ADVERTISEMENT

Harrisonburg coach

Sorry, do not have the link. Daily news record has the story, coach is not the coach anymore during playoff week. Just looking for any local comments that may have inside info.

You can tell by the wording in the article and the posting on whsv that this is something they aren’t going to expand upon. There is definitely more to this and it all occurred at the end of/and after the spotswood game last week

Lucky he had Nick Miller, those athletes at every skill position and big strong country boys on the lines. It was definitely the foundation that Prunty and Rob Senseney laid down.

You do realize that Thurman lost Nick Miller one of those seasons to injury and still won a state title with the backup QB? And yes, all of the Gretna coaches owe Robert Prunty for laying the groundwork. I mean we could say Sensenney was lucky he had Vic Hall right?

The comment section to the Facebook post on this story has a lot of current players' parents celebrating his exit.

The comment section to the Facebook post on this story has a lot of current players' parents celebrating his exit.
OK folks. It is Monday and surely someone must know something, anything about why Coach Thurman was fired before game one of playoffs. End of season i could see this but nobody would fire a coach before start of the playoffs. Surely in this time of social media there is some hint as to why. I realize we should not deal in rumors but isnt there some word from the coach or close friends as to what may have happened?

OK folks. It is Monday and surely someone must know something, anything about why Coach Thurman was fired before game one of playoffs. End of season i could see this but nobody would fire a coach before start of the playoffs. Surely in this time of social media there is some hint as to why. I realize we should not deal in rumors but isnt there some word from the coach or close friends as to what may have happened?
If you haven't read the comments from the WHSV Facebook posting about it, there was talk of him being "less than helpful" to one of his players with a college recruiter. There's got to be more than that, but that's all I know, atm.

As others have mentioned, this has been a long time coming for Coach Thurman with lots of chances to change his ways but he just never did. Final straw was after the loss to Spotswood he went off in the locker room with a profanity laced verbal attack on the team. That was the last straw for the new principal and AD.

As others have mentioned, this has been a long time coming for Coach Thurman with lots of chances to change his ways but he just never did. Final straw was after the loss to Spotswood he went off in the locker room with a profanity laced verbal attack on the team. That was the last straw for the new principal and AD.

everything in this latest post sounds right but there was also a very heated confrontation with he and the spotswood coach after the game. Apparently he had an issue with what he considered running up the score. From what I understand it got very heated and crossed way over the line.

Now it all begins to make better sense. Not that there is anything good about any of it. But, it seems to be that it was inevitable.

everything in this latest post sounds right but there was also a very heated confrontation with he and the spotswood coach after the game. Apparently he had an issue with what he considered running up the score. From what I understand it got very heated and crossed way over the line.
Thurman having an issue with anybody about running up the score is laughable and the height of hypocrisy. When he has had a team capable of running up the score and an opponent in no position to resist he did not shy away from taking such advantage.

Reactions: obguthr
My opinion is that any coach that wants to make a fuss about an opponent running up the score needs to focus his energy into crafting better defensive schemes. You play the game to score & kids should be encouraged to play their hardest every snap.

Yes, coaches can call a more conservative game if they want, but a losing coach complaining about another running up the score is embarrassing in my opinion. Just be a better coach!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT