ADVERTISEMENT

Here is region 4D point standings

Just for clarification on the caption...the winner would most likely lock up home field advantage for the region playoffs, not the entire playoffs. Broad Run and Tuscarora (possibly Liberty-Bealton too) will have more points than anyone that wins region D so, Region D champ will have to travel to the region C champ in the state-semis unless someone other than the top 3 seeds wins Region C.

So if Blacksburg beats Christiansburg, would they possibly jump GW for the 5th spot? GW plays a winless Martinsville this week.

4-6 will be decided by rider points. Even if Halifax, GW, and Blacksburg all win, depending on rider points any of those teams could end up in any of those spots.

So if Blacksburg beats Christiansburg, would they possibly jump GW for the 5th spot? GW plays a winless Martinsville this week.

From VHSL helper for spots 4-7 (range of possible seeding)

Halifax Co. 4-6
GW-Danville 4-7
Blacksburg 4-7
Jefferson Forest 6-7

Reactions: Go_Cometss
Christiansburg and Tunstall are both 3a, while Martinsville is 2a. Blacksburg will benefit most from a win with this as C'burg is 4-5 and Tunstall is 1-8.

Non-conference:

Blacksburg:
Giles (2-7) against James RIver (4-5)
Lord Botetourt (9-0) against Fleming (3-6)
Staunton River (1-8) against Northside (6-3)
Amherst County (1-8) against Liberty-Bedford (1-8)

Halifax:
Nottoway (7-2) against Buckingham (8-1)
Person County (3-7) against Northeast Guilford (8-2)
Park View (3-5) against Windsor (2-7)
Jefferson Forest (5-4) against Rustburg (3-7)

GW:

Glass (8-1) against Brookville (4-5)
Dinwiddie (5-4) against Dale (6-3)
Amherst County (1-8) against Liberty-Bedford (1-8)
Jefferson Forest (5-4) against Rustburg (3-7)

The JF/Rustburg and Magna Vista/Bassett games will be impactful. Dinwiddie has beat Dale the past 3 times, but it might be due for a Dale win. Nottoway/Buckingham might be one of the best games of the week.

D reminds me of B a bit. Not sure there is a ton of separation between the middle of that pack or the top...Could be a wild ride. I think from 1-6 could all give each other a game on any given night.

Just my opinion but really only the top 3 teams have have a realistic chance in this region. Having seen Salem and PC play this year I know how solid they are. I haven't seen Glass but based on the scores of their games and what they have in Kendrick they could be the best in the region and they have good overall balance with their offense and defense.

Just for clarification on the caption...the winner would most likely lock up home field advantage for the region playoffs, not the entire playoffs. Broad Run and Tuscarora (possibly Liberty-Bealton too) will have more points than anyone that wins region D so, Region D champ will have to travel to the region C champ in the state-semis unless someone other than the top 3 seeds wins Region C.

Not necessarily. In the latest VHSL points standings that came out today, Broad Run is at 282 total (game + bonus) points, Liberty (Bealeton) is at 276, and Tuscarora is at 273. Salem is at 270.

This week: IF Stone Bridge defeats Broad Run (which is probably at least a 50/50 probability), and Liberty, Tuscarora, and Salem all win, Salem would definitely pass Broad Run, very likely pass Tuscarora, and be very close to passing Liberty - that would come down to what both teams’ past opponents do this Friday. Since Liberty will still be the underdog to both Broad Run and Tuscarora to win Region C, Salem would have a good chance of hosting the state semi IF they were to win Region D. Which I’m not predicting; just pointing out, the Region D champion traveling in the semis is not a completely foregone conclusion.

Again, that’s all based on a Salem win and a Broad Run loss this week, and Liberty (Bealeton) losing in the regional (if they do indeed finish ahead of Salem on points). It’s also based on me hoping that I understand the points system as well as I think I do. If someone knows for certain that I’ve miscalculated, I’ll be happy to be corrected.

Addendum: I probably shouldn’t say Salem would “definitely” pass Broad Run in the scenario I outlined above, but it seems very likely given the number of bonus points both teams would accrue.

Reactions: VolNation85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT