ADVERTISEMENT

High school football now has a tackle box -- sort of.

White hat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 17, 2001
The 2022 Football rules changes are out and the only real change is that passers are now permitted to ground the ball if they're outside the "pocket," as defined by the width of the free blocking zone. That's 4 yards on each side of the ball at the snap. And like in othr codes the ball has to make it back to the line of scrimmage.

Not sure anyone will notice because, given the unscientific survey of fans who yell from the stands, I believe most people thought this was the rule all along. I think most people don't realize each level of football has its own rules.

Another great rules change is also one that few will notice (even officials). It redefines a chop block to be a high-low double team block where one block is above the waist and one is below the waist. What's the difference? Well, the old rule actually said the low block had to be at or below the knee, if you can believe that. I think most guys called a chop block if the low block was below the waist anyway.

Also, for some reason, the number 0 is now allowed. 00 is not because you cannot make a double digit number that starts with 0, as in 00, 01, 02 etc.

The last one I think will matter, at least to coaches and officials, allows for a new circumstance where a penalty can be partially accepted with regards to timing. A few years ago a rule was put in place that allowed a team to elect to start the clock on the snap if the opponent commits a foul in the last two minutes of either half and the clock would normally be started on the ready-for-play. The yardage penalt had to be accepted for the coach to have the option of the clock remaining stopped. That's now changed so that the down and distance penalty can be declined, but the clock otion remains.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT