ADVERTISEMENT

Henrico vs. Highland Springs

springer76

VaPreps All District
Nov 21, 2008
Highland Springs, VA
#2 Highland Springs 21-0 #5 Henrico 19-1 this girls game was the 1st game of a double header featuring a top 5 girls match up and a top 3 Boys match up (Henrico #1 HSHS #3) in front of a sold out crowd at Henrico HS.
HSHS girls won this one by margin of 58 points (101-43) Putting HS at 22-0 and Henrico 19-2 (both losses to HS).
The boys game was a different story.
HSHS lead for most of the game and lost an 11 point 2nd half lead to lose to Henrico 62-60
Me personally, HS outplayed Henrico and was robbed by the officials in the last 2 minutes of the game. Just my opinion.
But, it is what it is....
Great entertainment tonight except it was about 100° inside that gym!

Exactly how did the refs rob HSHS? They didn't make the HS player go back court at the end of the game. They didn't tell the HSHS player to foul the Henrico player with 1.7 seconds to go to put him on the line...

It was a great matchup between 2 of the 3 best teams in Division 5 in the Richmond area. I predict they will see each other again next week.

The atmosphere was nothing short of what every high school player wishes to play in front of....Sold Out Gym, battling pep bands, local radio station to help hype everything up.

I have no vested interest in either of the schools other than knowing the coaches. Neither of those coaches would ever blame the refs for the loss

He didn't go backcourt. Someone at the game posted that play on instagram and his foot never crossed the line. Just a bad call by the ref. It happens.

I was sitting at center court. the ball nor the player never crossed the line. When he got trapped, Coach Lancaster was calling time out!!! The officials ignored him. BAD CALL! When the foul occurred and the whistle blew the clock should have stopped at 3.9 seconds. The didn't stop it until 1.7. Everybody new it, the coaches pleaded for more time on the clock, but it was clear from many calls that the officials were doing everything they could to keep Henrico from losing. ( how many times did HS have baskets taken away for BS charging calls I counted 4 of them.) Buckingham is a flop expert! In the 4th qtr. #12 didn't like a foul call that went against him, he mouthed off at the official and he didn't get a Technical. He did it again.... and the official warned him and Coach Harmon, do it again you will get a technical foul. Coach Harmon was pleading for him to keep his mouth shut and play smart. He should have gotten it the FIRST time! Officials, Officials, Officials, where did they find those idiots!

As I said, it is what it is! There is nothing I can do about it. We probably will meet again in the Conference 11 final....

As far as the officials go. They were horrible all night.... both ways.... there were many bad calls against Henrico and many bad calls against HS too.

I just hate seeing a great match up like that come down to poor officiating!

This post was edited on 2/7 12:13 PM by springer76

I was at the game also and from a non bias prospective, HS was robbed. I will say that HS did make a lot of costly mistakes and it should not have come down to the last possession. A lot of bad calls on the Springers down the stretch, that should've been no calls especially the foul with over 3 seconds remaining, in which ran down to 1.7 seconds after the whistle and the refs wouldn't even put more time on the clock.

Backcourt violations

backcourt is a call that should NEVER happen if it's a borderline judgment call. It should be obvious if it's called, with no doubt in anyone's mind who's in the gym.

The play in question sounds like it was a bad call.
This post was edited on 2/10 12:33 PM by Hampton Roads 6

I stand corrected....

I will have to agree with everyone after seeing the video that there was no backcourt violation. It does seem that the refs took the game out of the hands of the players and that is a shame!

It seems that there were a number of calls that went against both teams ....the point I was trying to make in my initial post is that I'm sure both coaches would point to things that there teams could have done better instead of blaming the refs...

Seems that quite a few teams have been bit by the refs taking the game away this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT