ADVERTISEMENT

Hopewell vs Lord Botetourt

Have you seen Hopewell's schedule ? They have stopped every back they seen this year. They completely shut down the Kid from Henrico with 30 Offers. I think the Thomas Dale game did not really matter if Tyree played. They jumped all on that 6A Team and they were way bigger than Hopewell. The RB from Dinwiddie is pretty damn good too and Hopewell stopped him from scoring as well. They are a big 4A school. The list goes on. Lets not forget about Prince George, and Phoebus' backfield. They did not score at all running the ball.
Been to 4 of Hopewell's games lol....The difference with LB is the size of the O line Rice is running behind.( 2 Transfers on O line @ 6'6 265 and 6'5 315) Also their #1 rec is a Transfer at 6'3 195 And Dinwiddie was not typical Dinwiddie this year even though they played better in the end. PG has a stud RB in 10th grader Allen and they had a great season as far as PG goes. Phoebus has a very good D, but really no offense at all scoring late on that pass in the back of the end zone. Im pretty sure LB will be the most complete team Hopewell has stepped on the field with this year .Their 5'9 QB will be hard to find sometimes behind all that size. Hopewell will have to play Hopewell football for 4 quarters Saturday to win this one

Reactions: Redrum8181
I'm a Hopewell fan. I 'll say that LB is a very good team. Rice is a good RB and they have at least 2 OL that are rated high for their class. The one is top 25 in state for the 21 class and I believe they have another that is pretty high for the 22 class. I know Heritage is an athletic team and LB took them down by 2 scores. Both of these teams are good. Tyree did not play against Hopewell, wouldn't have mattered much. Hopewell totally dominated TD on both sides of the ball. TD had some really fast backs playing but they couldn't get anywhere.

Match ups are crazy in Hopewell's area. They have struggled in the passing game, but haven't seen to much of a team running the ball on them. I'm a Prince George guy myself and our line was way bigger than Hopewell. They dominated us four quarters.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Been to 4 of Hopewell's games lol....The difference with LB is the size of the O line Rice is running behind.( 2 Transfers on O line @ 6'6 265 and 6'5 315) Also their #1 rec is a Transfer at 6'3 195 And Dinwiddie was not typical Dinwiddie this year even though they played better in the end. PG has a stud RB in 10th grader Allen and they had a great season as far as PG goes. Phoebus has a very good D, but really no offense at all scoring late on that pass in the back of the end zone. Im pretty sure LB will be the most complete team Hopewell has stepped on the field with this year .Their 5'9 QB will be hard to find sometimes behind all that size. Hopewell will have to play Hopewell football for 4 quarters Saturday to win this one
The 6'6 265 guy (Givens) is actually a TE. The two TEs are 265 and 260. Also, the #1 receiver Arnholt is definitely not a transfer as he has been in the Botetourt school system at least since middle school, if not longer.

Reactions: oxley70
Match ups are crazy in Hopewell's area. They have struggled in the passing game, but haven't seen to much of a team running the ball on them. I'm a Prince George guy myself and our line was way bigger than Hopewell. They dominated us four quarters.

Hopewell always comes up with a pick or two when a team throws much at all. They have plenty of speed in the secondary as you know.

Reactions: Redrum8181
The 6'6 265 guy (Givens) is actually a TE. The two TEs are 265 and 260. Also, the #1 receiver Arnholt is definitely not a transfer as he has been in the Botetourt school system at least since middle school, if not longer.
Should have specified but I was told #1 was the WR Transfer...could be wrong

It wasn't a typical Dinwiddie team. They got better during the middle of the season and played good down the stretch. They were playing better when they played Hopewell, but they were dominated after they got out to an early lead. Hopewell broke Dinwiddies 33 game regular season winning streak last year.

Should have specified but I was told #1 was the WR Transfer...could be wrong
#1 is Isaiah Stephens and he did transfer from Northside. That being said, he pretty much only plays defense as a DE/OLB. The 6'3 195 pound kid that you are thinking of is #11 Arnholt and he is practically the only receiver.

Last edited:
I know LB took out the defending state champs in Heritage and they were pretty good this year. I would be so quick to write them off. Long drives can keep the Hopewell offense off the field and then if you cna make them punt once or twice you got a real game.

[
#1 is Isaiah Stephens and he did transfer from Northside. That being said, he pretty much only plays defense as a DE/OLB. The 6'3 195 pound kid that you are thinking of is #11 Arnholt and he pretty much is the only receiver.

If Stephens has a big game I look for LB to win. Is he related to the other Stephens #44?

It wasn't a typical Dinwiddie team. They got better during the middle of the season and played good down the stretch. They were playing better when they played Hopewell, but they were dominated after they got out to an early lead. Hopewell broke Dinwiddies 33 game regular season winning streak last year.
Both Dinwiddie and Thomas Dale finally started playing better ball towards the end of the year. I was surprised at how undisciplined Dale had become on the O line( like it drifted East from Bird). Seemed like Tyree was hurt his last 2 years. He better get some weight before playing with the big boys. Hope he gets healed before he puts on that gold helmet

Hopewell +7
I’m going to go with my Blue Devils, LB is team that going to try to run the ball down your throat and wear you down for 4 quarters, and that plays to our favor. They have a few athletes and a big Oline, but I will take our defense with the best front 7 in the state. They are big but watching film they tend to lean and shoulder block, Hopewell has a great DLine coach former Hokie and Oakland Raider Jonathan Lewis that will have them taking advantage this.

Offensively we have too many weapons the focus being Henderson and Briggs, however if they ca be contained Cox is a change of pace back that’s big and loves contact that will run you over, he was a big part of our success last week, but before then had really been under utilized since Briggs returned from injury.

Last we have to win special teams a facet of the game we have typically used to our advantage was almost our Achilles heel last week.

I’m betting our team speed will play a major factor in Hopewell being 2019 Class 3 State Champs.
LB Coach Harless is a 2 time All American at DT so both D lines are educated well at the art of reaking havoc lol

I cant wait to see how they look on turf. I have been watching them slip & slide and can't cut the last few weeks. Hopefully the weather will not be terrible.
field turf gets slippery when wet too.

This game hinges on line play. If Hopewell can keep it even and win some battles on the line, then I have them winning by 14

Reactions: one man
@one man ill say I predicted the Dinwiddie game to be as hard as it was because I know both programs VERY well (played for both teams) and Coach Mills and Coach Irby both have that Pittsburgh vs Baltimore type rivalry towards each other. They both know what each one is going to do. I kept telling all of my hopewell friends that Mills gone keep them in the game by putting them in the best position to win a game (every coach say that but not all actually do it). Dinwiddie was just well prepared and won’t scared.

Now with Goochland I can’t say to much because I got there at halftime but from what I heard was.... Goochland was basically out coaching Irby until adjustments came after half. But I feel like it smart coaching on Goochland and Hopewell thought they was going to come to a packed Merner and just lay down. When they got the fake punt I was thinking it’s just not Hopewell day.

The weakness on offense has to be Eliades throwing thee ball. Sometimes it’s like he scared to give it to anybody else besides Trey when he throwing there ball. I think he should keep the ball more on his reads, I seen at least 3 times on the last scoring drive he could of broke for big yards. On defense the corners are easily. But don’t get me wrong they make Trey job a lot easier then it can be. I like 5 but he’s not physical enough for me. 21 he reminds me of myself same number and probably size (his size and looking in the backfield is his downfall) he likes to get physical and want the contact. Just have to stop looking in the backfield.

Appreciate your thoughts. I figured with Dinwiddie, the familiarity between teams/staffs had a bit to do wit it. Based on how the Goochland game went, you could clearly see that Hopewell "figured" things out in the 2nd half in terms of how to get stops and how to keep the chains moving on offense.

I wish your Blue Devils luck. I'd say they are the favorite in this one, looking forward to a great game, hope both sides stay healthy and may the best team win!

Reactions: DJENKS2015
Both Dinwiddie and Thomas Dale finally started playing better ball towards the end of the year. I was surprised at how undisciplined Dale had become on the O line( like it drifted East from Bird). Seemed like Tyree was hurt his last 2 years. He better get some weight before playing with the big boys. Hope he gets healed before he puts on that gold helmet

I hope he does too. Always pull for the guys around here.

I’d actually have to disagree with you on a few points.

Dinwiddie was the game we were out coached for the first half. We had 1 turn over we just couldn’t move the ball down the field and that had a lot to do with Dinwiddie’s game plan. Halftime adjustments were made and it got us back in the game.

Goochland was a game where we turned the ball a few fumbles and interception, 2 lost onside kicks you add those up and we gave Goochland 4-5 extra possessions and they capitalized threw the air. Goochland took advantage of a height difference with our best corner 21 and their tall wide receiver Coleman, we put 5 on him in the second half and he wasn’t as productive. 5(Jacen Fowlkes) may not be as physical to you but he is a 2x Class 3 state runner up wrestler at 170lbs he knows how to be physical and smart, he very rarely give up the big play you may get a 4 yard slant but he’s making the tackle.

the biggest weakness is Eilades (QB) but he does well managing the game and that’s why he’s still there he has a good back up that has gotten some reps but Eilades has continued to prove himself as a starter. He does rely on Trey in big moments but if he gets hot early in the game he will hit 7, 9, on quit outs or slants and even 2 out of the backfield. The problem is when he doesn’t have the chance to get hot and you are 3rd and 19 in the 3rd quarter and your forcing him to throw when he’s only had 2 or 3 passing attempts in the game.

Although he is our biggest weakness he reads the End well does a good job running when he has too is fast(4.4-4-5 kid) and knows game situation. We could be down 21 and not throw the ball and I’d be confident Hopewell would win by 7 our running game is that good. Goochland contained Trey and he had 221 yds on 21 carries and 3 touchdowns. No offense but LB is too big and too slow to match up.

Thanks for post sir. I've watched Hopewell twice this season and the QB stood out as the "weakness" on offense. He's a manager, a good one at that. Didn't appear to have a very strong arm in terms of velocity but he can throw it deep. Defensively, it was tough to find a weakness in the two games I saw (TD, Phoebus) They played physical and ran to the ball well. Couple plays, DBs came up immediately which could lead to some blown coverages against good playaction calls. Neither TD or Phoebus had much PA pass game though, none at least that caught Hopewell off guard.

Has LB seen a team like Hopewell this year ?

Heritage Lynchburg is close in terms of having some hefty guys in the trenches with speed to burn on the perimeter. Bluefield is probably the closest as they feature a slew of FBS commits including a 5 star DB in the '21 class. I don't expect either team to be shellshocked with what they see on friday. LB faced Tyree in scrimmage, Heritage and Bluefield so they've seen some speed this year. Not sure any of those teams are better than Hopewell but I guess we'll find out on Saturday.

If you haven’t played Hopewell this season, then you have not faced a dynamic player like Henderson. He is that good and simply put the most explosive player in the state. On the other hand LB is a physical team and has many really good parts. Just don’t know what will happen but if Hopewell wins it will have to be on Henderson’s back. Does He finally run into a team that has enough pieces to stop him? The Goochland game shocked me though. Thought Hopewell would have disposed of them relatively easy. I guess I will go with Hopewell 28-24

If you haven’t played Hopewell this season, then you have not faced a dynamic player like Henderson. He is that good and simply put the most explosive player in the state. On the other hand LB is a physical team and has many really good parts. Just don’t know what will happen but if Hopewell wins it will have to be on Henderson’s back. Does He finally run into a team that has enough pieces to stop him? The Goochland game shocked me though. Thought Hopewell would have disposed of them relatively easy. I guess I will go with Hopewell 28-24

Briggs and Cox are both very good. Hopewell does it the same way every game. The Hopewell OL is very good too.

ELwAJU_WkAEgfkv

Hopewell Blue Devils Sports @HHS_VA_Sports
Lynchburg bound!
Will provide score updates and highlights!
Let’s Go Blue Devils!

#RingTheWell

14-0 halftime but hats off to LB because it could’ve been a lot worse made some good defensive stands 1 inside the 20 and the other on the 1. Hopefully we keep the pedal to the metal this half. Hopewell ball after kickoff

Reactions: CHUKNOW
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT