun66

VaPreps Rookie
Jun 25, 2021
Lopez was a force on defense tonight for Central. Central line play on both sides won the game. Forbes had to be over 100 yards and 1 touchdown I know of. Central rarely ran outside at all. It was right up the gut almost the whole game. Clarke could not get anything going all night. The Eagles have got to get some sort of passing game to give opposing teams something else to plan for. When it got to where they had to throw they could not pass block and their quarterback was getting beat up.

Reactions: RoJoHokie
A couple of us came up to this one tonight. A couple of thoughts…
These two are definitely the class of the BRD right now; Central will be hard pressed to NOT win the Region; CC has lots of athletic players who would benefit from a semblance of a passing game; Lopez is a beast.
Riverheads definitely has something to say in 2B.

Lopez was a force on defense tonight for Central. Central line play on both sides won the game. Forbes had to be over 100 yards and 1 touchdown I know of. Central rarely ran outside at all. It was right up the gut almost the whole game. Clarke could not get anything going all night. The Eagles have got to get some sort of passing game to give opposing teams something else to plan for. When it got to where they had to throw they could not pass block and their quarterback was getting beat up.
He has to be a top contender for VHSL 2A Defensive Player of the Year. He’s a beast! I would not be shocked to see Central Woodstock back in Salem.

With Central likely locking up home field throughout, Clarke and Riverheads need to stay on pace or Buckingham could sneak in to take the 2 spot. Still some football to be played and tonight what I witnessed in Greenville wasn’t championship football. Staunton has a decent defense but they aren’t world beaters but they sure enough looked like it tonight. Good win for Central and with luck I get to see Riverheads get another shot at them.

I wouldn't sleep on Buckingham either. They've played very solid football this year and gave Central a great game in the playoffs last year.

I would also say don't sleep on Fort Defiance. They'll move up in the power ratings after beating Draft this week, but for a bit I thought that Fort would be a tough 8 seed to draw in the first round. Also think Madison could make some noise with someone, depending on the matchup. I think 2B is going to be super competitive this year.

The problem Clarke has is that they don't have a passing game at all in the younger league teams. They don't have anyone in the little league capable of developing a QB to be a capable passer.

• Haha
Reactions: MCAthletics
Lopez just shutdown the left side of the field on defense with Clarke's Running game. The kid is incredible. I watched this game this morning and Clarke looked good, but Central is tough on the line. Centrals physical.

The problem Clarke has is that they don't have a passing game at all in the younger league teams. They don't have anyone in the little league capable of developing a QB to be a capable passer.
That’s a cop-out and total BS.
You’re going to blame the little league coaches for why Clarke Co can’t throw the ball for the last 15 years???

Reactions: DASWAMP11
I wouldn't sleep on Buckingham either. They've played very solid football this year and gave Central a great game in the playoffs last year.

I would also say don't sleep on Fort Defiance. They'll move up in the power ratings after beating Draft this week, but for a bit I thought that Fort would be a tough 8 seed to draw in the first round. Also think Madison could make some noise with someone, depending on the matchup. I think 2B is going to be super competitive this year.
Our 2 losses came in decent games with Buckingham and Ft Defiance. I was impressed with both of those teams. I expected Buckingham to be very good. But I was surprised by Fort Defiance . They have some talent! Seems they are getting better each week now.

MC has scored 50+ in 3 of their 6 games so far. That offense is starting to believe more and more each week. They are young but improving weekly. But if we don’t tackle better, Strasburg, Central and Clarke will run us to death.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
I really hope this is sarcasm? Bc if it's not wow. Clarke hasn't thrown the football great in recent memory and that falls on the staff at the high school level. Idk if they work on it at practice but they use flood concepts way to much. Without proper spacing and depth the flood concepts don't work. Another thing I have said since this offense was brought to CC in 2008 I believe is they roll their right handed QBs left. It makes no sense. I know they do it bc they over load the right side as their base formation. I think they need to switch their base formation to overload the left side. They can run their base offense the same way but when they run bootleg their right handed qb will be rolling right. Stone bridge runs this same offense. I know they are struggling this year but are a power in 5A in the state. They throw the ball out of it more. It can be done and the ball can be thrown out of it but CC chooses not to do it. You can't be 1 dimensional to win a state title in my opinion unless you have a team full of absolute studs up front and athletes all over the field. There needs to be a balance

You’re going to blame the little league coaches for why Clarke Co can’t throw the ball for the last 15
I really hope this is sarcasm? Bc if it's not wow. Clarke hasn't thrown the football great in recent memory and that falls on the staff at the high school level. Idk if they work on it at practice but they use flood concepts way to much. Without proper spacing and depth the flood concepts don't work. Another thing I have said since this offense was brought to CC in 2008 I believe is they roll their right handed QBs left. It makes no sense. I know they do it bc they over load the right side as their base formation. I think they need to switch their base formation to overload the left side. They can run their base offense the same way but when they run bootleg their right handed qb will be rolling right. Stone bridge runs this same offense. I know they are struggling this year but are a power in 5A in the state. They throw the ball out of it more. It can be done and the ball can be thrown out of it but CC chooses not to do it. You can't be 1 dimensional to win a state title in my opinion unless you have a team full of absolute studs up front and athletes all over the field. There needs to be a balance
Be careful…AnyGivenFriday1969 will get his panties all bunched up if you suggest CC might need to at least have the threat of a pass😆

You’re going to blame the little league coaches for why Clarke Co can’t throw the ball for the last 15 years???
Have you ever watched a little league game in Clarke County? They don't pass. It takes time to develop a passing game, and a QB to execute it. It's just not done here.

Have you ever watched a little league game in Clarke County? They don't pass. It takes time to develop a passing game, and a QB to execute it. It's just not done here.
That’s why you have a JV program, seven on seven camps, etc. if I was a HS football coach, I don’t think I’d depend on “peewee daddy ball”. Now it would be nice if every peewee team ran the HS offense but I would not depend on it.

I think everyone is overlooking Buckingham

Not overlooking. Central has done everything needed to still be the favorite in the Region. 2x defending Region Champ. For me personally Buckingham and Riverheads are the Falcons biggest threat. The #1 seed for Central if they get it is huge. They are tough to beat in the playoffs at home. All of Shenandoah county comes out to support them if they are not playing Strasburg.

As the old saying goes. To be the man you have to beat the man.

My take on the game. No doubt Central deserves the #1 Ranking, they were the better team and Clarke just could not stop Tyler Forbes. This was a classic smashmouth football game. Very cleanly played, other than offsides and false starts I don't think there were any other penalties, no trash talking, warnings very fast game with both teams running the ball a majority of the game. Clarke played their worst first half of the year, but came out on the opening drive of the second half and went 80 yards to put the game within 7, and it remained that way into the 4th before the third Central score put it away for good. Good atmosphere with the crowd going back and forth with the "You can't do that" when either team had a false start. Central fans were their early and very respectful the whole game and there was alot of interaction on the field after the game between the Central and Clarke players, mutual respect and pride in their play, knowing there is a chance they could meet again before the season ends. This rivalry has become a classic over the last five years and much respect in Eagles camp for Coach Yew.

It was good to see Carson Rutherford back on the field, although he only did long snapping, and did a great job, he will give the Eagles a boost when he gets back full time in his running back/ defensive back duties. As for the comments about Clarke not having a passer in 15 seasons where were you 4 years ago when Colby Childs broke Sean MacDonalds passing records with 3,007 yards and 34 TDs holds all the school passing records. Maybe he didn't play in CC little league.

Riverheads will be in the mix for top spot and don't overlook Strasburg, they just kind of lurking in the shadows. Bull Run District and Region B has a bunch of good teams, best I've seen in a long time.

My take on the game. No doubt Central deserves the #1 Ranking, they were the better team and Clarke just could not stop Tyler Forbes. This was a classic smashmouth football game. Very cleanly played, other than offsides and false starts I don't think there were any other penalties, no trash talking, warnings very fast game with both teams running the ball a majority of the game. Clarke played their worst first half of the year, but came out on the opening drive of the second half and went 80 yards to put the game within 7, and it remained that way into the 4th before the third Central score put it away for good. Good atmosphere with the crowd going back and forth with the "You can't do that" when either team had a false start. Central fans were their early and very respectful the whole game and there was alot of interaction on the field after the game between the Central and Clarke players, mutual respect and pride in their play, knowing there is a chance they could meet again before the season ends. This rivalry has become a classic over the last five years and much respect in Eagles camp for Coach Yew.

It was good to see Carson Rutherford back on the field, although he only did long snapping, and did a great job, he will give the Eagles a boost when he gets back full time in his running back/ defensive back duties. As for the comments about Clarke not having a passer in 15 seasons where were you 4 years ago when Colby Childs broke Sean MacDonalds passing records with 3,007 yards and 34 TDs holds all the school passing records. Maybe he didn't play in CC little league.

Riverheads will be in the mix for top spot and don't overlook Strasburg, they just kind of lurking in the shadows. Bull Run District and Region B has a bunch of good teams, best I've seen in a long time.
I thought the record for passing you noted was for a career, not a season. 3000+ passing yards in a season is dang good if that was the case.

Watching my Rams they will not stay close against Clarke or Central. They will be 7-3 at best or 6-4 at worst. I don't think they win a playoff game. To young and commit stupid penalties and turnovers.

I thought the record for passing you noted was for a career, not a season. 3000+ passing yards in a season is dang good if that was the case.
It's a career not a season. They threw the ball more with colby and McDonald in this offense but have not thrown the ball any where near that since colby graduated

Everyone in the Frederick county, Winchester , Clarke County area knows that Clarke County turned the Single Wing Wingback Counter play from a Run/Handoff to a shovel pass in order to get the passing yardage/TD record.

Everyone knows this.

Oddly enough, they went back to a handoff in recent years and that cost them a fumble last night instead of what would have been an incomplete pass during a certain era.

Pull the film

Also that middle screen they run is on tape enough for everyone to know what’s coming.

Everyone in the Frederick county, Winchester , Clarke County area knows that Clarke County turned the Single Wing Wingback Counter play from a Run/Handoff to a shovel pass in order to get the passing yardage/TD record.

Everyone knows this.

Oddly enough, they went back to a handoff in recent years and that cost them a fumble last night instead of what would have been an incomplete pass during a certain era.

Pull the film

Also that middle screen they run is on tape enough for everyone to know what’s coming.
Thanks for the clarification. That’s still a decent amount given that offensive scheme.

Everyone knows this.

Pull the filmI
I don't need to pull the film, I"m the one who filmed it. Never said it was a single season, said 4 years ago he broke all the Records. Single Game 267, Single Season 1167, Career 3007. I could show Danny Lyman, Kyler, Darlington, Kyle Baylor, Peyton Rutherford etc. etc. all catching multiple long bombs, but doesn't really matter in the long run our record over the last 15 years speaks for itself,

I would ask for reimbursement but I know what you coaches make so...I won't embarrass you any more than you have already embarrassed yourself and your program.
I do not coach, but I bet Buckingham was really embarrassed week 2. Speaking of embarrassments.... good luck friday

I do not coach, but I bet Buckingham was really embarrassed week 2. Speaking of embarrassments.... good luck friday
Why would Buckingham be embarrassed over winning 22-7 against MC? Wasn’t enough margin? That’s why I know you are not from Buckingham; all their folks I have met have class! But I digress Coach. Thanks for the good wishes v. Central. Your boys could have used that luck last Friday against them though…

You know we were without out starting guard, center, tackle and arguably the most dangerous athlete in 2A in Amare Gough. We are healthier now with all 4 of those kids back. Madison is far from a pushover. We have yet to see all of our starters play together. Think about that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT