ADVERTISEMENT

Hello D3

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and mine had a lot more to do with being the kid in the candy store who cannot decide than trying to be humble.;-)

As far as Percy goes, he played tailback while Harris was there and Keeta played wide out some and DB some with both those position switches due to injuries and a product of how good an athlete they were at multiple positions. A real shame Percy had to get in trouble at NCSU. Everybody told Harris he would not like Georgia and just turning to hand the ball to the tailback, even if it was Herschel. Good times and maybe the best run (68 - 82/83) in GW history bookended by state championships. Didn't even make the playoffs every year with some good 9-1 teams left out.
Keeta played both ways full time in 1982 which was rare for Coach Pugh. GW went thru several HB's in 1981 due to injury.

@cutnjump you can be as humble and sensible as you desire. You will never convince me otherwise. I have seen a lot of football in my 57 years and until someone impresses me more 1982 GW Danville it is. Heck, 1981 was as good and I actually like J Harris better as a qb. P. Moorman was more dangerous legs/arms, but dang Harris could hit a gnats tail from 40 yards. I will say Moorman even though there was no such thing at the time may have been the original spread/read option type qb. The man would give you nightmares just by watching him on film.
Jimbo Mccauley and I carried the trophy up the hill to the locker room.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Bo and I were very close friends growing up. Our dad's coached baseball and football together. I spent a lot of summers playing football, whiffle ball, basketball, and par three golf with him and RD Ayers. In the winter we even played deck hockey. Bo was a much bigger and better athlete than me, but we went toe to toe in everything. The only sport I was better at was wrestling. One of my fondest memories as a teenager was going to the various parks in Roanoke with Bo, Rogers Ayers (NCAA Basketball Official), and a few other buddies playing against all of the local studs. Beck, the Hardy brothers (Mickey, Angelo, and Antonio) and more. We would drive them crazy with our picks, screens an rebounding. We used to call Bo "Larry Bird". We often would hold the court until they ran us off.

On a side note, in 1982 we played Pulaski at Pulaski. Walking down the steps we had tobacco spit on us, cold drinks, and everything else thrown on us. you would have thought we were the devils children. Dang that was fun! We should have won that game. Poor Victor Brammer dropped two long balls that would have been for scores. Not his fault it was cold as a well diggers tail and we didn't wear gloves back then.
I remember people hollering at us in 1975 on the long walk from the locker room to the field. Franklin County fans threw heated pennies at us on the GW basketball bench in 1974 in their old gym.

Just wondering did G W ever played Hargrave Military Academy since its close to tour school?

Jefferson's last basketball loss was to GW 26-21 in the 1974 regional semis. First GW game i ever saw was GW 38 JS 7 in 1964.
Man you had to go there. Now you are really challenging my brain. OK I remember going to the old Jefferson Gym downtown and watching Mike Franklin (Univ. Cincinnati) play for Coach Dick Kepley. They won the State Championship in 1970 I believe. I was only five but my dad let me go with him to the games. I remember Jefferson had a really tall player named Henderson who went on to play with Maryland. I loved the Terrapins with John Lucas, Tom McMillian, Moe Howard and Lenny Elmore. Well Lefty puts him in a game and he throws the dang ball off the backboard on an inbounds play. Not once, but twice. Not sure the year, but I remember watching it on tv. I was so passionate about sports then. I remember when Les Henson hit the "Henson Heave" against Florida State (Metro League), because my dad took the belt to me for waking him up. I was screaming at the top of my lungs and he had to work midnight shift that night. Man he was furious! I said dad he hit a 94 foot shot to win the game and he said im about to hit a 94 yard field goal with your ass! Pow!!!!!!!

Just wondering did G W ever played Hargrave Military Academy since its close to tour school?
I don't know about GW, but PH played them in basketball in 1980. They had a player by the name of Warren Martin who played for UNC and the Cleveland Cavaliers. PH beat the living heck out of them. Chris Kepley dropped 25 on them and Darrin Hagans outplayed Martin.

Man you had to go there. Now you are really challenging my brain. OK I remember going to the old Jefferson Gym downtown and watching Mike Franklin (Univ. Cincinnati) play for Coach Dick Kepley. They won the State Championship in 1970 I believe. I was only five but my dad let me go with him to the games. I remember Jefferson had a really tall player named Henderson who went on to play with Maryland. I loved the Terrapins with John Lucas, Tom McMillian, Moe Howard and Lenny Elmore. Well Lefty puts him in a game and he throws the dang ball off the backboard on an inbounds play. Not once, but twice. Not sure the year, but I remember watching it on tv. I was so passionate about sports then. I remember when Les Henson hit the "Henson Heave" against Florida State (Metro League), because my dad took the belt to me for waking him up. I was screaming at the top of my lungs and he had to work midnight shift that night. Man he was furious! I said dad he hit a 94 foot shot to win the game and he said im about to hit a 94 yard field goal with your ass! Pow!!!!!!!
The old 1960's-1975 AAA Western District was always loaded in basketball. For a few years in the early 70's it was split and Martinsville was AAA.

Great story! Man,@cutnjump you had to bring that up. Yes, GW took us (PH) 21-7 and Pulaski 37-7 out in consecutive weeks. I've said it before and I will say it again. The 1981 and 1982 GW Danville (AAA State champs) teams were two of the best high school squads I have ever seen. As a matter of fact, Pulaski was good in 1981, 1982, and 83. I think they beat GW in the 83 regional final. Those were the days. 1982 PH@Pulaski was freaking cold (20 Degrees) and the PH@GW game was cold and wet with intermittent sleet. I say this with total respect, I detested Pulaski and GW football, so much I still haven't driven through either place since.
I thought PH was pretty tough that year. That was a pretty hard hitting game.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I don't know about GW, but PH played them in basketball in 1980. They had a player by the name of Warren Martin who played for UNC and the Cleveland Cavaliers. PH beat the living heck out of them. Chris Kepley dropped 25 on them and Darrin Hagans outplayed Martin.
Could you be confusing Hargrave and Tunstall or the actual Martin? Warren Martin played at Tunstall before going to UNC. Maybe I missed it but, I do not recall him at Hargrave. I believe the Henderson you are referring to for Maryland is David Henderson. He also had a brother who might have been at Jefferson as well. The whole family was tall. David"s son Josh was tall just like his dad and played at Cave Spring then Vanderbilt. Not sure what he is doing now but, was working for the Pacers at one time.

I think Warren Martin went to Hargrave post graduate, but I might be wrong. I remember him wearing Carolina blue shoes.

I have tried to check, but there are no records or schedules for me to cross reference. I am probably wrong. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: cutnjump
I think Warren Martin went to Hargrave post graduate, but I might be wrong. I remember him wearing Carolina blue shoes.

I have tried to check, but there are no records or schedules for me to cross reference. I am probably wrong. Sorry.
There is absolutely no apology needed and I cannot definitively say he was never at Hargrave which is why I asked the question. I do know he was at Tunstall at one time. They had a very good AA team including Anthony Parrish(High Point) and Jeff Huffman(Lynchburg College). After 40 years not many of us accurately remember everything. Some of us even forget what we had for dinner last night. ;-)

My research says you are correct. I don't know who the heck I was thinking about. Jeez! Didn't Parrish playon the 1978 State Championship team? Maybe it was Tunstall.

Last edited:
My research says you are correct. I don't know who the heck I was thinking about. Jeez! Didn't Parrish playon the 1978 State Championship team? Maybe it was Tunstall.
I think we probably need some of our Martinsville/Henry County posters to weigh in as that would have been the AA Piedmont at the time. I mix the years up as Martinsville was good every year and the district had the likes of Tony Dallas, James Hunt, Tim Martin at Drewry Mason and others made it stout.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I think we probably need some of our Martinsville/Henry County posters to weigh in as that would have been the AA Piedmont at the time. I mix the years up as Martinsville was good every year and the district had the likes of Tony Dallas, James Hunt, Tim Martin at Drewry Mason and others made it stout.
Somebody! You and @tommythecpa have tested this old brain. When it comes to basketball @BoKnowsSports usually knows all the characters from the Piedmont. He's like a walking sports encyclopedia. Oh snap, the young bucks on here don't even know what that is. 😂

Somebody! You and @tommythecpa have tested this old brain. When it comes to basketball @BoKnowsSports usually knows all the characters from the Piedmont. He's like a walking sports encyclopedia. Oh snap, the young bucks on here don't even know what that is. 😂
The more I think about it I am not sure Parrish or Tunstall ever won a state championship in basketball. As I said before Martinville was always good and I do not believe they got over that hump. Also in the late 70s Ralph and the Blue Streaks pretty much ruled AA and you throw in RELee, Martinsville and Blacksburg there was not a whole lot of air left. Tunstall might have got a regional final but, if they went any further I do not recall.

Correct again. They won the Piedmont District and Parrish was an all-american. I'm going to be shipped back to the minors. I am batting .000 today.

Bo and I were very close friends growing up. Our dad's coached baseball and football together. I spent a lot of summers playing football, whiffle ball, basketball, and par three golf with him and RD Ayers. In the winter we even played deck hockey. Bo was a much bigger and better athlete than me, but we went toe to toe in everything. The only sport I was better at was wrestling. One of my fondest memories as a teenager was going to the various parks in Roanoke with Bo, Rogers Ayers (NCAA Basketball Official), and a few other buddies playing against all of the local studs. Beck, the Hardy brothers (Mickey, Angelo, and Antonio) and more. We would drive them crazy with our picks, screens an rebounding. We used to call Bo "Larry Bird". We often would hold the court until they ran us off.

On a side note, in 1982 we played Pulaski at Pulaski. Walking down the steps we had tobacco spit on us, cold drinks, and everything else thrown on us. you would have thought we were the devils children. Dang that was fun! We should have won that game. Poor Victor Brammer dropped two long balls that would have been for scores. Not his fault it was cold as a well diggers tail and we didn't wear gloves back then.
If you played Pulaski County at Pulaski County in 1982, you didn't walk down the steps. That would have been a major no-no and if a team had tried it, would have likely sparked a riot. Those were chained off and a sign hung there that said "Cougar Football Players Only" until it was taken down at some point after I left for the Army in 1987. No one was allowed to use those steps but the Cougar football players and staff. We also didn't have the expanded weight room or a visitors locker room then, so the team got dressed at the school and then had to walk around the back side of the stadium to enter where the visiting teams all enter now.

Reactions: gwb16
Sir I am a old man and have forgotten a lot, but I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that I have only been to Pulaski County Stadium once in my life. That was on a very cold night in 1982. It was my senior year and I know for a fact we walked down the hill via by the steps or on the steps. Yes, if my memory is correct they had chains on each side. I believe the field runs north to south and if I am right it would have been on the south end. Riot or no riot that's what happened. Maybe that's why we were so rudely treated. I even think our charter bus was parked up there somewhere. To be honest, it's really not worth arguing over. That many, many, years ago and it's my recollection. It's your team, so you know a lot more than me. If you are trying to imply the fans wouldn't do that then you would be very wrong. Do you remember wrestlers Childress and Christenson?

The more I think about it I am not sure Parrish or Tunstall ever won a state championship in basketball. As I said before Martinville was always good and I do not believe they got over that hump. Also in the late 70s Ralph and the Blue Streaks pretty much ruled AA and you throw in RELee, Martinsville and Blacksburg there was not a whole lot of air left. Tunstall might have got a regional final but, if they went any further I do not recall.
Tunstall made final four in 1974 and 1978. Was in same district as Martinsville so path was usually blocked.

Martinsville was in the old Western district from like 69 thru 74. Some of their most talented teams were thru this stretch but they never could get by Jefferson. The Dogs went back to 2A in the 74-75 school year and won state in 76 with the Tim Grant led team. Then they won back to back in 80-81 with the Jeff Adkins led teams then won in 82 with Tony Dallas. Then they won again in back to back fashion in 85-86 with the James Hunt, Shawn Moore, Mark Cooke and Kevin Beamer teams. During the 80's Drewey Mason was single A and won 3 state championships in a row with the Tim Martin teams and also GW Carver won 2 single A championships with the Wesley Spencer led teams. Then Drewey Mason and Carver were consolidated to form Magna Vista and MV won the 2A state championship in 1989 in their first year of existence. Basketball was very good in Southside Virginia back in the day. There were good players everywhere, Anthony Parrish, remember Clarence Dickerson from Dan River, Mike Helms at Bassett, Winfred Reid at Patrick County, Tom Duffy at Fieldale-Collinsville, Henry Johnson and Ed Reynolds at Drewey Mason, Talmadge Tanks at Carver and the list goes on and on. There was alot of talent back in those days( 60's-80's). Some of Martinsville's most talented players such as Silver Williams and Mark Cartwright never won a state championship because Martinsville was playing in 3A at the time and they had a hard time beating Jefferson, GW and Glass at the time. Ah, the good ole days.....

I remember getting settled in at Todd Stadium for the '95 Championship game between EC Glass and Hampton. The gentleman I sat beside told me, very politely... "Hampton hasn't played a team this good all year".
35-7 was the final and Ronald Curry put on a clinic that day. Fella told me he would have lost EVERYTHING he owned because he honestly didn't believe Hampton would beat them.
Lots of great stories to share over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT