ADVERTISEMENT

How do Springers Compare

Nov 26, 2017
With the Springers having a shot to 4peat this weekend, was wondering how everyone thinks this run stacks up in comparison to the runs of Hampton and Phoebus

With the Springers having a shot to 4peat this weekend, was wondering how everyone thinks this run stacks up in comparison to the runs of Hampton and Phoebus
Hard to “compare”! Different generation. Different playoff structure(6 division now). More playoff games now. 4 in a row is tough...no question about it. These players this year,some were freshmen when they won the first, and some were still in middle school. Those Hampton and Phoebus teams were incredible,but these HSHS teams have been pretty darn good too. The Curry led Hampton team is still the best team I’ve ever seen. I’m hoping that HSHS can join this elite duo,but a very good SB team is also looking for their 2nd Title in their history. Fact is...If HSHS gets #4...they could very well end up with 5 or 6 before the run is over.

Imho....4 in a row is 4 in a row,and that speaks for itself. To compare the 3 is unfair,because they are all incredible. I’d like HSHS to end up standing alone with more than 4,but let’s get #4 first!

Hard to “compare”! Different generation. Different playoff structure(6 division now). More playoff games now. 4 in a row is tough...no question about it. These players this year,some were freshmen when they won the first, and some were still in middle school. Those Hampton and Phoebus teams were incredible,but these HSHS teams have been pretty darn good too. The Curry led Hampton team is still the best team I’ve ever seen. I’m hoping that HSHS can join this elite duo,but a very good SB team is also looking for their 2nd Title in their history. Fact is...If HSHS gets #4...they could very well end up with 5 or 6 before the run is over.

Imho....4 in a row is 4 in a row,and that speaks for itself. To compare the 3 is unfair,because they are all incredible. I’d like HSHS to end up standing alone with more than 4,but let’s get #4 first!
Its like comparing MJ to Kobe to LBJ, how old you are answers that question! I will say that Phoebus lost to eventual state champ SB or it couldve very well been 6 in a row(5 out of 6 years)

Its like comparing MJ to Kobe to LBJ, how old you are answers that question! I will say that Phoebus lost to eventual state champ SB or it couldve very well been 6 in a row(5 out of 6 years)
SB is what’s standing in the way of 4 for HSHS. I’m an actual type of person,so I don’t really consider what “COULD’VE happened. 5 out of 6 is incredible! No doubt about it! I don’t compare the 3! As you said...it’s like comparing 3 greats in 3 different generations. I can promise you....I won’t think any less of anyone that wins 4 in a row,regardless of when they won them. When/if HSHS gets their 4th,I’m sure they’ll proudly stand side by side in history with those 2 amazing runs.

Then....we can worry about possibly #5 Next yr,but let’s finish #4 first. Can’t try for 5 without #4!

Reactions: SportsJunkie32
SB is what’s standing in the way of 4 for HSHS. I’m an actual type of person,so I don’t really consider what “COULD’VE happened. 5 out of 6 is incredible! No doubt about it! I don’t compare the 3! As you said...it’s like comparing 3 greats in 3 different generations. I can promise you....I won’t think any less of anyone that wins 4 in a row,regardless of when they won them. When/if HSHS gets their 4th,I’m sure they’ll proudly stand side by side in history with those 2 amazing runs.

Then....we can worry about possibly #5 Next yr,but let’s finish #4 first. Can’t try for 5 without #4!

I agree getting 4 would be impressive considering there are teams out there with none. I definitely agree with the basketball analogy as well, you can not compare.

On another note @HooSprings and @springer76 I grew use to your aggressive banter or more suitably passion for HSHS. I admit, I found myself logging on just to read your posts on how unbeatable HSHS have become. What happened? Either way, you definitely have a good group of kids and I can tell the bruhz have really impacted these young men lives. I enjoyed the article on the "Seat Belt Gang" and the episodes on youtube. I especially appreciated the episode when the coaches got on the kids about their SAT's.
Hopefully you won't disappoint and the chatter will commence.

Reactions: TIGER...NATION
I coached against both teams. 2011 Phoebus State Semis when they were going for 4 peat. And highland springs this summer in August Scrimmage. Highland Springs IMO has the advantage in Depth and overall scheme. Phoebus was very one dimensional and it took them to throw for over 200 yards to beat us in overtime. Highland Springs way way more balance on offense. Also Highland Springs Front 7 IMO is better. Both were physical and fast bust HSHS is better. Their ability to put corners 1 on 1 IMO makes them better. Biggest thing is Coach Johnson's discipline. Overall both were discipline teams. HSHS is like a machine. They do not get rattled and they play within themselves. Both are great teams but HSHS IMO is better then the Phoebus team we played in 2011. Also we have scrimmaged HSHS everyear since 2010. I have coached against all of the past four teams. All of them unbelievable on both sides of the ball.

I coached against both teams. 2011 Phoebus State Semis when they were going for 4 peat. And highland springs this summer in August Scrimmage. Highland Springs IMO has the advantage in Depth and overall scheme. Phoebus was very one dimensional and it took them to throw for over 200 yards to beat us in overtime. Highland Springs way way more balance on offense. Also Highland Springs Front 7 IMO is better. Both were physical and fast bust HSHS is better. Their ability to put corners 1 on 1 IMO makes them better. Biggest thing is Coach Johnson's discipline. Overall both were discipline teams. HSHS is like a machine. They do not get rattled and they play within themselves. Both are great teams but HSHS IMO is better then the Phoebus team we played in 2011. Also we have scrimmaged HSHS everyear since 2010. I have coached against all of the past four teams. All of them unbelievable on both sides of the ball.
Very fascinating to hear your opinion, you guys run a great program over at North

Very fascinating to hear your opinion, you guys run a great program over at North
I really want HSHS battle tested next year. I’m hoping to get NSTAFFORD and CForge BOTH on HSHS’s schedule next year. Talking about 2 great games!!! WOW!! Thank you for the compliments @Coach Joe73 . NS is always a great scrimmage for both teams.

I really want HSHS battle tested next year. I’m hoping to get NSTAFFORD and CForge BOTH on HSHS’s schedule next year. Talking about 2 great games!!! WOW!! Thank you for the compliments @Coach Joe73 . NS is always a great scrimmage for both teams.
Would love to see it too..we played a couple times back when Gary Jennings was here and would love to see y’all back on our schedule or in a scrimmage, would give our guys a real test to see where we are next to the states best and/or what it takes to get there without having to worry about seeing you guys again in the postseason, we’ve been so close for so many years and it feels like the chips are bound to fall our way one of these years

Reactions: springer76
The 2011 Phoebus Team was definitely the weakest out of the their championship teams. They were a two lost team that season so I definitely agree with your assessment about Phoebus. The Hampton 98 (4th team also) was their weakest team out of their 4-peat. While it may be impossible to compare the three (Hampton/Phoebus/Springs) teams from a season to season basis what it so impressive about what Highland Springs is doing is that unlike Hampton/Phoebus their run is getting stronger and gaining more momemtum while the other two programs were fighting tooth and nail to get number 4. Of with reclassification the argument can be made that Hampton/Phoebus did it in a more competitive environment
The 2011 Phoebus team was definitely the weakest out of their 4-peat teams. Likewise with Hampton their 4th team (98) out of the 4 peat was their weakest team. Winning 4 in a row is extremely hard, opponents gunning for you, every game is your opponents championship game. New kids and parents that are entitled and think that you should win the championship just by putting on that helmet. Coaches get hired to run other programs etc...what makes Springs run so impressive is that they appear to be gaining momentum as they go on this quest and are actually getting stronger. Of course the argument can be made that Hampton/Phoebus played in a more competitive D5.

Thank you Forge Nation. Your program is TOP NOTCH. Well coached with really good players. Since 2011 we have had the opportunity to play the best in the state. 2012 we played Lake Taylor in State Semis.. Had the ropes. Great, Great team.. J. Holmes... 2013 Played Briar Woods twice with McSorley at QB.. Once in regular season and again in State Semis.. LOADED OFFENSE!!! They were just SCARY. Again we scrimmage Highland Springs every year. First scrimmage. Coach Johnson and I go WAY back. Long history. What separates HS from the other great teams we have coached against is they are "complete". Very good on offense and defense. Very very discipline. Coach does not put up with ANY shenanigans. He has high expectations with behavior and academics. It reflects on field. So they stress defense.. Strong front 7 that dominates. They have GREAT secondary play (Coach was a 4 year starter at VA Tech at CB). Combine that with a balance offense that can run and pass... With great talent that is discipline. They really do not have a weakness. It is not like you can pick on one of the corners... Or just line up and stop the run with a 9 man box.. They are complete all around. That is the difference I see in this team from others. They really do not have a weakness to exploit. If you beat them you need to be strong up front, FAST in the perimeter with WR/DBs... Physical at point of attack, discipline and tough.....fight every play. Very rare combination they possess. The biggest thing they posses is the belief that they are going to win and the toughness/discipline to win. After every one of our scrimmages you will see the Highland Springs Team running sprints and gassers at end... Nobody complaining, nobody pissing and moaning. They just run them as a team. Quiet. Pretty impressive to watch. Says a lot about their program.

Thank you Forge Nation. Your program is TOP NOTCH. Well coached with really good players. Since 2011 we have had the opportunity to play the best in the state. 2012 we played Lake Taylor in State Semis.. Had the ropes. Great, Great team.. J. Holmes... 2013 Played Briar Woods twice with McSorley at QB.. Once in regular season and again in State Semis.. LOADED OFFENSE!!! They were just SCARY. Again we scrimmage Highland Springs every year. First scrimmage. Coach Johnson and I go WAY back. Long history. What separates HS from the other great teams we have coached against is they are "complete". Very good on offense and defense. Very very discipline. Coach does not put up with ANY shenanigans. He has high expectations with behavior and academics. It reflects on field. So they stress defense.. Strong front 7 that dominates. They have GREAT secondary play (Coach was a 4 year starter at VA Tech at CB). Combine that with a balance offense that can run and pass... With great talent that is discipline. They really do not have a weakness. It is not like you can pick on one of the corners... Or just line up and stop the run with a 9 man box.. They are complete all around. That is the difference I see in this team from others. They really do not have a weakness to exploit. If you beat them you need to be strong up front, FAST in the perimeter with WR/DBs... Physical at point of attack, discipline and tough.....fight every play. Very rare combination they possess. The biggest thing they posses is the belief that they are going to win and the toughness/discipline to win. After every one of our scrimmages you will see the Highland Springs Team running sprints and gassers at end... Nobody complaining, nobody pissing and moaning. They just run them as a team. Quiet. Pretty impressive to watch. Says a lot about their program.
Thank you Coach Joe! You get it! It's so much more than football at HSHS. Every year, the majority of the team is honor roll students! This year is no different!
You are a class act and your program shows it too! Looking forward to seeing you guys next year! I was rooting for you to beat Stone Bridge... maybe next year!

I love the depth on the D-Front, Rotating 9 lineman to keep them fresh in the 4th quarter without any drop off in the rotation.

I still think this is the best,most complete HSHS team I have ever seen because of the depth at every position. Jmo of course!

Less favorably considering how watered down the playoffs are now compared to when it was AAA and where all the schools are grouped, however still an impressive run for HS.

Hampton is still the gold standard for VA in my opinion.

Less favorably considering how watered down the playoffs are now compared to when it was AAA and where all the schools are grouped, however still an impressive run for HS.

And I think Phoebus overall is the best program to date. Hampton had that great run but Phantoms have a decade plus of dominance, IMO.
I agree about how the current structure is "easier" so to speak, but I think HSHS will break the consecutive record next year.

The AAA format stopped in mid 80s.. in 86 the divisions are D5 and D6... if anything there has been a extra playoff game added since 2013... I disagree it is not easier.. if anything harder.

In the AAA D5/D6 era the only two coaches to win 4 straight is Loren Johnson and Mike Smith. So you start the debate of Mount Rushmore of coaches. Coach Johnson imo is on it and will win more championships.

Scary thing - I think Coach Johnson is either under 40 or he just recentky turned 40. Imagine if he coaches another 10 years.. records will be shattered.

When we played Phoebus 2011 - the year they won 4 straight the coach was not Dee. It was Sexton. So Dee did not win 4 straight. As far as I know that means Johnson and Smith.. pretty exclusive group.

When we played Phoebus 2011 - the year they won 4 straight the coach was not Dee. It was Sexton. So Dee did not win 4 straight. As far as I know that means Johnson and Smith.. pretty exclusive group.
I believe Coach Dee was at ODU at that time you're right but he did win 4 championships just not consecutively, thats like if Coach Johnson left HSHS now and the new coach inherited his depth. Coach Dee is up there with both coach's on the Mountain!!!

I guess the way it use to be AAA, AA etc., made me think-more teams=harder path. I was never up on VHSL classifications then so I can't say for fact it was "easier" more of an observation.

Don’t care who the “gold standard” is...Next year HSHS will win #5,and stand alone!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT