ADVERTISEMENT

Hopewell vs Lord Botetourt

Hopewell has Henderson who has offers from Clemson, Oklahoma, Penn St, VA Tech and others. I'm sure Hopewell has other very good players.

Lord Botetourt
Gage Bassham OL committed to Liberty
Isaiah Stephens committed to Coastal Carolina
Colston Powers OL offers from Louisville, West Virginia, UVA and Iowa State.
Hunter Rice offers from UVA and Liberty
Gunner Givens OL offers from Appalachian State, Louisville, Virginia, Georgia Tech and VA Tech
They also have 2 or 3 other players that are getting looks.
They lost their leader for the season in game against Bluefield I believe Evan Eller who has offers from Army, Navy, Air Force and some IVY league schools.

Can Botetourt control with their huge line and very hard running game? Test of wills. I believe these two played one other time in state semifinals a two or three years ago won by Botetourt 28-17.

Hopewell has Henderson who has offers from Clemson, Oklahoma, Penn St, VA Tech and others. I'm sure Hopewell has other very good players.

Lord Botetourt
Gunner Givens OL offers from Appalachian State, Louisville, Virginia, Georgia Tech and VA Tech
They lost their leader for the season in game against Bluefield I believe Evan Eller who has offers from Army, Navy, Air Force and some IVY league schools.

Can Botetourt control with their huge line and very hard running game? Test of wills. I believe these two played one other time in state semifinals a two or three years ago won by Botetourt 28-17.

You are correct, the year was 2015.

Best football team I seen this season , including Salem and Pulaski, Bot lines up and smacks them in the mouth. Going with the good ol boys

Best football team I seen this season , including Salem and Pulaski, Bot lines up and smacks them in the mouth. Going with the good ol boys
Well that’s very disturbing you called LB, which is a predominantly white school, “the good ole boys”.. They are playing a predominantly black team for the ones who will minimize this comment and say it’s nothing... That’s almost as bad as the 49ers commentator smh...

Reactions: MrSir#5

Lord Botetourt

Well that’s very disturbing you called LB, which is a predominantly white school, “the good ole boys”.. They are playing a predominantly black team for the ones who will minimize this comment and say it’s nothing... That’s almost as bad as the 49ers commentator smh...
Seems to me what he wrote is no different than you putting a "z" at the end boy(z). Plus you are assuming that he knows the racial makeup of both schools.

Reactions: oxley70
Should be a good game. Just wanted to say that Henderson has been offered also by Lsu, Bama, UGA, Ohio st. Also 2 years ago Hopewell won the state championship. They have a very good Defense and really all around team. The offensive line is also big and very good. I 've watched them several times this year. Very good team speed, very well coached. Henderson has averaged almost 13 yards a carry for the season, but they have 2 really good backs besides him.

Last edited:

I can think of at least 2 ways that could have been read and neither were black/white. (I'm sure if I thought longer I could come up with more ways to interpret this)
-I thought of the OL, we call them Mules in Salem.
-He's riding with the boys in his neighborhood, SWVA

Let's not jump to conclusions.

Come on let's not get offended and make this about race. This is a championship game against 2 teams that have achieved a lot. Don't take away from the game. Both teams have white and black players on them. This is nothing new for these teams to be playing against black or white players.

Reactions: oxley70
Hopewell +7
I’m going to go with my Blue Devils, LB is team that going to try to run the ball down your throat and wear you down for 4 quarters, and that plays to our favor. They have a few athletes and a big Oline, but I will take our defense with the best front 7 in the state. They are big but watching film they tend to lean and shoulder block, Hopewell has a great DLine coach former Hokie and Oakland Raider Jonathan Lewis that will have them taking advantage this.

Offensively we have too many weapons the focus being Henderson and Briggs, however if they ca be contained Cox is a change of pace back that’s big and loves contact that will run you over, he was a big part of our success last week, but before then had really been under utilized since Briggs returned from injury.

Last we have to win special teams a facet of the game we have typically used to our advantage was almost our Achilles heel last week.

I’m betting our team speed will play a major factor in Hopewell being 2019 Class 3 State Champs.

Does LB have the speed to keep up with Hopewell? You can be big as you want that doesn’t phase Hopewell as they’ve proven that all year. I think it’s going to be a track meet. They have what I think is arguably the best trio of backs in the state with a legit defense that’s in discussion also for best in the state. So with that I’m saying SPEED KILLS.... Hopewell +14

Reactions: Redrum8181
Execution, Controlling the Trenches and winning the Turnover game will be the key . Which team can do that. Hunter Rice will be a major issue for Hopewell as well as Briggs/ Henderson will be for LB. Gonna be a good street corner fist fight come Saturday. LB 24 Hopewell 20 ( I hope no one is offended or gets their feelings hurt with this post)

Reactions: oxley70 and CHUKNOW
Execution, Controlling the Trenches and winning the Turnover game will be the key . Which team can do that. Hunter Rice will be a major issue for Hopewell as well as Briggs/ Henderson will be for LB. Gonna be a good street corner fist fight come Saturday. LB 24 Hopewell 20 ( I hope no one is offended or gets their feelings hurt with this post)
I don't see Rice being a major threat against Hopewell. I know that goes against most but just my gut telling me he will not reach 75 yards.

Don't know if Hopewell thought Goochland was trash and didn't come to play or if Goochland was just better than everyone thought. Before last weekend, I thought Hopewell had a very legit defense but Goochland carved them up with mix of run and pass in the first half. LB has much better lineplay than Goochland. While LB doesn't have the depth of athletes Goochland did, they're style of play is ground and pound and they've got 3 guys that can tote the mail between the tackles and fall forward on contact. This will be the first game all season that Hopewell doesn't have the advantage in the trenches. Will be interesting to see how their big boys handle that, I'd assume with a big chip on the shoulder. Hopewell has clear edge in team speed. Henderson and Rice are top two players in C3, both are just juniors which is crazy. They both play both sides so I'm sure they'll be face to face on more than a few occasions. This is the toughest game to predict IMO. 2nd most intriguing behind Galax-Riverheads rematch. Special teams might be the difference, field position on punts/kickoffs and PATs could decide it

Keys for LB - Can they contain Henderson's big plays and connect on 2-3 passes to move the chains when Hopewell loads the box. Bring out some new unbalanced offensive sets, throw in some motion, make Hopewell defense think and move pre-snap, all it takes is 1-2 misalignments for a big play behind their OL. Take care of the football!!
Keys for Hopewell - Get up on LB early, they haven't trailed by more than a score all season, will be interesting to see how they'd respond to playing from behind. Split Henderson out wide in the slot and pass him the ball. LB's weakness, if they have one, is the secondary with Eller gone. The front 7 is so good, teams don't have time to pass consistently.

Irby and Harless are two of the best in the state regardless of class. Going to be tough when it's over because they both deserve this one with the seasons they've had. Top two defenses in C3, I expect lower scoring game. I'm calling a game winning two point conversion followed by defensive stop. LB 22 Hopewell 21.

I don't see Rice being a major threat against Hopewell. I know that goes against most but just my gut telling me he will not reach 75 yards.
If Rice doesn't reach 75 yards rushing the game will not even be close. I would be extremely surprised if he was held below that total.

Hopewell trailed 13-0 against dinwiddie and 21-7 last week

I was saying a key for Hopewell is to get up on LB early because LB hasn't trailed by more than a score this year. I'm interested to see how LB would respond to being down by more than a score.

@DJENKS2015 @BlueDevil55
In those two games that Hopewell went down early. What were the main culprits? Came out flat? Players weren't making plays? Turnovers? Other team just executed good game plans?

Also, what would you two consider to be Hopewell's biggest weakness? Always interesting to hear from people close to a program.

Reactions: DJENKS2015
If Rice doesn't reach 75 yards rushing the game will not even be close. I would be extremely surprised if he was held below that total.
I agree, If Hopewell holds him under 100, they will win going away. It's the title game, that man will get 30 carries. If Hopewell holds him under 150 they've done well. He gets over 200, I'd say it bodes well for LB.

Reactions: Shabutie
@one man ill say I predicted the Dinwiddie game to be as hard as it was because I know both programs VERY well (played for both teams) and Coach Mills and Coach Irby both have that Pittsburgh vs Baltimore type rivalry towards each other. They both know what each one is going to do. I kept telling all of my hopewell friends that Mills gone keep them in the game by putting them in the best position to win a game (every coach say that but not all actually do it). Dinwiddie was just well prepared and won’t scared.

Now with Goochland I can’t say to much because I got there at halftime but from what I heard was.... Goochland was basically out coaching Irby until adjustments came after half. But I feel like it smart coaching on Goochland and Hopewell thought they was going to come to a packed Merner and just lay down. When they got the fake punt I was thinking it’s just not Hopewell day.

The weakness on offense has to be Eliades throwing thee ball. Sometimes it’s like he scared to give it to anybody else besides Trey when he throwing there ball. I think he should keep the ball more on his reads, I seen at least 3 times on the last scoring drive he could of broke for big yards. On defense the corners are easily. But don’t get me wrong they make Trey job a lot easier then it can be. I like 5 but he’s not physical enough for me. 21 he reminds me of myself same number and probably size (his size and looking in the backfield is his downfall) he likes to get physical and want the contact. Just have to stop looking in the backfield.

Reactions: one man
Rice will be the best back for his style that Hopewell has faced this year. His speed is very deceptive. He will most likely be the best MLB that Hopewell has faced

Reactions: catchtds
I’d actually have to disagree with you on a few points.

Dinwiddie was the game we were out coached for the first half. We had 1 turn over we just couldn’t move the ball down the field and that had a lot to do with Dinwiddie’s game plan. Halftime adjustments were made and it got us back in the game.

Goochland was a game where we turned the ball a few fumbles and interception, 2 lost onside kicks you add those up and we gave Goochland 4-5 extra possessions and they capitalized threw the air. Goochland took advantage of a height difference with our best corner 21 and their tall wide receiver Coleman, we put 5 on him in the second half and he wasn’t as productive. 5(Jacen Fowlkes) may not be as physical to you but he is a 2x Class 3 state runner up wrestler at 170lbs he knows how to be physical and smart, he very rarely give up the big play you may get a 4 yard slant but he’s making the tackle.

the biggest weakness is Eilades (QB) but he does well managing the game and that’s why he’s still there he has a good back up that has gotten some reps but Eilades has continued to prove himself as a starter. He does rely on Trey in big moments but if he gets hot early in the game he will hit 7, 9, on quit outs or slants and even 2 out of the backfield. The problem is when he doesn’t have the chance to get hot and you are 3rd and 19 in the 3rd quarter and your forcing him to throw when he’s only had 2 or 3 passing attempts in the game.

Although he is our biggest weakness he reads the End well does a good job running when he has too is fast(4.4-4-5 kid) and knows game situation. We could be down 21 and not throw the ball and I’d be confident Hopewell would win by 7 our running game is that good. Goochland contained Trey and he had 221yds on 21 carries and 3 touchdowns. No offense but LB is too big and too slow to match up.

Last edited:
Rice will be the best back for his style that Hopewell has faced this year. His speed is very deceptive. He will most likely be the best MLB that Hopewell has faced

Yea because the don’t make 6’0 200lb backs that run 4.6 any more lol. I’ve watched tape the defense you all play have 300lb Dline and slow 4.8 linebackers. Hunter Rice is good don’t get me wrong but I don’t think he is anything extraordinary Henrico, Dinwiddie, Norcom all had similar backs too him,
And This year maybe but a lot of these guy played against K’Vaughn Pope and he’s 2 deep at Ohio State right now.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
I think he runs very patiently, I think he was faster last year.

Reactions: one man
@BlueDevil55 yea you’re right with the dinwiddie game. The Goochland game I can only speak on the 2nd half I just conclude that game with “it was the worse game they played”. After the game I talked to the coaches and one said he just told them “s*** we down 21-7 3 turnovers, hell we can’t play any worse just go out and ball”. I know we can both agree LB is to slow. The size is least of my worries Hopewell always been small and will always be small compared to others

Hopewell probably has more speed than Highland Springs and Varina, Richmond’s best two teams. They are fast!

Hopewell is very fast, speed everywhere.

Man did Trey turn it on for the 82 yarder. The Goochland safeties were good players, but he ran by that guy like he was standing still.

@BlueDevil55 yea you’re right with the dinwiddie game. The Goochland game I can only speak on the 2nd half I just conclude that game with “it was the worse game they played”. After the game I talked to the coaches and one said he just told them “s*** we down 21-7 3 turnovers, hell we can’t play any worse just go out and ball”. I know we can both agree LB is to slow. The size is least of my worries Hopewell always been small and will always be small compared to others

Hopewell helped Goochland a little with a couple off sides. It was the worst game I saw Hopewell play this year and the Goochland coach knew he was the heavy underdog and coached like it.

Yea because the don’t make 6’0 200lb backs that run 4.6 any more lol. I’ve watched tape the defense you all play have 300lb Dline and slow 4.8 linebackers. Hunter Rice is good don’t get me wrong but I don’t think he is anything extraordinary Henrico, Dinwiddie, Norcom all had similar backs too him,
And This year maybe but a lot of these guy played against K’Vaughn Pope and he’s 2 deep at Ohio State right now.
Enjoyed watching Pope play. Probably seen him in 20 games or so. Very Athletic kid

Reactions: BlueDevil55
Does Hopewell at least get the experience factor? They just won it all 2017. Not to mention Henderson, Briggs, Ruffin, Cox played big minutes that year along with a few others, so they already know what to expect come Saturday

You don’t mind mincing your words bro LOL! I agree! I appreciate you being honest.

Have you seen Hopewell's schedule ? They have stopped every back they seen this year. They completely shut down the Kid from Henrico with 30 Offers. I think the Thomas Dale game did not really matter if Tyree played. They jumped all on that 6A Team and they were way bigger than Hopewell. The RB from Dinwiddie is pretty damn good too and Hopewell stopped him from scoring as well. They are a big 4A school. The list goes on. Lets not forget about Prince George, and Phoebus' backfield. They did not score at all running the ball.

Have you seen Hopewell's schedule ? They have stopped every back they seen this year. They completely shut down the Kid from Henrico with 30 Offers. I think the Thomas Dale game did not really matter if Tyree played. They jumped all on that 6A Team and they were way bigger than Hopewell. The RB from Dinwiddie is pretty damn good too and Hopewell stopped him from scoring as well. They are a big 4A school. The list goes on. Lets not forget about Prince George, and Phoebus' backfield. They did not score at all running the ball.

I'm a Hopewell fan. I 'll say that LB is a very good team. Rice is a good RB and they have at least 2 OL that are rated high for their class. The one is top 25 in state for the 21 class and I believe they have another that is pretty high for the 22 class. I know Heritage is an athletic team and LB took them down by 2 scores. Both of these teams are good. Tyree did not play against Hopewell, wouldn't have mattered much. Hopewell totally dominated TD on both sides of the ball. TD had some really fast backs playing but they couldn't get anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redrum8181
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT