ADVERTISEMENT

High School football question

Aug 24, 2007
What is the reason for switching out footballs when a change of possession occurs? Why does the team on offense supply the ball?

Good question. Ask a quarterback.

The rules allow for a team to use their own ball so they fel like they have to. QBs will tell you that it makes a huge difference. Whatever.

When the VHSL started getting sponsorship $$ from Wilson and thereby required that only Wilson footballs could be used in semifinals and finals, a lot of teams started using them so they would be used to them if they made it tht far. Given that teams now use the same brand of ball, I thought we might get away with using one ball ona dry field. You would have thought I suggested we play barefoot on a field of broken glass. Coaches and QBs all said no way, that's the worst idea ever.

Fine. I'll go with it But I occassionally help officiate rec football and the ball is provided by the rec department. I get teams demanding they get to use their own ball. Coach claims his 10 year old son (it's always the coach's son) must use his own ball. Nope. I'm not buying that. We're not wasting several minutes each game waiting for someone to find the dang ball and get it on the field.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT