ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL TOURNAMENT CENTRAL 2023

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002

FOOTBALL: FIRST VHSL REGIONAL STANDINGS

It's a five-week sprint to the finish! The race for Playoff Projection Friday on November 3rd is underway with the release of the first set of regional standings in football from the Virginia High School League (VHSL) on Tuesday. Here's everything you need to know!

--On State Semifinal Saturday on December 2nd, in all classes, the pairings are Region A vs. Region B and Region C vs. Region D. Hosting is determined by region champion with the highest rating between the two (A vs. B and C. vs. D).

CLASS 6, REGION A:

1) Thomas Dale (5-0) 32.0
2) Highland Springs (4-1) 29.0
3) Glen Allen (4-1) 28.6
4) Manchester (4-1) 27.6
5) Oscar Smith (3-2) 25.6
6) Landstown (3-2) 24.4
7) Meadowbrook (3-3) 22.833
8) Western Branch (2-3) 22.4

9) Grassfield (2-3) 21.8
10) Cosby (2-3) 20.8
11) Deep Run (1-5) 19.167

CLASS 6 ELSEWHERE:

REGION 6B: 1) Freedom, 31.0; 2) Mountain View, 30.0; 3) Colonial Forge, 29.667; 4) Battlefield, 29.333
REGION 6C: 1) Lake Braddock, 29.333; 2) West Springfield, 28.0; 3) South County, 27.833; 4) Fairfax, 25.167
REGION 6D: 1) James Madison, 31.667; 2) McLean, 30.8; 3) South Lakes, 29.333; 4) Yorktown, 27.333

Posted by robwitham at 7:05 PM

FOOTBALL: FIRST VHSL REGIONAL STANDINGS

It's a five-week sprint to the finish! The race for Playoff Projection Friday on November 3rd is underway with the release of the first set of regional standings in football from the Virginia High School League (VHSL) on Tuesday. Here's everything you need to know!

--On State Semifinal Saturday on December 2nd, in all classes, the pairings are Region A vs. Region B and Region C vs. Region D. Hosting is determined by region champion with the highest rating between the two (A vs. B and C. vs. D).

CLASS 6, REGION A:

1) Thomas Dale (5-0) 32.0
2) Highland Springs (4-1) 29.0
3) Glen Allen (4-1) 28.6
4) Manchester (4-1) 27.6
5) Oscar Smith (3-2) 25.6
6) Landstown (3-2) 24.4
7) Meadowbrook (3-3) 22.833
8) Western Branch (2-3) 22.4

9) Grassfield (2-3) 21.8
10) Cosby (2-3) 20.8
11) Deep Run (1-5) 19.167

CLASS 6 ELSEWHERE:

REGION 6B: 1) Freedom, 31.0; 2) Mountain View, 30.0; 3) Colonial Forge, 29.667; 4) Battlefield, 29.333
REGION 6C: 1) Lake Braddock, 29.333; 2) West Springfield, 28.0; 3) South County, 27.833; 4) Fairfax, 25.167
REGION 6D: 1) James Madison, 31.667; 2) McLean, 30.8; 3) South Lakes, 29.333; 4) Yorktown, 27.333

Posted by robwitham at 7:05 PM
Judging by this,and the remaining schedules,it looks like Freedom will be coming to RVA for the State Semis if TDale or HSHS stay clean in the win columns.

Danny Lewis @CRF4Dan
By my count 22 of the 34 teams in the Central Region would be in with 13 having homes games that first weekend. I was doing some homework... for an article I'm pushing out tomorrow. Only one team that was in the playoffs when the first ratings were released failed to make the playoffs and that team was replaced by another. Odds are in our favor.

This is a joke, the fact that TD is pointed higher than HSHS at this point is foolishness. HSHS only loss came to Maury and anyone who was at that game would say HSHS gave that game away. The only team that Dale has on there schedule that was solid was Dinwiddie. LC Bird is ok but they are not one of the top teams. HSHS beat Miramar and Manchester. Hopefully VHSL actually starts looking at SOS.

This is a joke, the fact that TD is pointed higher than HSHS at this point is foolishness. HSHS only loss came to Maury and anyone who was at that game would say HSHS gave that game away. The only team that Dale has on there schedule that was solid was Dinwiddie. LC Bird is ok but they are not one of the top teams. HSHS beat Miramar and Manchester. Hopefully VHSL actually starts looking at SOS.
Miramar currently has three losses, including one to HSHS and one to Saint Thomas Aquinas that is hurting their point total. Manchester will continue to win as will Maury which will increase HSHS’s point totals and the team Potomac from Maryland is currently 4-1 and should finish 8-2, but they have not played them yet.

The best team Thomas Dale has played other than Dinwiddie is LC Byrd and Glen Allen.

Reactions: springer76
Miramar currently has three losses, including one to HSHS and one to Saint Thomas Aquinas that is hurting their point total. Manchester will continue to win as will Maury which will increase HSHS’s point totals and the team Potomac from Maryland is currently 4-1 and should finish 8-2, but they have not played them yet.

The best team Thomas Dale has played other than Dinwiddie is LC Byrd and Glen Allen.
I agree plus HSHS having a bye week they didnt get points while other teans that did play got points. I figure things will work themselves if we beat Varina and win the rest of our games.

HSHS “gave” the game away to Maury, well if they “gave” it away then HSHS should be ranked lower…that was a good game for the region don’t minimize by saying HSHS “gave” it away. Can’t wait to see HS next year.

Reactions: CavsGrad

FOOTBALL: WEEK 9 VHSL REGION RANKINGS AND ANALYSIS​

CLASS 6, REGION A:

1) Thomas Dale 33.429
2) Highland Springs 31.857
3) Manchester 30.571
4) Glen Allen 29.429
5) Oscar Smith 29.0
6) Western Branch 23.857
7T) Landstown 23.571
Grassfield 23.571
---------------------------------------
9) Meadowbrook 22.375
10) Cosby 20.429
11) Deep Run 19.375

ANALYSIS: Thomas Dale's final three opponents, Patrick Henry, Hopewell and Petersburg, have a combined ten wins. Highland Springs finishes with Hermitage, Varina and Hanover, and they hold a combined fourteen. If the Knights and Springers both win out, other game results from their opponents will likely decide who gets the number one seed. Why is that important? Home field advantage through the region championship round on Thanksgiving weekend. Manchester's chances to jump both teams are remote. After Friday's game with five-win L.C. Bird, they finish with the winless Richmond School For The Arts and Cosby, currently on the outside looking in. Glen Allen has Oscar Smith breathing down its neck for the #4 seed and a first round home game. The Tigers have a huge game at unbeaten King's Fork Friday which, with a win, would leapfrog the Jaguars, even if they defeat one-win Deep Run. Of the other Richmond teams, Meadowbrook has the best mathematical chance to get to the top eight, but the road is very difficult, already having played eight games and having Hopewell and Dinwiddie to wrap the season.

OTHER CLASS 6 REGIONS (NOTE: In state semifinals December 2nd, Region 6A champion will play Region 6C champion, and Region 6B and Region 6D winners will square off. This is a change approved by the VHSL as requested by Class 6 officials. This classification has done this in some past years over the last decade):

REGION 6B: 1) Mountain View 33.143; 2) Freedom-PW 32.667; 3) Battlefield 31.429; 4) Colonial Forge 30.125
REGION 6C: 1) Lake Braddock 30.143; 2) South County 29.429; 3) West Springfield 29.286; 4) Thomas Edison 27.714
REGION 6D: 1) James Madison 34.0; 2) McLean 31.429; 3) South Lakes 30.571; 4) Washington-Liberty 30.0

by robwitham at 8:16 PM

Last edited:

FOOTBALL: WEEK 9 VHSL REGION RANKINGS AND ANALYSIS​

CLASS 6, REGION A:

1) Thomas Dale 33.429
2) Highland Springs 31.857
3) Manchester 30.571
4) Glen Allen 29.429
5) Oscar Smith 29.0
6) Western Branch 23.857
7T) Landstown 23.571
Grassfield 23.571
---------------------------------------
9) Meadowbrook 22.375
10) Cosby 20.429
11) Deep Run 19.375

ANALYSIS: Thomas Dale's final three opponents, Patrick Henry, Hopewell and Petersburg, have a combined ten wins. Highland Springs finishes with Hermitage, Varina and Hanover, and they hold a combined fourteen. If the Knights and Springers both win out, other game results from their opponents will likely decide who gets the number one seed. Why is that important? Home field advantage through the region championship round on Thanksgiving weekend. Manchester's chances to jump both teams are remote. After Friday's game with five-win L.C. Bird, they finish with the winless Richmond School For The Arts and Cosby, currently on the outside looking in. Glen Allen has Oscar Smith breathing down its neck for the #4 seed and a first round home game. The Tigers have a huge game at unbeaten King's Fork Friday which, with a win, would leapfrog the Jaguars, even if they defeat one-win Deep Run. Of the other Richmond teams, Meadowbrook has the best mathematical chance to get to the top eight, but the road is very difficult, already having played eight games and having Hopewell and Dinwiddie to wrap the season.

OTHER CLASS 6 REGIONS (NOTE: In state semifinals December 2nd, Region 6A champion will play Region 6C champion, and Region 6B and Region 6D winners will square off. This is a change approved by the VHSL as requested by Class 6 officials. This classification has done this in some past years over the last decade):

REGION 6B: 1) Mountain View 33.143; 2) Freedom-PW 32.667; 3) Battlefield 31.429; 4) Colonial Forge 30.125
REGION 6C: 1) Lake Braddock 30.143; 2) South County 29.429; 3) West Springfield 29.286; 4) Thomas Edison 27.714
REGION 6D: 1) James Madison 34.0; 2) McLean 31.429; 3) South Lakes 30.571; 4) Washington-Liberty 30.0

by robwitham at 8:16 PM
Wow. I didn't know about the 6A/6C and 6B/6D semifinal matchups. In my opinion, the VHSL should have rotated the semifinal game pairings in all classes; not just Class 6.

I guess the powers that be REALLY want a Freedom - Highland Springs final in Class 6... or, alternatively, want the fodder culled at the semi-final level.

:confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: falcettik
I guess the powers that be REALLY want a Freedom - Highland Springs Final in Class 6... or, alternatively, want the fodder culled at the semi-final level.

:confused:
Yeah they want that Springers-Freedom matchup bad but I think making a change when you are on the backstretch of the season is a bad look. You knew Highland Springs was going to be 6A before the season started, you could have made this change then. Let's just make this simple and seed state semifinals based on ratings and not a set pairing.

It definitely should have been done prior to the season. Changing only 1 of 6 regions when you are 70% of the way through the regular season will undoubtedly lead to more questions. Agree that we should either re-seed or have A play B in year 1, A play C in year 2, and A play D in year 3….then rinse and repeat.

It definitely should have been done prior to the season. Changing only 1 of 6 regions when you are 70% of the way through the regular season will undoubtedly lead to more questions. Agree that we should either re-seed or have A play B in year 1, A play C in year 2, and A play D in year 3….then rinse and repeat.
Yes, I'm not opposed to the change of pairings, just the timing of it. I was told they had been discussing this since Spring... and they just came to the decision now on it?

What worries me is a worst case scenario situation where Highland Springs or Freedom win a state semifinal game on a controversial call and the officiating is questioned as well as the VHSL. I mean how could it not be given they changed this pairing just weeks before the season.

Also sets a bad precedent to change at a whim to get the more desirable matchup.

Ref: the highlighted portion. Assuming Dale and Springs win out, although it may be mathematically possible for Highland Springs to get the top seed (and I did not crunch the numbers) it is going to require a lot of upsets to happen, preferably from non-district opponents, since district games cancel each other out in terms of overall wins. A 1.57 point difference is a lot to make up at this point in the season. It equates to HS gaining at least 8 more wins over the next three games from their defeated opponents than the opponent's wins that TD gets.

Last edited:
Ref: the highlighted portion. Assuming Dale and Springs win out, although it may be mathematically possible for Highland Springs to get the top seed (and I did not crunch the numbers) it is going to require a lot of upsets to happen, preferably from non-district opponents, since district games cancel each other out in terms of overall wins. A 1.57 point difference is a lot to make up at this point in the season. It equates to HS gaining at least 8 more wins over the next three games from their defeated opponents than the opponent's wins that TD gets.
The biggest difference there is, Highland Springs doesn’t have to play a district schedule. Only two of their last three opponents are district teams. The teams that they have played a rolling towards the playoffs, including Miramar and Potomac. Those two teams are favored in their last three games over their district foes. That’s 6 wins compared to PG & MBK. The Highland Springs wins are not “eating each other”. We KNOW Maury is gonna win out, but we don’t know if LC Byrd will. Manchester seems to be doing better than Dinwiddie or Hopewell also. I haven’t checked on Norcom,but I’m sure they’re a playoff team too.

HS was farther behind 3 weeks ago than they are now. That strength of schedule is showing. It’s gonna be close,that’s for sure.

Reactions: Pioneers02Champs
The power point system literally factors in SOS. That's why teams get bonus points for their opponents wins and losses. Teams are also awarded points for playing up in classification. HSHS beat Miramar but Miramar has 3 losses as someone else mentioned plus they are classified as Class 5 so that's even less points for HSHS. Being rated higher doesn't necessarily equate to being better. HSHS is definitely the better team.

Yeah they want that Springers-Freedom matchup bad but I think making a change when you are on the backstretch of the season is a bad look. You knew Highland Springs was going to be 6A before the season started, you could have made this change then. Let's just make this simple and seed state semifinals based on ratings and not a set pairing.
I agree! ratings should be redone after each playoff round IMO.

Why is everyone making a big deal of the points system. Home games in high school football mean nothing now. The stands are 3/4 full and a lot of teams play on sports turf. If you have the better team they will win. Dominate teams like old school Hampton,Phoebus and Oscar Smith from 2 years ago didn't care where the games were played. I literally watched St Bosco from California travel cross country and beat Oscar Smith down. The venue does not matter.

Actually there is no penalty for playing a lower classification. It’s covered in bonus points (which are a two part calculation). For every classification down you play, you get 2 extra bonus points. So it balances against lower classifications getting a 2 point step (win or lose) for each class up they play.

Reactions: otnorot
The power point system literally factors in SOS. That's why teams get bonus points for their opponents wins and losses. Teams are also awarded points for playing up in classification. HSHS beat Miramar but Miramar has 3 losses as someone else mentioned plus they are classified as Class 5 so that's even less points for HSHS. Being rated higher doesn't necessarily equate to being better. HSHS is definitely the better team.

What if you play someone like SFA?

See the problem there? Class whatever in VA, 3 wins, 5 losses. That's still a top 100 team though.

Granted just about every system has its flaws. VA/NC, power points/RPI..You tend to get kneecapped for having a better SOS. When it comes to seeding.

Yes, I'm not opposed to the change of pairings, just the timing of it. I was told they had been discussing this since Spring... and they just came to the decision now on it?

What worries me is a worst case scenario situation where Highland Springs or Freedom win a state semifinal game on a controversial call and the officiating is questioned as well as the VHSL. I mean how could it not be given they changed this pairing just weeks before the season.

Also sets a bad precedent to change at a whim to get the more desirable matchup.
Again, there's no leadership within the VHSL. I know the classes and the regions and the districts kind of do their own thing. But there needs to be one decision maker...or a few at the top who aren't afraid to say "NO"!

Reactions: CRF4Dan
The biggest difference there is, Highland Springs doesn’t have to play a district schedule. Only two of their last three opponents are district teams. The teams that they have played a rolling towards the playoffs, including Miramar and Potomac. Those two teams are favored in their last three games over their district foes. That’s 6 wins compared to PG & MBK. The Highland Springs wins are not “eating each other”. We KNOW Maury is gonna win out, but we don’t know if LC Byrd will. Manchester seems to be doing better than Dinwiddie or Hopewell also. I haven’t checked on Norcom,but I’m sure they’re a playoff team too.

HS was farther behind 3 weeks ago than they are now. That strength of schedule is showing. It’s gonna be close,that’s for sure.
If teams don't play a full district schedule, then they should not be allowed to compete in the playoffs. If you want to make up your own schedule, leave the VHSL and go to VISAA.

Dump the Power Points. Base districts on enrollment size and geography. You play your non-district games first and then you go into district play. Make district titles matter again. This should go for the entire state. If we need to deviate from six classes to make this work, then go to five, or four.

Reactions: Washingtonian
Dump the Power Points. Base districts on enrollment size and geography. You play your non-district games first and then you go into district play. Make district titles matter again. This should go for the entire state. If we need to deviate from six classes to make this work, then go to five, or four.
The "district champs get in" may work for a lot of areas in the state but it does not work for NOVA when it comes down to who is most deserving. With the sheer number of schools we have 4 districts just in Class 6, and two of them are decidedly better than the other two. It has evened out a bit in recent years, but the 3rd or 4th place teams in the Concorde or Patriot are almost always (but not in every case) at least as good as (and sometimes better) than the first or second place teams out of the National or Liberty. That is one of the reasons power points matter. That said, the National and Liberty district teams who do have a good season and make a higher seed are frequently beaten in the playoffs by a lower ranked (by power points) team from the Concorde or Patriot. It is likely to happen again this year.

The "district champs get in" may work for a lot of areas in the state but it does not work for NOVA. With the sheer number of schools we have 4 districts just in Class 6, and two of them are decidedly better than the other two. It has evened out a bit in recent years, but the 3rd or 4th place teams in the Concorde or Patriot are almost always (but not in every case) at least as good as (and sometimes better) than the first or second place teams out of the National or Liberty. That is one of the reasons power points matter.
You can take the top four in each district if you have two districts in a region (this would be 32 teams in a class that get in). You can take the top two in each district if you have four districts in a region. If you divide the total number of schools equally by 6, 5, 4, you can make this happen because you're looking at roughly 50 to 75 schools per class total.

If teams don't play a full district schedule, then they should not be allowed to compete in the playoffs. If you want to make up your own schedule, leave the VHSL and go to VISAA.
I dont agree with your idea, HSHS started playing out of district because district teams like Mechanicsville and Armstrong were requesting to be taken of the schedule because HSHS was beating the crap out of them. You dont see top tier teams in other states complaining about their top tier teams in the state playing OOS teams and playing top competition because it brings exposure to the kids and to the state when our teams defeat OOS teams. I applaud teams like HSHS, Freedom, Maury, and Dinwiddie for going out of state and taking on those challenges. Oh yeah and Stonebridge too for taking those OOS challenges this year. Also, it gives the fans what they want to see, we would not have gotten the opportunity to see 2 premier teams like HSHS and Maury play against each other this year if both teams did not agree to step out of their districts.

VHSL passed a rule a while back, allowing teams to remove teams from their schedule that are more than one level below them. There is no reason whatsoever why a division 6 school should be playing a division 3 school. VHSL requires any team to play at least 1/2 their district teams. Both teams are required to agree not to play. It does the kids absolutely no good to play a team that they beat by 60 points every year. It does no good for the team getting beat by 60 points every year,because kids stop coming out for the team to avoid getting embarrassed and beat down every year. as long as everyone is playing by the rules, I don’t see the problem.

Can you imagine the private school team that Highland Springs could put together if they were legally allowed to recruit from anywhere?!

HooSprings... Could be amusingly worse... for example in Illnois there is no separate classification for private and parochial schools... everybody is in the state tournament. For years the Class 4A championship game ran thru the Joliet Catholic Hilltoppers.... you had to be better than a school of 800-1000 boys, many recruited as early as 6th grade for the football program.

• Angry
Reactions: CRF4Dan
They really should think about going back to the old AAA,AA and A system. No divisions. Less champions but more rewarding. I get that NOVA has more enrollment in their schools but I do not believe they would rule the state because of it. If you look the championship games in the old system every region had moments. I want a chance to see Phoebus,Highland Springs, Freedom etc play with more on the line. Regular season games against teams you don't have a chance to play against in the playoffs are meaningless.

Our rating system isn't perfect but look around at how a lot of other states do things and I feel comfortable saying we have one of the better systems by far. We keep private and public separate(not counting Liberty Christian). We reward teams for playing better and harder schedules. We give our teams true homefield throughout the playoffs(Texas doesn't do this). I really don't know what could be done to make it better. Other than evening some of the regions out I think current system is running pretty good.

Reactions: CHUKNOW
They really should think about going back to the old AAA,AA and A system. No divisions. Less champions but more rewarding. I get that NOVA has more enrollment in their schools but I do not believe they would rule the state because of it. If you look the championship games in the old system every region had moments. I want a chance to see Phoebus,Highland Springs, Freedom etc play with more on the line. Regular season games against teams you don't have a chance to play against in the playoffs are meaningless.
selective memory lost
they still had six football champions

selective memory lost
they still had six football champions
But you still had teams like Hampton,Annadale,Hampton,TC Williams,Highland Springs being able to play in the playoffs against each other. Maury vs Highland Springs in the playoffs should still be a thing. Stone Bridge vs Freedom should be a possibility. Hell Phoebus might be the best team in the state but we will never get to know because of the current system.

But you still had teams like Hampton,Annadale,Hampton,TC Williams,Highland Springs being able to play in the playoffs against each other. Maury vs Highland Springs in the playoffs should still be a thing. Stone Bridge vs Freedom should be a possibility. Hell Phoebus might be the best team in the state but we will never get to know because of the current system.
they could play each other if they wanted to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT