ADVERTISEMENT

Home side visitor side

hamspear

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2009
Arrowhead stadium
Is it rude for home field fans to sit on the visitor side? Is ok as long as they keep quiet? Is it ok because it is there home field? What if they are over there to just be a nuisance to the visiting fans? What if the visiting fans are complaining about a call or play ( it happens everywhere), and the home team fan interjects there thoughts on your side? Let me hear it folks!

Last edited:
Is it rude for home field fans to sit on the visitor side? Is ok as long as they keep quiet? Is it ok because it is there home field? What if they are over there to just be a nuisance to the visiting fans? What if the visiting fans are complaining about a call or play ( it happens everywhere), and the home team fan interjects there thoughts on your side? Let me hear it folks!
My question is why? Amherst experienced that one of the times we played Danville. One fan sit on our side but he was not quiet at all. He started as soon as the players and cheerleaders started. So bad that it caused a raucous to where an officer had to come over. He was first warned and then he was asked to leave. It happened again, same man. One of our fans cursed him out but was suspended for two of Amherst home games because of his language. Granted he understood and followed what our administrators asked. Back to my beginning statement, why do some feel they need to do that. I don't see the point. Sit on your home side unless you know some one from the visitor side

Reactions: hamspear
I've never understood why people do that unless the visitor stands are filled up when you get there. I don't get the appeal in sitting away from your fellow fans and being the one weird person who is loud when everyone else is quiet. We had some bozo at the Salem/Blacksburg game recently and he predictably ran his mouth when Blacksburg scored first(and was oddly quiet after a 15-14 game turned into a 47-15 game at half). You would have thought Blacksburg just scored on Alabama to win the CFP by how he reacted.

I mean, I guess just sit where you want and be an anti-social weirdo if that's your thing but if you're the kind of self-serving ass who does it so you can yell your head off to annoy the home side fans then stay at home and find a hobby or ask your spouse to pay more attention to you because lord knows you need it.

We go to Martinsburg and the top two row and part the next to the top row on our side are filled with Martinsburg fans, however never heard anything out of them.

I've never understood why people do that unless the visitor stands are filled up when you get there. I don't get the appeal in sitting away from your fellow fans and being the one weird person who is loud when everyone else is quiet. We had some bozo at the Salem/Blacksburg game recently and he predictably ran his mouth when Blacksburg scored first(and was oddly quiet after a 15-14 game turned into a 47-15 game at half). You would have thought Blacksburg just scored on Alabama to win the CFP by how he reacted.

I mean, I guess just sit where you want and be an anti-social weirdo if that's your thing but if you're the kind of self-serving ass who does it so you can yell your head off to annoy the home side fans then stay at home and find a hobby or ask your spouse to pay more attention to you because lord knows you need it.

Come on 1morehokie no comment on me breaking all redneck on that Blacksburg fan. My thought is if you want to do this you better be ready to get it back.

I don't under why someone would want to do it. At the Salem/Northside game there was a family that sat in the Salem reserved seats. They were told to move and then they moved behind the students who stand the whole entire game. I went to tell them they might want to move so they could enjoy actually seeing the game. The man bucked up all on me and was an a$$ then stated he should go sit on the Northside side since he was a Northside fan. My comment was yes you should bc that's where you belong. But he didn't stayed behind the students and didn't see anything for the whole game.

Everyone should come to Bruton- stands on only the home side. Unwritten rule is the near side to the gate is Bruton and the far half or so the vistor. The dividing line is not marked and leads to unusual cicumstances during the game.

Reactions: gwb16
Just like hermitage you all sit on one side and it gets testy. I remember going to the colonial forge hermitage game and it was down right crazy

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
My bigger pet peeve is schools that don't monitor the young fans. I don't want to mention the schools, but there are several, where the teen and pre-teen kids just do laps around the track the entire game and don't watch any of it, and try to instigate things with the fans and cheerleaders of the other team. It really is not that difficult to stop that if you have proper supervision and the will to do it.

Hopewell had large contingents of fans on both sides of the field when we went there, but since that was quite a hike, and there was still plenty of space available in their stands, it was not a problem. I accidentally got surrounded by Hopewell fans, because I got there early and even though I was on the visitor side, apparently this group liked standing up against the cement wall. It was actually very entertaining to get their perspective on the game.

I remember my HS days when boys from the opposing HS would walk around the track in front of our bleachers with their girlfriends. We'd throw pennies at the girls.

Just like hermitage you all sit on one side and it gets testy. I remember going to the colonial forge hermitage game and it was down right crazy
I thought it would be the same way when I went to the Bird at Hermitage playoff game, but all fans seemed respectful to each other.

I arrived a little late to our game against Hopewell. I was stuck at the end of the bleachers/concrete wall. Seems a good amount of Hopewell fans sit there. No problems or obnoxious fans. One hopewell fan was actually nice enough to inform me that my daughters car would be towed when he overheard her tell me where she had parked. Needless to say, he saved her some money had it gotten towed. Also I know my daughter tells me that the administration does not allow any students on the visitor side at Dinwiddie.

Louisa has signs up informing everyone to sit on their correct side, not sure how much they actually enforce it though.

My bigger pet peeve is schools that don't monitor the young fans. I don't want to mention the schools, but there are several, where the teen and pre-teen kids just do laps around the track the entire game and don't watch any of it, and try to instigate things with the fans and cheerleaders of the other team. It really is not that difficult to stop that if you have proper supervision and the will to do it.

Hopewell had large contingents of fans on both sides of the field when we went there, but since that was quite a hike, and there was still plenty of space available in their stands, it was not a problem. I accidentally got surrounded by Hopewell fans, because I got there early and even though I was on the visitor side, apparently this group liked standing up against the cement wall. It was actually very entertaining to get their perspective on the game.
I know Amherst in the past did not allow the student body to go over to the other side. Brookville kids walk over on the visitor sides all the time

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
I occasionally will sit on visitors side on Salem home games. Never say anything, just listen

I thought it would be the same way when I went to the Bird at Hermitage playoff game, but all fans seemed respectful to each other.
It was down right awful they had Henrico Police everywhere.... I think the game at Colonial Forge the year before left a bad taste in their mouth.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
When I was young and stupid (as opposed to now being old and stupid) my buddy and I used to walk from the Rustburg home side around to the Brookville visitor side. (since they were big rivals and always really good) We thought we were being bada$$ or something I guess, but we weren't "brave" enough or stupid enough to talk smack. We just walked over there to observe I guess, stupid teenagers, but still knew enough about self preservation to keep our mouths shut.

I sat on the visitors side for Pulaski Salem one time because the home side was full and I didn't want to bump into anyone I knew who would probably be curious who the woman was that was with me, since she wasn't my then wife. (Just a friend from work, nothing nefarious, although she did refer to herself as my postal wife)

Hamspear, prepare yourself for the fact that there will be more Fort Hill fans on the Away side Friday night than Sherando Fans, and I'm even assuming you'll bring a large crowd. Don't take offense, it's the way things are done there, for many reasons. One reason is that much of the Home Side, all of the primo seats at least, are held by Fort Hill Season Ticket Holders that have held the same seats and passed them down for 30, 40, maybe 50 plus years. So unless you are a season ticket holder, you go to the other side to get a good seat. In fact, most would actually agree that the Away side seating in Cumberland is far superior to the home side seating, that side is very high and steep and the best place in the house to watch the game. Also, a great deal of oldtimers, and semi-oldtimers like to hold court with each other along the fence that sits right atop the bleachers and stretches all the way to the school. It's social time, to hang out with buddies, young and old, plus it gets you quicker and easier access to bathrooms and the concession stand. Many people simply prefer it over there. I don't know how else to say this, but trust me it's true, at Greenway, whether it be a Fort Hill or Allegany game (it's a shared Stadium). nobody really views the other side as the away side, we basically view it as a second home side. You are more than welcomed to sit there of course, lol, there will be plenty of room. Just know that despite what others may tell you, Fort Hill fans will not be there with the express purpose of getting under the skin of Sherando fans, they are there regardless and will outnumber any visiting crowd. Scuttlebutt in Cumberland is that you are bringing 5 buses, I assume that is the team and cheerleaders and band, and not 5 fan buses. In either case, everyone is looking forward to a great game.

To stop the cheerleaders from grazing.;)
Yeah, and he said that about the Sherando cheerleaders, WHILE WE WERE SITTING WITH THE SHERANDO FANS! Fortunately, he was just kidding, and he was whispering. But, I was checking my back the rest of the game. (And rest assured, he was strictly being funny).

Reactions: OCBoy and hamspear
My question is why? Amherst experienced that one of the times we played Danville. One fan sit on our side but he was not quiet at all. He started as soon as the players and cheerleaders started. So bad that it caused a raucous to where an officer had to come over. He was first warned and then he was asked to leave. It happened again, same man. One of our fans cursed him out but was suspended for two of Amherst home games because of his language. Granted he understood and followed what our administrators asked. Back to my beginning statement, why do some feel they need to do that. I don't see the point. Sit on your home side unless you know some one from the visitor side
That's odd. A very small number of GW fans sit on that side. When I go to GW game I sit on that side because it's easy access and not much commotion on that side. I also like to talk to fans of the opposing team to learn about their team. I'm all for respecting the other team, and not as a negative response to your post but to the thread in general, but I've always been a believer that if you pay your $5 (some schools have went up to $8) price of admission then you should be able to sit where ever as long as you are respectful. This of course was not respectful at all by the guy from Danville and I'm sorry about this experience.

That's odd. A very small number of GW fans sit on that side. When I go to GW game I sit on that side because it's easy access and not much commotion on that side. I also like to talk to fans of the opposing team to learn about their team. I'm all for respecting the other team, and not as a negative response to your post but to the thread in general, but I've always been a believer that if you pay your $5 (some schools have went up to $8) price of admission then you should be able to sit where ever as long as you are respectful. This of course was not respectful at all by the guy from Danville and I'm sorry about this experience.
True as long as that person behaves himself. There was a very rude GW fan. He actually made fun of our cheerleaders to the point that some of our fans threatened him and rightly so. That is when one mom went and got someone to ask him to leave. He also tried to move a few fans blankets to the point where a mom actually shoved him out of the way and sit down so he couldn't move them. It was not good

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
DSH, $5 ticket makes me curious. $7 here at Dinwiddie. How about others?

I don't know that I recall there ever being an ugly exchange, etc., at any game where fans were sitting on the opposing team's side. I'm sure it's not uncommon, but I have just been fortunate.

Along similar lines, when I get to go to games other than Dinwiddie's, I always have a great time with whomever I sit around. Such as last weekend at the Sherando at Handley game. (But, my wife says I can carry on a conversation with a telephone pole, and I argue with that). I'm usually with Bleeding Navy and my crazy brother in law, aka "First Down". Navy usually takes no more than 57 seconds to find someone he played sports against. And First Down? Let's just say that shy and bashful are not two of his character traits.

I was told that the annual Thomas Dale/L C Bird game is $10. I can appreciate that, to a point. This game is a tremendous Chesterfield County rivalry game, that always sells out.

True as long as that person behaves himself. There was a very rude GW fan. He actually made fun of our cheerleaders to the point that some of our fans threatened him and rightly so. That is when one mom went and got someone to ask him to leave. He also tried to move a few fans blankets to the point where a mom actually shoved him out of the way and sit down so he couldn't move them. It was not good
That's unacceptable. He should have been kicked out of the stadium no questions asked. GW has it's extremes, not as bad as some, but that was totally out of line on his part.

DSH, $5 ticket makes me curious. $7 here at Dinwiddie. How about others?

I don't know that I recall there ever being an ugly exchange, etc., at any game where fans were sitting on the opposing team's side. I'm sure it's not uncommon, but I have just been fortunate.

Along similar lines, when I get to go to games other than Dinwiddie's, I always have a great time with whomever I sit around. Such as last weekend at the Sherando at Handley game. (But, my wife says I can carry on a conversation with a telephone pole, and I argue with that). I'm usually with Bleeding Navy and my crazy brother in law, aka "First Down". Navy usually takes no more than 57 seconds to find someone he played sports against. And First Down? Let's just say that shy and bashful are not two of his character traits.
Most schools in Southside/SWVA are $5. GW is $6 and I'm thinking Salem and Franklin Co are $6 too. I think $5 is fair and maybe $6 for a big game. I payed $7 at Herm and Hanover this year and $8 at Bird, which is totally ridiculous! I went to the HS/Henrico football and basketball games a couple years ago and both games were $10. I don't mind $10 for the state tournament and/or a good basketball tournament, but not one game. And you're right. I payed $10 admission to Bird/Dale last year.

DSH, the road work that was done in Danville as you go through on 58 was impressive, especially the lighting at night on the bridge over the river.

I agree. $10 is way too much for a regular season basketball game.

I think $7 around here is acceptable for a football game. I can see $8 sneaking in over the next few years. I believe $5 is the norm for basketball, but I'm not sure about that.

You coming to GW MV? We will save you you a seat on the home side.

DSH, the road work that was done in Danville as you go through on 58 was impressive, especially the lighting at night on the bridge over the river.
Yes sir, they've put a lot of money into the place. Hopefully they can get some good industries to invest in the area. Very beautiful place. I live on Arnett which looks down at the Union St Bridge so I had a very nice view. It's a really pretty place when the leaves change.

We need to go up though. With Navy and I taking all of these recruiting trips, we need more money to keep up with the others. For instance, Mike Salem guarantees every kid that comes to Salem a new car or truck of their choice. We just give them a free rental.

You coming to GW MV? We will save you you a seat on the home side.
I won't make it for the second straight year. My VCU boys open their basketball season on that night so I'll be here in Richmond for that. Last time I was in the Hole it was packed when GW played you guys in 14. Should be the best game of the series with both teams trying to get a top 4 seed. I really appreciate the offer because if I was coming I'd definitely sit on yalls side! It's a long and hilly walk to that visitors side lol!!

Reactions: ridge98
We need to go up though. With Navy and I taking all of these recruiting trips, we need more money to keep up with the others. For instance, Mike Salem guarantees every kid that comes to Salem a new car or truck of their choice. We just give them a free rental.
That is true, I just wish I was a recruit so I could get a handy van!

$6 last time I checked here in Salem, but since I've been blessed with the skybox the last 3 years I haven't had to pay so it could have changed. (Benefit of the recruiting trail I guess)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT