ADVERTISEMENT

Hermitage's Coach Johnson Resigns

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
After disastrous season at Hermitage with Panthers posting a 1-9 season, Coach Johnson has resigned at Hermitage.

Is this job still an attractive one or do you feel too much damage has been done?

After disastrous season at Hermitage with Panthers posting a 1-9 season, Coach Johnson has resigned at Hermitage.

Is this job still an attractive one or do you feel too much damage has been done?
I think its an attractive school just because the talent the area generates. The big question is, are kids shying away from Hermitage due to the recent struggles? Hermitage next coach will be in the Jon Gruden situation where you need to give him time to develop a program that attracts kids to the school. With that being said, Hermitage will be down for a little while but I believe they'll get back once they bring in a high character, relatable and honest coach with both the parents and student athletes. I really like the JV coach(Saunders) at HSHS, is he interested in moving on though?

Wow, I don’t know. Agree it needs to be someone with a lineage to the old regime or familiarity with the program at this point

Wow, I don’t know. Agree it needs to be someone with a lineage to the old regime or familiarity with the program at this point
I think there are some of Kane's assistants that were interested in the position when HE vacated it! On of them should have been handed the torch! Kane had a good staff when he was there, where are they now? I think they should revisit the possibilities!
HSHS does in fact have a dynamite staff. I know they are very tight knit and have their engine running well at Highland Springs. I for one hope none of them want to jump ship!! Hermitage's hiring process was highly questionable last go around, let's see if it has changed.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I think there are some of Kane's assistants that were interested in the position when HE vacated it! On of them should have been handed the torch! Kane had a good staff when he was there, where are they now? I think they should revisit the possibilities!
HSHS does in fact have a dynamite staff. I know they are very tight knit and have their engine running well at Highland Springs. I for one hope none of them want to jump ship!! Hermitage's hiring process was highly questionable last go around, let's see if it has changed.
I'm reminded of the old Jerry Lee Lewis song with lyrics, "he who expects nothing, ain't gonna be deceived!"

I am on the fence. I definitely believe there is some merit to what you say... someone with ties to the old regime. That said, you cannot completely rule out going with a coach who has a successful track record.

Reactions: mbonape1
Danny, I just find it difficult to believe that a regime that allegedly pushed Coach Kane out, and then make a really unwise choice to fill his position, would somehow get "real smart" and fix their mistakes.

Somewhat attractive I guess, but as Springer76 said, some damage has been done. The job SHOULD have gone to, and still should go to, Justin Fitzgerald. All that being said, if I were a head coach, I don't think I'd want any part of the Hermitage program right now. I think it will be a long time before we bounce back.

It is my opinion, based on discussions with some that had reason to be aware, that he was finding the environment less and less embracing. (The question is why would this be the case, which makes no sense.) Coupled with his desire for a break, I think it was enough to cause him to step away.

Was he pushed out? I guess that depends on your definition of a push.

But, the fact that these same "leaders" that made the decision to hire the ill fated, newly departed Coach Johnson, were the same "leaders" he worked for, is evidence in itself of a disconnect.

Somewhat attractive I guess, but as Springer76 said, some damage has been done. The job SHOULD have gone to, and still should go to, Justin Fitzgerald. All that being said, if I were a head coach, I don't think I'd want any part of the Hermitage program right now. I think it will be a long time before we bounce back.
I agree with you. It's a mess now. 12 months ago it was a top tier coaching job. Now, it's going to be really tough to attract a coach with a proven track
record under his belt. I'm afraid we are witnessing the end of an era.

Reactions: Herm95
I am on the fence. I definitely believe there is some merit to what you say... someone with ties to the old regime. That said, you cannot completely rule out going with a coach who has a successful track record.

Danny I agree but if you are a new coach from the outside if you don’t win immediately you have the community coaching from the bleachers and you already know they didn’t want you there in the first place bc they wanted someone from the inside. If you are going to hire me to run the show, let me run the show. Will a newly new coach really have a clean slate? Especially after this year and the I told you so’s???

None of us really know the true circumstances that lead to Kaine's departure and to be honest, that may have lead to the administrations decision to go outside of the nest. I agree @mbonape1 it would make things easier if they hired someone familiar with the program, but the fans need to accept this program is a bit behind the eight ball and its going to take a minute to right the ship. I say pick a proven winner and disciplinarian and rebuild things on laurel Springs Road.

None of us really know the true circumstances that lead to Kaine's departure and to be honest, that may have lead to the administrations decision to go outside of the nest. I agree @mbonape1 it would make things easier if they hired someone familiar with the program, but the fans need to accept this program is a bit behind the eight ball and its going to take a minute to right the ship. I say pick a proven winner and disciplinarian and rebuild things on laurel Springs Road.

According to the Richmond.com article they lost 8 potential scholarship players in 1 offseason. Not to graduation though, 7 transfers and CJ Jackson never returned from injury. This was a tall task from the beginning. I wonder what would have happened if those kids would have stayed? I think they would have finished number 2 behind HSHS but that is just speculation on my end. They would have at least been a 500 ball club.

According to the Richmond.com article they lost 8 potential scholarship players in 1 offseason. Not to graduation though, 7 transfers and CJ Jackson never returned from injury. This was a tall task from the beginning. I wonder what would have happened if those kids would have stayed? I think they would have finished number 2 behind HSHS but that is just speculation on my end. They would have at least been a 500 ball club.
I would agree with you, but they transferred for a reason. It doesn't take much to piss off a parent or kid these days. Not a lot of loyalty to programs or coaches. Its always greener on the other side of the fence.

Yeah those kids would surely have helped the program. I think #2 is a stretch but 5-5, maybe 6-4... Simply put they would have been better than 1-9 but it is my understanding they left as a result of the Coach himself. Just goes to show you how important it is to have everyone on the same page. This is definitely an example of how things can go awry if you do not.

Yeah those kids would surely have helped the program. I think #2 is a stretch but 5-5, maybe 6-4... Simply put they would have been better than 1-9 but it is my understanding they left as a result of the Coach himself. Just goes to show you how important it is to have everyone on the same page. This is definitely an example of how things can go awry if you do not.

Yeah, I said that earlier in the year on another posts... Part of taking any new job is not crashing the bus into a ditch. Not losing headcount etc... Keep what is working well, working!! That certainly didn't happen in this case.

I agree with you and @LancerDad 100%. We all heard different opinions from the Hermitage faithful as to why this happened. I don't know what was behind it as an outsider... Just imagine what would have happened if they stayed though. A down year for Hermitage standards? Yes... but maybe even as high as number 2. Could they have stole a game from Henrico or Varina? I think maybe so. You probably would have been looking at a 7-3 team without a ton of controversy. Verses now, My god you got into a brawl with Freeman??? I think they have to hire and insider or an A1 coach with a proven track-record at a big time school to turn this around in the next few years. I have never seen anything sink this fast.

Yeah, I said that earlier in the year on another posts... Part of taking any new job is not crashing the bus into a ditch. Not losing headcount etc... Keep what is working well, working!! That certainly didn't happen in this case.

I agree with you and @LancerDad 100%. We all heard different opinions from the Hermitage faithful as to why this happened. I don't know what was behind it as an outsider... Just imagine what would have happened if they stayed though. A down year for Hermitage standards? Yes... but maybe even as high as number 2. Could they have stole a game from Henrico or Varina? I think maybe so. You probably would have been looking at a 7-3 team without a ton of controversy. Verses now, My god you got into a brawl with Freeman??? I think they have to hire and insider or an A1 coach with a proven track-record at a big time school to turn this around in the next few years. I have never seen anything sink this fast.

Which was the biggest upset sinking? Hermitage or Titanic?

Tough one. Might want to add the Hiddenburg into the mix. I am not going to bad mouth Johnson or Hermitage, but simply agree with the athletic director. "It just wasn't a good fit"!

What do they say too, you never want to be the man to succeed the man... We have seen it tough to do do at the college and pro level. Heck, one of these days Dinwiddie will find themselves trying to replace Mills.

What do they say too, you never want to be the man to succeed the man... We have seen it tough to do do at the college and pro level. Heck, one of these days Dinwiddie will find themselves trying to replace Mills.
Now @CRF4Dan there was no need to go there. To quote my late grandmother that is just plain nasty to talk! You are correct sir, but I can tell you when that day comes (not too soon I hope) our hiring process will be thorough and brutal. Heck, our football captain selection process is worse than a state interview.

Some of you guys were pre-cognitive on the Coach Johnson to Herm issue. DP and Bleeding Navy openly questioned the hire based on his tenure at Matoaca. Herm 95 with the facepalm and Springer76 said "Kane will be sorely missed" both called it. It sounds like the Herm players and families immediately saw a dropoff in how the team/staff was preparing. I don't know about y'all but watching Herm's pregame routine in the past was like watching a well oiled machine. It wouldn't take much of a dropoff to be very noticeable to insiders.

The quickest possible way to a turnaround would probably to hire the guy everyone wanted which seems to be Justin Fitzgerald. Maybe, he is able to lure players back that have left and keep any more from transferring. If Henrico or Glen Allen make a playoff run, it may make the situation worse or at least tougher. Transfers to successful programs, especially teams on the verge, have been an issue or the norm (depending on your point of view) for the better part of the last decade. Whether the administration brings back an insider or an already proven coach from outside, the new staff will need to re-connect with the Middle School and Rec programs to keep and groom the player pipeline.

Now @CRF4Dan there was no need to go there. To quote my late grandmother that is just plain nasty to talk! You are correct sir, but I can tell you when that day comes (not too soon I hope) our hiring process will be thorough and brutal. Heck, our football captain selection process is worse than a state interview.

I love it... Only the strong shall survive.

Some of you guys were pre-cognitive on the Coach Johnson to Herm issue. DP and Bleeding Navy openly questioned the hire based on his tenure at Matoaca. Herm 95 with the facepalm and Springer76 said "Kane will be sorely missed" both called it. It sounds like the Herm players and families immediately saw a dropoff in how the team/staff was preparing. I don't know about y'all but watching Herm's pregame routine in the past was like watching a well oiled machine. It wouldn't take much of a dropoff to be very noticeable to insiders.

The quickest possible way to a turnaround would probably to hire the guy everyone wanted which seems to be Justin Fitzgerald. Maybe, he is able to lure players back that have left and keep any more from transferring. If Henrico or Glen Allen make a playoff run, it may make the situation worse or at least tougher. Transfers to successful programs, especially teams on the verge, have been an issue or the norm (depending on your point of view) for the better part of the last decade. Whether the administration brings back an insider or an already proven coach from outside, the new staff will need to re-connect with the Middle School and Rec programs to keep and groom the player pipeline.

If you have seen Highland Springs approach to pregame warmups, it is the same thing. Top notch programs resemble that well oiled machine you speak of. Having seen multiple state championship games in my 20 years of being involved in the game, you see it every December. That's what separates great, good, average and poor teams.

If you have seen Highland Springs approach to pregame warmups, it is the same thing. Top notch programs resemble that well oiled machine you speak of. Having seen multiple state championship games in my 20 years of being involved in the game, you see it every December. That's what separates great, good, average and poor teams.

I haven't seen H. Springs' pregame routine, but I suspected it might be similar. When I have been able to watch teams warm up, most of what I have seen is not much different than what we did in Rec. Watching Herm last year, they looked more like a good college team getting ready to play. As a fan, player parent, administrator, or whatever, I would want my team to look that sharp warming up.

I haven't seen H. Springs' pregame routine, but I suspected it might be similar. When I have been able to watch teams warm up, most of what I have seen is not much different than what we did in Rec. Watching Herm last year, they looked more like a good college team getting ready to play. As a fan, player parent, administrator, or whatever, I would want my team to look that sharp warming up.

Amen! I'm surprised more teams do not take notice of the way a team like Highland Springs or even Hermitage in the past do it. It is truly a sight and for us football fans you cannot help appreciate it.

Anyone heard who Hermitage is looking at for FB HC?

I'm sure some of the coaches they were looking at the first go around are on that list. I won't name names without solid evidence mind you. Of course the job is not nearly as attractive as it was a year ago but I don't think it is a lost cause. I think with the right hire this program can be still be very good, maybe not elite like under Kane but still a contender.

from I seen of this year's team - they may need a head basketball coach too; soon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT