ADVERTISEMENT

How Disrespectful can Some TeamsBe

homeNabroad

VaPreps Rookie
Oct 31, 2014
Patrick Henry High School played Salem 4A. Patrick Henry Band played loud as they could on third downs through the whole play. Shows no respect Thoughts please

Fans & bands are part of the game. This is like complaining because fans made noise on 3rd down. If the referees didn't call a penalty, it must have been fine.

I think first off alot of you dont understand the issue here. First off it is a sport respect should always be shown. Patrick henry band was not playing a song during these 3rd downs. They were attentinally just trying to be loud, i would of understood them doing this to the line of scrimmage but not thru the whole play

What's the difference between them making noise before the play & making noise during the play? Like, what's the actual harm done outside of offending your sensibilities?

Reactions: dblplaa
Patrick Henry High School played Salem 4A. Patrick Henry Band played loud as they could on third downs through the whole play. Shows no respect Thoughts please
You definitely won't get any response your looking for on the 5A board with the big nova schools etc they play in that environment every Friday it's nothing to them

If I were a band director from a school who plays Salem, this thread would make me want to play continuously while Salem was on offense.

Reactions: OCBoy
There's nothing odd about it! It happens everywhere. Watch college games with 100,000 fans screaming as loud as they can with a marching band with 500 people in it!!! Now that's loud.
In RVA mostly D5 ( some D3 some D4 some D6) Most bands are, let's say encouraged to play as loud as possible when the opposing offense has the ball. It's football for Heaven's sake. It's not golf!
Ever hear of the 12th man? That would be the fans/band and anything that might be loud enough to distract the opposition. air horns, cowbells, all kinds of noise makers ( including the band).
Good thing you're not playing HSHS, our band does it nonstop and we have a large, loud band!...and we love them for it!! Our band is basically our "student section".

There's nothing odd about it! It happens everywhere. Watch college games with 100,000 fans screaming as loud as they can with a marching band with 500 people in it!!! Now that's loud.
In RVA mostly D5 ( some D3 some D4 some D6) Most bands are, let's say encouraged to play as loud as possible when the opposing offense has the ball. It's football for Heaven's sake. It's not golf!
Ever hear of the 12th man? That would be the fans/band and anything that might be loud enough to distract the opposition. air horns, cowbells, all kinds of noise makers ( including the band).
Good thing you're not playing HSHS, our band does it nonstop and we have a large, loud band!...and we love them for it!!
One of the best bands in the state!!

Noise is noise. Cow bells, fans yelling and noise makers are used on a regular basis....I personally don't have an issue with the band playing as there are already distractions.

mountain out of an ant hill......some fans care more about that than players..imo

When the ref on the clock can't hear the dead ball whistle before a snap, it certainly can cause problems. I have seen it from bands even when their own team has the ball.

When the ref on the clock can't hear the dead ball whistle before a snap, it certainly can cause problems. I have seen it from bands even when their own team has the ball.
that would mean...THE NOISE WORKED!!!!
MORE NOISE PLEASE!!!
OMG! Seriously? Dude maybe you shouldn't stick with Football, stick with golf, chess, diving, figure skating or bowling, where noise isn't tolerated!

Reactions: LT93Bunny
The clock running when it should be stopped is a problem. I did not say eliminate all noise like your douchebag comment implies. Make as much noise as you want. But the band and p.a. announcer should stop when the play starts.

When the players are moving, the umpire's arm is not always immediately visible, even if the umpire is waving them.

And the reason it is a sportsmanship violation for the PA announcer is because he has amplification louder than a human. Bands using their instruments as amplifications also violate the spirit of sportsmanship, but they are almost impossible to police, which is why everyone is blasting the original poster.

I never said it was a problem that must be stopped at all costs, but I sit right next to the ref on the clock every week, so I am pretty knowledgeable about the problems it causes, whether it SHOULD cause them or not.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
You know what else is hard? Having to write a game story without being able to view the video first.

When the players are moving, the umpire's arm is not always immediately visible, even if the umpire is waving them.

And the reason it is a sportsmanship violation for the PA announcer is because he has amplification louder than a human. Bands using their instruments as amplifications also violate the spirit of sportsmanship, but they are almost impossible to police, which is why everyone is blasting the original poster.

I never said it was a problem that must be stopped at all costs, but I sit right next to the ref on the clock every week, so I am pretty knowledgeable about the problems it causes, whether it SHOULD cause them or not.

Wow, hard to believe that there are 252 D1 FBS/FCS teams, making about 126 games a week that are much louder than HS games. The clock operator is much further away from the whistle. Yet they make it work every Saturday. This is the second time posters on here have complained about noise. Here/4A board and on the 2A board a few weeks ago. I get it that bands during the play may be disrespectful but noise is a part of football (or should be). Go to some Generic HS games in NOVA or a 1A game where there is only 500 people there, then you will be wondering where the noise is at or even where the band is at. The atmosphere is what makes playing at home fun, going into a hostile environment and winning is fun, football is fun for the young men playing. Let's stop worrying about bands, noise, and the train horn guy from Glenvar.

There is different technology on college as far as clocks on the field, and every play is reviewable.

This is not directly applicable, but it has been the cause of some fans to go "nuts"!

Most of the most modern scoreboards have wireless capabilities. And as such, there is occasionally a lag time in starting or stopping the clock. I have seen the White Hat stop the game a few times until the time could be reset. Everybody is screaming at the clock operator like he is doing it on purpose, which I find sad. Many clock operators are veteran officials that have reached the point were it is physically too demanding to run up and down the field on Friday nights. So they still contribute by anchoring the officiating team from the press booth.

Which leads me to an interesting story. Like most schools, Dinwiddie has a 50/50 raffle at the football games. But first, a little background.

A few years ago, one of Dinwiddie's long term supporters had an old friend stop by to see him during on a football Friday. This visitor is a Canadian, and was on the way home from a visit to Florida. The visitor is a distinguished and life long college football referee up there. It was only natural to convince him to stay the night and come to the game.

As I stated above about many referees, time and toil had forced him up to the press booth to be a clock operator in recent years. He was invited up to our press booth to meet our clock operator, and the rest of spotters, etc. It was a big hit for both the visitor as well as the press booth team. Both were amazed at how similar press booth functions and clock operators jobs are in both countries. (Before anyone says anything like, "how difficult could it be to start and stop a clock", don't go there. If you have never done it, you can't possibly understand).

Many of you know that Dinwiddie blows a huge siren when the team takes the field. The Canadian visitor was given the honor of performing this task. It's considered somewhat of a unique privalage to be asked to perform this duty, consequently the visitor was noticeably proud.

After taking his seat, the raffle ticket seller came around, working the crowd. Apparently this is not a usual happening up north of the border. After an explanation of how it worked, the visitor bought only one ticket, if I recall correctly. You can see where this is going! Yep, they called his number. And, it happened to be an unusually large pot that night.

I guess our Canadian guest is still talking about his American friend and his brief and enjoyable visit to Dinwiddie. Oh yeah, I almost forgot. That famous Dinwiddie supporter that invited him..., was ostracized and shunned for all time for bringing in a damn Canadian to take OUR money back home to Canada.

Gonna ramble a bit here.

Sometimes band directors don't pay attention to / lose attention in the game.
I've seen HS band guys have to yell "stop" or "quiet" because their OFFENSE was at the LoS.
(Of course, hard for BD to see that if their back is to the field.)
Personally, I think USC should be called ANYTIME a band plays more than a couple of seconds after the O lines up.
How would THEY like it if ppl. came to their concert and yelled things to try and distract them?
The band should SUPPLEMENT the game, not INTERFERE in.
----

Non-sports $$$ gripe. Went to a political dinner/rally today. Lady was selling 50/50 tickets in the lobby, so I bought some.
After I got in, someone walked around with a box to take up donations. Stood beside me for about 20 seconds even though I was ignoring him. Sheesh.
-----

Always funny when a visitor wins the 50/50.
-----

Always heard that finding a Canadian penny was supposed to be lucky. Guess that friend had a penny in his pocket that night.
------

Game clocks should not be visible to the fans. They always howl when an adjustment is made.
The whole film review thing near the end is crazy.
If timekeeper was a half-second slow stopping the clock, pretty good chance he was a half-second slow starting it, too.
Make ONE official adjustment (if a close game) with about a minute left, so game clock is a half-second "fast".
Then when it's started, it's almost exact with the official time. Adjust again in final second if needed.

Sometimes band directors don't pay attention to / lose attention in the game.
I've seen HS band guys have to yell "stop" or "quiet" because their OFFENSE was at the LoS.
(Of course, hard for BD to see that if their back is to the field.)
Personally, I think USC should be called ANYTIME a band plays more than a couple of seconds after the O lines up.
How would THEY like it if ppl. came to their concert and yelled things to try and distract them?
The band should SUPPLEMENT the game, not INTERFERE in.

I would not assume that those bands playing loudly while the other team's offense is at the LOS are not paying attention. Sure, there are bad band directors out there. But there are also some great ones that are very football-savvy. I watched a band this past Friday make so much noise the other team couldn't call an audible & had to call a timeout. That wasn't a mistake.

I would be fine with a rule like they have in the NCAA where you can't play once they set on the line of scrimmage. Until that happens, bands should play in a way that supports their team's goal, even if it annoys some people.

oh, other team - they usually ARE paying attn. But not always. Years back, Grundy NEVER played at the LoS unless caught off guard. Director may have a :30 thing planned for after a play, then the O lines up faster than expected, say, in hurry-up mode.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT