ADVERTISEMENT

Head Football Openings

maroons1

VaPreps Varsity
Sep 28, 2004
Other than Gate City and Fort Chiswell, what schools will be looking for new head football coaches?

Didn't Fort Chiswell just hire Wingate this past year??

What's the deal there??

He was an interim... he could possibly be the permanent hire. I believe when there is an interim coach, the position still has to be posted. Abingdon in Class 3 is going through the same process even though Garrett Amburgey had a tremendous first season as interim, winning the Mountain 7 District.

He was an interim... he could possibly be the permanent hire. I believe when there is an interim coach, the position still has to be posted. Abingdon in Class 3 is going through the same process even though Garrett Amburgey had a tremendous first season as interim, winning the Mountain 7 District.
Isn’t Abingdon the only 3A school in the M7?

Christiansburg I believe. Next year, it will be Carroll County as they drop down from 4A I think.

Abingdon to Pulaski is 78 miles
Abingdon to C-Burg is 96 miles
Abingdon to Hillsville/Carroll County is 86 miles

Abingdon is actually closer to the nearest 4A school in Pulaski then it is to Christiansburg or Carroll County. It's clearly geographically tough for Abingdon as Abingdon is only about 15-16 miles from the Tennessee/Va border.

Maybe Washington county could do some adjusting to get Abingdon down to 2A?
Something interesting about all the SWVA counties that I'm familiar with is there are no mandatory attendance zones. Any student can go to any school in the county that they want as long as they have a way to get there.

Something interesting about all the SWVA counties that I'm familiar with is there are no mandatory attendance zones. Any student can go to any school in the county that they want as long as they have a way to get there.
Isn’t there still vhsl rules?

The VHSL allows the jurisdictions (counties) to decide. Shenandoah county could allow any kid in that county to attend any school in Shenandoah county if they so chose. Loudoun does that, but a child has to provide their own means of transportation if they attend a Loudoun school outside of their designated schhol zone. Sounds like that is what Washington county does. Wonder if that includes the city of Bristol?

Isn’t there still vhsl rules?

The VHSL allows the jurisdictions (counties) to decide. Shenandoah county could allow any kid in that county to attend any school in Shenandoah county if they so chose. Loudoun does that, but a child has to provide their own means of transportation if they attend a Loudoun school outside of their designated schhol zone. Sounds like that is what Washington county does. Wonder if that includes the city of Bristol?

VHSL rules apply to transfers, but there are no rules about which school a student is forced to attend.

Not certain, but I think Bristol City is like Norton City. Students can attend the county or city schools without tuition.

Yes @Baseball215 you can recruit kids from all over the county. George wythe is notorious for it. Often there will be 3,4 or maybe 5 kids playing for them that actually LIVE in Rural Retreat or Fort Chiswell. They do this without physically moving residences. You have to sit out for the up coming sports season I believe tho. Then your good to go! Even have instances where kids use a relatives address in order to play at opposing schools with in Wythe county. Not saying it’s cool or ok but happens every year around here it seems.

Back in ‘’02 when wytheville won the state championship there star running back was actually adopted from the local Presbyterian home. The joke around here was that they lined the kids up and clocked em with a stop watch to see who was getting adopted ( didn’t really happen like that, just what people joke about).

If I’m hearing correctly you will be hearing of a kid wytheville has in the youth league right now from somewhere in Africa. He’s big and fast. I was told by parents on the team that the boy doesn’t even have a birth certificate??? So no telling how old the young man might be.
So I can go and recruit kids in all of the county

VHSL rules apply to transfers, but there are no rules about which school a student is forced to attend.

Not certain, but I think Bristol City is like Norton City. Students can attend the county or city schools without tuition.

This is not the case.

Reactions: 21vol
Only in the western end of the county say, in between Lebanon and Grundy sort of... hasn't really helped last couple years though, lol.
So you just gonna ignore the graham transfers the last several years?

Heck, one this year was a major factor in winning that state title. Defense wasn’t what it was until the LB came from Princeton.

a couple notes...

1st time enrolling 9th graders are eligible in the eyes of the VHSL. Even if they fail all classes (and socially promoted) as an 8th grader no matter what and to whatever school they choose as that is where they establish their eligibility. It's up to that school system to charge tuition (if they choose to) if not in the attendance zone etc.
The issue with Loudoun and many other school systems in VA that have mulitiple schools in the same county is the Superintendent has the final say on transfers. He/She can allow a kid to go to whatever school they want inside their division (if they see fit). All kinds of lies/hardships etc used for these transfers and the rich get richer while the poor stay poor in some sports. It's notorious in Loudoun but I can't speak on other parts of the state but I can only imagine in Southwest VA and the Tidewater. The playing field isn't as level as it should be. Not near as bad for single school divisions other than people lying about their residence

Merry Christmas

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Just heard at the JV basketball game that Chandler Rhodes resigned as HC at Madison County.

Wish Rhodes would stay and coach football AND basketball!!!!!!!!

Why has Madison County struggled so much in football? They use to be a state power.

All those old farm boys grew up and moved away. Now their sons are playing at other schools. And a lot of the ones still here are at private schools like Covenent, Woodberry, St Anne’s, etc.

I thought Rhodes would breathe life back into the program but I guess not. Be lucky to field a team in another 10 years.

And Dean has done a few things recently that did not help the situation.

Well its rumored there are culpeper and eastern view staff members applying for the Madison football position.

I doubt dean has done anything. He is a man of integrity and a great person.

I’m sure he is. If I were to apply for the job, I’d ask one question.

Why did the money football received from the carpenter trust fund get cut in half when Rhodes took over?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT